Page 244 of 394 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254294344 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

We had a comedy-horror double feature Friday night.

First up was Cast a Deadly Spell (1991), with David Warner, Julianne Moore, and nobody else I've ever heard of. It's noir-ish, and the comedy mostly comes from the hero's wisecracks. A Lovecraftian tale of betrayals, triple-crosses, and weird monsters. Quite enjoyed it.

Second was Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), which was better than I expected, largely because of Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney as Dracula and Larry "Werewolf" Talbot (respectively). Also Glenn Strange as Frankenstein's monster and Vincent Price, who doesn't make an appearance till the end, if that. What makes it work is that the monsters are taken reasonably seriously and not played for cheap laughs - that's left to Bud and Lou. (Who do not play their ordinary self-named characters but a couple of guys who have to hand-deliver certain packages to a House of Horrors.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

For some unknown reason, I had never seen any on the Resident Evil or Underworld movies. Probably was burnt out on the whole zombie and vampire craze.
    Saw the first three Resident Evil films, and the first four Underworld films over the past couple weeks. I'm curious as to which franchise you guys prefer.

Also, who is the hotter female lead? Milla? Or Kate?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    For some unknown reason, I had never seen any on the Resident Evil or Underworld movies. Probably was burnt out on the whole zombie and vampire craze.
    Saw the first three Resident Evil films, and the first four Underworld films over the past couple weeks. I'm curious as to which franchise you guys prefer.

Milla.

I like Resident Evil. Tight film. The sequels get more and more iffy.

I have no use for the Underworld saga. Just don't care for it. And I'm a horror guy.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Milla.

I like Resident Evil. Tight film. The sequels get more and more iffy.

I have no use for the Underworld saga. Just don't care for it. And I'm a horror guy.
    Milla.

The first Underworld was excellent!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-12-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Milla.

And I agree with dropforge on the other points too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I have yet to see it. Hopefully soon.
    This one that I would say is better in a theater environment. We saw it in IMAX and the sound (and lack thereof) are a great enhancement to the film.

I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix. It was very entertaining. As I suspected, aimed a bit at teens but the action was intense, especially the climatic battle. Millie Bobby Brown was very good but it was weird hearing her natural accent. I thought Henry Cavill made a very good Sherlock even though he's a bit buff for the detective.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Just ran across this list of 200 best horror films. I love me a good horror film, and will often settle for a bad one. Still beats television.
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...s-of-all-time/
    I've seen over half the movies on that list and I think it's a joke. First, because there's no rhyme or reason to how they ranked the movies. You'd think they'd go by their own score. So how does a movie that scored a 91% get ranked higher than a movie that scored a 98%?

Second, based on their own criteria, each movie "had to have at least 20 reviews with a Fresh rating". So why was The Haunting, which meets the criteria, left off the list? Indeed, based on their own rating and their inexplicable ranking system, it should have been somewhere around #150... which is way too low, imo.

Third, I just recently saw Phantasm for the first time and thought it was a pretty crappy movie.

Last, how TF is The Night of the Hunter even on the list? That's one of my top 10 movies and I would have never considered putting it on a list of horror movies. The same for Eraserhead.

FWIW, here's a list of "newer" horror movies I'd see again. Some I'm sure everyone's seen but there might be some you haven't and you ought to check them out:

Breakdown - 1997 (this might be more of a thriller than horror)
    Ringu - 1998
    Audition - 1999
    The Blair Witch Project - 1999
    The Others - 2001
    The Ring - 2002 (the American remake of Ringu)
    28 Days Later - 2003
    Open Water - 2004
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose - 2005
    The Omen - 2006
    [Rec] - 2007
    28 Weeks Later - 2007 (I recall liking this better than 28 Days)
    Quarantine - 2008 (the American remake of [Rec])
    Cloverfield - 2008
    Drag Me to Hell - 2009
    The House of the Devil - 2009 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Paranormal Activity - 2009
    Zombieland - 2009 (my pick for best zombie movie)
    The Cabin in the Woods - 2012 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Sinister - 2012
    The Babadook - 2014
    It Follows - 2015
    I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 2016 (this is a quiet, slow, and strange movie)
    The Conjuring 2 - 2016
    Don't Breathe - 2016 (this might be more of a thriller than horror)
    The Invitation - 2016
    The VVitch - 2016
    The Devil's Candy - 2017
    Gerald's Game - 2017 (much much better than I expected)
    It Comes At Night - 2017 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Hereditary - 2018
    A Quiet Place - 2018
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Re: ^

Cloverfield is pretty forgettable. I grew up with kaiju and that movie's about the same to me as the '98 not-Godzilla movie.

The Cabin in the Woods was a failed experiment. Good intentions, but the execution was very flawed.

It Follows is an excellent film. Probably the best in that entire list.

P.S. Yes, Breakdown is a suspense thriller.

Cloverfield is pretty forgettable.
    I completely disagree. I think it's vastly superior to any Godzilla movie ever made, especially the guy-in-a-rubber-suit-stomping-on-models movies.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    I've seen over half the movies on that list and I think it's a joke. First, because there's no rhyme or reason to how they ranked the movies. You'd think they'd go by their own score. So how does a movie that scored a 91% get ranked higher than a movie that scored a 98%?

Second, based on their own criteria, each movie "had to have at least 20 reviews with a Fresh rating". So why was The Haunting, which meets the criteria, left off the list? Indeed, based on their own rating and their inexplicable ranking system, it should have been somewhere around #150... which is way too low, imo.
    I was looking up something else and ran across the list. I seem to have accumulated a lot of B horror movies, so I thought I'd share the list, even though there is a lot I don't agree with. I didn't look into how they compiled the list. I don't even know what a "Fresh" rating is. I usually look at imdb first for movie reviews and info, that site being better organized for my mind to follow than is RT, but all movie review sites have their flaws.

Your list of horror movies you'd see again looks more useful. I've seen more than half the movies on it, but will gladly see the ones I've missed based on your recommendation. I personally never understood the high raking of Babadook on any list. It didn't scare me when I saw it. But, to each his own. Even lame horror movies are preferable to, and a lot less scary than, politics these days. At least in Dead Snow and Dead Snow 2 (both of which I recommend), the nazi zombies are hated as evil, as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I completely disagree. I think it's vastly superior to any Godzilla movie ever made, especially the guy-in-a-rubber-suit-stomping-on-models movies.
    And I completely disagree with you there.

Watch the 2016 standalone (meaning it's not part of any continuity Toho previously set up, for there are multiple) film Shin Godzilla (the one they made after Gareth Edwards' 2014 film, which I also like) and get back to me. SG is crazy good.

Cloverfield tried to invoke a less-is-more angle, but it was only partly successful. And you have to believe a big thing is stomping through a metro and doing far less damage to the infrastructure than it should-would (while parties are happening).

"Guy in the rubber suit..."
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The term is suitmation.

Breakdown - 1997 (this might be more of a thriller than horror)
    Ringu - 1998
    Audition - 1999
    The Blair Witch Project - 1999
    The Others - 2001
    The Ring - 2002 (the American remake of Ringu)
    28 Days Later - 2003
    Open Water - 2004
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose - 2005
    The Omen - 2006
    [Rec] - 2007
    28 Weeks Later - 2007 (I recall liking this better than 28 Days)
    Quarantine - 2008 (the American remake of [Rec])
    Cloverfield - 2008
    Drag Me to Hell - 2009
    The House of the Devil - 2009 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Paranormal Activity - 2009
    Zombieland - 2009 (my pick for best zombie movie)
    The Cabin in the Woods - 2012 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Sinister - 2012
    The Babadook - 2014
    It Follows - 2015
    I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 2016 (this is a quiet, slow, and strange movie)
    The Conjuring 2 - 2016
    Don't Breathe - 2016 (this might be more of a thriller than horror)
    The Invitation - 2016
    The VVitch - 2016
    The Devil's Candy - 2017
    Gerald's Game - 2017 (much much better than I expected)
    It Comes At Night - 2017 (I liked this up to a point but can't remember my overall impression)
    Hereditary - 2018
    A Quiet Place - 2018
    It Follows and Hereditary are the top two from that list, followed by 28 days Later and Sinister imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Your list of horror movies you'd see again looks more useful. I've seen more than half the movies on it, but will gladly see the ones I've missed based on your recommendation.
    I could have listed more of the older movies but figured everyone's probably seen those. Two supposed standouts in the genre I haven't seen yet are The Innocents and The Devil's Backbone. I haven't had the opportunity to see the former. I started the latter, once, but it had such a slow beginning I gave up. I was also tired.

One movie I listed I expect to be divisive is I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House. I'd recommend it but, honestly, I'm still not sure what to think of it. It's so different.

Two on RT's list I think are grossly overrated are Midsommar and The Light House. Didn't care for either.

As for some of the newer ones I didn't list, it was due either to me liking it but not seeing it as horror (or seeing it as quasi-horror) or liking it only to a point and then feeling the ending didn't live up to the first two acts.

Some I'd recommend but don't really see as horror:
    Shadow of the Vampire (actually, I found this more intriguing than good; and if it was supposed to be horror, it failed)
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Tremors
    Shaun of the Dead
    Aliens
    Silence of the Lambs
    Don't Breathe (I listed it before but I don't think of it as horror; plus I just wanted to list it again because I think it's a really good movie)

Some that weren't on the list that should have been:
    The Ninth Gate (more of a mystery than horror; I found it pretty compelling, tho)
    Devil (2010)
    Session 9
    Identity
    (there's another newer one I thought of but the title wouldn't come to me)

Some I liked to a point but felt the ending let it down; obviously, ymmv:
    Frailty (didn't feel like horror to me, tho)
    Lights Out
    You're Next
    The Descent

I personally never understood the high ranking of Babadook on any list. It didn't scare me when I saw it.
    I recall it gave me chills a couple times. I also thought it was kind of original. But I get why people might not like it.

What I've never understood is the high ranking for Rosemary's Baby. Forget about the horror, I don't even think it's that good of a movie. And I've seen it three times. I think Roman Polanski dropped the ball. Maybe I should read the book.

Jay Sebring...Cutting To The Truth is a doc about Jay Sebring. I didn't know who he was, but was quickly interested when I found out he was a hair stylist to many movie stars and movers & shakers in Hollywood back in the 60s. I goes a bit into his early life and background, and then how he got started. One of the unfortunate things about his life is that he was murdered along with Sharon Tate and others by the Mason family. I saw it free off Youtube with ads. Worth a watch if that era interest you.

I got around to watch Nomadland last night (Netflix disc). I figured I would enjoy it and I did. I found it moving, atmospheric, sad, and absorbing. McDormand continues to get to the heart and spirit of her characters, and make them her own. I'm still digesting parts of it particularly the ending because it didn't seem to have a tight ending, but more or less an afterthought or life goes on type ending, which is more than fine with me.

We watched Trains, Planes & Automobiles last night. My wife hadn't seen it. It's still really really funny and sentimentally touching. I miss John Candy.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-15-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Cloverfield tried to invoke a less-is-more angle, but it was only partly successful. And you have to believe a big thing is stomping through a metro and doing far less damage to the infrastructure than it should-would (while parties are happening).
    There was a party in the beginning to set up the madness, parasites racing through the streets and subways killing people and there was plenty of destruction! Tha hell are you talking about? I thought this movie was awesome.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Hotter for me would definitely be Kate...and Milla I much prefer Resident Evil. The first one was killer...and Milla is awesome in it. They go downhill after that though. The first Underworld was kinda cool, but I don't really care for the whole vampire/werewolf war thing.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I don't really care for the whole vampire/werewolf war thing.
    If vampires & werewolves can't get along, who the hell can?

There was a party in the beginning to set up the madness, parasites racing through the streets and subways killing people and there was plenty of destruction! Tha hell are you talking about? I thought this movie was awesome.
    Watch Shin Godzilla.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Right??!! I was scratching my head at that comment as well.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I thought this movie was awesome.
    You and me, both.