Page 34 of 397 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

This "substantial" schtick lacks....substance.

Spectral

Low rent, sci-fi, thriller on Netflix. Special-Ops vs. Spectres...that's pretty much the deal I actually thought it was for the most part a fun ride!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Spectral

Low rent, sci-fi, thriller on Netflix. Special-Ops vs. Spectres...that's pretty much the deal I actually thought it was for the most part a fun ride!
    Good! I have had that in my queue for ages, and haven't been able to pull the trigger.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I enjoyed it in a brainless sorta way.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I enjoyed it in a brainless sorta way.
    Exactly

Spectral

Been wanting to see that one. I'm okay with that kind of thing when the mood strikes.

Watched Invasion Of Astro-Monster, aka Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero, last night. Decent movie. I'd still like to know how Nick Adams ended up in that one. Maybe not as good as Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster, but I liked it better than Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack.

Really, any kaiju movie that has stuntmen in rubber suits stomping around a miniature Japanese landscape, with ridiculous fight sequences, coupled with almost immaterial human actors delivering ridiculous dialog, is going to be an enjoyable picture for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Every once in a while I like to slip a classic film into the rotation. Well, tonight's feature was "In The Heat Of The Night", starring Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger and the always entertaining, Warren Oates. With music by Quincy Jones and a screenplay by Sterling Silliphant, this movie is a must see for anyone who truly loves film and film history. A story as relevant today as it was in 1967. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and change that.

Attachment 12056
    Isn't Caroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) the sort of main performer in that? Saw it a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't Caroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) the sort of main performer in that? Saw it a long time ago.
    No, that was the TV series spin off. The movie starred Rod Steiger and Poitier as the post you quoted states.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-24-2018 at 01:10 AM.

And is a brilliant movie.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched Invasion Of Astro-Monster, aka Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero, last night. Decent movie. I'd still like to know how Nick Adams ended up in that one. Maybe not as good as Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster, but I liked it better than Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack.

Really, any kaiju movie that has stuntmen in rubber suits stomping around a miniature Japanese landscape, with ridiculous fight sequences, coupled with almost immaterial human actors delivering ridiculous dialog, is going to be an enjoyable picture for me.
    my personal favorite Godzilla movie just a lot of fun and being a fan of space stuff I like the human side too.

this and a few other kaiju films at the time were coproduced by henry G Saperstein from the USA who got Nick adams in this and Frankenstein conquers the world and russ Tamblyn in war of the gargantuas.

with Nick Adams in it it is the only Godzilla movie I prefer to watch the American version of cause seeing Nick Adams speak Japanese is somehow more incongruous to me than the entire remaining cast of Japanese people speaking English (guess that shows my point of view).

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post

with Nick Adams in it it is the only Godzilla movie I prefer to watch the American version of cause seeing Nick Adams speak Japanese is somehow more incongruous to me than the entire remaining cast of Japanese people speaking English (guess that shows my point of view).
    I know what you mean, and Nick's dialog and delivery is very...American, if you know what I mean. "We're not going down without a fight, baby!", and things like that.

Personally, I also like to have Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster in English, as well, just because of "Godzilla! Such language!", which apparently doesn't actually occur in the original Japanese dialog.

the Starz channels have been showing a lot of the Toho pictures lately, including both versions of the first Godzilla movie (which are almost like two completely different movies), and Japanese language editions of most of the other pictures (which I've never seen on TV before). I think they've shown at least 10 of them.

What do you think of the more recent Godzilla pictures, from Godzilla 1985 onwards? I haven't really seen any of them, but I have their impression they've reverted to being straight faced, and with more modern special, which doesn't really interest me too much.

I know what you mean, and Nick's dialog and delivery is very...American, if you know what I mean. "We're not going down without a fight, baby!", and things like that.

Personally, I also like to have Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster in English, as well, just because of "Godzilla! Such language!", which apparently doesn't actually occur in the original Japanese dialog.

the Starz channels have been showing a lot of the Toho pictures lately, including both versions of the first Godzilla movie (which are almost like two completely different movies), and Japanese language editions of most of the other pictures (which I've never seen on TV before). I think they've shown at least 10 of them.

What do you think of the more recent Godzilla pictures, from Godzilla 1985 onwards? I haven't really seen any of them, but I have their impression they've reverted to being straight faced, and with more modern special, which doesn't really interest me too much.
    they are more serious minded. I rather like them but if you are looking for silly Godzilla not the best though they have their moments Godzilla v king ghidora in particular has some fairly silly stuff. 85-95 actually has some decent continuity which I like the 2000s era ones tended to reboot it with every picture got a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    they are more serious minded. I rather like them but if you are looking for silly Godzilla not the best though they have their moments Godzilla v king ghidora in particular has some fairly silly stuff. 85-95 actually has some decent continuity which I like the 2000s era ones tended to reboot it with every picture got a bit annoying.
    Out of curiosity, what did you think of the recent Shin Godzilla?
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Last Shift

Rookie cop gets the last shift at a police station that's shutting down...let the evil begin!

Not much of a budget with this one, but I thought it was pretty well done. Gave me some solid scares and kept me fidgety throughout...cliches and all. A nice surprise! Give this one a whirl if late night, simple-minded, horror fixes might be your thing.

Last Shift

Rookie cop gets the last shift at a police station that's shutting down...let the evil begin!

Not much of a budget with this one, but I thought it was pretty well done. Gave me some solid scares and kept me fidgety throughout...cliches and all. A nice surprise! Give this one a whirl if late night, simple-minded, horror fixes might be your thing.
    Sounds like a riff on Assault On Precinct 13.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Last Shift

Loved it!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm watching some cheap sci-fi film from 1958 called......The Phantom Planet. There is this one hot brunette babe in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching some cheap sci-fi film from 1958 called......The Phantom Planet. There is this one hot brunette babe in the film.
    Yeah, it was funny how a lot of those movies seemed to have a really hot woman in them, for no apparent reason. I remember reading a magazine article in the early 80's, on Fantastic Voyage, where it was suggested that in practical terms, Raquel Welch's character was completely superfluous. Yeah, but she looked better in a wetsuit than any of the men (certainly better than Donald Pleasance or Arthur Kennedy, that's for damn sure!).

Yeah, it was funny how a lot of those movies seemed to have a really hot woman in them, for no apparent reason. I remember reading a magazine article in the early 80's, on Fantastic Voyage, where it was suggested that in practical terms, Raquel Welch's character was completely superfluous. Yeah, but she looked better in a wetsuit than any of the men (certainly better than Donald Pleasance or Arthur Kennedy, that's for damn sure!).
    Well, not exactly for no reason...they always looked good on the poster and that in itself would be enough to draw a few people in...as a love interest for the hero...and in films like this probably above all to get into various dangerous situations so that she could be rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Well, not exactly for no reason...they always looked good on the poster and that in itself would be enough to draw a few people in...as a love interest for the hero...and in films like this probably above all to get into various dangerous situations so that she could be rescued.
    Well, yes, that's all true. But all those things aside, you don't necessarily need to have a beautiful woman in the cast of a lot of those movies. Something like Fantastic Voyage would have done just fine without Raquel Welch, although I imagine the scene where Cora gets attacked by the antibodies wouldn't have been as interesting if it had been Stephen Boyd or some other male actor who got attacked, would it?

Well, yes, that's all true. But all those things aside, you don't necessarily need to have a beautiful woman in the cast of a lot of those movies. Something like Fantastic Voyage would have done just fine without Raquel Welch, although I imagine the scene where Cora gets attacked by the antibodies wouldn't have been as interesting if it had been Stephen Boyd or some other male actor who got attacked, would it?
    Hmmm...starting to get a bit of deja vu with this thread re casting.

On a different forum someone raised the issue of miscasting, and I maintained that there really is no such thing. Actors are cast for who they are, for their star power, for their ability to appeal to a certain demographic etc.

Hence, they are very deliberately cast for those reasons. Practical considerations such as age, gender, height etc are often cast aside.

Examples would be John Wayne as Ghengis Khan. Sure, ridiculous on the face of it but yet enough for the distributors to be able to sell the movie using his name.

Then there is Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher who bore no resemblance to the character as described in the books, and yet the movie would not have been made without Cruise and his production company...and I personally think that it was a very good movie regardless of casting issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Hmmm...starting to get a bit of deja vu with this thread re casting.
    Meaning what?

Talkign about miscasting, I still say Johnny Depp was miscast in The Lone Ranger. I'm sorry, but in this day and age, there's no reason to cast a white actor in a Native American role. I don't care how famous he is, he's the wrong man for the job. Period. Especially considering that on the TV show, Tonto was played by an actual Native American, so having a white guy play him in a movie 50 years later seems like a massive step backwards. You need a famous white guy to be in the movie? Cast him as The Lone Ranger himself!

Just watched A Touch Of Evil for the umpteenth time and the only real flaw in a near perfect movie is casting Charlton Heston to play a Mexican.
    Ian

Depp claimed he had some Cherokee in his ancestry but that turned out to be bullshit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart