Page 64 of 394 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Inferno: Dario Argento picture from 1980, the second of the Three Mothers trilogy. Good movie, had never seen it before. Very suspenseful. Oh, and the music was composed by some guy named Keith Emerson. Ever heard of him?! That's a joke, son, you're supposed to laugh it!

One caveat: if you're fond of cats, you might want to skip this one, there's a scene where a man throws a bunch of apparently feral cats into a bag and drowns them in Central Park. Don't worry, he gets his comeuppance.

I liked the ending to this one better than the ending of Suspiria, but again, it's a bit flat. As I said in an earlier post, a lot of sort of horror movies are like that, you're expecting a big ending, and you don't really get that a lot of times.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: God Told Me To,

You mean the bit on the courthouse steps, or the last reel in general? That's what happens with B-movies, sometimes you feel like the writer went down a cul-de-sac, as it were, and couldn't figure a suitable way out.
    The last reel in general. This was a very unique movie. I'll have to watch it again sometime.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Inferno: Dario Argento picture from 1980, the second of the Three Mothers trilogy. Good movie, had never seen it before. Very suspenseful. Oh, and the music was composed by some guy named Keith Emerson. Ever heard of him?! That's a joke, son, you're supposed to laugh it!

One caveat: if you're fond of cats, you might want to skip this one, there's a scene where a man throws a bunch of apparently feral cats into a bag and drowns them in Central Park. Don't worry, he gets his comeuppance.

I liked the ending to this one better than the ending of Suspiria, but again, it's a bit flat. As I said in an earlier post, a lot of sort of horror movies are like that, you're expecting a big ending, and you don't really get that a lot of times.
    This was a very visually pleasing sequel. Confusing though. I remember an awesome underwater scene...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

A progeezer is, of course, a geezer that has lost his (or her) amateur status....
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    A progeezer is, of course, a geezer that has lost his (or her) amateur status....
    A fact not lost on all the people I've had to clarify the meaning of my license plate to over the last 10 years.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Could be worse. You could have chosen the identity 'progelder.' Then you might have to explain that you do not professionally castrate horses.......or people who ask silly questions.

re: Inferno

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    This was a very visually pleasing sequel. Confusing though. I remember an awesome underwater scene...
    Yeah, it was slightly confusing, though for me, that might have been as much due to my relative difficulty in watching a movie in a single setting, unless it's live TV. I had to rewind the first quarter of the film and watch it again before I realized that Sara and Rose were two different women. And according to Wikipedia, the mysterious girl who's seen in a couple scenes in Rome is actually the third Mother, The Mother Of Tears, though it's never actually explained anywhere inside the movie itself.

I guess now I have to see The Mother Of Tears.

As for the u/w scene, that was kinda weird. Rose sneaks into the basement of the apartment building which is the home of Mater Tenebarerum (or however it's spelled), and finds a whole in the floor, and her locket falls into the pull of water, which appears to be filling some kind of sub-basement ballroom or living room or something. That didn't make any sense. But I remember being advised that when you're watching any of those overseas horror flicks or B-movies, the last thing you want to do is worry about what "doesn't make sense". Otherwise, you'll start to smell your brain burning.

Tonight I watched My Dinner with Hervé starring Peter Dinklage as Hervé Villechaize... I actually found it quite captivating and it moved at a good pace. Jamie Dornan was also impressive as the writer who interviews him. Worth a watch!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Watched Match Point, a Woody Allen drama from 2005 which I found excellent. I missed it at the time but I'm glad I gave it a watch. Brilliantly directed, without a moment of unnecessary dialogue. Two thumbs way up!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched Match Point, a Woody Allen drama from 2005 which I found excellent. I missed it at the time but I'm glad I gave it a watch. Brilliantly directed, without a moment of unnecessary dialogue. Two thumbs way up!
    Thank you for reminding me. The last of his movies I truly enjoyed was Hannah and Her Sisters and I saw 4 or 5 after that one. And then came all the lurid stories and I completely lost interest in him. The only ones that have interested me since have been Match Point, which I was going to see but forgot, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I actually own but haven't gotten around to seeing yet. And I have to confess that the primary purpose in getting it, which only cost me 2 or 3 bucks, was because Penelope Cruz & Scarlett Johansson star in it. I don't know why but I find Cruz sooooo sexy. Scarlett's easy on the eyes, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Apparently, Stan Lee passed away today.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Thank you for reminding me. The last of his movies I truly enjoyed was Hannah and Her Sisters and I saw 4 or 5 after that one. And then came all the lurid stories and I completely lost interest in him. The only ones that have interested me since have been Match Point, which I was going to see but forgot, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I actually own but haven't gotten around to seeing yet. And I have to confess that the primary purpose in getting it, which only cost me 2 or 3 bucks, was because Penelope Cruz & Scarlett Johansson star in it. I don't know why but I find Cruz sooooo sexy. Scarlett's easy on the eyes, too.
    Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a good one, I really enjoyed it. And oddly enough, it was Rebecca Hall who I found irresistible in that one, which is no small feat considering Scarlett is in it too!

the man in comics
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Talking about Stan Lee, I remember borrowing a book of Doctor Strange stories, apparently reprinted from the comics, from the library when I was about 7 or 8. That's how I knew who Stan Lee was, originally. I remember thinking "What kind of name is Stan Lee", but years later I found out that his given name was Stanley Leiber, but he made up a pen name from his first name to hide his ethnic background (something a lot of people did who went into entertainment back in those days, including Martin Sheen, Jamie Farr, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley).

About recent Woody Allen pictures, the only one I've really seen is Sweet And Low Down, with Sean Penn playing a "forgotten jazz guitarist" who is obsessed with Django Reinhardt. I wasn't really bothered by the accusations, for some reason. That stuff usually doesn't really bug me, for some reason. There's a lot of artistic types who were/are apparently not the most pleasant people to be around...drunks, drug addicts, wife beaters, racists, etc. Imagine all the music, movies, TV shows, theater productions, etc you'd have to disavow on the basis of the personal live s of the performers.

But anyway, Take The Money And Run, Sleeper, and especially Bananas are among my favorite movies by anyone. The cafe scene in Bananas, where he puts in what is effectively a massive catering order (something like 500 BLT's, 750 ham and cheese sandwiches-"Emilio wanted his on a role", 200 Cokes, 400 regular coffees and "Cole slaw for a thousand men!") remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. Same thing with the trial:

DA: State your name for the record
    Black woman: J Edgar Hoover
    DA: Please explain your appearance
    Black woman: I have many enemies and only go out in public in disguise

The bit where the literally gagged Woody gets the woman to confess, on the witness stand, to a murder, is also hilarious.

And how could forget Howard Cosell's play by play report on the assassination of El Presidente, complete with the post assassination interview.

And no, the fact that there's no way the Volkswagen could have started up after sitting there for 200 years doesn't bother me at all. Great scene, great movie. Lemmy must have liked it, too, because he named a song after an object in the picture.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-13-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Penelope Cruz
    She was brilliant in Don't Tempt Me, but I haven't seen much of her work since she went Hollywood. Same thing with Antonio Banderas, I think the only thing I've ever seen him in is Tie Me Up Tie Me Down.

And no, the fact that there's no way the Volkswagen could have started up after sitting there for 200 years doesn't bother me at all. Great scene, great movie. Lemmy must have liked it, too, because he named a song after an object in the picture.
    the Volkswagon thing was in Sleeper
    one of my favorite comedies of all time BTW
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the Volkswagon thing was in Sleeper
    I never said it wasn't.

And the man who voiced your avatar, Douglas Rain, passed away on the 11th.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Same thing with Antonio Banderas, I think the only thing I've ever seen him in is Tie Me Up Tie Me Down.
    He plays Picasso in Genius: Pablo Picasso. I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen a couple episodes of the Einstein one and it's fantastic. Banderas has gotten very good reviews for the role.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The last two Allen films I enjoyed were Midnight in Paris and Match Point. But his toxic rep makes his stuff pretty difficult to enjoy now. I guess I can still stomach the early 70s classics. I was just thinking about "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" with Tony Randall as one of the controllers in "the brain".

Banderas has had some truly memorable performances: Mask of Zorro, The 13th Warrior, Desperado
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Banderas has had some truly memorable performances: Mask of Zorro, The 13th Warrior, Desperado
    And of course the Shrek movies.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The last two Allen films I enjoyed were Midnight in Paris and Match Point. But his toxic rep makes his stuff pretty difficult to enjoy now.

Blue Jasmine was really good also
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The last two Allen films I enjoyed were Midnight in Paris and Match Point. But his toxic rep makes his stuff pretty difficult to enjoy now. I guess I can still stomach the early 70s classics. I was just thinking about "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" with Tony Randall as one of the controllers in "the brain".
    "Attention! We're going for seconds! I repeat: we're going for the record!"

Burt Reynolds is also in that scene. I loved the What's My Perversion scene, largely because Regis Philbin (who I dont' think was famous yet, at that point) is in it. I forget what his line was, I think he asks the guy "Are you a rapist?!". And who could forget Rabbi Brommel, who enjoyed being tied up by a woman?
    Yeah, I know, there's a few of his pictures I've meant to see, it's just you can't see every movie, and one does kind of getting bogged down with all the Jaws knockoffs and Star Trek alumni pictures (seriously? You've never seen Kingdom Of The Spiders? Or Night Of The Lepus?! Or the remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers?).

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    And the man who voiced your avatar, Douglas Rain, passed away on the 11th.
    I remember reading an article about 2010 when it came out, and one of the challenges in that picture was Rain having to relearn how to talk the way he did in 2001: A Space Odyssey. They wanted HAL to sound as much like he did in the earlier movie as possible, so he had to listen to his dialog in the first movie and mimic the way he had sounded in 1967 or whenever it was.

BTW, does anyone besides me know the real world reason why HAL sings Bicycle Built For Two in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Black Butterfly, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico were both quite good as well.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence