Page 27 of 397 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And you don't think the movie would have been just as effective if, say, the bodies turned up with big chunks taken out of them? Like say, if the body of the girl at the beginning of the first Jaws, let's her body washes up on shore, with half of her right leg missing? In Jaws 3, they manage to find one victim's body (or most of it), despite the fact that the shark is apparently big enough to swallow a whole man. You're going to tell me that's one of the reasons why Jaws 3 isn't as good as the first movie, huh?
    So the reeking turd that is Jaws 3 is better than the one directed by Spielberg and starring Robert Shaw as Quint?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

But sharks coming out of a tornado are freaking awesome!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, well, disbelief is meant to be suspended, not hanged by the neck until dead.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Wow...I feel bad for you guys that have to pick everything apart like this. That must be torture!! I mean, until yesterday, in this very thread, I never even gave that Alien screaming a single thought Nor did I gave a flying, donkey shit about how Jaws ate people!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    So the reeking turd that is Jaws 3 is better than the one directed by Spielberg and starring Robert Shaw as Quint?

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this, but here goes:

In conventional filmmaking terms, no, there's no way Jaws 3 is as good (never mind better) than the original. And I would never suggest that it was. The original Jaws was a highly suspenseful picture, with a well written script, top notch acting, musical score, etc.

But Jaws 3-D has something else going for it. Call it the late night movie factor. It has more in common with pictures like Death Race 2000, Kingdom Of The Spiders, etc, than any Spielberg picture (well, there is Duel, and maybe 1941, but most of the stuff most people associate with the name "Steven Spielberg" doesn't really belong in this category). That is to say, they're highly entertaining, but in a very different way than, let's say the original Jaws or Raiders Of The Lost Ark or whatever.

Now, your aesthetic tastes may not run to things like memorable dialog, bad special effects, misused acting talent (the frell was Louis Gossett Jr, who had just been nominated for an Oscar, doing in Jaws 3?!), or movie endings that have been appropriated from other films (and as I said elsewhere, the trope of killing the shark, using the booby trapped corpse of a scuba diver had been used in not one, but two other movies, both of them effectively "Jaws knockoffs" before Jaws 3), pretty actresses running around in wetsuits, etc. That's fine. But for those of who like watching the kind of movies that used to turn up on Mystery Science Theater 3000, it's actually a pretty good picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Wow...I feel bad for you guys that have to pick everything apart like this.
    It's not that I have to. Or want to. Trust me, I'd love to watch a movie that doesn't make me roll my eyes.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Wow...I feel bad for you guys that have to pick everything apart like this. That must be torture!! I mean, until yesterday, in this very thread, I never even gave that Alien screaming a single thought Nor did I gave a flying, donkey shit about how Jaws ate people!
    Well, as Joan Baez might say, speaking strictly for myself, it really doesn't bother me that much. I actually enjoy most movies regardless of how much they follow the laws of science or whatever. As Bugs Bunny once said, "I never studied law!".

But you wanna talk about "picking everything apart", the one that gets my blood boiling is the school dance scene in Back To The Future. We're supposed to believe that:

1. A really mediocre Eddie Van Halen wannabe is somehow conversant in Chuck Berry licks,
    2. The guitarist in the band playing at the school dance somehow has a Gibson ES-345, three years before the model was actually introduced.
    3. Said would be guitar hero is able to play a guitar that is almost unplayable in comparison to the shred machines he's used to (in short, guitars in the 50's generally higher action, and heavier strings than the guitars you saw EVH, his successors, and their respective disciples, play)
    4. Apart from the fact that any guitar in 1955 probably would have been unplayable for a teenage metal guy, there's the fact that at least part of that ridiculous guitar solo clearly is being played a guitar that isn't equipped with a Bigsby whammy bar.
    5. That Marvin Berry's band is so sharp, that they can sound like a tightly rehearsed band, even when playing a song for the very first time. I don't care if it's a Chuck Berry song, it's still going to sound sloppy the first time you play it.

Also, there's the guitars in the Buddy Holly Story. Through the course of the film, Gary Busey plays a CBS era Strat (identifiable by the larger headstock shape, as compared to the pre-CBS Strats), a Telecaster, and a Bronco, all made by Fender. The Bronco didn't exist in Buddy's lifetime, Buddy never played a Telecaster, and the larger headstock didn't appear on a Strat until several years after Buddy's death.

He doesn't do it much anymore, but my dad used to do the same thing with guns and cars. Like if we're watching a movie that's supposed to be set in WWII, he'll point out that someone's carrying a gun that wasn't introduced until the 1950's. Or in a movie that's supposed to be set in 1952, he'll point someone's driving a 1957 Buick or whatever.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Oh my lord. Why was the other movie thread yanked instead of just yanking the offending posts?????? This one's annoying as fuck.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

But you wanna talk about "picking everything apart", the one that gets my blood boiling is the school dance scene in Back To The Future
    That scene is hard for me to watch, now, because the premise is that a white kid gave an innovating black guitarist his "sound". Another example of cultural appropriation but with a twist. Most people, if they've even thought about it, will never understand how offensive that scene may be to African-Americans.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Reality forced onto escapism. Weird.
    The world also needs more Yes threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That scene is hard for me to watch, now, because the premise is that a white kid gave an innovating black guitarist his "sound". Another example of cultural appropriation but with a twist. Most people, if they've even thought about it, will never understand how offensive that scene may be to African-Americans.
    Well, apart from the fact that by the time Marvin gets Chuck on the line and tells him to "listen to this", the actual song is already over and Marty is playing that crazy guitar solo, so Chuck would have heard much of what we associate with his "sound".

But yeah, I think that bit is more than a little offensive. But I think the idea is the whole "chicken or the egg" paradox, much like the earlier scene where Marty recognizes the future mayor of the town sweeping up the malt shop, and says "Some day, you'll be mayor", which apparently is what inspires him go down the road that leads to the mayorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Really?

Van Halen was the hottest guitarist in the world at the time, and they brought him back to the 50s.

thats it

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this, but here goes:

In conventional filmmaking terms, no, there's no way Jaws 3 is as good (never mind better) than the original. And I would never suggest that it was. The original Jaws was a highly suspenseful picture, with a well written script, top notch acting, musical score, etc.

But Jaws 3-D has something else going for it. Call it the late night movie factor. It has more in common with pictures like Death Race 2000, Kingdom Of The Spiders, etc, than any Spielberg picture (well, there is Duel, and maybe 1941, but most of the stuff most people associate with the name "Steven Spielberg" doesn't really belong in this category). That is to say, they're highly entertaining, but in a very different way than, let's say the original Jaws or Raiders Of The Lost Ark or whatever.

Now, your aesthetic tastes may not run to things like memorable dialog, bad special effects, misused acting talent (the frell was Louis Gossett Jr, who had just been nominated for an Oscar, doing in Jaws 3?!), or movie endings that have been appropriated from other films (and as I said elsewhere, the trope of killing the shark, using the booby trapped corpse of a scuba diver had been used in not one, but two other movies, both of them effectively "Jaws knockoffs" before Jaws 3), pretty actresses running around in wetsuits, etc. That's fine. But for those of who like watching the kind of movies that used to turn up on Mystery Science Theater 3000, it's actually a pretty good picture.
    I'll buy this logic.

"
    Guitargeek ; " 2. The guitarist in the band playing at the school dance somehow has a Gibson ES-345, three years before the model was actually introduced. "

Explanation; The very fabric of the space time continuum has been stressed by the time travelers , exhibited in the disappearing photo images, causing the out of spacial congruences of guitar evolution.Really elementary.

Guitargeek "
    He doesn't do it much anymore, but my dad used to do the same thing with guns and cars. Like if we're watching a movie that's supposed to be set in WWII, he'll point out that someone's carrying a gun that wasn't introduced until the 1950's. Or in a movie that's supposed to be set in 1952, he'll point someone's driving a 1957 Buick or whatever. "

This is half the fun of movie watching , finding the mistakes , like a Wheres Waldo game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Oh my lord. Why was the other movie thread yanked instead of just yanking the offending posts?????? This one's annoying as fuck.
    Lighten up Francis.

Yeah. Even better: delete the users behind the continuous infractions. I can list about 4 candidates.

What "infractions" of anything have occurred in this thread??? Please post the link to The Infraction Handbook. And then quit wetting your panties over nothing, or better yet, delete yourself if you don't like the subject matter.

Watched All Monsters Attack (aka Godzilla's Revenge) last night. This is probably the least impressive of all the Shōwa era Godzilla pictures. It definitely feels likes a "kid's movie" more than any of the other classic Godzilla pictures. Yeah, a lot of them are pretty silly, but I don't think any of the others quite stoop to the level of ignoring everyone over the age of, say about 10, the way this one does. At least, not among the ones I've seen recently, anyway. I mean, the movie's climax centers around a young boy outwitting a pair of bank robbers (I wonder if John Hughes ever saw this movie).

Also, according to Wikipedia, they recycled a lot of footage from Ebirah: Horror Of The Deep, Son Of Godzilla (which I also have on the DVR), Destroy All Monsters (which is on next week) and something called King Kong Escapes (which I don't remember ever seeing). So you kinda feel a little short changed if you've seen all those movies, and you recognize the old footage.
    big Godzilla fan here as my name implies. have come around a lot to Godzilla's revenge. obviously as compared to the original or some of the more adult minded films it is very silly and not in that tone but as a kids movie it is kinda interesting and the depiction of children using imagination to escape from a fairly bleak situation is kinda nice. and if you use that logic using stock footage isn't so bad just imagine he just saw Godzilla vs the sea monster on tv so now he relives it in his head. a lot of the later Godzilla movies used stock footage in worse ways at least.

what I have grown to like about Godzilla movies is there does seem to be at least one for many different moods that pliability is something few other franchises can claim.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    What "infractions" of anything have occurred in this thread??? Please post the link to The Infraction Handbook. And then quit wetting your panties over nothing, or better yet, delete yourself if you don't like the subject matter.
    You get quite unfurled when called out.

Please refer to what Paulie said about the OTHER thread, which resulted in my comment -- in bold so it's easier for you to see:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah. Even better: delete the users behind the continuous infractions. I can list about 4 candidates.

Now that we have that out of the way, it would probably be best for you to not continue down that path. You can do it. You just gotta believe in yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    You get quite unfurled when called out.

Please refer to what Paulie said about the OTHER thread, which resulted in my comment -- in bold so it's easier for you to see:

Now that we have that out of the way, it would probably be best for you to not continue down that path. You can do it. You just gotta believe in yourself!
    Geez, get a frickin life.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-13-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: assclown factor

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Geez, get a frickin life.
    Said the stove to the kettle
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, apart from the fact that by the time Marvin gets Chuck on the line and tells him to "listen to this", the actual song is already over and Marty is playing that crazy guitar solo
    You're not remembering the scene accurately. Regardless, that's irrelevant anyway. The idea as presented is that Marty appropriates Chuck Berry's sound & style of playing and then, through time travel and Marvin calling his cousin, gives it back to Chuck... as if he needed the help in the first place. There's so much wrong with this scene, not least of which is the history of white musicians appropriating stuff from black musicians and white people patronizing blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Really?

Van Halen was the hottest guitarist in the world at the time, and they brought him back to the 50s.

thats it
    No, that's not it. Watch it again from a different perspective:

Man, it's like a dog whistle the way certain people take the bait hook, line and sinker...

(And yes, I mixed my metaphors)

I dunno Hal, the only thing I see wrong with that scene is Michael J Fox in a mediocre 80s comedy.

so what did you think about The Purge?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak