Page 41 of 397 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And yet, they didn't set the film in Texas. Wonder why....
    Well, "Billboards" does imply a certain amount of literacy.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    (SPOILER ALERT) Fargo was not really a true story.....despite what it says at the outset.
    If I'm not mistaken, it was "inspired by" several separate incidents. I believe I read there really was a man who murdered his wife, back in the mid 80's, and tried to dispose of the body by feeding it through a wood chipper. According to Wikipedia, the Coen Brothers have "changed their story" several times when the topic has come up on various occasions since the film's release.

But "based on a true story", "inspired by true events", and the whole biopic thing in general should always be taken with a grain of salt. A few cases in point:

The Amityville Horror: Yes, Ronald DeFeo Jr really murdered his mother, father, and four siblings in the house they lived in. Yes, the Lutz family moved in a couple years later. But it would seem much, if not all, of everything else depicted in the book and movie is complete cow patties. According to Ronald DeFeo's lawyer, he and George Lutz cooked up the whole story that's in the book, "over several bottles of wine".

Good Morning Vietnam: A great deal of what was in that movie was made up. Adrian Cronauer has said if he did even half the stuff that Robin Williams did in the picture, he'd have spent the rest of the war in the brig. At the end of the movie makes it sound like his CO had his tour of duty in Vietnam cut short to get Cronauer off his hands, but in truth, he served a full, regular tour, and transferred out under normal circumstances.

The Buddy Holly Story: Never mind the damn guitars, Buddy didn't punch out that record producer during his first recording session, and he never toured with Sam Cooke, either. Also, The Crickets were a four piece band (including Buddy) but are depicted as a trio in the film, and they had to use fictitious names for the drummer and bassist, because they refused to sign off on the project.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: complete work of fiction, though Toby Hooper was inspired by Ed Gein, a real life serial killer who was fond of wearing clothing made from the skins of his victims, who was captured back in the 1950's. For the record, Ed Gein was also the inspiration for Norman Bates.

Son Of Godzilla: exactly what you'd imagine it is. Pretty good picture, I liked it better than Godzilla's Revenge. Love the bit where Minilla throws the temper tantrum, and Godzilla has to carry him off by his tail.

Terror Of Mecha-Godzilla: The last picture of the original series of Godzilla movies, and reportedly, the least successful. I saw Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla a few months ago. I think these two pictures, along with Godzilla Vs Hedorah (released Stateside as Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster) sort of move away from the campy silliness of the 60's era pictures or things like Godzilla Vs. Megalon. There's no kids (well, actually, there is, but they're only there for all of one minute), no Minilla, and no badminton games, either. A good movie overall. One of the high points for me, were the occasional shots of Titanosaurus and Godzilla fighting, which appear to have been shot on location, with a real sky in the background. Cool shots, though they're incorporated into footage that was otherwise quite obviously shot on a soundstage, with a very a fake looking sky. But hey, if you're gonna complain about stuff like that, you're not a real kaiju fan!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Son Of Godzilla: exactly what you'd imagine it is. Pretty good picture, I liked it better than Godzilla's Revenge. Love the bit where Minilla throws the temper tantrum, and Godzilla has to carry him off by his tail.
    I started reading this post as a continuation of your "inspired by" post as it is directly below it. My mind was going "Surely he isn't going to tell me that Godzilla isn't inspired by real events!"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: complete work of fiction, though Toby Hooper was inspired by Ed Gein, a real life serial killer who was fond of wearing clothing made from the skins of his victims, who was captured back in the 1950's. For the record, Ed Gein was also the inspiration for Norman Bates.
    Sounds like Buffalo Bill from SotL.

Totally correct. Buffalo Bill, Norman Bates and Leatherface were all inspired by Ed Gein.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Totally correct. Buffalo Bill, Norman Bates and Leatherface were all inspired by Ed Gein.
    Most depraved serial killers on film owe a lot to Ed!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I started reading this post as a continuation of your "inspired by" post as it is directly below it. My mind was going "Surely he isn't going to tell me that Godzilla isn't inspired by real events!"
    You may laugh, but as I recall, the first Godzilla picture was indeed inspired by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. Godzilla is awakened from millions of years of hibernation by atomic bomb testing in the Pacific. There's even a scene where a woman comments on having only narrowly escaped Nagasaki, I believe it was (Or at least, that's what the subtitles tell us).

But all the stuff about Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah, Megalon, Hedorah, Mechagodzilla etc, I think that might have been a total fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    According to John Douglas (FBI profiler), the Buffalo Bill character was based on three serial killers: Gein, Ted Bundy, and Gary Heidnik.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ True. Bundy used the fake cast to bait victims and Heidnik had a pit in the basement

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ^^^ I really liked Molly's Game as well.

I guess I'm just too old now for movies like this, but after all the hype and positive ink about Black Panther, I was excited to see it now that it's on Netflix.

I turned it off after a half hour and while I certainly recognize how important a film like this is, it bored the hell out of me.
    Important?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Important?
    Extremely important, in the African-American community.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Agreed but I found it boring too.

Correct me if I am wrong ,but there has been at least 1 superhero major studio release with the lead being in character and portrayed by a black man. Im referring to Spawn , which really wasn't to bad. I questioned "important" being tied to a movie that many are saying was a disappointment. Im not black and don't pretend to know what would be important in the black community, but one would think a movie like Hidden Figures would be more deserving of the title .

...but one would think a movie like Hidden Figures would be more deserving of the title .
    I could be wrong but I believe it was (at least, to one segment of the AA community). As was Get Out. There can be more than one movie considered important.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

In The Heat Of The Night.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In The Heat Of The Night.
    And yet another Poitier movie that had import to people of color was Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    There can be more than one movie considered important.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe it was (at least, to one segment of the AA community). As was Get Out. There can be more than one movie considered important.
    Of course there can be more than one. Should the list include a crappy movie?

You're in the minority with this opinion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You can't escape the ultra sensitive morality police man. I thought the movie sucked and could care less how important it was. This is pretty much how I feel about all of the comic book super hero garbage though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You can't escape the ultra sensitive morality police man. I thought the movie sucked and could care less how important it was. This is pretty much how I feel about all of the comic book super hero garbage though.
    Did you get your ass kicked by someone wearing their undies on the outside when you were a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    If you hate comic book super hero garbage movies why did you watch it? I pretty much steer clear of movies I know I'll hate.
    Ian

If you hate comic book super hero garbage movies why did you watch it? I pretty much steer clear of movies I know I'll hate.
    Yeah KLONK!

On a somewhat-related note, Henry Cavill is apparently out as Superman.