Page 23 of 397 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Supposedley...but since time is a man made construct anyway even thats debatable.
    As Master Chun says in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, "Time is a confidence scam invented by the Swiss".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As Master Chun says in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, "Time is a confidence scam invented by the Swiss".
    Or even..."Time...is the fire...in which we buuurrrnnn!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Still waiting to make the time for that one, it's on the DVR. I think because I recently watched this exact story in the series Trust (with Donald Sutherland as Getty), I've been focusing on other things. Plummer is always outstanding, so I am looking forward to it once I get to it!
    I didn't see Trust - how was it? Yes, Christopher Plummer's role was excellent. He played a ruthless Getty very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I didn't see Trust - how was it? Yes, Christopher Plummer's role was excellent. He played a ruthless Getty very effectively.
    It was very well done. Hillary Swank was very good, and as a one-season series, it played out at a good pace. I'm interested to compare it to the Plummer film...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It was very well done. Hillary Swank was very good, and as a one-season series, it played out at a good pace. I'm interested to compare it to the Plummer film...
    I'll have to check it out. For me, Michelle Williams was the stand out actor in the movie but Plummer was still excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    In 1998, they made a version with Anne Heche. I never saw it, but it's my understanding that they simply did a scene-by-scene remake for the sake of appealing to audiences who refuse to watch B&W movies.
    It was supposedly a shot-by-shot remake but that it isn't entirely accurate, altho, it's pretty damn close. Consequently, I thought it was totally pointless. Had Gus Van Sant simply remade it I wouldn't have had the same reaction (probably). As it is, Van Sant may have seen it as an homage but I saw it as a pale imitation.

Still, I thought it was very well cast. Anne Heche is nice psuedo-doppelganger of Janet Leigh and Vince Vaughn was a very effective Norman Bates, believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Let's shimmy on over to post-apocalyptic shall we? Great! So I found a hidden gem on Netflix starring Guy Pearce and I thought it was great! It's called The Rover.
    What is the scenery like? Was it shot in the Outback?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What is the scenery like? Was it shot in the Outback?
    Yes it was. The scenery is great, dreary nothingness. makes you feel like you are in a wasteland. It was shot so well even the people with how dirty the were made me feel dirty. I felt like swatting the flies!

Again though...it's violent at times, but is a real slow mover. I was glued.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Let's shimmy on over to post-apocalyptic shall we? Great! So I found a hidden gem on Netflix starring Guy Pearce and I thought it was great! It's called The Rover This is slow, dreary movie so it won't be everyone's cup o tea, but man was I captured. it's set in Australia 10 years after economic collapse. Some dude gets a drink at a bar and gets his car stolen by 3 other dudes and the dude in the bar whos car got stolen spends the rest of the movie going after the 3 dudes who stole his car Clearly I'm not the best movie reviewer, but if you like some great, dreary scenery, awesome acting by Pearce and the Robert Pattinson (Twilight) and a slow, dirty, uneasy ride...check it out! I thought it was well done and I really liked the ending.

I think this would satisfy the nosebone's and Lou's in here.
    Puttin this her again in case it was missed. I'm curious as to wether I'm nuts or not for liking it so much probably...

If you enjoyed The Rover you'd probably enjoy Cargo. It's filmed in Australia too.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    If you enjoyed The Rover you'd probably enjoy Cargo. It's filmed in Australia too.
    Yes, that's the one with the guy trying to keep a baby safe post-apocalypse? I believe I put that on Netflix list. Thanks!

This looks interesting...

This looks interesting...

I thought so too. Ben Kingsley has now played Ghandi and Adolf Eichmann. Now that's range.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I thought so too. Ben Kingsley has now played Ghandi and Adolf Eichmann. Now that's range.
    He's also played the Vice President in a screwball Hollywood comedy about the President's doppelganger.

Puttin this her again in case it was missed. I'm curious as to wether I'm nuts or not for liking it so much probably...
    Thanks for the heads up. I will add it to my queue.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

You guys were talking about Streisand. TCM is featuring several of her movies next Friday 8/17
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Whao! And Peter Lorre the following Friday (8/24), including "M" at 8:00 pm!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I can' tremember if it's tomorrow or Friday night, but they're running a Walter Matheau marathon too. I forget what all the pictures they're showing, but I saw Charley Varrick listed (the Rory Gallagher song Last Of The Independents was reputedly inspired by that movie, I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Whao! And Peter Lorre the following Friday (8/24), including "M" at 8:00 pm!
    "You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime."

(From perhaps the greatest single of the 70s.)

I can' tremember if it's tomorrow or Friday night, but they're running a Walter Matheau marathon too. I forget what all the pictures they're showing, but I saw Charley Varrick listed (the Rory Gallagher song Last Of The Independents was reputedly inspired by that movie, I believe).
    Yes it is, including "Fail Safe" at 4:00.

And "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" is going to be run also. "Oh, come on. If I've got to watch my language just because they let a few broads in, I'm going to quit. How the hell can you run a goddamn railroad without swearing?" It's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime."

(From perhaps the greatest single of the 70s.)
    Year Of The Cat ?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Year Of The Cat ?
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yes, I'm going to check this out when it's released. Ben Kingsley is one of the finest actors in the history of movies, with such a long and stellar career. I enjoyed Ghandi but I particularly enjoy how well he embodies evil. His role in Sexy Beast is a good example of conveying pure evil. Again, repeated in Lucky Number Slevin. I'm sure I'm missing other stellar performances when Ben plays the bad guy. His acting abilities are so widely regarded in the industry and well deserved (he's won every award that is possible).

Yes, I'm going to check this out when it's released. Ben Kingsley is one of the finest actors in the history of movies, with such a long and stellar career. I enjoyed Ghandi but I particularly enjoy how well he embodies evil. His role in Sexy Beast is a good example of conveying pure evil. Again, repeated in Lucky Number Slevin. I'm sure I'm missing other stellar performances when Ben plays the bad guy. His acting abilities are so widely regarded in the industry and well deserved.
    He was excellent in House Of Sand And Fog too. He's one of those actors who everyone seems to agree is excellent, but rarely seems to be mentioned when people rattle off their favourites. I wonder why that is (I'm guilty of it as well, I think he's outstanding)... Gene Hackman is another IMO. I've also enjoyed the acting of his son Ferdinand Kingsley in the British series Victoria and The Hollow Crown.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

He's also played the Vice President in a screwball Hollywood comedy about the President's doppelganger.
    That would be Dave, starring Kevin Kline. '93 if I recall correctly.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.