Page 271 of 394 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321371 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw last night: The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, sequel to The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Larry Blamire's films are just hilarious, unless you don't like that sort of thing, in which case they aren't. Full of lines like: "Touch my wife again and I'll eat your hands!" -- and, no, it doesn't make sense in context; it's just the kind of semi-surreal dialogue Blamire writes, directs, and acts.

Probably the best place to start with Blamire is Dark and Stormy Night, which at least makes a kind of surface sense.
    My brother sent me The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra as a gift. Funny movie. Did not know there is a sequel.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    Went to see the new Paul Thomas Anderson film “Licorice Pizza” this afternoon.
    I read a bit about the film but have yet to see it. There seemed to be some confusion online about where the title "Licorice Pizza" came from. Decades ago, there was a small California record store chain called "Licorice Pizza," presumably from the resemblance of an LP record to a licorice pizza. It was a pretty neat store. I remember one purchase I made there. They were playing some great-sounding rock over the PA in the store. I asked what they were playing. It was Phenomenon by UFO, a band I had not heard at the time. I asked if they had it. They did, but only as an import. I still have that record, and the following year I saw UFO in concert. The Licorice Pizza people turned me on to a great band.

I'll let you know what I think of the movie when I see it.

Other night we watched Pumpkinhead, a horror film, on TV. In the credits I spotted Mayim Bialek's name. She played one of the children in her first acting role at age 12. Movie wasn't bad.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^ It's a minor Horror classic, but the sequels aren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's a minor Horror classic, but the sequels aren't as good.
    Can be said about so many films....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Turns out that there's a third "Lost Skeleton" movie in the works, The Lost Skeleton Walks Among Us. Hoorah!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Watched the film “Judas And The Black Messiah” on HBO Max this evening. The film is relatively historically accurate depiction of the death of Chicago Black Panther party leader Fred Hampton and William O’Neal who was a CI for the FBI. I thought the film was excellent with great acting.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Watched the Many Saints Of Newark. I was expecting something awful but I didn't hate it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Watched the Many Saints Of Newark. I was expecting something awful but I didn't hate it.
    About the same reaction from me. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. It could have been a better film.

For anyone into Gordon Lightfoot there is a great fairly new documentary on Amazon Prime called "If You Could Read My Mind". I had planned to just check out a few minutes of it yesterday and ended up watching the whole thing.

I started to watch that Gordon Lightfoot bio/doc when I had Amazon, but dropped Prime, and moved on. I may watch it if/when I pick them up again.

I saw Apple's The Velvet Underground doc. It was pretty good. I got a three-month free sub with them with my new iPhone so thought why not. Overall I'm not that impressed with their movie service yet. It may get better over time, but right now I think the top two services are Netflix, and HBO Max. I'll probably drop the service once the free trial ends. I did watch some of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I knew a bit about the novel and had started it at one time, but didn't grab my attention. The series didn't either. I found it done pretty well, but sadly pretty boring.

Watched the Sandra Bullock film “The Unforgivable” last night (it was the wife’s pick). It was ok, but the story was pretty ridiculous. Apparently this was a mini-series back on 2009 called “The Unforgiven”, but I had never heard of it. Packed into a 2 hour movie the film took a lot of jumps in the story. Not sure that I would recommend this one, although it wasn’t terrible.

Some recent watches:

Ju-On - original Japanese horror film later remade in US as The Grudge. Good, but somewhat confusing to me.

Walk, Don't Run - Cary Grant's final film, a comedy, also starring Samantha Eggar. Filmed in Tokyo during the 1964 Olympic Games. Good old-fashioned comedy/romance. If you watch it, spot young George Takei in a small role.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I saw Apple's The Velvet Underground doc. It was pretty good.
    I think I watched it mostly for the old footage and to satisfy my penchant for music history and I agree: it was pretty good; just not great.

I got a three-month free sub with them with my new iPhone so thought why not. Overall I'm not that impressed with their movie service yet. It may get better over time, but right now I think the top two services are Netflix, and HBO Max. I'll probably drop the service once the free trial ends. I did watch some of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I knew a bit about the novel and had started it at one time, but didn't grab my attention. The series didn't either. I found it done pretty well, but sadly pretty boring.
    My niece got a free subscription for a year last summer and I've been using her login. I agree with everything you said. And I'll go further: their home screen sucks. Every other streaming service has some sort of easily findable link to your watch list. Not Apple. And navigating to that list is so counterintuitive. Of course, like everything they do, Apple has to do things a little differently. They're like the Audi of tech.

Also agree on Foundation. The most anticipated show in the history of television for me and I watched maybe three or four episodes. So many changes to the story and I can't figure why. I double checked and Peter Jackson is not involved so I don't know wtf is going on. Most disappointing thing I've seen since Fonzie went water skiing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hippypants mentioned his two favorite services are Netflix and HBOM.

I'm not sure what mine are. I know I watch Hulu more than any other but I have more shows on my watch list on Netflix than any other. So I'd say Hulu is #1. For my #2, I go back and forth between HBO, Prime, and Netflix.

The main problem with Netflix is their player, which is the second worst of all of them (Epix being the worst, easily). You'd think that the #1 streaming service would have a better player but I guess they don't care. And I'm not the only person who has commented on this.

