Page 242 of 397 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292342 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Millennium (1989) last night. Was sure I must have seen it before, but I don't think I had. A time travel/plane crash movie starring Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd. Not bad. Certainly better than I expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Millennium (1989) last night. Was sure I must have seen it before, but I don't think I had. A time travel/plane crash movie starring Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd. Not bad. Certainly better than I expected it to be.
    Based on the John Varley novel, right? I need to watch that sometime.

Do I love Roku and Pluto TV!

Monday night's double feature on Pluto's Crime channel:

The Mechanic (1972) — starring Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent (one of my favorite films).

The Killer Elite (1975) — starring James Caan and Robert Duvall, and a few other great actors, like Burt Young!

Cable doesn't have sh*t on Roku.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Based on the John Varley novel, right? I need to watch that sometime.
    More accurately, it's Varley's novelization of a movie based on his short story titled (I think) "Air Raid".
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sopranos prequel trailer is up! This must be a first, with a son playing the role his late father famously played. Loving the younger version of Livia too, she looks and sounds just like her! Excited.

I will see this in the theater when it comes out. Terrific cast along with Gandolfini as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    :

Have you seen Summer of '84? I watched this again a few nights ago. Starts off kind of an eerily playful, teenager crime solving tale (Stand By Me/Stranger Things vibe), but the last 1/3 dude? This thing goes dark! Gloriously so! Very well done, all the acting is great and just a killer, ballsy last third. Check it out if ya haven't yet.
    Caught this the other night. I was starting to get bored with it and was reaching for the remote, then I remembered your review. So I stuck it out and it did reward me.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    More accurately, it's Varley's novelization of a movie based on his short story titled (I think) "Air Raid".
    I've caught no mention of either (story/book or film) since...'89! And I scan many a blog, too.

For the first time in over a year, we went to a movie theater last night. It was cooler in there than in our home. We saw Nobody starring Bob Odenkirk. Great fun for those who like over the top movie violence with a bit of humor. Only a handful of other people taking advantage of summer weeknight theater. My only complaint was the movie volume blasted my eardrums out.

My only complaint was the movie volume blasted my eardrums out.
    Should've asked them to turn it down. The volume is usually set for a sold out theater but when there aren't many people, it will be too loud. They should be happy to change the volume for you. I know at my first job when I worked at a theater, we had a couple of marks on the volume knob. One for a large crowd and one for a small one. We usually didn't bother with it, however, unless someone said something. The other problem can be that the volume for one movie may be greater than for another. Adjustments need to be made and that should be done during the first showing, when the movie premieres at your theater.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Mechanic (1972) — starring Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent (one of my favorite films).

I saw one last night called Defiance with Jan Michael Vincent on YT. It was a good copy, but now I can find it, so I don't know if it got taken down or what, but it was similar to say a Bronson film with Vincent fighting gangs in the Bronx in the 80s. Here's a copy and watchable, but not the one I saw idt. Nice looking actress, co-star in it.

For the first time in over a year, we went to a movie theater last night. It was cooler in there than in our home. We saw Nobody starring Bob Odenkirk. Great fun for those who like over the top movie violence with a bit of humor. Only a handful of other people taking advantage of summer weeknight theater. My only complaint was the movie volume blasted my eardrums out.
    Saw that in a theater a while ago. Agree, it was a fun movie.

Yeah. I loved this movie. Fun and funny as hell.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Watched No Sudden Move on HBOMax , simutanious theater release. A load of stars , Ray Liotta , Don Chedeal , Benicio Del Torro , Brenden Fraizer , and more. Period piece , 1954 Detriot. Crime melodrama , lots of twists. High production values , great look , an adult film with adult rewards . Very much recomended.

Last night we watched Play Misty For Me, in remembrance of Jessica Walter, who died in March 2021.

Play Misty For Me, in remembrance of Jessica Walter, who died in March 2021.

I didn't know she'd died. I always liked her in roles and thought she was attractive. She played in a lot of roles on network TV as well like Mannix, etc.

I watched a BBC made for TV movie off Youtube called Rogue Male with Peter O'Toole in the starring role. About a Brit trying to assassinate Hitler before they got involved in the war. It's a remake from Fritz Lang's film, Man Hunt, which I'd like to see as well, and probably the more believable of the two.

Last night we watched Play Misty For Me, in remembrance of Jessica Walter, who died in March 2021.
    Clints directorial debut.

You can see PMFM on the marquee in Dirty Harry during Harry's hot dog scene.

Jessica was fantastic in Misty..., rest easy
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Watching a documentary on Alfred Hitchcock, "I Am Hitchcock". I really need to find a way to explore his long directing career as opposed to the hits only.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Jessica Walter,
    She was fantastic on Archer. I loved the gag where she suggests that Sterling's father might have been "that jazz drummer...Gene Krupa. No, wait, it was the one with the nose. Buddy Rich!"

We watched Peanut Butter Falcon this weekend. A little swearing, but otherwise a nice family film. Shia LaBoeuf is a bit of a whack-a-doo, but he's a talented actor. The story centers on Zak, a young man with Down Syndrome, who escapes from the home where he was placed by the state, and meets up with LaBoeuf's character, who is on the run after stealing crabs from a rival's traps. The two go on a Mark Twain-like adventure while being chased by LaBoeuf's rival and Zak's caretaker. Zak is pursuing his dream of finding the pro wrestling school and becoming a professional wrestler. It's cute, it's funny, and heartwarming.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I watched Parrotheads this weekend on Prime. It explored the history and activities of the phenomenon through the eyes of many of the key characters, as well as touching on Trop-Rock bands that have formed in Jimmy's wake. It's more about the fans than about JB, and celebrates the escapism and good heartedness that is at the heart of the Parrothead ethos. Definitely recommended if you are a fan.

If you like zombie horror, then check out Black Summer on Netflix.

Unrelenting action & suspense in an all dark zombie apocalypse.

This series is all business, no emo soapy stuff like The Walking Dead.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I watched Parrotheads this weekend on Prime. It explored the history and activities of the phenomenon through the eyes of many of the key characters, as well as touching on Trop-Rock bands that have formed in Jimmy's wake. It's more about the fans than about JB, and celebrates the escapism and good heartedness that is at the heart of the Parrothead ethos. Definitely recommended if you are a fan.
    I saw that a few years ago. Being a bit of a Parrothead myself I thought it was pretty interesting. Although Jimmy has a laid back image, he is a very shrewd businessman who has built an empire by working hard. The Parrothead think kind of popped up on it's own which is an interesting thing simliar to deadheads.

Just ran across this list of 200 best horror films. I love me a good horror film, and will often settle for a bad one. Still beats television.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...s-of-all-time/

^^ The Exorcist at #124?!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^ The Exorcist at #124?!
    That tells me that the people polled or those combining the list are probably more of the 18 to 30 range.

As much as I, as someone old enough to have seen The Exorcist when it first came out, may think its a classic and the scariest movie I have ever seen, I also realise that it probably looks old fashioned, slow and crude to a modern audience.

You have the added problem of people's expectations being too high, because its often given that 'scariest ever made' tag, and no movie can live up to such praise. Especially modern audiences weened on CGI gore fests.