Page 40 of 394 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Between this, Sharp Objects and Ozark, I'm getting the idea that Missouri is pretty redneck-y.
    Ebbing,Missouri is a fictional town. And from what I've read, the film is based on something that happened in Texas. Oh, and the film wasn't even shot in Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Worst movie in the Marvel Universe.
    Um, wow. Worse than Thor 2 or The Incredible Hulk?

Seems like an overstatement.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Iron Man 2
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Iron Man 2
    Thank you!

We watched Battle of the Sexes on HBO the other night. My wife was only so interested and was turned off by the rampant sexism by some of the male characters. But by the big match she was all "come on, BEAT that sonovabitch". Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. Carell and Stone were excellent.

I wonder how much money changed hands in the US on that match. How many overcame their biases, did the math, and figured out that a top player with 29 year old legs were going to outlast those of a 55 year old?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And I believe that Sharp Objects was filmed in Georgia. Nothing in movies and TV are what they seem.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

Amsterdamned--sort of a serial killer type film which takes place in Amsterdam about a guy mostly using the canal system to commit his killings with his spear gun. Sort of interesting though.
    I saw that one back in the 80's, and several times since, actually. Not a bad movie. Actually, I believe he mostly uses a knife. Two scenes stand out for me:

1. The woman, snoozing, on the see through raft

2. The police diver who gets slashed to ribbons while investigating the sunken boat.

Dumb, but catchy song playing over the closing credits, too. I believe the duo who recorded it, Lois Lane, are very popular in Holland, from what I've read on the internet. Thing that's interesting is, there's at least two versions of that song. The one that plays over the closing credits and the one that was used for a music video (which is on Youtube, that's how I know this) have different intros. The music video version has this more dramatic guitar riff based intro.

Very effective build up to the inevitable in both cases.

On topic of "That wasn't really filmed in..." I remember it being said much of the speed boat race was actually shot in Rotterdam. From what I remember when I visited Amsterdam, they don't have steps that go from the roads down to the canals in Amsterdam.

Lots of movies and TV shows are (or used to be) shot in British Columbia, going back to at least the mid 70's (parts of the first Superman movie were shot there, for instance, same location as .38 Special's If I'd Been The One video, ya know, the one that Bruce Springsteen's first wife was in). A lot of times, they'll send a crew to whichever city something is set in, say, NYC, and they'll spend shooting shots of recognizable landmarks, as "opening shots" or whatever, but all the stuff of the actors, will be shot someplace that's cheaper and easier to work in.

Lately, they've been shooting a lot of stuff in Cleveland. A lot of times they'll shoot here, but the movie will be set some place else, so you don't see any Cleveland landmarks (and even when a movie is set here, like The Light Of Day, you don't see much that is recognizably "Cleveland", unless you've been inside the Euclid Tavern).

I remember reading about one production where they went to one city, I forget which one, whether it was NYC or LA or Chicago or wherever, and they had a hard time finding good locations that hadn't already been used in other movies.

And you guys can make fun of The Blues Brothers all you want, but that was the movie that brought back Chicago as a filming location. Back in the early 60's, there was some TV show that showed a Chicago police officer taking a bribe, and Mayor Daley was so incensed by this apparently completely unrealistic depiction of the Chicago PD (sarcasm generator off), he put a unilateral ban on anyone filming in Chicago. And it wasn't until John Landis "went over the heads" of the Chicago city council (as he put it) to be allowed to film within city limits. And that opened the doors for people like John Hughes and others to make their movies there.

One more thought on "that wasn't filmed in...", I remember reading that the pilot for the mid 90's version of Flipper was shot in Hawaii, I think. Then the entire series was filmed in Australia (the show was set, mostly, in Southern Florida). Apparently, that's why almost the entire cast left after the first season, because they didn't like working on Australia. The only actor to return for the second season was the still mostly unknown Jessica Alba, and then she too left after the second season.

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia, the pilot and two other episodes of the first season of Flipper will filmed in the Florida Keys. Then they shifted production to Australia.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.

One more thought on "that wasn't filmed in..." Yeah, wasn't most of the X-Files shot in Seattle starting out and then they filmed it in Canada? Or maybe it was all shot in Canada. Great TV series though.

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri tonight
    Hey, me too!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri tonight, really quite dark, an excellent movie for character studies, thought everyone in it was excellent but my what a performance by Frances McDormand, superb.
    Yeah, I'd agree. Probably that, Blade Runner 2049, War for the Planet of the Apes, The Shape of Water, and It, were my faves of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Um, wow. Worse than Thor 2 or The Incredible Hulk?

Seems like an overstatement.
    Not really. It had none of the humor and charm that I associate with the Marvel films. This film took itself way too seriously.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    One more thought on "that wasn't filmed in..." Yeah, wasn't most of the X-Files shot in Seattle starting out and then they filmed it in Canada? Or maybe it was all shot in Canada. Great TV series though.
    I know at least the majority of it was shot in British Columbia. Don't remember if they ever shot in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    One more thought on "that wasn't filmed in...", I remember reading that the pilot for the mid 90's version of Flipper was shot in Hawaii, I think. Then the entire series was filmed in Australia (the show was set, mostly, in Southern Florida). Apparently, that's why almost the entire cast left after the first season, because they didn't like working on Australia. The only actor to return for the second season was the still mostly unknown Jessica Alba, and then she too left after the second season.
    Yeah, that'd be pretty tough, having to work an acting job on the beaches & harbors of Australia.

