Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Went to No Time To Die last night.

5/5 Without spoiling anything, I thought a) it was overlong and dragged in places b) Rami Valek wasn't an impressive villain at all.c) It was an emo Bond movie
    Interesting, I did not think it dragged at all. In fact since it is almost 3 hours long I was surprised at how fast it all seemed to go by. Rami will probably not rank up with classic bond bad guys, but I thought he did a decent job. I kind of get the emo comment, but I loved the film.

There's a lot of Bond lists floating around the Net right now. I do like that the ones regarding which theme song is the best, most prefer Sir Paul's contribution or at least give it second place.

I still haven't seen Spectre. I need to see that before I can watch No Time to Die.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a lot of Bond lists floating around the Net right now. I do like that the ones regarding which theme song is the best, most prefer Sir Paul's contribution or at least give it second place.

I still haven't seen Spectre. I need to see that before I can watch No Time to Die.
    Some people have problems with Billie Eilish's theme for "No Time To Die" but I quite liked it. "Live & Let Die" is still the best one though.

I always liked Alice Cooper's "Man With The Golden Gun" that unfortunately never got used for the film, but it is a cool song.

The Guilty. A Netflix movie directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, The Magnificent Seven, et al), written by Nic Pizzolatto (The Killing and HBO's True Detective), and stars Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal plays a cop who's doing desk duty at the comms center of the LAPD taking 911 calls. Pretty good movie but the best reason to watch it is Gyllenhaal's performance. I expect he'll be nominated for something.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Guilty. A Netflix movie directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, The Magnificent Seven, et al), written by Nic Pizzolatto (The Killing and HBO's True Detective), and stars Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal plays a cop who's doing desk duty at the comms center of the LAPD taking 911 calls. Pretty good movie but the best reason to watch it is Gyllenhaal's performance. I expect he'll be nominated for something.
    I haven't seen this yet but think it is an English-language remake of an excellent 2018 Danish film called Den Skyldige. The Danish film is well worth watching and I think is available on Prime or Netflix. Jake Gyllenhaal is always excellent so I am glad you report this remake is good too.
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought the Guilty was well done too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Promising Young Woman (2020) last night. A woman seeks vengeance for a crime against her best friend. Carey Mulligan is excellent as the crafty lead. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    But you gave it a 5 out of 5?
    oops, I meant 5/10
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I haven't seen this yet but think it is an English-language remake of an excellent 2018 Danish film called Den Skyldige. The Danish film is well worth watching and I think is available on Prime or Netflix. Jake Gyllenhaal is always excellent so I am glad you report this remake is good too.
    Yep, it mentioned the Danish movie in the credits. I didn't recognize the title but when I looked it up, just now, on Prime, I think I may have seen it.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

We're going through some of our favorite spooky movies. I think Sleepy Hollow is Johnny Depp's best work. This was one case where Tim Burton's affectations and style really, really worked. And I like the twisted plot mixing with the supernatural. We watched The Others last night. Despite seeing it before and knowing the big twist, it's still mesmerizing to watch Kidman's slow burn madness.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We're going through some of our favorite spooky movies. I think Sleepy Hollow is Johnny Depp's best work. This was one case where Tim Burton's affectations and style really, really worked. And I like the twisted plot mixing with the supernatural. We watched The Others last night. Despite seeing it before and knowing the big twist, it's still mesmerizing to watch Kidman's slow burn madness.
    Agree with both movies. Depp is great in "Hollow" and "The Others" still holds up well.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Antebellum last night. I had gotten the impression it was a horror film somehow, and, in a way, it is. Appears to be about slavery during Civil War days in the South. It's more than that. Worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    We watched Antebellum last night. I had gotten the impression it was a horror film somehow, and, in a way, it is. Appears to be about slavery during Civil War days in the South. It's more than that. Worth checking out.
    That is one I have been curious about. Will have to watch it.

The Forgotten Battle just was released on NF today. Really excellent WWII film based on true story involving Operation Market Garden and resistance fighters in Holland. Dutch film, with a definite Christopher Nolan vibe at times. Great acting and nice detail in uniforms, firearms, villages, etc.

Watched, I Can See You - A thriller about a well to do family in challenging living conditions. It's not stellar but the thrill side of things is well done. Helen Hunt is the lead female role. It's on Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Watched, I Can See You - A thriller about a well to do family in challenging living conditions. It's not stellar but the thrill side of things is well done. Helen Hunt is the lead female role. It's on Amazon Prime.
    Doesn't Hunt look like she has had some bad plastic surgery on her face in this film?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Doesn't Hunt look like she has had some bad plastic surgery on her face in this film?
    Lou, I don't get middle aged female leads, she looks like a worn out piece of leather!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Lou, I don't get middle aged female leads, she looks like a worn out piece of leather!
    Skeletor is how my wife described her a couple of years ago when we watched the (very good) WWII series World On Fire. It's distracting to see such a modern 'look' in a period piece too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Skeletor is how my wife described her a couple of years ago when we watched the (very good) WWII series World On Fire. It's distracting to see such a modern 'look' in a period piece too.
    Skeletor is good. Such a shame. She used to be so hot! I bet her naturally aging face would have been fine.
    Mozo, it's not as bad as the leather on my very old loveseat.

Skeletor is good. Such a shame. She used to be so hot! I bet her naturally aging face would have been fine.
    She never stood out to me, but I will always take natural aging over... well, that.

Tonight I watched two horror movies in a row, both with the same villain, Art The Clown. Started off a bit eye-rolling, but strangely I couldn't look away! First one was All Hallow's Eve, sequel (kind of) was Terrifier. Both very gory, especially Terrifier. If you grew up on 80s slasher flicks like I did, you might want to check these out, the clown is incredibly creepy. I read a review that said 'Makes Pennywise look like Krusty!'
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

She never stood out to me, but I will always take natural aging over... well, that.

Tonight I watched two horror movies in a row, both with the same villain, Art The Clown. Started off a bit eye-rolling, but strangely I couldn't look away! First one was All Hallow's Eve, sequel (kind of) was Terrifier. Both very gory, especially Terrifier. If you grew up on 80s slasher flicks like I did, you might want to check these out, the clown is incredibly creepy. I read a review that said 'Makes Pennywise look like Krusty!'
    Terrifier was quite enjoyable. Didn't see the other. I'll have to remedy this soon.

"very gory" is an understatement Especially with Terrifier...I mean, that handsaw scene??!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Terrifier was quite enjoyable. Didn't see the other. I'll have to remedy this soon.
    All Hallow's Eve was the first one, it actually incorporates three short films the director made earlier, by the main character seeing them on an old videotape someone puts in the Halloween bag brought home by one of the kids she's babysitting (I know, who babysits on Halloween?) Anyway, this one starts off a bit hokey but really picks up in the second half, and I had to see more, hence watching Terrifier right after.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    "very gory" is an understatement Especially with Terrifier...I mean, that handsaw scene??!!
    Yeah, I was surprised they went there! But the horror lover in me was smiling nonetheless. I swear, I'm not twisted in real life!

I watched The Guilty, pretty good. Gyllenhaal in the past has usually picked good roles.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) I'd bits and pieces of it, and do a search you can find it free over at YT. I was curious how the others ranked, and you can find a list here.

Here's just a small handful of must watches in my household this time of year...

Pumpkinhead
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    The Beyond
    City of the Living Dead
    Trick R Treat
    Halloween 3 (yep...as a standalone, I think this one is a ton of fun)
    Creepshow 1 & 2
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak