Page 31 of 397 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I attempted to stay up late last night (actually more like early this morning) to watch Destroy All Monsters. For some reason, teh DVR refused to record it (it said there was a "scheduling conflict" which usually means you've scheduled more than four programs to record at the same time, but that wasn't the case here, I had nothing else scheduled at the time), so I had to try to stay up to catch it. Unfortunately, I only saw about the first 45 minutes before I fell asleep on the couch. I used to be able to stay up to dawn if I took a nap earlier in the day, but I guess "old age" is catching up with me.

Fortunately, the DVR recorded Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster. I'm looking forward to seeing how the subtitles render The Peanuts' translation of the argument between Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra (the English dubbed version includes the legendary line, "Godzilla! Such language!", implying that Godzilla apparently resorted to profanity when expressing his disinterest in fighting King Ghidrah, but who knows how literal a translation that was, or if it'll appear in the subtitled version).

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    BR influences on pop culture, and George Micheal of all people did an entire video specifically modeled after the BR futuristic urban "look"; can't remember the name of the tune, will edit if I find it.
    Well, if we're gonna talk about that kinda stuff, then one should bring up Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time album, and their accompanying Somwhere On Tour. The album cover and stage set are pretty much a homage to the look of Blade Runner. I believe Tyrell Towers appears in the background of the cover, and the movie theater on the back cover is showing a double feature of Live After Death (Iron Maiden concert film) and Blade Runner. Their play on music for the tour was the closing credits music from the film, using the orchestral version that appeared on the original soundtrack album.

I'm kicking myself now for not being able to buy that big boxset, but I think at the time it came out, I was unemployed, or under employed, and as such didn't have the cash assets. It goes for big bucks on the Amazon Marketplace now.
    But who needs a song when the BR soundtrack is fantastic, and it's proggy (Vangelis of course).
    Are you seriously comparing Mr. Chariots Of Fire to The Police?! Really?! Please!

(Time to put on Zenyatta Mondata)

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Is that the movie with the robot in an ice cave?
    Yep, and a young Jenny Agutter. Parts of the last scene with the flowing waters were shot in Ft. Worth as some other aspects of the film. To some it may seem cheesy now, but I still enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yep, and a young Jenny Agutter. Parts of the last scene with the flowing waters were shot in Ft. Worth as some other aspects of the film. To some it may seem cheesy now, but I still enjoy it.
    Yeah, Jenny Agutter was hot in that movie. I seem to recall reading most of the underground city scenes were shot in a shopping mall down there.

I watched Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster. This is one of my favorite of the classic kaiju pictures. The only thin gwas, it was the subtitled version, and as such leaves out the classic line, "Godzilla! Such language!" from the English dubbed version. I still say King Ghidorah represents one of the apogees of pre-CGI special effects.

I remember some twenty-something coworker complaining about Blade Runner and they couldn't get through it because it was "like about twenty other SF movies". They didn't understand the it was the origin point and all those other films were pale copies.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Infinity Wars last night. I thought it was good light entertainment that pulled a lot of strings together. Sequel calling.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That's Vietnam music. Can't we get our own music?

Thought you guys would like that. Jarhead is the flick and I'm watching it for the first time just because it was there on the tv when I turned it on.

Not a bad flick, seems to be like what I would think it to be in real life.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Infinity Wars last night. I thought it was good light entertainment that pulled a lot of strings together. Sequel calling.

Pretty much all of the Marvel comic book movies are based on story lines from the 1960s, so they have a practically endless well to draw from. I can't say about the DC movies, as I didn't read them, for the most part.

Was talking to someone on a different site and I mentioned a movie that I cannot remember the name nor who the heck was in it. Someone else posted it might be Inside Man with Denzel, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer and others but I don't think that's right. Maybe it is but I think I'd remember all those actors.

The premise was a heist of some sort where they had built a fake wall, just enough for someone to hide out behind after the heist and one guy had to stay back(also forget why) and he hid there then walked out a day or so later as a handyman or something.

That's all I got. Any thoughts?

This also got me thinking of another move with Richard Dreyfuss, Who Is Cletis Tout? Anyone seen that? I remember it being kinda cool but my memory seems to be shaky.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 08-19-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

The after-credits sequence of And Man and the Wasp also references the events in Avengers Infinity War.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

A Quiet Place - some spoilers ahead.

I thought this was excellent. Probably a good example of the need to do just a smidgen of research into a movie before you watch it, rather than do the 'Oh that's that horror movie that's supposed to be really scary, lets go see it' thing. I'm not even sure I would call it horror anyway, more a suspense thriller with mild sci fi and horror overtones. God...I hate labels. But it really helps to know the basic premise of this movie beforehand.

I thought it was very clever how the family had learned to survive by avoiding making noise. I loved the little subtle details like putting sand on the pathways around the house so their footsteps would not make a sound, and even painting the areas of the stairs in the house where they could walk without making a creaking sound.

And the sound was extraordinary. You really need a surround system to appreciate it, at times it really made me jump. And for once in this type of movie its not used as a cheap scare tactic. I have read some silly comments about it being boring, nothing happening, not seeing the aliens etc...wrong, wrong and wrong.

The Meg - not really much to say except that its Jason Statham and a bloody big shark. That should tell you all you need to know. Silly, overblown typical summer movie fare. Be aware that there is hardly any gore in the movie and there is more comedy than you might expect. It seems the gore was toned down before release. I guess I can understand why. The Sharknado movies have kind of stolen its thunder, and I don't really think people would take it that seriously.

Mission Impossible - Fallout - The best so far IMHO.

Story, acting and set pieces were excellent. Lots of twists and double bluffs.

The end sequence with the helicopter chase is extraordinary...and if I am right the aspect ratio switches to proper IMAX for those scenes and it looks incredible.

I am sure if I think back on it there were probably a few niggles, but at the moment I just feel like I watched a very entertaining film.

Ant Man and the Wasp - Very enjoyable. Definitely on the lighter side of the MCU, like the Guardians movies. A lot more humour than the first one too.

I know a few have said that there was no threat, the characters never feel like they are in jeopardy etc, but I didn't mind that, I just went with it.

After the heavy stuff we got in Infinity War it comes as a bit of light relief.

I also liked that Michael Pena and his 'crew' got more to do here.

Very enjoyable.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Was talking to someone on a different site and I mentioned a movie that I cannot remember the name nor who the heck was in it. Someone else posted it might be Inside Man with Denzel, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer and others but I don't think that's right. Maybe it is but I think I'd remember all those actors.

The premise was a heist of some sort where they had built a fake wall, just enough for someone to hide out behind after the heist and one guy had to stay back(also forget why) and he hid there then walked out a day or so later as a handyman or something.

This also got me thinking of another move with Richard Dreyfuss, Who Is Cletis Tout? Anyone seen that? I remember it being kinda cool but my memory seems to be shaky.
    That definitely sounds like Inside Man, Clive Owen was the guy who hid behind the fake wall and walked out some days later dressed as a painter or similar. Jodie Foster was in it too and it was directed by Spike Lee.

Can't say I have ever heard of the other movie...looks interesting though, looked it up on IMDB.

Ok, maybe it was Inside Man. I guess my steel trap of a mind has some chinks in it.

So I'm just now going through the guide on my Directv and it's being really slow. It landed on Green Lantern, with Ryan Reynolds, and he's also in Deadpool. How does one guy play two superheroes? I don't do comic book movies so I don't know a damned thing about most of them.

Looking at some other info I came across The Dark Tower. Anyone see this? Looked like garbage but I've read the books and know where this story should start and it looked nothing like that first book.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok, maybe it was Inside Man. I guess my steel trap of a mind has some chinks in it.

So I'm just now going through the guide on my Directv and it's being really slow. It landed on Green Lantern, with Ryan Reynolds, and he's also in Deadpool. How does one guy play two superheroes? I don't do comic book movies so I don't know a damned thing about most of them.
    Funny end scene in Deadpool after the credits where he stops himself from doing Green Lantern which was an awful movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Looking at some other info I came across The Dark Tower. Anyone see this? Looked like garbage but I've read the books and know where this story should start and it looked nothing like that first book.
    Was an ok movie, too many people went in with an expectation that it would be as good as the books, it based in a totally different period of the mythology from the books so was never going to have the same plot.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That's consistant with Inside Man .

