Page 48 of 394 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

A sfor Disney, I tend to be fond of the 60's and 70's era live action pictures, things like The Computer Wore Sneakers (maybe my fifth favorite Kurt Russell picture), The Devil And Max Devlin, The North Avenue Irregulars, Pete's Dragon, etc. Yeha, it was a far cry from the classics of the 40's and 50's, but those films were really cool, at once "family entertainment", and yet at the same time, still slightly psychedelic, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Come to think of it, Fisher Stevens was in two of my favorite 80's pictures.
    Let me guess: My Science Project and Short Circuit. MSP was the first thing I saw him in.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Every 2 weeks I get out of my place for my cleaning person & do a theater movie. Since I'm not into horror or Marvel etc., in 2018 my choices get thinned.

Expecting little more than mindless entertainment, I was really impressed with A Simple Favor. Not being into the Pitch Perfect/Glee school, I wasn't that familiar with the immense talent of Anna Kendrick until today.

This is a surprisingly good WTF? movie with (imo the exception & not the rule) numerous plot twists without any plot holes. Blake Lively & Jean Smart are also very good, but Kendrick sure as hell isn't one trick pony.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Every 2 weeks I get out of my place for my cleaning person & do a theater movie. Since I'm not into horror or Marvel etc., in 2018 my choices get thinned.

Expecting little more than mindless entertainment, I was really impressed with A Simple Favor. Not being into the Pitch Perfect/Glee school, I wasn't that familiar with the immense talent of Anna Kendrick until today.

This is a surprisingly good WTF? movie with (imo the exception & not the rule) numerous plot twists without any plot holes. Blake Lively & Jean Smart are also very good, but Kendrick sure as hell isn't one trick pony.
    I really enjoyed Kendrick in Mr Right. Also stars Sam Rockwell as a hitman who's smitten with her. Good movie , fun to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Let me guess: My Science Project and Short Circuit. MSP was the first thing I saw him in.
    My Science Project, yes. Classic movie with lots of great lines. One of my favorites:

Gladiator: (shouts something in Latin)
    Vince: What's he saying, Sherman?!
    Sherman: He says he's going to kick our ass!

(For what it's worth, the novelization gives the translation as "Those about to die, I salute you")

Short Circuit, no. Short Circuit is an ok movie, but not really one of my favorites. I was actually thinking something a little more...estoric, maybe a little more artsy fartsy, and definitely a lot less "Family entertainment". Anyone else want to take a stab?

Short Circuit 2?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Jean Smart from Designing Women?!

YUP!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I forgot she was in that! Wow... Time flies.

Thought she was great in season 2 of Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I forgot she was in that! Wow... Time flies.

Thought she was great in season 2 of Fargo.
    She was good on Legion, too. That was the funny thing, I'm watching Legion, and I'm thinking, "Wait, I recognize that face", then I saw her name in the closing credits, and put it together. Curiously enough, one of the TV channels we got on our service, something called FETV, has been rerunning Designing Women lately, so I've been watching that again for about the first time in around 25 years. Kinda neat that a lot of these old shows that I haven't seen in so long finally bobbing to the surface again.

Short Circuit 2?
    No not Short Circuit 2 (one of the lesser sequels I've seen in my lifetime...makes Jaws 3-D look like On The Waterfront, in comparison)

I'll give a hint: it involves a card trick, and a literal underground railroad.

She was good on Legion, too. That was the funny thing, I'm watching Legion, and I'm thinking, "Wait, I recognize that face", then I saw her name in the closing credits, and put it together. Curiously enough, one of the TV channels we got on our service, something called FETV, has been rerunning Designing Women lately, so I've been watching that again for about the first time in around 25 years. Kinda neat that a lot of these old shows that I haven't seen in so long finally bobbing to the surface again.
    Oh I completely forgot she was in Legion also. I've only seen the first season, but yes she was very good there. Keep meaning to watch the second one before I accidentally spoil it for myself.

Oh, and some guy named Rick Wakeman did the music. What else has he done?
    "Creepshow 2." Otherwise, he's pretty obscure.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Mandy (2018)

If you like 70s grindhouse, 80s horror, psychedelic satanic cults and blood soaked revenge films, then Mandy is for you.

Plus, it stars Nicolas Cage as our insane maniacal hero.

On Amazon video
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

...great. Now I have the Barry Manilow tune stuck in my head. Thanks nosebone.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...great. Now I have the Barry Manilow tune stuck in my head. Thanks nosebone.
    The movie is set in 1983 and King Crimson's Starless is played over the opening credits.

I'll give a hint: it involves a card trick, and a literal underground railroad.
    The Brother From Another Planet? I remember when it was first released (IIRC, it was shown at the Neptune Theater in Seattle) and I always wanted to see it. John Sayles is a pretty good indie director but I've only seen three of his movies: Lianna, Matewan, and Eight Men Out.

Lianna was good but nothing special. It's about a married woman who comes out as a lesbian. When I saw it, the theater was at least ¾ full and just about every person there was a lesbian. lol

Matewan is a fictionalized account of the Battle of Matewan and stars Chris Cooper in his first movie. Definitely worth checking out.

Eight Men Out is about the Black Sox scandal and stars John Cusack, Christopher Lloyd, Charlie Sheen, David Strathairn, and DB Sweeny as players for the White Sox. John Mahoney plays the manager and Michael Lerner plays Jewish mobster Arnold Rothstein. This movie is worth looking for. FWIW, Eight Men Out and For Love of the Game are my favorite baseball movies.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The movie is set in 1983 and King Crimson's Starless is played over the opening credits.
    Nice! I'll add it to my list. Nicolas Cage is a love/hate with me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Nice! I'll add it to my list. Nicolas Cage is a love/hate with me.

He's perfect for this one

The Brother From Another Planet? I remember when it was first released (IIRC, it was shown at the Neptune Theater in Seattle) and I always wanted to see it. John Sayles is a pretty good indie director but I've only seen three of his movies: Lianna, Matewan, and Eight Men Out.
    You got it. I think Brother From Another Planet might be the only John Sayles picture I've seen. Great, great film. Joe Morton is perfect in the title role, he does the entire picture without saying a single word.

I saw this mini-series on TCM about the history of film, at when they got up to the 80's, Sayles was one of the people who is interviewed, and he talks about why one might choose to work as an "indie" director instead of working for one of the big studios. He says that many of his friends who are also directors say "You should have seen my cut", meaning that the producer or the studio took the picture out of the director's hands, and re-edited it (happens all the time, either because they think the movie's too long, or they think the lesbian scenes will alienate "mainstream audiences", or they don't like the ending, or they want to add a bunch of inconsequential rock songs to the soundtrack, etc). He pauses and says, "Well, I've never had to say that".

You got it. I think Brother From Another Planet might be the only John Sayles picture I've seen. Great, great film. Joe Morton is perfect in the title role, he does the entire picture without saying a single word.

I saw this mini-series on TCM about the history of film, at when they got up to the 80's, Sayles was one of the people who is interviewed, and he talks about why one might choose to work as an "indie" director instead of working for one of the big studios. He says that many of his friends who are also directors say "You should have seen my cut", meaning that the producer or the studio took the picture out of the director's hands, and re-edited it (happens all the time, either because they think the movie's too long, or they think the lesbian scenes will alienate "mainstream audiences", or they don't like the ending, or they want to add a bunch of inconsequential rock songs to the soundtrack, etc). He pauses and says, "Well, I've never had to say that".
    Personally I'm a fan of lesbian scenes.

Me too though I prefer to study them in shorter works.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Did you say your "works" were shorter, Jer? (nyuk, nyuk )

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Robert Stigwood wasn't. He was the producer of Times Square, and he cut some "lesbian content" from the movie, while at the time adding songs to the soundtrack that the director felt were "inappropriate", thus compromising the film's integrity. And apparently the cut footage is now "missing", so there's little chance of a "director's cut" ever being possible. Kinda makes one wish Don Arden had gone ahead and had Stigwood shoved out of a third floor window.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The best one I've seen is in Bound, partly because of its authenticity, but also because of how hot Gina Gershon's body is.

I remember The Hunger having a really good one, too, with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve but it's been 30+ years since I've seen it so I can't really compare. I've seen others but they usually have the signature of a man's misconceived notion of how lesbians make love, which doesn't preclude them from being good but, unfortunately, they usually are.