Iron Man 3 wins the MU stinker award
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Black Panther gets all the millennial love. I don't get it, although my 19 year old son loves it.
    I thought it was, far and away, the best of the MCU movies (though there are like three of them I haven't seen)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Ebbing,Missouri is a fictional town. And from what I've read, the film is based on something that happened in Texas. Oh, and the film wasn't even shot in Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And I believe that Sharp Objects was filmed in Georgia. Nothing in movies and TV are what they seem.
    None of that is relevant.

They all portray Missouri. It doesn't matter where they're filmed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched a couple old movies that came on the TV last night:

How The West Was Won - not the Led Zeppelin live album. The 1962 Cinerama western film. Even for its time, having a cast like that all in one movie was pretty amazing. As were the filming locations. I recall seeing it as a child on the giant curved cinerama screen at the theater. Same way I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey when it debuted. Thinking back, we had wonderful parents who would take their kids to see these films at the best place possible.

Malone - probably aired in remembrance of Burt Reynolds. I enjoyed seeing it again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, that'd be pretty tough, having to work an acting job on the beaches & harbors of Australia.
    That's one way of looking at it. Looking at the Wiki page for Flipper, there were really only three regular cast members who were replaced (along with a handful who played recurring characters) after the first season. It's entirely possible that they agreed to the show with the understanding they'd be working in Florida. When production shifted to Australia, they didn't like having to relocate. One of the actors, Payton Haas, was about 15 when the show started, and Wiki says he was from Jacksonville. Maybe he didn't like having to relocate half way around the world from home. It's worth noting Wiki also says he graduate in 2004 from University Of Florida, so perhaps he preferred to stay close to home. (shrug)

Don't know about Colleen Flynn or Brian Wimmer, but there again, if you've got a family, you have to choose between either moving everyone to wherever the show is being produced, or not seeing your loved ones for months at a time. Wiki says Brian Wimmer got married right around the time he left Flipper, so maybe that had something to do with why he opted out of the second season.

Ya know what they say, one man's paradise is another man's hell.

None of that is relevant.

They all portray Missouri. It doesn't matter where they're filmed.
    Lmao. Ebbing Missouri is a fictional story and a fictional town. They could have thrown a dart at a map. The movie wasn't trying to make a socio-political statement about the State of Missouri. To draw any real life conclusions like "what a bunch of rednecks in that State" based on the Three Billboards movie is simply ludicrous.
    And based on my travels over the years, you can find "rednecks" and "hoosiers" etc in just about any rural area of any state--including Pennslyvania.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-09-2018 at 07:01 PM.

The movie wasn't trying to make a socio-political statement about the State of Missouri.
    I couldn't possibly disagree more.

And based on my travels over the years, you can find "rednecks" and "hoosiers" etc in just about any rural area of any state--including Pennslyvania.
    Completely agree with you, here. Aside from the Philly and Pittsburgh metro areas, Pennsylvania is a redneck-y as any southern state. It's pathetic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

What specific point was the movie trying to make that was unique to the State of Missouri? What in the movie would cause anyone to say--"oh yeah, that's Missouri for you"? If the movie was called Three Billboards in Ebbing, Tennessee or Ebbing, Ohio, what crucial aspect of the film would be missing?

You know, it's ok to admit you thought that the movie was based on a real life incident that occurred in Missouri. That was what I initially thought until I read up on the background of the film.

What specific point was the movie trying to make that was unique to the State of Missouri? What in the movie would cause anyone to say--"oh yeah, that's Missouri for you"? If the movie was called Three Billboards in Ebbing, Tennessee or Ebbing, Ohio, what crucial aspect of the film would be missing?

You know, it's ok to admit you thought that the movie was based on a real life incident that occurred in Missouri. That was what I initially thought until I read up on the background of the film.
    I mean, Missouri is even in the damned title! They could have just called it Three Billboards. But they used Missouri in the title to make it believable.

I knew it was fictional (though very believable). Again, taken in total with Sharp Objects and Ozark, it paints a pretty consistent picture. I'm sorry if you're offended.

I mean, Missouri is even in the damned title! They could have just called it Three Billboards. But they used Missouri in the title to make it believable.

I knew it was fictional (though very believable). Again, taken in total with Sharp Objects and Ozark, it paints a pretty consistent picture. I'm sorry if you're offended.
    I'm offended that you're that gullible. You didnt answer any of my questions. The real life inspiration for the film took place in Texas.
    Btw,(SPOILER ALERT) Fargo was not really a true story.....despite what it says at the outset.

I'm offended that you're that gullible. You didnt answer any of my questions. The real life inspiration for the film took place in Texas.
    And yet, they didn't set the film in Texas. Wonder why....