Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #1026
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    According to John Douglas (FBI profiler), the Buffalo Bill character was based on three serial killers: Gein, Ted Bundy, and Gary Heidnik.
    Whoa, never heard of Gary Heidnik. Learn something new everyday, even if it's gruesome.

    The mind of a serial killer/rapist is beyond my way of thinking.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

  2. #1027
    Well I will chime in and say although I like superhero movies in general and have enjoyed most of them, Black Panther left me cold.

    I had no issue with the ethnic aspect of it and don't buy into all the agenda pushing nonsense...on a fundamental level it simply bored me. I gave it a second watch too. Still felt the same.

  3. #1028
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Well I will chime in and say although I like superhero movies in general and have enjoyed most of them, Black Panther left me cold.

    I had no issue with the ethnic aspect of it and don't buy into all the agenda pushing nonsense...on a fundamental level it simply bored me. I gave it a second watch too. Still felt the same.
    Same here
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  4. #1029
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,179
    Based on all the hullabaloo about "Panther", it's reassuring to see that I wasn't alone in being underwhelmed.
    Last edited by progeezer; 09-12-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  5. #1030
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,675
    I'm behind on my super hero movies. Since each series ties in with the next in this Marvel Universe, I caught up a couple of years ago. But, since 2016 I have not continued. I will, soon. I have all the movies stored and I will watch in order of release.

  6. #1031
    A ages old argument.

    Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

    I don't really care but it's always nice to do a hit and run post like this and see everyone's panties get bunched up.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

  7. #1032
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,783
    Nope. It takes place during the holiday season but it is not about Christmas. It could easily have taken place in June and been the same movie.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  8. #1033
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    A ages old argument.

    Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

    I don't really care but it's always nice to do a hit and run post like this and see everyone's panties get bunched up.
    Its just as much a Christmas movie as The Sound of Music is a Nunsploitation movie.

  9. #1034
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If you hate comic book super hero garbage movies why did you watch it? I pretty much steer clear of movies I know I'll hate.
    I have 5 neices who I love dearly and spend a lot of time with. That's why I watch. Thanks for letting me know you don't watch movies you know you'll hate though. Good to know.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  10. #1035
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Yeah KLONK!

    quiet you.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  11. #1036
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    A ages old argument.

    Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

    I don't really care but it's always nice to do a hit and run post like this and see everyone's panties get bunched up.
    Gun was taped to McClain's back with Christmas tape. Thus, a Christmas movie.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  12. #1037
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong ,but there has been at least 1 superhero major studio release with the lead being in character and portrayed by a black man. Im referring to Spawn , which really wasn't to bad. I questioned "important" being tied to a movie that many are saying was a disappointment.
    Not the same thing at all. The key difference is that Spawn was not a big budget superhero movie made up of an almost entirely black cast.

    That is one of the reasons Black Panther was so noteworthy, and not just to me.

    BP wasn't disappointing to me at all, and I question just how "many" people are saying it was a disappointment.

  13. #1038
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not the same thing at all. The key difference is that Spawn was not a big budget superhero movie made up of an almost entirely black cast.

    That is one of the reasons Black Panther was so noteworthy, and not just to me.

    BP wasn't disappointing to me at all, and I question just how "many" people are saying it was a disappointment.
    I would also add , there is a difference between being "important " and being popular.

  14. #1039
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    A ages old argument.

    Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It takes place during the holiday season
    Yes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  15. #1040
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    179
    I guess no one watched the Bruce Willis roast on CC recently. He closed it out proclaiming Die Hard is not a Christmas movie.

  16. #1041
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Pssh...as if his opinion even counts.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  17. #1042
    Keep it going, please. I so wanted to cause strife with the Die Hard topic.

    Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, right?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

  18. #1043
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,779
    I saw the new Mission Impossible last night. The stunts were spectacular and it was fun, mindless entertainment that was action packed throughout.

  19. #1044
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw the new Mission Impossible last night. The stunts were spectacular and it was fun, mindless entertainment that was action packed throughout.
    On the topic of the Mission: Impossible movies, I guess there's one where Tom Cruise did some sort of stunt involving him hanging over the side of the tallest building in the world (I think it's in Dubai?). He was on Letterman to promote the film, and they showed a photo of him doing the stunt, I guess to prove that it was actually him doing it, and it wasn't a stunt double or some CGI trick or whatever. Dave says, "Why would you do something that? Why don't you just let one of the stuntmen do it". Dave did that several times with different people when they talk about that kind of stuff. The reason they do it so they can say that they did it, because it's now a well known fact that most of that kind of stuff is done by doubles. There's some kind of cache to being able to say "Hey, that's actually me doing it, not my double".

  20. #1045
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Keep it going, please. I so wanted to cause strife with the Die Hard topic.

    Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, right?
    Nahh. I gave up long ago and just accepted that on this topic, there are those who know it's not a Christmas movie, and those who are wrong.

    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  21. #1046
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I guess no one watched the Bruce Willis roast on CC recently. He closed it out proclaiming Die Hard is not a Christmas movie.
    I consider Gremlins to be a Christmas movie. I also throw Trading Places into the Christmas movie pile each year.

  22. #1047
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I consider Gremlins to be a Christmas movie. I also throw Trading Places into the Christmas movie pile each year.
    Yep.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  23. #1048
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I would also add , there is a difference between being "important " and being popular.
    Of course, and I wasn't arguing otherwise.

    Black Panther was important, but also popular with audiences who like that kind of movie.

  24. #1049
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,744
    I have the DVD of Black Panther here at home but like Guardians of the Galaxy 2, my summer has been too busy to watch them. But I am looking forward to it because, yes, I like that kind of movie. I don't know if I will like either one the way I loved the last Thor movie but that was just insanely fun (and obviously a homage to Jack Kirby). Marvel does need to get off their ass and do a solo Black Widow flick. They've been kicking DC up and down the curb in terms of movies but DC stole their lunch money by beating them to the punch with Wonder Woman. That was an audience begging for something, anything, and with that film they got it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  25. #1050
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Marvel does need to get off their ass and do a solo Black Widow flick.
    As long as it stars Scarlett Johansson, I'm in!
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •