Page 246 of 397 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

A Quiet Place(s).

Totally awesome. Almost no dialogue. Love the sound effects, or lack of. So very suspenseful. The kids are so good in these, so full of expression.

Acting without dialogue is the pinnacle of the art, IMO. Pulling these off, brilliant. I don't get, though, what the boy was looking at that made him leave. I saw vodka and I'm kinda sure that wasn't his motivation.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The worst M. Night Shyamalan twist had to be The Village. I really wanted my money and time back after seeing that one.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    A Quiet Place(s).

Totally awesome. Almost no dialogue. Love the sound effects, or lack of. So very suspenseful. The kids are so good in these, so full of expression.

Acting without dialogue is the pinnacle of the art, IMO. Pulling these off, brilliant. I don't get, though, what the boy was looking at that made him leave. I saw vodka and I'm kinda sure that wasn't his motivation.
    I actually thought Quiet Place II was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The worst M. Night Shyamalan twist had to be The Village. I really wanted my money and time back after seeing that one.
    I seem to like The Village better than most. I didn't think it was that bad of a film, but I know a lot of people hate it.

I had a similar reaction to The Village that Jerjo did.

My problem with the movie was that the twist kinda undercut the movie and made the whole thing feel moot. Otoh, one could see it as an allegory, making it a warning to the dangers of cults or other insular groups or a close-minded mindset. But that wasn't my initial reaction.

Whenever the topic of Shyamalan or one of his movies comes up, I can't help but think of Robot Chicken lampooning him. "What a twist!"

Say what you will about the guy, his wife and daughters are pretty hot.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Since we are on the subject of Shyamalan twists here is a good video. Warning, spoilers for some of his older films if you have not seen them.

^ You might want to post just the link, Steve, since the preview image of that video is a spoiler itself.

BTW, I watched that same video the other day but opted not to post it because of the spoilers, especially since I don't think many people here have seen Devil, a movie I recommended a few years ago.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    ^ You might want to post just the link, Steve, since the preview image of that video is a spoiler itself.

BTW, I watched that same video the other day but opted not to post it because of the spoilers, especially since I don't think many people here have seen Devil, a movie I recommended a few years ago.
    Mmmm.........that is the one film in the video that I have not seen, so I just skipped over that part. Since I have not seen the film, I have no clue what the spoiler might be looking at the image.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Shyamalon’s movie “The Girl in the Water” or whatever it’s called, is one of the worst movies I’ve seen. IMO, The Village is a masterpiece compared to it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I seem to like The Village better than most. I didn't think it was that bad of a film, but I know a lot of people hate it.
    I, too, quite liked it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Shyamalon’s movie “The Girl in the Water” or whatever it’s called, is one of the worst movies I’ve seen. IMO, The Village is a masterpiece compared to it!
    Agree, the worst movie he has made IMO.

Watched the original Papillon last night. A movie i had never seen.

It was good but I was not knocked out by it. Great performances from McQueen and Hoffman. It's pretty grim and quite long. I can see that Shawshank Redemption may have been influenced by it somewhat.

I guess it might have had more impact if I had seen it back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

It was good but I was not knocked out by it. Great performances from McQueen and Hoffman. It's pretty grim and quite long. I can see that Shawshank Redemption may have been influenced by it somewhat.

McQuuen was the first actor to reach the 1 million dollar payday for that film. I saw it in a theater upon its release. Powerful movie , but long. totally true story , I read the autobiography which it was based on. Triumph of the human spirit over opression. Spectacular scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

Great film for it's time. I happened to catch the last 45 minutes or so of it randomly on TV a few weeks ago. Had not seen it in years, but thought it held up pretty well.

I liked The Village. I wouldn't give it any awards or anything, but it was a decent watch.

My least favorite Shyamalan film is Signs. I thought the ending was just awful and looked very amateurish. Though, I've never seen The Lady in the Water, so that might be his worst.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I liked The Village. I wouldn't give it any awards or anything, but it was a decent watch.

My least favorite Shyamalan film is Signs. I thought the ending was just awful and looked very amateurish. Though, I've never seen The Lady in the Water, so that might be his worst.
    There was one of his films that I saw a long time ago that was filmed in my general area. I think it was signs but I'm not 100 percent sure. Anyway, I remember not liking it. M Night Shyamalan's movies are hit and miss for me. I saw one called Split a few years ago in the theater which was pretty good but not on the same level as "the sixth sense"(then again how many movies in the suspense genre are).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did Signs have a twist ending? I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did Signs have a twist ending? I forget.
    Sort of. Water to the aliens is like hydrochloric acid to us. I don't know if it's necessary to hide that but, just in case someone hasn't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for them.

RE: Signs twist. Why would aliens come to a planet were 70% was their kryptonite?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Why would aliens capable of reaching another planet chose to go to a planet with so many idiots?

We watched Kong vs. Godzilla last night. Not as bad as we expected it might be. But still...

The latest Amazon original movie is quite good!

Jolt

Kate Beckinsale is a woman with massive impulse control and anger management issues. To keep from hurting others, her therapist designed a vest full of
    electrodes that she wears. When a violent thought starts to take action, she depresses a button that causes the vest to "jolt" her. Which has been pretty
    successful. Events soon happen that spin her life radically. Will the vest still be enough to stop her? Watch and find out! A fun action packed film.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

RE: Signs twist. Why would aliens come to a planet were 70% was their kryptonite?

You know what has NO twist? That piece o' crap called The Happening. It just...ends.

People start to walk backwards...the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Sort of. Water to the aliens is like hydrochloric acid to us. I don't know if it's necessary to hide that but, just in case someone hasn't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for them.
    You know which SF movie handled that aspect way better? Alien Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You know which SF movie handled that aspect way better? Alien Nation.
    Alien Nation was awesome and the TV series wasn't bad either