Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Been rewatching 70s British horror anthologies from Amicus

1) Tales From The Crypt
    2) From Beyond The Grace
    3) Asylum
    4) Vault of Horror
    5) The House that Dripped Blood

Tales is the best one, but they all have their charm
    Is Vault Of Horror the one where the four guys are in a room, and each tell a story of a nightmare he keeps having, and then at the end, it turns out each of them are actually dead and are paying for their wicked lives by reliving their macabre deaths? A pre Doctor Who Tom Baker, I believe, is one of the men, playing an artist who painted pictures depicting the violent deaths of his enemies, who were then killed in the exact fashion as depicted in the pictures.

Well, the latest couple of movies I've watched off TCM recent spate of Halloween season airings:

Mark Of The Vampire: a man is murdered, apparently drained of blood, and a policeman and his associates must prove who did it and how/why. I can't tell you much else about it without giving away the ending, but Bela Lugosi is in it, and he gives a perfect performance. This one seems to be being played slightly for laughs, but I enjoyed it.

The Devil Bat: Another Lugosi picture, this time playing a mad scientist, who devises of a means of creating mutant giant bats, then training them to attack his enemies. Again, Lugosi is great in this picture, as is the rest of the cast. Very good if you don't mind the how primitive the "devil bats" look (actually, they don't look that bad, but remember, this is 1940, so don't expect any Ray Harryhausen level wizardry in the special effects department). I spent 3/4's of the picture trying to figure out where I recognized Dave O'Brien, the actor who plays the newspaper reporter, from, then I realized he was in Reefer Madness. He's "Faster! Play it faster!".

I'm bummed that Saturday morning, TCM showed The Hand (early 80's Michael Caine flick, the title should give you an idea what it's about, directed by some guy named Oliver Stone) and then Sunday morning, they showed The House Of Dark Shadows and The Horror Of Dark Shadows. I forget which of the Dark Shadows was Kate Jackson's first picture, but I thought she was totally hot in it. Anyway, there wasn't enough room on the DVR for the movies, and I couldn't stay up because I work on the weekends now and have to be up at 7:00am on both Saturday and Sunday.

I did have room for Curse Of The Cat People this morning, so that will probably be what i watch tonight after work, along with Wizards, probably.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I enjoyed it even despite its innacuracies. I didn't expect documentary realism, and like all biopics they often mess with timelines and beggar about with the chronology.

I thought The later sequences were better than the early formative years. Malek is extraordinary as Freddie though, and I really felt for him, especially during the later sequences.

Gwilym Lee was also impressive as Brian May and I didn't even mind Joseph Mazello's John Deacon, but Ben Harper didn't really register as Roger Taylor. The Live Aid sequence was extraordinary and pretty much worth the price of admission on its own.

this October has been busy with some personal things, but in our bits of spare time we have been doing a little retrospective of larry cohen movies. there is a new documentary about him out so we are working up to watching that sometime soon. not truly a horror director but a good number of his films fit the bill. I gotta say lots of great movies that I had never really heard of, he always has some interesting angle to take so I have found this little trip very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm bummed that Saturday morning, TCM showed The Hand (early 80's Michael Caine flick, the title should give you an idea what it's about, directed by some guy named Oliver Stone)
    Haven't seen that in an age!

and then Sunday morning, they showed The House Of Dark Shadows and The Horror Of Dark Shadows. I forget which of the Dark Shadows was Kate Jackson's first picture, but I thought she was totally hot in it. Anyway, there wasn't enough room on the DVR for the movies, and I couldn't stay up because I work on the weekends now and have to be up at 7:00am on both Saturday and Sunday.
    I love those flicks, but I'm the only guy who prefers Night of... (I assume you meant that and not Horror of...)

I did have room for Curse Of The Cat People this morning, so that will probably be what i watch tonight after work, along with Wizards, probably.
    All Things Bakshi =

[QUOTE=dropforge;852764]Haven't seen that in an age!

I love those flicks, but I'm the only guy who prefers Night of... (I assume you meant that and not Horror of...)
    Probably. I used to watch Dark Shadows when it was rerun on one of the local channels back in the 80's. I don't know which of the two movies I've seen before, but it's the one with Kate Jackson in it.

All Things Bakshi =
    Yeah, I've generally liked everything I've seen from him, with Wizards maybe being the favorite. I'd like to see American Pop again, I saw it back when I was in high school, I think, but not since then, I don't think. Well, no, I think I might have seen it once or twice during the 90's, when VH-1 was showing "rock n roll movies". And I've never seen Fritz The Cat (though I did see the sequel, The Nine Lives Of Fritz The Cat, when Showtime it aired it about 15 years ago, it was funny the first time, but then the second time I watched it, I was less impressed it...and yeah, I know Bakshi had nothing to do with the sequel).

Unfortunately, I came home from work to find that about 3 hours ago, the AT&T U-verse receiver rebooted, which means I probably won't have access to the DVR for another week.

You can score an American Pop DVD for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You can score an American Pop DVD for $5.
    I'll have to look into that. There's a lot of things that should be on my DVD shelf, but aren't. Big gaps in my Doctor Who collection, for instance,I don't have any Godzilla stuff, and not much in the B movie department. I do have a special edition copy of Evil Dead, that a came in a Necronomicon jewel box (the jewel box is covered in this sponge rubber material that's made to look like the cover of the Necronomicon), though.

And I have thay extended cut version of The Blues Brothers, also, as well as lots of music DVD's (e.g. The Who, The Grateful Dead, Queen, Iron Maiden, Hawkwind, Steve Hackett, Steve Hillage, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Magma, Kiss, Leonard Bernstein, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody - I enjoyed it even despite its innacuracies. I didn't expect documentary realism, and like all biopics they often mess with timelines and beggar about with the chronology..
    Glad to hear an optimistic report about the picture. I need to find out where it's playing near me. As a life long Queen fan, I'm going to have see this one.

I saw an interview with Rami Malek where he was saying that the Freddy overbite fake teeth hurt after a few minutes each time he had them in, and he almost lost them once while lip-synching to Freddy's voice w/filming.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Glad to hear an optimistic report about the picture. I need to find out where it's playing near me. As a life long Queen fan, I'm going to have see this one.
    I guarantee many will have issues with liberties taken with the timeline, and other innacuracies. But in the end it won me over.

This is me as well. The trailers I've seen make it pretty clear that Malek nails Freddie physically, and I've been impressed with him in Mr. Robot, so I think he'll be convincing in the character. Apart from that, it's a feature film and not a documentary, so I don't expect much in terms of historical veracity.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Well, apart from the fact that you misspelled Freddie, that's interesting to hear. Yeah, I can imagine wearing fake teeth can be painful. I know partials are.
    Somehow I'll muddle along even after losing the psycho fan spelling bee, Chris.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Somehow I'll muddle along even after losing the psycho fan spelling bee, Chris.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I guarantee many will have issues with liberties taken with the timeline, and other innacuracies. But in the end it won me over.
    How hard would it have been to get the timeline right, and what advantage could there be in futzing with it? <smh>

I'm still looking fwd to it, but Hollywood can't help but suck, apparently.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Well, pretty much anything that purports to be "based on a true story" is gonna a certain amount of dren in it. The film industry (whether Hollywood or otherwise) seems to thing that all stories need to be "embellished" for dramatic purposes or whatever. I've probably done this before, but I give you a few examples off the top fo my head:

<snip>

So it's not surprising that maybe certain things are exaggerated or presented in an ostensibly incorrect fashion in the Bohemian Rhapsody picture. I'm not the biggest Queen scholar, but I have read about three books about the band's history, and I've watched plenty of documentaries on them, so I'm curious to see if I can spot the BS in this picture.
    And it's all for entertainment. Sometimes it's better to enjoy a movie without dissecting it to the Nth degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    And it's all for entertainment. Sometimes it's better to enjoy a movie without dissecting it to the Nth degree.
    That's true. You kinda have to switch off the part of your mind that says "that didn't really happen", or "That guy's playing the wrong guitar" or whatever. If you ignore the historical inaccuracies, The Buddy Holly Story is actually a pretty good movie. Also worth noting that's really Gary Busey, Don Stroud and Charles Martin Smith playing all those songs in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Hereditary. Excellent horror film.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    BBC list of top 25 foreign language films

25. YiYi
    24. Battleship Potemkin
    23. The Passion of Joan of Arc
    22. Pans Labyrinth
    21. A Seperation
    20. The Mirror
    19. The Battle Of Algiers
    18. A City of Sadness
    17. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
    16. Metropolis
    15. Pather Panchali
    14. Jeanne Dielman...
    13. M
    12. Farewell My Concubine
    11. Breathless
    10. La Dolce Vita
    9. In the Mood for Love
    8. The 400 Blows
    7. 8 1/2
    6. Persona
    5. The Rules of the Game
    4. Rashomon
    3. Tokyo Story
    2. Bicycle Thieves
    1. Seven Samurai
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    BBC list of top 25 foreign language films
    I've only seen 10 of those, possibly 11 (I think I've seen The Bicycle Thieves). Of those, I'd rank the top 5 as The 400 Blows, M, Persona, The Rules of the Game, and 8, in that order. If Umberto D was on that list instead of The Bicycle Thieves, I'd put it ahead of 8.

I sometimes don't understand these lists. There are two Fellini movies and two Kurosawa movies. So, why isn't The Seventh Seal on that list? And Breathless??? I've never understood the love for that movie or for Godard. And as for Fellini, I liked Nights of Cabiria more than 8; haven't seen La Dolce Vita.

And why isn't Alain Resnais on that list? It also seems like there's someone else missing.

I am surprised, tho, that Pan's Labyrinth made it. It's deserving, but given the other movies, wouldn't think it'd be there.

BTW, Ian, you might be getting a little too high brow for this thread.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh I've only seen one of those, Pan's Labyrinth, which I liked, I just thought it might be an interesting list for others.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've only seen 10 of those, possibly 11 (I think I've seen The Bicycle Thieves). Of those, I'd rank the top 5 as The 400 Blows, M, Persona, The Rules of the Game, and 8, in that order. If Umberto D was on that list instead of The Bicycle Thieves, I'd put it ahead of 8.

I sometimes don't understand these lists. There are two Fellini movies and two Kurosawa movies. So, why isn't The Seventh Seal on that list? And Breathless??? I've never understood the love for that movie or for Godard. And as for Fellini, I liked Nights of Cabiria more than 8; haven't seen La Dolce Vita.

And why isn't Alain Resnais on that list? It also seems like there's someone else missing.

I am surprised, tho, that Pan's Labyrinth made it. It's deserving, but given the other movies, wouldn't think it'd be there.

BTW, Ian, you might be getting a little too high brow for this thread.
    I liked Night of Cabira more than 8 1/2 too. BBC probably tired to limit each director to a 2 or 3 films. I also would have included at least one more Bergman.

[QUOTE=NogbadTheBad;853285]BBC list of top 25 foreign language films

Interesting list, mine would also include:

The Lives of Others
    Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
    Les Diaboliques
    Tu veux un camembert?

Les Enfants Du Paradis (Children of Paradise) would be near the top of my list.