Page 47 of 397 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I was merely skimming and from this casual viewer it appeared to be that (DC versus Marvel).

Just remember that it takes two to make an argument, a fact that I need to remember for myself also.
    I can totally see how it would appear that way.

And you're right about it taking two to make an argument. Next time dropforge rails against Kevin Feige, I won't even try to engage in a discussion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Thank you Dropforge! Hollywood should put you in charge of female superhero wardrobe!
    We cam dream.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Next time dropforge rails against Kevin Feige, I won't even try to engage in a discussion about it.
    And I'll try to ignore your next diss of Zack "Da Boss" Snyder.

Lucky--small indie film staring Harry Dean Stanton, dealing with old age and reflecting on his ultimate demise.

Bruce Almighty--Jim Carrey story where he gets to play God for a while.

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls--the sequel, made me laugh.

Open Water--a couple goes skin diving, only to be left out in the middle of the sea in shark infested waters.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves--sort of blockbuster-ish, sort of dated, but crowd pleaser I guess. Sort of like Ewoks of Sherwood Forest.

Shock Waves--sort of Nazi, zombie horror--older film with Brooke Adams. She was the main draw.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    And I'll try to ignore your next diss of Zack "Da Boss" Snyder.
    I wasn't trying to diss him. I just don't like what he did with BvS and Justice League.

And to be fair, he also produced Wonder Woman, which I really liked. So in addition to Patty Jenkins, he also deserves commendation on that one IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    And to be fair, he also produced Wonder Woman, which I really liked. So in addition to Patty Jenkins, he also deserves commendation on that one IMO.
    I'd give a lot more credit to the director than I would to one of the producers.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd give a lot more credit to the director than I would to one of the producers.
    Zack co-wrote the story and he's also responsible for casting Gal Gadot,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well so would I. But Zack was still involved in that movie and helped it get made. That’s all I was saying.

I’m very interested in seeing what the sequel will be like, and was glad that Patty Jenkins returned to direct.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I'd just rather they start at the beginning and get to later stuff in the sequels. You said that they've cast a Mar-Vell character. Are they just going to ignore his "history" as Captain Marvel?

If she was getting it on with Mar-Vell in '69, (yeah, I know) it would be taking place during the relevant years for me, so I'll have to check a little closer.
    Dunno. From the trailer there's plenty of connection to the Kree, but I assume he'll have a secondary role with less background, she's the lead. They're reinventing things enough that this movie won't just be a Marvel version of the Green Lantern movie.

Anyway, it appears this Danvers version of the story will begin in the 80s. The trailer shows a Blockbuster Video, Nick Fury is young and has both eyes, and Coulson has a full hairline.

Thing is, they have to make it fit into the current movie universe where superheroes didn't exist in the open until 10 years ago, and threats from space were non-existent. There are only a handful of heroes in this movie universe that existed earlier. So, to make it fit, she'll likely be grounded by Fury and SHIELD for a couple of decades, or spend a lot of time in outer space. They'll have to explain how a hero with such awesome cosmic power, who established herself on Earth in the 80s, wasn't around during the first Avengers movie when Loki brought the Chitauri army from space.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Open Water--a couple goes skin diving, only to be left out in the middle of the sea in shark infested waters.
    Lame ending, I thought.

Shock Waves--sort of Nazi, zombie horror--older film with Brooke Adams. She was the main draw.
    Also starring John Carradine, Peter Cushing (apparently, he went straight from doing this to doing a certain George Lucas picture we're all familiar with), and Luke Halpin. Yeah, I know you're thinking, "Luke WHO?!", he played Sandy in the original two Flipper movies and TV series from the 60's, and as such, was a teen idol at the time. After the TV show ended, did a few acting jobs here and there, including this movie but he actually became a boat captain, according to the audio commentary on the Shock Waves DVD, he actually had a license to pilot the boat the they were using in the picture. Later, he worked behind the scenes on practically everything that was produced in South Florida, during the 80's. He was a marine stunt coordinator on Miami Vice, for instance.

ANother interesting thing about Shock Waves, not so much the movie itself, but again on the audio commentary, the director is talking about how he was in pre-production for a subsequent picture of his called Eyes Of A Stranger (which Luke Halpin also appears in, incidentally) when Halloween came out and took off as a hit. He said the studio came to him, and basically "politely asked" that he turn the movie into a "slasher" picture. Originally the killer in his movie was supposed to strangle his victims, but the studio wanted him to use a knife, and naturally, make it as graphic as possible. I guess the point being that movies like Halloween and Friday The 13th really did change the horror movie market.

Shock Waves itself, though, is a pretty good movie, very atmospheric. I love the shots of the Nazis rising up out of the water. Very effective work there.

Open Water: the ending: I'd have to disagree. Given the circumstances I thought it was fairly realistic, if indeed something like that happened or at least one of the two scenarios given the direction where everything was going. Hard to say much without spoiling it.
    Last edited by hippypants; 09-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Open Water: the ending: I'd have to disagree. Given the circumstances I thought it was fairly realistic, if indeed something like that happened or at least one of the two scenarios given the direction where everything was going. Hard to say much without spoiling it.
    Yeah, I know, it's perhaps the most "realistic" ending possible, I guess given the whole direction of that movie, anything else would have been too much of a deus ex machina. I dunno, I just found that whole movie annoying, for various reasons.

If you liked the feel of Open Water you may want to check out a movie called Frozen. Similar "oh fuck! We are left here?!!!" vibe, but on a ski lift
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    If you liked the feel of Open Water you may want to check out a movie called Frozen.
    At first, I thought you meant the Disney animated movie and wondered what the connection was with a movie like Open Water.

I didn't even think of that...yes, it's a slightly different Frozen. Less singing.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

If you liked the feel of Open Water you may want to check out a movie called Frozen. Similar "oh fuck! We are left here?!!!" vibe, but on a ski lift
    Absolutely! Was pleasantly surprised by how good this was.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I didn't even think of that...yes, it's a slightly different Frozen. Less singing.
    Less singing is always good with Disney.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Open water was a terrifyingly grim movie.

Recommended for fans of dread laden horror.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I've heard from some parents that Frozen gets pretty horrifying once their little carpet crawlers watch it for the 40th time
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've heard from some parents that Frozen gets pretty horrifying once their little carpet crawlers watch it for the 40th time
    I ran screaming from the room as soon as the first song started.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So....you didn't want to build a snowman?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'll check out Frozen.

Watched a PBS special Frontline on Harvey Weinstein. I didn't know he's written the 1981 film The Burning. It's a cheaply made slasher horror, but aside from his horrible abuse of women, he did have a knack for producing films. Still he should be behind bars.

It was one of those Disney's that I could not get along with either. Nothing appealed at all, least of all the songs.

Count me as one who doesn't get the hate. I find most of these movies enjoyable for what they are. And the animation is incredible. To each his own.

I'll check out Frozen.

Watched a PBS special Frontline on Harvey Weinstein. I didn't know he's written the 1981 film The Burning. It's a cheaply made slasher horror, but aside from his horrible abuse of women, he did have a knack for producing films. Still he should be behind bars.
    The Burning is to Friday the 13th what pictures like Piranha, Tentacles and L'Ultimo Squalo are to Jaws, only not as good. The best thing about that movie is the cast. You had a future Oscar winner (Holly Hunter), a future sitcom star (a not yet bald Jason Alexander), and a one of the stars of one of my favorite 80's movies (Fisher Stevens), all of them appearing in, I believe, their first feature film.

Come to think of it, Fisher Stevens was in two of my favorite 80's pictures.

Oh, and some guy named Rick Wakeman did the music. What else has he done?