Page 25 of 394 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Most people will remember this Blake Edwards movie for the "sword fight". Ritter and the husband of another character get in a fight in the dark while each is wearing a glow-in-the-dark condom.
    I was working in a theater when it came out. We got promo shirts with the title and a couple of neon crossing swords on it, with the tagline: The comedy that glows in the dark.
    Or maybe I didn't see Skin Deep, as I definitely don't remember that.

So how the frell do I know the chick from the If I'd Been The One video was in it?!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So how the frell do I know the chick from the If I'd The One video was in it?![/FONT]
    Answer: because you are a sponge for useless info

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Forgive me for not sharing your affection for the man.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just a guess.
    I don't know about you, but he's my guy if I ever need to find out the name of a gaffer or key grip in any 80's movie starting with the letter K!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If anyone noticed, I can't really comment on new movies, since I have been to the theater, maybe, once in the last ten years. Now, you wanna talk old flicks, then I'm in.
    Aside from taking my son to a few movies a year (Disney, etc.), I think the last movie I saw in a theater was the new Bladerunner.

This reminds me, my wife mentioned she heard they're adding a new Oscar award - Best Popular Film - and apparently it's because people were upset that Wonder Woman didn't win for best picture! And also because they're afraid to not give best picture to Black Panther, so they can give it this award instead. This got me thinking about how IMO Broadway theater has become totally crappy as far as new shows. Every new show is based on a book or movie or something, and they all seem to suck. So then I wondered, how many good movies are still coming out? I'm sure there are some decent indie films, but most of the Oscar winners don't seem too intriguing to me, but I don't follow new movies much at all.

There was a NY Times article a few months back about how the superhero movies are making it harder to get more "serious" films made. The superhero movies are so popular that studios would rather make a movie like that that's "good enough," and can be part of a series, rather than risk anything on something different.

John Ritter was excellent in Sling Blade. Definitely not a comedy, although there were some funny moments.
    Yes he was. I kind of agree with Ron. Ritter's efforts at being funny usually have the opposite effect. But his dramatic and supporting roles are usually really good (Sling Blade, Bad Santa, etc).

I remember years ago (ca. 2001) talking to the infamous Lino about Sling Blade. He said it was his favorite movie. So, I finally watched it a few months later. Jesus, what a good movie. And the thing that still blows my mind is that it was written and directed by Bill Bob Thornton who also stars in it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll add House of Sand and Fog to my watch list.
    Also add Death and the Maiden if you haven't seen it. Excellent film with Kingsley and Sigourney Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    2010 was good and Running Scared was good for what it was.
    I liked 2010 also, and I thought Outland was pretty good too.

Just a guess.
    Yeah, but I'm trying to figure where would I have gotten that info from. I mean, if I know that someone like Julianne Phillips is a relatively obscure movie like Skin Deep is because I actually saw it. Unless the soundtrack was done by Tangerine Dream. A lot of the Tangerine Dream scores I know about either because there was an article on it in Keyboard magazine (e.g. Legend) or I found the soundtrack album at the library (e.g. Near Dark and Miracle Mile). I saw Legend in theater, and saw both Near Dark and Miracle Mile on Cinemax, just off the fact that TD had done the music.

So there must have been some sort of promo on Skin Deep, either a TV spot or whatever and Julianne Phillips was in that, and that's why I know it. She was on a popular TV show at the time, I think it was called Sisters, that's probably where most of the rest of the planet know her from, so it makes sense the producers would play up her presence when promoting the movie.

But damn, now I'm wondering if I haven't missed out on a good movie. John Ritter, the chick from that one .38 Special video, Tasha Yar, a "sword fight", and written directed, and produced by Blake Edwards. OK, maybe not a "good movie" by DocProgger's standards, but still, maybe something I might enjoy watching at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So then I wondered, how many good movies are still coming out?
    Not many at all, imo. In the last week I watched The Post, The Infiltrator, and The Man Who Wasn't There. They were all... meh. But maybe that's not what you mean.

I don't know if it's me or the movies but most of the movies released in that last 10-15 years that get lot of praise or are really popular I find to be just okay, if that. The new-ish movie I saw recently that I enjoyed the most was The Equalizer. In the last year or two it would probably be Nocturnal Animals. The movie that surprised me the most at how much I liked it was Ready Player One... and I almost always avoid watching stupid, mindless action movies. Altho, John Wick was a hell of a lot of fun.

I don't know if I've gotten to the point I've seen too many movies or my standards are too high or both, but I find cable and streaming TV shows have been more enjoyable than movies for quite a while, now (Justified, Mr Robot, Archer, Black Mirror, Veep, Preacher, Santa Clarita Diet, Line of Duty, Breaking Bad, etc).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The superhero movies are so popular that studios would rather make a movie like that that's "good enough," and can be part of a series, rather than risk anything on something different.
    Yeah, cos The Shape Of Water wasn't...um...different. (Not directing the snark at you Jed, but at the studios who are using that as an excuse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Puttin this her again in case it was missed. I'm curious as to wether I'm nuts or not for liking it so much probably...
    Ok, I pulled the trigger on The Rover tonight. Sorry Klonk, I barely made it through. Where you were captivated, I was bored. Your review was actually spot on though.
    The acting was good. Especially Pattinson. But, like you said previously, it just wasn't my cuppa. YMMV
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    He was excellent in House Of Sand And Fog too.
    Yes, he was, and you've reminded me of two things: one, that was a well-made film that I watched with my wife a number of years ago, and two, I don't think I could ever watch it again because I'm overly sensitive to certain kinds of tragedy, and this movie is very tragic in those ways. <no spoilers here> All that said, it is indeed a film well worth watching. Ben Kingsley is a giant talent, no question about it. He also does quite excellent narration for audio books.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 08-11-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ok, I pulled the trigger on The Rover tonight. Sorry Klonk, I barely made it through. Where you were captivated, I was bored. Your review was actually spot on though.
    The acting was good. Especially Pattinson. But, like you said previously, it just wasn't my cuppa. YMMV
    Aw man...sorry to steer ya wrong buddy! Yeah...I did have a feeling this would be the case though. I don't know...I just really dug the barren, dreary atmosphere and I was fascinated with why he wanted that car back so bad. Turns out I LOVED why he had to have it back. Maybe it was my mood at the time

Wow, John Ritter made movies? More to avoid.
    Yow.

He was actually a brilliant physical comedian, but whatever. Everyone's taste is different.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I think the fact the Ritter could fool Mr. Furley for so long re his sexual preference so he could room with 2 chicks is proof of his comedic genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I don't know if it's me or the movies but most of the movies released in that last 10-15 years that get lot of praise or are really popular I find to be just okay, if that.
    Well, I generally don't pay attention to what's "getting a lot of praise" or is "popular". But for the last 15 years, let's see, there's a few movies I've seen that I liked:

Almost Normal
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Death Proof
    Machete:
    The Killer In Me
    Awake
    Go
    Staten Island
    School For Scoundrels

There's others, but those are the ones that I can think off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Everyone's taste is different.
    Indeed. Some people have a hard time accepting that, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Who doesn't like John Ritter? People who are no fun at barbecues...that's who.

Who doesn't like John Ritter? People who are no fun at barbecues...that's who.
    Who goes to barbecues?

Who goes to barbecues?
    Exactly.

Exactly.
    Not sure what that means, as my reply was a joke. I certainly go to barbecues.

But, it would REALLY be nice to move on.

Aw man...sorry to steer ya wrong buddy! Yeah...I did have a feeling this would be the case though. I don't know...I just really dug the barren, dreary atmosphere and I was fascinated with why he wanted that car back so bad. Turns out I LOVED why he had to have it back. Maybe it was my mood at the time
    No worries good sir! Not every hit leaves the park. I do agree the ending was special.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Watched All Monsters Attack (aka Godzilla's Revenge) last night. This is probably the least impressive of all the Shōwa era Godzilla pictures. It definitely feels likes a "kid's movie" more than any of the other classic Godzilla pictures. Yeah, a lot of them are pretty silly, but I don't think any of the others quite stoop to the level of ignoring everyone over the age of, say about 10, the way this one does. At least, not among the ones I've seen recently, anyway. I mean, the movie's climax centers around a young boy outwitting a pair of bank robbers (I wonder if John Hughes ever saw this movie).

Also, according to Wikipedia, they recycled a lot of footage from Ebirah: Horror Of The Deep, Son Of Godzilla (which I also have on the DVR), Destroy All Monsters (which is on next week) and something called King Kong Escapes (which I don't remember ever seeing). So you kinda feel a little short changed if you've seen all those movies, and you recognize the old footage.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

2010: Maybe I was expecting too much from it, but it didn't come up to either the Kubrick movie or the Clarke book it was based on.

Outland: I can't even begin to tell you how much I loathe that movie. "High Noon in space" my bleeding piles; it was a steaming pile of makes-no-sense-whatever. And that's just the science part of it; the character motivations are obscure-to-ridiculous. A total waste of Sean Connery.

Haven't seen most of the others mentioned.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.