Page 5 of 394 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Speaking of Life Aquatic, I'll watch Wes Anderson films just about any time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think my favorite Bill Murray movie is What About Bob?, however, The Life Aquatic delighted me to my toes. The running jokes in the film are tremendous: the absurd aquatic life, the Portuguese David Bowie covers, the Willem Dafoe subplot. There are so many good things about that film!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I think my favorite Bill Murray movie is What About Bob?, however, The Life Aquatic delighted me to my toes. The running jokes in the film are tremendous: the absurd aquatic life, the Portuguese David Bowie covers, the Willem Dafoe subplot. There are so many good things about that film!
    I've got a friend who does these marine biology volunteer things with dolphins. On many occasions he and his group have all worn red toques in homage to Life Aquatic. Me and my friend have a running joke that we each consider each other the B Squad leader

Another one that I bet many here would drop everything to catch a repeat viewing, especially if uncensored: Die Hard
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Another one that I bet many here would drop everything to catch a repeat viewing, especially if uncensored: Die Hard
    Just turned 30. Good article on why it is such a classic: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...l-action-movie

I keep remembering my "guilty pleasures". I, Robot. I think this is a great B movie. Great reveal one third of the way in, great action sequences. I love the way the malevolent robots move, there is an excellent (i didn't use "great" again) robot v robot fight scene in a hallway. And so on...

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You know, to save yourself some typing, all you probably needed to say for that one was "Jamie Lee Curtis topless".
    Well, I could have said that in addition to the other stuff I said about Trading Places, though I don't know why it didn't occur to me say it. Thinking about it, though, maybe I could have edited a bit of the other stuff I posted about that one.

DAMMIT! And I forgot Flash Gordon. How could I forget that?! "What a damn nuisance!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My favorite line from Meatballs: “How can a guy have a hook on his foot?”
    Mine is probably: "We were playing for peanuts. Tomorrow night, we play for real stakes: zucchini!"

Also, the sarcastic/facetious/mischievous spiel he gives to the news crew about why Camp Mohawk's tuition fee is so high, is great, too, as are most of the PA announcements ("Tonight's Mystery Meat was veal! Yes, that's right! Veal!"). Also, the running gag of hijacking Morty's bed, with him in it, and planting in various places outside his cabin, is brilliant too.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Let it Ride is another I could watch over and over. What a cavalcade of crazy characters.

I will also add a nod for anything from Wes Anderson and the Coens.

And how could I possibly forget It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World???
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I will also add a nod for anything from Wes Anderson and the Coens.

And how could I possibly forget It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World???
    Speaking of Buster Keaton , I would also add A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum.
    Much to laugh about there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    What a cavalcade of crazy characters.
    Do check out the 1998 Serbian comedy "Black Cat White Cat" for crazy characters.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Add "Running Scared" with Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal.
    All of those 80s buddy cops movies are a blast.

A couple more sleepers:

Gold (2013)
    Unconventional moody Western that takes place during the Klondike gold rush.

Take Me To The River (2015)
    Midwest family reunion sparks old perverted secrets.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Speaking of wacky westerns -- aside from the obvious Mel Brooks suspect --

Evil Roy Slade, starring John Astin and Dick Shawn.
    Rustler's Rhapsody, starring Tom Beringer, Andy Griffith, and Patrick (son of John) Wayne.
    The Villain, starring Kirk Douglas as Wile E. Coyote and Arnold Schwarzenegger as - more or less - the Roadrunner.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Fully agree about 52 Pickup, a truly underrated gem.
    I agree that Glover was wonderfully sleazy as the main villain, but I also loved Clarence Williams III as the quietly menacing, soft-spoken Bobby Shy. In fact the whole trio of villains in that movie practically ARE the movie.
    Remember Vanity (R.I.P.) in that flick?

What a beautiful girl she was, and that pillow scene with Clarence is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Remember Vanity (R.I.P.) in that flick?
    Speaking of Vanity, TCM had a double feature of her pictures on TCM Underground last night. They showed Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon, and Never Too Young To Die. The latter is the one where Gene Simmons plays a ridiculous hermaphrodite/megalomaniac. The cast also includes General Hospital escapee John Stamos and James Bond escapee George Lazenby. I watched a little bit of it, then had to turn it off. Watching The Demon do this ridiculous, over the top, drag queen thing was making me physically ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Evil Roy Slade, starring John Astin and Dick Shawn.
    Rustler's Rhapsody, starring Tom Beringer, Andy Griffith, and Patrick (son of John) Wayne.
    The Villain, starring Kirk Douglas as Wile E. Coyote and Arnold Schwarzenegger as - more or less - the Roadrunner.
    The Ballad of Cable Hogue. Stella Stevens as a prostitute. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Speaking of Vanity, TCM had a double feature of her pictures on TCM Underground last night. They showed Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon, and Never Too Young To Die. The latter is the one where Gene Simmons plays a ridiculous hermaphrodite/megalomaniac. The cast also includes General Hospital escapee John Stamos and James Bond escapee George Lazenby. I watched a little bit of it, then had to turn it off. Watching The Demon do this ridiculous, over the top, drag queen thing was making me physically ill.
    To put it in perspective, he IS demon Chaim Weitz, which certainly mitigates his ferocity.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    To put it in perspective, he IS demon Chaim Weitz, which certainly mitigates his ferocity.
    Yeah, I suppose I see your point. A guy who, if it hadn't been for rock n roll, would have been either a rabbi or a diamond merchant doesn't seem very scary, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Don't forget another Kirk Douglas vehicle, There Was A Crooked Man.

Sicario - Day of Soldado

Heavy action sequel to Sicario from a few years ago. Brings back Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro to fight the Mexican cartels.
    This time, there are no rules. Brolin and Del Toro team to start a war between the cartels, who have been found to help terrorists
    across the border. More action and violence than the first one. I thought this one was better. Del Toro seems to have been born
    for this role. Recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The Ninth Configuration
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
    Wow, nice choice! Early Roth and Oldman taking on those roles... haven't seen it for ages, thanks for the reminder.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sicario - Day of Soldado

Heavy action sequel to Sicario from a few years ago. Brings back Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro to fight the Mexican cartels.
    This time, there are no rules. Brolin and Del Toro team to start a war between the cartels, who have been found to help terrorists
    across the border. More action and violence than the first one. I thought this one was better. Del Toro seems to have been born
    for this role. Recommended!

I liked the first one better.
    Better written, more surprises , huge payoff ending and Emily Blunt.

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Very worthy sequel to the surprising original. Tons of action and humor. The gist of this one is the attempt to get Michael Douglas' wife back.
    If you liked the first, this is a no brainer!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence