Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

The Last Sunset--Kirk Douglas, Rock Hudson, Joseph Cotten etc. Western. Cattle drive. Two cowboys at odds...one good and one bad. I enjoyed it off Grit TV. Can be found free on some streaming services.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Last night we watched The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It. The conjuring movie series has been entertaining, and this latest (?) one, concerning murder, demonic possession, and exorcism, is no exception. I liked it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Last night we watched The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It. The conjuring movie series has been entertaining, and this latest (?) one, concerning murder, demonic possession, and exorcism, is no exception. I liked it.
    I thought the first one was just okay. I thought the second one, however, was really good. The spinoff Annabelle series sucked, imo.
    I always like going south. Somehow, it feels like going downhill.. Fangorn

Mr Harrigan's Phone

Netflix movie based on Stephen king story. It's ok, the acting is very good, but overall was a little light for me. Not very memorable...

5 out of 10 first iPhones
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I thought the first one was just okay. I thought the second one, however, was really good. The spinoff Annabelle series sucked, imo.
    I thought Anabelle: Creation was pretty good. There are also two more films in that 'universe' with The Nun and The Curse of La Llorona. Both quite low-to-average jump scare formula horrors.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I thought Anabelle: Creation was pretty good. There are also two more films in that 'universe' with The Nun and The Curse of La Llorona. Both quite low-to-average jump scare formula horrors.
    I must have been conflating the Annabelle series with The Nun and TCoLL. I saw the first Annabelle movie and was quite disappointed, which is why I blew off A:C. The Nun was what I was most excited to see. From what I recall, I think I liked it up until the third act, when it fell apart. As for TCoLL, the plot sounds familiar but I remember nothing of it and have no idea if I saw it. However, given my love of Linda Cardellini, I find it hard to believe I would have skipped it. I'd watch her watch paint dry.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    When The Crawdads Sing This is story about a young girl abandoned by her parents living in a swamp. The start of the movie shows her being pulled from the swamp as she was a young women. There was a murder. The story highly effectively tracked back to uncover the plot. It's rated PG so not violent. The young women was a very compelling actor. There are no names but the teacher that had an affair with Tony's wife on the Sopranos is fairly well known. The rest of the characters are not stars. I rate it 9/10 - the best movie I've watched in 2022.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

^ It's based on a critically acclaimed book.

^^ Maybe I should get the book!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When The Crawdads Sing This is story about a young girl abandoned by her parents living in a swamp. The start of the movie shows her being pulled from the swamp as she was a young women. There was a murder. The story highly effectively tracked back to uncover the plot. It's rated PG so not violent. The young women was a very compelling actor. There are no names but the teacher that had an affair with Tony's wife on the Sopranos is fairly well known. The rest of the characters are not stars. I rate it 9/10 - the best movie I've watched in 2022.
    My wife really liked it too.

I'll make a note of that one.

Time to start bringing out our faves for the holidays, both B&W and more modern films. I feel the need to watch The Ref, I haven't seen that one in a while. "Slipper socks, medium!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We watched The Innocents (Norway, 2021). Not easy to describe because it's not exactly horror or fantasy, but whatever it is, it works for me. Maybe supernatural drama. It is certainly more like Thelma than Dead Snow. Some might complain that at 2 hours it drags a bit, but once you are invested in the characters, you don't even notice the length. American expectations are irrelevant when viewing a foreign-made film. Let the story unfold at the director's pace. Eskil Vogt is not Michael Bay, but his direction of this movie is superb. I watched in Norwegian language sound with English subtitles, although other options are available. Some children discover they have varying degrees of supernatural powers, and experiment with them, unbeknownst to the adults. The score is suitably eerie. The film can be disturbing, at times. Great acting by the children. Top-notch cinematography. I recommend it.

And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I Came By

Netflix original. Glad I stumbled on this! Graffiti artist targeting rich peoples homes discovers a shocking secret. Very solid thriller with excellent performances. Takes a little bit to start rolling, but when it gets going it's pretty gripping. If not for a slightly rushed ending I'd rank this an 8, but instead it gets...

7 out of 10 cricket paddles
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Other night we watched Breaking (2022), a true story about one American man's mistreatment by Veterans' Affairs. A truly sad drama/thriller about a man at the end of his rope. It amazes me that this country values its war veterans so poorly, after the sacrifices they have made for the war machine. Someday, they'll give a war and no one will show up to fight it.

Watched Trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix. Surprisingly good movie. Very different than I expected.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Watched Trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix. Surprisingly good movie. Very different than I expected.
    I dug this too. Sacha Baron Cohen was excellent as Abbie Hoffman.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966), a Don Knotts vehicle. He really only had one character, but he played it well. The movie is predictable but funny anyway.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966), a Don Knotts vehicle. He really only had one character, but he played it well. The movie is predictable but funny anyway.
    "They even used Bon Ami!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    "They even used Bon Ami!"
    Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to get a can of that for some time, now.

When I was a kid, they used to have a movie day once a month at my school, right after school let out. They would show that movie around Halloween every year.

They also used to show The Incredible Mr Limpet, which was another Don Knotts movie.

Don Knotts. What a goofy, hammy guy.

Moonage Daydream is worth checking out if you are a Bowie fan. Bowie narrates the whole thing. Lots of editing, psychedelic at times, but well done. Some great live versions of his iconic hits as well as some less known. Bowie's advice: “Could you articulate a message for our viewers?” asks a journalist in a Japanese TV studio. “Don’t waste a minute,” the artist replies.

He moved from city to city allowing the location to influence and inspire his art. Pretty decent painter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Moonage Daydream is worth checking out if you are a Bowie fan. Bowie narrates the whole thing. Lots of editing, psychedelic at times, but well done. Some great live versions of his iconic hits as well as some less known. Bowie's advice: “Could you articulate a message for our viewers?” asks a journalist in a Japanese TV studio. “Don’t waste a minute,” the artist replies.

He moved from city to city allowing the location to influence and inspire his art. Pretty decent painter as well.
    Watched it last week. It was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post

Saw it in the theater with a really good sound system. Really enjoyed it.

If anyone here is interested in the new Ronnie James Dio documentary "Dreamers Never Die" and did not catch in a theater, the film will premiere on Showtime December 1.

Variety Lights (1950) - 7/10

I think I've seen every Fellini movie. I thought I had seen that, but maybe something came up, like those emergency interruptions while I was watching TCM?

I find this intriguing: EO