Page 65 of 397 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Night Of The Lepus
    Wasn't that that 60s sci-fi flick about a giant rabbit?

re: Night Of The Lepus,

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Wasn't that that 60s sci-fi flick about a giant rabbit?
    Mid 70's is more like it, and it was more than one rabbit, it was a whole colony of them, menacing a small town. After about 1966, it seems like DeForrest Kelley's entire career consisted of this, and Star Trek. I'm a doctor, not a leading man!

And for the record, right around the same time, Kingdom Of The Spiders was almost the exact same picture, only it was spiders, and William Shatner was the Star Trek escapee playing the lead role. Had a creepier ending too.

Anyone ever see Ssss from 1973 where a mad scientist turns his assistant into a snake? I saw it at a drive-in theater.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone ever see Ssss from 1973 where a mad scientist turns his assistant into a snake? I saw it at a drive-in theater.
    So did I. Hated it, as I recall.

Well, yeah, it was a piece of shit. A prime candidate for MST3K.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I believe Dirk Benedict, later famous as Starbuck on Battlestar Gallactica and Face on The A-Team, played said assistant. I can't remember if I actually enjoyed that one or not.

I can't remember the name of it, but there was another good movie from that era, with Bradford Dillman as a scientist in a small town plagued by these bizarre beetle like creatures that could start fires, that had been released from deep in the Earth by an earthquake. Then he does some sort of weird experiment where he takes a bunch of the pyromaniac beetles and crossbreeds them with other insects, and creates these super intelligent flying versions that, thanks to the wonder that is the vocoder, could speak. That was a weird one.

There were a lot of sort of what I call "nature run amok" movies in the 70's. Things like Night Of The Lepus, Kingdom Of The Spiders, Prophecy, and so on. Then you had things like the Jaws movies, and it's various knock offs, such as Orca, Tentacles, L'Ultimo Squalo, Up From The Depths, Barracuda (with music by Klaus Schulze!), Piranha, etc.

Then after Close Encounters Of The Third Kind came out, and with te interest in things like the Bermuda Triangle and UFO's, you got movies like Cave Of The Sharks, L'Ultimo SOS, and Bermuda Triangle.

And don't even get me started on all the sort of exploitation pictures that were popular too.

In short, the 70's were a weird time for B-movies.

I remember one called Frogs
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I remember one called Frogs
    Starring Sam Elliott and Ray Milland! Yeah, that was a good one. According to Wikipedia, Sam Elliott got his role in a subsequent picture, Lifeguards, based of the scene in Frogs where he's shown shirtless.

And of course, you can't bring up Ray Milland without discussing The Thing With Two Heads!

He was also in Escape To Witch Mountain.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-14-2018 at 02:13 AM.

I can't remember the name of it, but there was another good movie from that era, with Bradford Dillman as a scientist in a small town plagued by these bizarre beetle like creatures that could start fires, that had been released from deep in the Earth by an earthquake. Then he does some sort of weird experiment where he takes a bunch of the pyromaniac beetles and crossbreeds them with other insects, and creates these super intelligent flying versions that, thanks to the wonder that is the vocoder, could speak. That was a weird one.
    It was called Bug. It came out in '75. I saw it in the theater. I remember the cockroaches would spell out words on a wall.

I remember seeing the Shatner film about the spiders. The end was creepy. The whole town is covered in spider silk.

And for the record, right around the same time, Kingdom Of The Spiders was almost the exact same picture, only it was spiders, and William Shatner was the Star Trek escapee playing the lead role. Had a creepier ending too.
    For arachnophobes such as myself, the worst spider movie bar none. Way worse than Arachnophobia. Whatever they were paying those actors to allow those hairy tarantulas to hang onto them, it wasn't enough.

Funnily enough, Spiderman is my favorite superhero.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

I loved all those 70's natural horror movies as a kid . Ants, The Swarm, Ben, Grizzly, Piranha etc.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't want to get into Woody Allen's personal life, except to say I don't let it prevent me from enjoying his work. I love his movies, and really love a lot of his later movies. He just always seems to be able to come up with a great story, and as an artist just does what he wants. I think of him as the comedic Hitchcock.

But there are several of his more recent ones I haven't seen because I can't keep up! He sure is prolific.

RE: Penelope Cruz, she's just beautiful, and a very good actor. Love her in "Frida."

Yessssss!

Saw it when I was a kid. The hot teenaged babysitter put it on one night when my parents were out. Freaked me out. I just caught it on TV a couple months ago. It didn't age well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banderas has had some truly memorable performances: Mask of Zorro, The 13th Warrior, Desperado
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    And of course the Shrek movies.
    I love his performance in the Spy Kids movies ... but then, I'm a sucker for just about anything Rodriguez does. (I even like Shark Boy and Lava Girl.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yessssss!

Saw it when I was a kid. The hot teenaged babysitter put it on one night when my parents were out. Freaked me out. I just caught it on TV a couple months ago. It didn't age well.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, scary movie... we got it! Now, to the real question: did the hot babysitter age well?

I would also like to hear more about the hot babysitter.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

She got knocked-up at 17.

Haven't seen her in years. I imagine that life has been tough for the poor gal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    She got knocked-up at 17.

Haven't seen her in years. I imagine that life has been tough for the poor gal.
    I smell a Maury Povich episode coming up:

ScottBails & The Hot Babysitter Child DNA Reveal

The hot teenaged babysitter put it on one night when my parents were out. -- One could take that one sentence and run with it

Oh, yeah, movie thread...
    Anyone ever see The Babysitter?

I don't even think I had hit puberty yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    For arachnophobes such as myself, the worst spider movie bar none. Way worse than Arachnophobia. Whatever they were paying those actors to allow those hairy tarantulas to hang onto them, it wasn't enough.
    Well, I think that might have been the whole point.

This talk of babysitters reminds me of the late 80's movie Adventures In Babysitting. For those who've never seen it, the plot is a bit complex to actually describe. I think it was John Hughes picture, but I can't remember at the moment. But Albert Collins has a cameo ("Ain't nobody leaving til you sing the blues!"), and Vincent D'Onofrio demonstrates his ability to play roles that require him to wear a muscle t-shirt. I actually never realized it was him until years later, I couldn't believe it was the same guy who played Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket and that one police detective on Law & Order: Criminal Intent! And the rest of the movie is a hoot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I loved all those 70's natural horror movies as a kid . Ants, The Swarm, Ben, Grizzly, Piranha etc.
    A year or two ago, TCM ran Willard and Ben back to back. Willard I liked, it was suitably creepy for my tastes. But Ben came off like an attempt to make a "family friendly" version of Willard or something. It might not be the worst sequel ever (it's hard to top Jaws 4: The Revenge or the post-Steve Gutenberg Police Academies), but it was pretty damn close to it.

I seem to recall there were a couple different movies about killer ants. There was one called Empire Of The Ants, that had Joan Collins and an entire town being menaced by giant ants.

Ants, I believe, was a made for TV movie, originally titled It Happened At Lakewood Manor, with normal sized, but extremely aggressive, ants attacking people.

Aggressive Ants would be an excellent band name!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't want to get into Woody Allen's personal life, except to say I don't let it prevent me from enjoying his work. I love his movies, and really love a lot of his later movies. He just always seems to be able to come up with a great story, and as an artist just does what he wants. I think of him as the comedic Hitchcock.

But there are several of his more recent ones I haven't seen because I can't keep up! He sure is prolific.

RE: Penelope Cruz, she's just beautiful, and a very good actor. Love her in "Frida."
    Frida was Selma Hayek , not Cruz , IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    It was called Bug. It came out in '75. I saw it in the theater. I remember the cockroaches would spell out words on a wall.
    (Checking Wikipedia) Yeah, that wast he one. There's a scene where a bunch of the cockroaches somehow get into this woman's hair, and she runs around the house, panicked, with hair on fire, before somehow making it out to the barn behind the house, where she collapses and dies.

Then there's The Car, which I didn't like much, about a town being terrorized by a possessed, driverless, Lincoln Continental. James Brolin plays a sheriff who's girlfriend is killed when the Continental leaps through her house, running her down in the process.

And of course, that brings to me mind Duel, Steven Spielberg's first picture, which was originally made for TV, but later shown in theaters overseas.