Page 282 of 394 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332382 ... LastLast
Results 7,026 to 7,050 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

WTF does Pshitty "music" have to do with THe Godfather? That was excruciatingly terrible.Pacino looks so old. Now theres a guy that managed to keep his emotions on screen , where they belong. Deniro , not so much.
    I wish the streaming services hadn't been able to encroach to the extent they have in the movie making process. THeres one more thing tech has fuc**d

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Further food for thought on made for streaming services movies...from Steven Spielburg, " Once you commit to a telivision format, you're a TV movie, you certainly , if it's a good show , deserve an Emmy , but not an Oscar"
    I agree.
    Well, considering the Covid situation, I might give it some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    If Will Smith couldn't control his rage in front of a billion people, then WTF do you think is going on behind closed doors?
    True. Plus just going to this ceremony you could kinda figure there might be some jokey personality barbs. Get some thicker skin maybe?

Plus just going to this ceremony you could kinda figure there might be some jokey personality barbs. Get some thicker skin maybe?
    Yeah, the comedians that host often toss some pretty sharp barbs at the front rows. If you wanna sit up front, be ready for some heat. And Ricky Gervais was just BRUTAL when he used to host the Golden Globes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If I was in charge of the Oscars I'de have a Bob Hope impersonator host. And all nominees would be B&W movies. And pditty would be banned. And other cool stuff.....

Come to think of it now...if they'd all just start slapping each other I'd probably watch. I am a big Stooges fan after all...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    That would be something to see. A roomful of narcissists slapping each other.

My favorite part of last night's show was the nip slip. TV station did its best to cover, so you had to be quick to spot it. Faster than a Will Smith slap.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Can I also just say that the Godfather tribute was exceptionally disappointing? I'm hard pressed to think of a worse idea than playing P. Diddy (or whatever the hell he's called) 'music' over top classic scenes from my favourite films in history. What a joke.
    It was a hideous insult, not to mention fleeting.

I'd like to take whoever did that Godfather tribute and offer them a boat ride on Lake Tahoe.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From what you all have been saying, I'm glad I didn't watch it.

I did hear about the Rock-Smith kerfuffle on the radio, tho, and watched a clip of it a few minutes ago. If I had been Smith, who I've always liked much more than Rock, I'd have waited until after the show to ask him why he made a joke about my wife's condition and then given him an opportunity to apologize. If the tried to play it off, then I'd punch the fuck out of him.

And I don't understand why you guys are letting Rock off the hook. Making a joke at someone's expense over a medical condition is pretty low. And I find it unlikely Rock didn't know about it considering she's been open about it since 2018.

My feeling is all three were at fault, to varying degrees: Chris Rock for being an idiot, Will Smith for being stupid and lacking any self-control, and the Academy for letting Smith stay. They should have thrown him out.

The thing I find most interesting is Rock isn't pressing charges.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    If Will Smith couldn't control his rage in front of a billion people, then WTF do you think is going on behind closed doors?
    Seriously? The guy was defending his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    My wife pointed out that Ms. Smith and Chris Rock had worked together on several animated Madagascar movies, so it's likely they knew each other...
    Voice-over actors don't interact. The actor is stuck in a little soundproof booth to read their lines while the director and a recordist are in the control booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Come to think of it now...if they'd all just start slapping each other I'd probably watch. I am a big Stooges fan after all...
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    And I don't understand why you guys are letting Rock off the hook. Making a joke at someone's expense over a medical condition is pretty low.
    Because being offended is not free rein to commit assault.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I didn't say it was, did I?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The people sitting down front have always been fodder for jokes by the host. Smith is a punk and needs to grow up.

I didn't say it was, did I?
    No, and my apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you did. I'm just keeping a simple focus on the one thing that truly matters about all this (as I see it) because I've seen a lot of people ask why Rock is so off the hook. There's no world where violence is an acceptable response to a bad joke. And you're right, Rock probably was going for a cheap low blow there. But the whole white knight heroism thing... I just don't buy. Those situations are rarely about 'honour', and often about rage and entitlement to be violent. Or from my experience, they are anyway. So she was offended, so what? Being offended isn't the end of the world. If Smith didn't like it, he could have had words with Rock after the show. He could have spoken to the press or on his social media and made Rock look even worse, and actually accomplished something.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Let me reiterate:

"Making a joke at someone's expense over a medical condition is pretty low."

"My feeling is all three were at fault, to varying degrees: Chris Rock for being an idiot, Will Smith for being stupid and lacking any self-control, and the Academy for letting Smith stay. They should have thrown him out."

No, and my apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you did. I'm just keeping a simple focus on the one thing that truly matters about all this (as I see it) because I've seen a lot of people ask why Rock is so off the hook. There's no world where violence is an acceptable response to a bad joke. And you're right, Rock probably was going for a cheap low blow there. But the whole white knight heroism thing... I just don't buy. Those situations are rarely about 'honour', and often about rage and entitlement to be violent. Or from my experience, they are anyway. So she was offended, so what? Being offended isn't the end of the world. If Smith didn't like it, he could have had words with Rock after the show. He could have spoken to the press or on his social media and made Rock look even worse, and actually accomplished something.
    I mostly agree. However, the thing I think you guys are missing is this:

"You just got to witness in real time what happens in a man’s soul when he looks over to the woman he loves & sees her holding back tears from a 'little joke' at her expense. This is what any & every real man feels in that instant. while y’all seeing the joke he’s seeing her pain" - Micki Minaj

“Many takes on here about Will Smith and Chris Rock, especially from people whose partners are not Black women. I don’t care if it’s a joke or not, the amount Black women have to endure — people are tired of it. We have no idea what Jada has gone through.” - author Frederick Joseph

And from what I understand, the experience caused by her alopecia hasn't been painless for Jada.

p.s. my previous post was almost the same time as yours.

My last post about this.

I think what Chris Rock did was shitty.

I think what Will Smith did was shitty.

And I think the Academy shouldn't have rewarded Smith with his award.

My concern is with Jada.

Last week, I was, against my will, drawn in to Dracula Untold. The premise was to follow (at a distance) the actual history of Vlad the Impaler and his battle against the Turkish aggressors, having him become a vamp to best his enemy. There were multiple faults with this waste of cash and celluloid, but the nit I am going to pick is the military.

Why is it so many creators in Hollywood love battles and swords waving but the actual strategy employed is either nonexistent or so stupid it beggars belief? Even simple acts like an ambush or the sudden appearance of another force are entirely done in such a stupid manner that makes me want to scream into a pillow or seek out the writers and director in order to impale them on rusty spearheads. Whoops, we got Turks in the monastery, we thought they were all out front. No explanation of how they got in, no explanation on how the Romanians were so stupid as to not check the back door. And then it got even dumber. And I've seen shit like this again and again. The last two season of Game of Thrones had more battle idiocy than F Troop. What the hell is wrong with these writers?

Let me reiterate:

"Making a joke at someone's expense over a medical condition is pretty low."

"My feeling is all three were at fault, to varying degrees: Chris Rock for being an idiot, Will Smith for being stupid and lacking any self-control, and the Academy for letting Smith stay. They should have thrown him out."
    Let's keep this medical condition in perspective. There exists on Utube a video put out by Jada Smith showing the effects of her alopecia . It is literally a pencil thin line of hairlessness about 6 inches long situated well back from the forehead. In other words Unnoticeable . As for Smith looking over to the woman he loves and seeing her cry , again video does not lie. There was No crying , just eye rolling irritation on Jada's part. I personally in no way feel sorry for either of the Smiths considering the blessings life has bestowed them both. They are both pompous jackasses with an outsized opinion of themselves and their place in the order of things. The reaction and was over the top , the provocation paltry.
    As for Cris Rock , he was just doing his job. The "joke" was a throw away given with no malicious intent.

Let's keep this medical condition in perspective. There exists on Utube a video put out by Jada Smith showing the effects of her alopecia . It is literally a pencil thin line of hairlessness about 6 inches long situated well back from the forehead. In other words Unnoticeable . As for Smith looking over to the woman he loves and seeing her cry , again video does not lie. There was No crying , just eye rolling irritation on Jada's part. I personally in no way feel sorry for either of the Smiths considering the blessings life has bestowed them both. They are both pompous jackasses with an outsized opinion of themselves and their place in the order of things. The reaction and was over the top , the provocation paltry.
    As for Cris Rock , he was just doing his job. The "joke" was a throw away given with no malicious intent.
    I agree 100%. And believe me, I can't bear to see my wife's feelings hurt over anything, and in that situation I'm likely to have a bit of temper myself. But a reason is not an excuse, and I'd like to think I'd react within reasonable bounds. If not, I'd fully expect to be dealt with accordingly. Removed from the premises, not invited back, and certainly not given an award and a standing ovation, later dancing the night away. How utterly grotesque.

Rock's joke being tasteless is nothing new under the sun for the comedy world or Oscar ceremonies. I'm not crazy about all the purposely offensive 'roast' comedy styles that go on so much now, I don't find them funny, people don't laugh, they wince.

Anyway, we're probably all just saying essentially the same thing over and over, and we all agree on the most important points anyway.

Did I mention I was disgusted by the Godfather tribute?

This is completely spot on. If you want to see real Alopecia, (and real talent,) go look at Molly Tuttle.

The thing I find most interesting is Rock isn't pressing charges.
    Seriously? The guy was defending his wife.
    What Rock said is not a crime (in poor taste, yes), but what Smith did was a crime.

I assume Rock may look at his comedy differently going forward. Security should have ushered Smith out of the theater.

Enough of that. I watched Coda off Apple +. It was okay maybe three or three and a half stars. There were some things I didn't care for and I found it sort of unrealistic, which dealt more with scripting and I guess characterization than anything. I then canceled my sub there. I finished up watching the third season to Servant, which I overall enjoyed, and might resub Apple once the fourth season gets made. Overall Apple+ has some fairly decent content, but it's pretty new to the streaming services, and I can't sub to everything. What I don't like about Apple+ though is they'll have movies up, like Spiderman (the new one), and you click on it, and it says buy it for $29.00 or rent for $15. or whatever. If I was going to rent the new Spiderman at that price you might as well sub Disney for a month. I don't like that. They should have everything that's free in one section, and the rentals and such way below, if at all.

Because Smith was wrong does NOT mean that Rock was right.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Because Smith was wrong does NOT mean that Rock was right.
    I know that. I don't care for that kind of humour myself. I've never liked those roasts for example, they're just juvenile contests of who can be more offensive.

...however, as I said, so people are offended. So what? This wasn't someone antagonizing another, goading them to act on their increasing temper and hoping they'll act out. This was a joke, by a stand-up comedian, on a stage famous for this kind of thing. There's no way Rock intended it to be as enraging as it apparently was. If you can't take a joke without becoming a raging lunatic, you should stay away from events that will be loaded with them. I didn't see Jennifer Lawrence rush the stage to smack Amy Schumer for joking that she had gained weight.

Both of those guys may have been wrong, but one was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more wrong than the other. One said some words, the other committed assault. Should we normalize violence as a reaction to words we don't like? Should there be a list of what we can say and can't talk about, and leave it to the discretion of the people who like or tend to be violent? Does it end at slapping, or can we be more physically damaging depending on the words that were uttered?