Page 297 of 399 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347397 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,425 of 9952

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Tropic Thunder is a modern classic IMO. It's complete disregard of the stifling politically correctness is only part of what I find hilarious about the movie. The Downey character sendup of actors is great. Very funny movie.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Tropic Thunder is a modern classic IMO. It's complete disregard of the stifling politically correctness is only part of what I find hilarious about the movie. The Downey character sendup of actors is great. Very funny movie.
    I watched it a couple times and it's really a brilliant comedy. Jack Black and Ben Stiller were also great characters.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The director's cut of Aliens is stellar. That whole restored "automatic sentry guns" sequence is pure edge of your seat adrenaline watching those bullet counts plummet and realizing that they were totally fucked as the bugs just kept coming. Not sure why that ended up on the cutting room floor, but it was fantastic. I think I may need to pull that one out this weekend.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think James Cameron figured with Aliens, everyone now knows what the monster looks like so let's just make an action movie that NEVER LETS UP. The original is simply one of the best SF horror movies ever. The sequel is one of the best action movies ever.
    To me the second Alien movie is a pretty darn good action film, but for "NEVER LETS UP", I think Cameron pulled out all the stops five years later with T2 Judgement Day
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I always quite liked The Abyss, which became overshadowed by Cameron's 90s biggies, and its own reputation for being such a troublesome production. But I like it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The David Croneneberg film "Crimes Of The Future"

Looks awesome!!!
    Also really looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed the mellower non-squishy Cronenberg films but it's nice to see him go back to his surreal grossout roots.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Also really looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed the mellower non-squishy Cronenberg films but it's nice to see him go back to his surreal grossout roots.
    I will be interested in hearing your thoughts when you see it. As I posted in my review earlier in this thread, I thought it was just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I always quite liked The Abyss, which became overshadowed by Cameron's 90s biggies, and its own reputation for being such a troublesome production. But I like it.
    I freaking love this film. And agree that it's overshadowed by T2 and Titanic.

Apparently, Cameron used a lot of the knowledge he gained while making The Abyss for the water stuff in Titanic. And, of course, The Abyss led the way for the morphing technology used in T2.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    This is another Cameron film that benefits from the director's cut. It's a totally different film with the restored sequences.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Saw Crimes of the Future last night. Like most Cronenberg films, it stays with you and you have to ruminate on it for a while before deciding how you feel about it, but it was definitely interesting.

We were a bit distracted by the crazy woman sitting next to us talking to herself and PLEASURING HERSELF during the movie! That’s why all movies should be streaming…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We were a bit distracted by the crazy woman sitting next to us talking to herself and PLEASURING HERSELF during the movie!
    Come on, you expect us to believe that!?

Last night we watched The Bank Dick, reputed to be one of W.C. Fields's best. It is a little slow, but that's because it's Of Its Time; given that, it's quite funny.

"Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl."

We also saw a "Everything Wrong With" that did up the whole Star Wars prequel trilogy, and did it up brown. It was ninety minutes long and I laughed the whole time.

Watched the Charlize Theron , The Old Guard on Netfix. Found it entertaining and pretty good. I avoided till now since I have no patience for most super hero movies. I don't know if this could be considered a super hero flic , not a traditional one anyway. Cool premise , well executed.

Couple of movies I've seen recently:

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (HBO). I liked it better than the second one but not as much as the first.

I really wish Rowling would write a more G-rated Fantastic Beasts story.

The Aeronauts (Amazon). Starring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. It came across to me as a period popcorn flick because while it is "based on true events", it is not exactly biographic. The modern tonal approach aside, it was somewhat entertaining for what it was.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Oh, yeah. I saw Secrets of Dumbledore too, but on A'. I think Mads Mikkelson is a better Grindelwald than Depp could ever have been, and I'm a Depp fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Last night we watched The Bank Dick, reputed to be one of W.C. Fields's best. It is a little slow, but that's because it's Of Its Time; given that, it's quite funny.

"Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl."

We also saw a "Everything Wrong With" that did up the whole Star Wars prequel trilogy, and did it up brown. It was ninety minutes long and I laughed the whole time.
    My favorite bit in The Bank Dick is how Fields keeps ordering a glass of water with his drinks, and just rinses his fingers in the water. It’s a great movie!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Come on, you expect us to believe that!?
    It’s true - sadly, it brought a new dimension to the term “Body Horror!”

UFO, 2018 with Gillian Anderson, David Strathairn.

Low key but absorbing sci fi drama. An object is sighted briefly over an airport, and a mathematics student tries to verify the sighting using mathematics, co ordinates etc., plus there are elements of a possible cover up.

There is a strong emphasis on mathematics and equations to determine the facts. Think the first hour of Contact, the element of discovering what the equations mean. But don't expect CGI or spaceships of any sort.

Personally I found it absorbing. But the lack of effects and spectacle may not be for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    UFO, 2018 with Gillian Anderson, David Strathairn.

Low key but absorbing sci fi drama. An object is sighted briefly over an airport, and a mathematics student tries to verify the sighting using mathematics, co ordinates etc., plus there are elements of a possible cover up.

There is a strong emphasis on mathematics and equations to determine the facts. Think the first hour of Contact, the element of discovering what the equations mean. But don't expect CGI or spaceships of any sort.

Personally I found it absorbing. But the lack of effects and spectacle may not be for everyone.
    I just scanned a row of very positive reviews for this. On the list!

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty--somewhat witty and updated version of the film with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig, a bit too long, but overall I enjoyed it and found it a little uplifting.

Here's a fascinating article written by Sarah Polley on the traumatic experiences she had on the set of Terry Gilliam's The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen. I found it quite riveting:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...sen-interview?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here's a fascinating article written by Sarah Polley on the traumatic experiences she had on the set of Terry Gilliam's The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen. I found it quite riveting:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.
    What do you think? I love Gilliam but he certainly came across in that description as occasionally careless if not reckless.

What do you think? I love Gilliam but he certainly came across in that description as occasionally careless if not reckless.
    He seems oblivious to her whole experience. Not in a cruel way, but just like he wasn't even aware that the experience could have been traumatic.

Cripes. That's intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He seems oblivious to her whole experience. Not in a cruel way, but just like he wasn't even aware that the experience could have been traumatic.
    You used the most apt descriptor: oblivious. "Show me the scars!" was the exclamation point at the end of the torturously long sentence that is Terry Gilliam.

P.S. I saw Munchausen in the theater and I thought it sucked...