Page 29 of 394 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Jean de Florette
    Manon of the Spring
    (1986 French w/English subtitles)

One of my favorite films (I consider it one film in two parts). I highly recommend the 2015 BluRay, they remastered the picture in 1080p HD and it looks a thousand times better than the old VHS I used to have. The ending always gets me. The cinematography (shot in Provence) is worth watching alone, but the film is outstanding too.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Apropos of nothing, I believe The Mosquito Coast is the best film Harrison Ford ever made.

From this past weekend in Boston...

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Apropos of nothing, I believe The Mosquito Coast is the best film Harrison Ford ever made.
    There was one, I forget the title, where he plays a corporate lawyer who gets shot in a grocery store hold up. When he wakes up from the coma, he's a different man.

Beyond that, I might be inclined to say American Graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There was one, I forget the title, where he plays a corporate lawyer who gets shot in a grocery store hold up. When he wakes up from the coma, he's a different man.

Beyond that, I might be inclined to say American Graffiti.
    "Regarding Henry", which imo was a great film. Ford was very good but Annette Bening was brilliant.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "Regarding Henry", which imo was a great film. Ford was very good but Annette Bening was brilliant.
    Good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    From this past weekend in Boston...

Very cool!

This is an oldie but a goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Thank you. I only saw it once, but I thought it was a very well done picture.

Every once in a while I like to slip a classic film into the rotation. Well, tonight's feature was "In The Heat Of The Night", starring Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger and the always entertaining, Warren Oates. With music by Quincy Jones and a screenplay by Sterling Silliphant, this movie is a must see for anyone who truly loves film and film history. A story as relevant today as it was in 1967. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and change that.

inthe heat.jpg
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Every once in a while I like to slip a classic film into the rotation. Well, tonight's feature was "In The Heat Of The Night", starring Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger and the always entertaining, Warren Oates. With music by Quincy Jones and a screenplay by Sterling Silliphant, this movie is a must see for anyone who truly loves film and film history. A story as relevant today as it was in 1967. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and change that.

inthe heat.jpg
    Fantastic, accurate civil rights/race relations film.

And from the sublime to the ridiculous:

Student Bodies is on right now!
    "What's going on in my house at 75 cents an hour!"
    "Talking? During horse head bookends?!"
    "Death before disfigurement!"
    "I'm doing what my mommy told me not to!"
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the Lamar High School marching band! The finest marching band on this street, at this moment!"
    "I'd like to kill the kid with the gum!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, in order to achieve an R rating today, a motion picture must contain full frontal nudity, graphic violence, or an explicit reference to the sex act. Since this film has none of those, and since research shows that R rated films are by far the most popular with the movie going public, the producers of this motion picture have asked me to take this opportunity to say, fuck you!"
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    In The Heat Of The Night is a superb movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Lamar High School marching band! The finest marching band on this street, at this moment!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, in order to achieve an R rating today, a motion picture must contain full frontal nudity, graphic violence, or an explicit reference to the sex act. Since this film has none of those, and since research shows that R rated films are by far the most popular with the movie going public, the producers of this motion picture have asked me to take this opportunity to say, fuck you!"
    Student Bodies is a stone cold classic!

"Great physical beauty is a handicap"
    "Melbert sometimes pee red"
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Sounds like a flick I'd like to see. Never even heard of it.

A thought I'm a gonna throw out there. Chicken Run is one of the best movies of all time. It's The Great Escape, but it's CHICKENS!!!! Does no one get this?

"The turnip bought it!" just kills me every time. And the panic button on the dvd is also one of the greatest features ever.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 08-15-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    A thought I'm a gonna throw out there. Chicken Run is one of the best movies of all time. It's The Great Escape, but it's CHICKENS!!!! Does no one get this?
    I loved Nick Park's Wallace & Gromit shorts so I really looked forward to Chicken Run. Was hugely disappointed.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

"All these stairs! I just hope I don't die first!"
    "I'll get it. I'm farthest from the phone." "That makes sense."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Sounds like a flick I'd like to see. Never even heard of it.

"The turnip bought it!" just kills me every time. And the panic button on the dvd is also one of the greatest features ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I loved Nick Park's Wallace & Gromit shorts so I really looked forward to Chicken Run. Was hugely disappointed.
    Oh I loved it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Chicken Run is a very fun movie.

Chickens go in, pies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "All these stairs! I just hope I don't die first!"
    "I'll get it. I'm farthest from the phone." "That makes sense."
    "Am I the innocent looking Toby? Would you trust a girl who likes Prince Valiant in a dress?! Or am I Dr. Sigmund, a man who as arrested for corrupting the morals of a hooker! Then there's Malvert, the janitor with the IQ of a handball, and the personality of a parking meter. Violated!"

I still say Student Bodies is the best comedy horror movie ever. Great send up of all the tropes in the early slasher pictures.

I've neer seen Chicken Run but I'm quite a fan of the Creature Comforts shorts and TV series that were done by the same animation studio. They took interview recordings of people, originally talking about their homes, but I think later they added other topics, and created animation of animals, as if to suggest it wast he animals talking about the topics at hand. There was even an attempt to do an American version, but it only ran for three episodes (7 were produced, but only three aired). The original Creature Comforts short (also directed by Nick Park, btw) won an Oscar (one of the losing nominees, incidentally was the first Wallace And Grommit film).

A bit of trivia: many of the Wallace And Gromit films were written by one Bob Baker. Back in the 70's, Baker often times worked with a gentleman named Dave Martin, can anyone tell me the name of the iconic science fiction character they created?!

A bit of trivia: many of the Wallace And Gromit films were written by one Bob Baker. Back in the 70's, Baker often times worked with a gentleman named Dave Martin, can anyone tell me the name of the iconic science fiction character they created?!
    Who?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Who?
    That's what came to mind first, but that's older than the 70s, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's what came to mind first, but that's older than the 70s, iirc.
    Well, the Doctor is, but not all of his traveling companions are.

Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels is on tonight, love that movie, along with Snatch
    Ian

If you liked Creature Comforts you might dig Chicken Run. CC was actually that, responses to questions then animated for humor. Aardman was the company and they did loads of stuff you have probably seen like Chevron and Serta tv ads to make the company money while they went on to do all kinds of things like Shrek and the Wallace and Gromit movie.

Brilliant business plan, there's a doc out there somewhere about them, really fascinating.