Anyway, so what are others' fave streaming services?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    1. Hulu (live sports now with ESPN+ bundled so get Cricket, Rugby, Soccer loads of obscure stuff)
    2. Britbox (sucker for British detective shows)
    3. HBO Max (Luther, Sopranos, The Wire, Westworld, GOT)
    4. Netflix (Jessica Jones, Witcher, Downton Abbey, Stranger Things, The Crown)
    5. Disney Plus (Marvel, Star Wars)
    6. Amazon Prime (The Expanse, Hanna, Wheel Of Time, Bosch, Britannia)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Anyway, so what are others' fave streaming services?
    We currently use in no particular order:

Netflix (lots of good stuff)
    Amazon Prime (sometimes ticks me off that they charge extra for some films / series)
    HBO / HBO Max (Still some of the best stuff out there)
    Showtime (Inconsistent, but they have some good stuff)
    Spectrum On Demand (Good for some movies)
    ESPN + (I mainly get this for WMU football)

I really need to look into Hulu.

We use
    HBOMax
    Netflix
    Prime.
    All are decent. HBOM has best original programing , usually.
    Tried HULU and dumped it after watching season 1 of Only Murders In The Building. Which was good. I'm not into sports and disney is the Devil.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We don't have as much selections as the U.S. I have Netflix, Prime, Crave (movie channels you pay for each month), but no HBO Max or Hulu. We have Disney - I'd like to see the Beatles doc but not enough to pay for a membership.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Showtime (Inconsistent, but they have some good stuff)
    Agreed. It's actually the one I watch least. Or it was before new episodes of The Morning Show ended on Apple.

I really need to look into Hulu.
    The great thing about Hulu is that it has some current shows from cable networks, like FX, Fox, and AMC.

Here are just some of the shows they offer:

Rick & Morty (4 seasons; season 5 due between Jan 30 and Feb 6)
    Letterkenny (10 seasons)
    The Venture Bros (7 seasons)
    Futurama (10 seasons)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (15 seasons)
    Fargo (4 seasons)
    Bob's Burgers (12 seasons, including the current one)
    Killing Eve (3 seasons)
    The Handmaid's Tale (4 seasons)
    Archer (12 seasons)
    Family Guy (1-current)
    SNL (seasons 1-5 and 30-current)
    Preacher (one of the best, most bizarre shows of the past 5 or 6 years and they have all 4 seasons!)

I also recently discovered they have a bunch of Britcoms, including Peep Show, The Office, and The Mighty Boosh.

There are other shows from the broadcast networks but I don't watch any of those so I can't tell you what they are or if they're current, altho I did see something for Abbott Elementary, which is a brand new show on ABC. It's also how I watch SNL because I can zip thru it right to Weekend Update.

Just don't expect a lot of newer, big budget movies. Most of their movies are more like what you might find on Showtime. Here are most of the best they have to offer (I'm listing these as much for myself):

Arrival
    Black Swan
    The Conversation (the 1974 movie w/Gene Hackman)
    Deadpool (1 & 2)
    Master and Commander
    Moneyball
    Nomadland
    Se7en
    Skyfall
    Star Trek (various)
    Parasite
    The Princess Bride
    World War Z
    You're Next

I also subscribed to Disney+ for The Beatles documentary and have kept it for The Mandalorian, which I really liked. The Book of Boba Fett just started a couple weeks ago and, so far, I've liked it even more. That's saying something because I don't particularly care for the character Boba Fett nor the actor who plays him, which will ordinarily turn me off of a show. Not to mention it doesn't have Grogu ("baby Yoda"). That's how well written the show is. I'll probably dump it, tho, once Boba Fett finishes.

Kinda got a little lost in the weeds, there, didn't I? lol

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We have Disney - I'd like to see the Beatles doc but not enough to pay for a membership.
    I pay $8.57/mo for Disney but will more than likely cancel after the Boba Fett TV show finishes. The Beatles doc is only three parts (7.8 hrs total) and you could easily cancel after you're done watching it. Disney also lets you share your login (they all do); you can have 6 people watching simultaneously so you could go halves with one or more family members and/or friends.

My brother, niece, and I all share logins, which is how I can watch so many streaming services:

Amazon Prime
    Apple
    DirecTV
    Disney
    Epix
    HBO Max
    Hulu
    Netflix
    Showtime
    TCM
    Xfinity

I really don't understand why more people aren't taking advantage of this.

My son got me a Roku device and a subscription to the Criterion Channel and its incredible.

Also ,with a library card you can stream free films on the Kanopy app.

Thats all I need
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Not streaming, but one other thing that my wife and I do for movies is our local 12 screen / IMAX theater has a deal where you pay $20 per month and can see up to 3 movies a week (12 total per month). This includes IMAX it is a pretty good deal. My wife and I are both recently retired, so have been seeing a lot of movies.

We use a Firestick to manage apps.

Permanent stream:
    HBOMax
    Netflix
    Prime
    Disney+

Trial basis now and then:
    Hulu
    Paramount+
    Peacock
    Discovery+
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This film would seem like a cynical case of opportunism except that it was made between 2017 and 2019.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    This film would seem like a cynical case of opportunism except that it was made between 2017 and 2019.
    Damn.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally