Page 311 of 397 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,775 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was bewildered and enthralled by The Lighthouse. I didn't pick up on all the mythology subtexts but the performances were fascinating.
    Movies have subtexts? Are those the subliminal cues that tell me when it's OK to fall asleep? They used to call that "bad editing."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Courier--good film with Cumberbatch playing an English businessman turning spy getting info from a Russian agent. Cumberbatch may be one of my fave actors working today. Taken from a true story.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Courier--good film with Cumberbatch playing an English businessman turning spy getting info from a Russian agent. Cumberbatch may be one of my fave actors working today. Taken from a true story.
    Excellent movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The VVitch is returning to HBO for those who missed it. Wouldst thou like the taste of butter?
    I wouldst not like it with a witch,
    I wouldst not like it in a ditch,
    I wouldst not like it in a noose,
    I wouldst not lik --- Oh, what's the use?
    I wouldst not like the taste of butter.
    I wouldst not, couldst not, Sam-you-nutter!

(Actually I quite like butter but it popped into my head and I couldn't resist.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Agree, very good film.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watch out for that goat!
    My Facebook avatar every Halloween:

2040319_1.jpg
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

That's great! ^^^
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We watched a new Steven Soderbergh film, Kimi, about an agorphobic Seattle tech worker who uncovers a crime. First film I've seen (or remember) that has the Covid pandemic as a backdrop to everything. Showed me that Zoe Kravitz has better acting chops than were evident to me in The Batman. But that's probably just me; I haven't followed her career.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw part of The Devil Wears Prada many many years ago when I was still married (the wife was watching it) and it left me intrigued. Finally got around to watching the whole thing. Good movie. On Hulu.

Another movie I've been meaning to see for a long time and is also on Hulu is Margin Call. Also a good movie... albeit slightly marred these days by Kevin Spacey in a starring role.

That Stanley Tucci is in both movies is coincidental. The first movie I ever saw him in was Big Night back in 1996, the movie about two Italian brothers (played by Tucci and Tony Shalhoub) who own a struggling restaurant in 1950s New Jersey. It's a great little indie that he co-wrote and co-directed and that will have you jonesin' for Italian food by the end. But it reminds me: is there anything he can't do?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Million Dollar Baby - I have watched this so many times it's crazy, including tonight. Something just strikes a nerve and a tear for this story.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Another movie I've been meaning to see for a long time and is also on Hulu is Margin Call. Also a good movie... albeit slightly marred these days by Kevin Spacey in a starring role.
    I rewatched Margin Call the other night, they must being putting Spacey's movies back up. I enjoyed it. Paul Bettany is the main guy to watch in that. Good movie if incredibly depressing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ready Or Not - Rewatched this because we love it. Samara Weaving's character marries into a crazy family who force her to play a lethal game of hide and seek.

Unpregnant - a high school girl in Missouri wants an abortion and, due to laws from centuries past now current in the South, must travel to New Mexico to get one. It was about what we expected. Certainly watchable, frequently amusing, but lacking the teeth that would make it necessary viewing.

Prey

This is a German film w/ subtitles on Netflix. 5 friends take a bachelor party excursion to the forest for some hiking and typical male bonding stuff. Naturally, things head south in a hurry.
    Nothing really new here, but it is done very well. They do a great job of ramping up the suspense. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Rolling Stone Fall 2022 movie review

I watched a doc called Eva Hesse about the German/American artist. Free over at YT.

Just watched Love and Monsters. I liked it.

We watched a film called The Informer last night, on Netflix, starring Clive Owen, Rosamund Pike, Common, Ana de Armas and Joel Kinnaman. Kinnaman plays a felon who strikes a deal to go back to prison in order to bring down a Polish crime boss, but the deal goes south, and Kinnaman has to find a way out alive. It's a very good thriller that doesn't rely on wall-to-wall violence, considering the characters involved. Not saying there's not violence, but it's not a John Wick film, if you get my meaning. Lots of twists and turns, and Kinnaman's character is easy to root for.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw Jaws in IMAX last night and it was spectacular!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We watched 1917 last night and it was incredible. It plays like it's one continuous shot and the tension is often unbearable. Ye gods, WWI was a gruesome mess.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We watched 1917 last night and it was incredible. It plays like it's one continuous shot and the tension is often unbearable. Ye gods, WWI was a gruesome mess.
    I loved that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We watched a film called The Informer last night, on Netflix, starring Clive Owen, Rosamund Pike, Common, Ana de Armas and Joel Kinnaman. Kinnaman plays a felon who strikes a deal to go back to prison in order to bring down a Polish crime boss, but the deal goes south, and Kinnaman has to find a way out alive. It's a very good thriller that doesn't rely on wall-to-wall violence, considering the characters involved. Not saying there's not violence, but it's not a John Wick film, if you get my meaning. Lots of twists and turns, and Kinnaman's character is easy to root for.
    I saw this a few weeks ago. Agree with all you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just watched Love and Monsters. I liked it.
    I thought this was great
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Crimes of the Future--more David Cronenberg weirdness. SF/horror/body horror type thing. Vague in its concept, and slow and boring too.

Brightburn--better, what if Superman had been evil.

Cats Eye.

Trilogy of short stories based on Stephen King books.

Quitters inc has James Woods as a chronic smoker, goes to the above company to try to quit. Its quite unsettling, and there are scenes of cats and women being tortured that would probably not fly today. The methods the company employ are dubious to say the least.

The Ledge involves Robert Hayes having an affair with a high powered gamblers wife, who bets that he cannot walk around outside the ledge of a high rise building...its not for vertigo sufferers.

The last tale is the weak link, involving a young Drew Barrymore who is being menaced by a troll who tries to steal her breath when she is asleep. The effects and costume of the troll are very poorly done.

The title refers to a cat that roam

Saw that in the theater and loved it.