But did you enjoy The Dark Tower? I kinda thought that it didn't start with the first book but it didn't pass the smell test with what I saw. I had high expectations for this and the trailers severely disappointed me.

I probably should watch Deadpool even though I'm not into comics. No one I can recall has ever said a bad word about it.

But did you enjoy The Dark Tower? I kinda thought that it didn't start with the first book but it didn't pass the smell test with what I saw. I had high expectations for this and the trailers severely disappointed me.

I probably should watch Deadpool even though I'm not into comics. No one I can recall has ever said a bad word about it.
    I enjoyed it but I had extremely low expectations.
    Ian

Henry:Portrait of a Serial killer (1986)

This was a re watch from 30 years ago.

Based very loosely on spree killers Henry Lee Lucas and Otis Otoole who were captured in the early 80s.

Shot on 16mm film with a creepy synthy 80s soundtrack, the movie has retained its grainy and dread laden documentary style .

Shocking for the 80s, but fairly tame by todays horror standards.

Definitely worth a viewing if your into dark horror.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Henry:Portrait of a Serial killer (1986)

This was a re watch from 30 years ago.

Based very loosely on spree killers Henry Lee Lucas and Otis Otoole who were captured in the early 80s.

Shot on 16mm film with a creepy synthy 80s soundtrack, the movie has retained its grainy and dread laden documentary style .

Shocking for the 80s, but fairly tame by todays horror standards.

Definitely worth a viewing if your into dark horror.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Jarhead is the flick and I'm watching it for the first time just because it was there on the tv when I turned it on.

Not a bad flick, seems to be like what I would think it to be in real life.
    I assume you're talking about the movie with Jake Gyllenhaal. I thought it was pretty good. In fact, most of the war movies & political thrillers of the last 20 or so years that take place in the Middle East or Africa (or have some kind of connection to them) have been good:
    Three Kings
    Black Hawk Down
    Syriana
    Blood Diamond
    Charlie Wilson's War
    The Kingdom
    Body of Lies
    The Hurt Locker
    Fair Game
    Green Zone
    Zero Dark Thirty

Of those, Black Hawk Down is my favorite, which I also think is one of the best war movies ever made. In fact, it's one of only four war movies I own; the others being Stalag 17, Paths of Glory, and A Bridge Too Far, which I got for 99˘ (wish I still had that 99˘ lol).

I don't watch superhero movies, either, but I liked Deadpool. Just saw the sequel the other night. It was good, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just watched a charming drama on Netflix called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society about a young author who travels to a formerly Nazi-occupied British isle in order to write an article for the London Times about a little book club that existed there at one time, but had to hide from ze Germans - and some of the mystery surrounding the people involved. That premise might not sound particularly exciting to some people - and indeed, this will not appeal to the car-crash/CGI/superhero crowd - but was so beautifully acted, I was riveted the entire time. This is a character piece that relies on acting and dialogue. An extraordinary cast including four cast members from Downton Abbey (the breathtaking Lily James in the lead role, Jessica Brown-Findlay, Matthew Goode and the sensational Penelope Wilton), the brilliant British actor Tom Courtenay, and Katherine Parkinson who some people may know from The I.T. Crowd and/or Humans.) One of the lead roles was also played by Michiel Huisman who Game Of Thrones fans will recognize as (the second) Daario Naharis. I really enjoyed this film and the romance woven throughout. Good writing, good acting, good dialogue. How I wish more films were like this one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Out Of Towners - Jack Lemmon plans a trip to New York with his wife Sandy Dennis, to attend a job interview for role that will change his life.

Unfortunately a catalogue of disasters ensues, starting with plane delays, being re-routed to Boston, transit strikes, hotel screw ups...not to mention bring mugged, losing their luggage etc.

It was probably an inspiration for Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I am sure. Jack Lemmon is brilliant as the exasperated traveller, constantly making lists of people he is going to sue. Sandy Dennis is nicely understated as his long-suffering wife.

Its a great comic performance by Lemmon. There is a great scene where he breaks a tooth and develops a whistle when he speaks.

There is also a scene where he takes a young child into the bushes to see if he has any money in his pockets, that would probably not fly today.

Apart from that, a brilliant movie and far better than the awful 1999 remake with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn.