Page 238 of 397 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248288338 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm up to episode 5 now, I think. Good show. Very riveting.
    We're enjoying it too! Very stylized. We're on episode 8, hold on your hat.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watched "Army Of The Dead" on Netflix the other night. It is kind of a combination Zombie / Heist movie and a different take on the genre. There were some plot holes but I enjoyed it for the most part.

That's on my watch list and I was going to watch it last night until I saw how long it was (2˝ hours!).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Infinitely rewatchable for me:
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Labyrinth
    Life of Brian
    The Princess Bride
    Up
    Coco
    Miracle on 34th St.
    (and to a lesser extent It's a Wonderful Life)
    The Wizard of Oz
    West Side Story
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
    Guys and Dolls
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That's on my watch list and I was going to watch it last night until I saw how long it was (2˝ hours!).
    Yes, it is a long one. I think they could have trimmed it a bit and it would not have lost anything.

North By Northwest - Really enjoyable classic flic. I'm going to have to explore more Hitchcock.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Girl with All the Gifts is another zombie film on HBO Max. It's a well worn genre for sure, but I enjoyed it for the most part as they didn't give away everything in the beginning and it slowly unfolded allowing the viewer to wonder what was going on. Sort of reminded me of George Romero and 28 Days Later. Not perfect, but pretty watchable.

The Outsider based on the Stephen King novel on HBO Max. It's pretty interesting about the murder of a young boy, the investigation and arrest of someone that may or may not be guilty of the crime and all the repercussions that ensues--I've only made it about midway thru but it's pretty well made.

Random Harvest--is a romance story and melodrama that chronicles the relationship between Greer Garson and Ronald Colman. He’s an amnesiac World War I veteran, she’s on the stage–a combination of song and comedy–and she’s his savior. They fall in love, but tragedy happens when Colman is hit by a car, and the amnesia from which he had suffered since the war is swept away. It's two hours long, and sometimes seems a little too long, but overall I think it's a good film particularly if you are looking for a nicely done b & w film that's sentimental and done well. cable

A Taste of Honey 1961 was a pretty good, yet obscure (to me) film, about a young pregnant teen growing up in industrialized England. The film is bittersweet in that her relationship with her mother is pretty contentious. She barely has any friends and she's pretty off putting, but I'm sure that's due to her lot in life. Her mother leaves her and remarries, leaving the girl to fend for herself with only a new gay friend for support. He is the one bright spot in her, otherwise dreary life. Worth a watch from HBO Max.

Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining written by S. King, and done pretty well. I'd probably say 4 stars.

Mrs. Miniver 1942--actually I had seen the later part of this film before, but didn't know what I was watching at the time. Set in Britain during 1939-41 and released in ‘42, this Best Picture Oscar®-winner was designed to encourage nations to join the Allied cause and to assure those already on board that they’d done the right thing. By focusing on a few fictional families who bravely bear the burden of their country being bombed by the Nazis, it “humanizes” Britain’s struggle and stirs deep emotions.
    Part of the film talks about social classes and their differences, and also there's another plot about winning a prize roses contest, their son and others entering the war effort, and also a romantic interest between their son and a local girl. All in all an entertaining movie, and worth a watch. Greer Garson won best actress.

Miss Potter stars Renee Zellweger & Ewan McGregor in a bio about the English children's author. Sort of an early feminist to a degree, but also pretty deeply into making her art. Overall the movie is light, witty, warm, cozy, and maybe too affected or sweet at times, but it didn't bother me. It also had great scenery, costumes, and pretty good script. I caught it off YT for free with commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    North By Northwest - Really enjoyable classic flic. I'm going to have to explore more Hitchcock.
    Yes you should. NBN is a glossy polished film . Many of Hitchcock's earlier material is easly as good but alot is Black and White , which is dismissed out of turn by many younger viewers. Don't make that mistake , much of his work whether BW or Color is not to be missed. Try Rear Window and To Catch A Thief for a similar NBN vibe/look as far as polish and lush color.
    Also if you liked NBN try Stanley Donan's Charade . Features Cary Grant at a similar point in his carreer playing a similar charactor. Very much like NBN .
    You are to be envied , having the first viewings of Hitch classics in front of you. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Girl with All the Gifts is another zombie film on HBO Max. It's a well worn genre for sure, but I enjoyed it for the most part as they didn't give away everything in the beginning and it slowly unfolded allowing the viewer to wonder what was going on. Sort of reminded me of George Romero and 28 Days Later. Not perfect, but pretty watchable.

The Outsider based on the Stephen King novel on HBO Max. It's pretty interesting about the murder of a young boy, the investigation and arrest of someone that may or may not be guilty of the crime and all the repercussions that ensues--I've only made it about midway thru but it's pretty well made.

Random Harvest--is a romance story and melodrama that chronicles the relationship between Greer Garson and Ronald Colman. He’s an amnesiac World War I veteran, she’s on the stage–a combination of song and comedy–and she’s his savior. They fall in love, but tragedy happens when Colman is hit by a car, and the amnesia from which he had suffered since the war is swept away. It's two hours long, and sometimes seems a little too long, but overall I think it's a good film particularly if you are looking for a nicely done b & w film that's sentimental and done well. cable

A Taste of Honey 1961 was a pretty good, yet obscure (to me) film, about a young pregnant teen growing up in industrialized England. The film is bittersweet in that her relationship with her mother is pretty contentious. She barely has any friends and she's pretty off putting, but I'm sure that's due to her lot in life. Her mother leaves her and remarries, leaving the girl to fend for herself with only a new gay friend for support. He is the one bright spot in her, otherwise dreary life. Worth a watch from HBO Max.

Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining written by S. King, and done pretty well. I'd probably say 4 stars.

Mrs. Miniver 1942--actually I had seen the later part of this film before, but didn't know what I was watching at the time. Set in Britain during 1939-41 and released in ‘42, this Best Picture Oscar®-winner was designed to encourage nations to join the Allied cause and to assure those already on board that they’d done the right thing. By focusing on a few fictional families who bravely bear the burden of their country being bombed by the Nazis, it “humanizes” Britain’s struggle and stirs deep emotions.
    Part of the film talks about social classes and their differences, and also there's another plot about winning a prize roses contest, their son and others entering the war effort, and also a romantic interest between their son and a local girl. All in all an entertaining movie, and worth a watch. Greer Garson won best actress.

Miss Potter stars Renee Zellweger & Ewan McGregor in a bio about the English children's author. Sort of an early feminist to a degree, but also pretty deeply into making her art. Overall the movie is light, witty, warm, cozy, and maybe too affected or sweet at times, but it didn't bother me. It also had great scenery, costumes, and pretty good script. I caught it off YT for free with commercials.
    I enjoyed both "The Outsider" and "Dr. Sleep". Two of the better adaptations of King works.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Yes you should. NBN is a glossy polished film . Many of Hitchcock's earlier material is easly as good but alot is Black and White , which is dismissed out of turn by many younger viewers. Don't make that mistake , much of his work whether BW or Color is not to be missed. Try Rear Window and To Catch A Thief for a similar NBN vibe/look as far as polish and lush color.
    Also if you liked NBN try Stanley Donan's Charade . Features Cary Grant at a similar point in his carreer playing a similar charactor. Very much like NBN .
    You are to be envied , having the first viewings of Hitch classics in front of you. Enjoy!
    Thanks. I've watched a fair bit of Hitchcock's movies but not all. I'm a big fan of Rear Window (watched it at university in Film Studies). I don't think I've seen To Catch A Thief. I'm really a big fan of the B&W Rebecca, The Birds, and, naturally, Psycho. I actually like De Palma movies even though he rips off Hitchcook. I still have lots of explore and plan on making the effort to do so. One thing that is most impressive about Hitchcook's movies is the cinematography, the camera angles are amazing.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-31-2021 at 12:11 PM.

I finally saw Blade Runner 2049. Standing ovation for a nuanced, confounding, thought-provoking, breath-taking piece of work. Like its predecessor, this is what science fiction should be.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks. I've watched a fair bit of Hitchcock's movies but not all. I'm a big fan of Rear Window (watched it at university in Film Studies). I don't think I've seen To Catch A Thief. I'm really a big fan of the B&W Rebecca, The Birds, and, naturally, Psycho. I actually like De Palma movies even though he rips off Hitchcook. I still have lots of explore and plan on making the effort to do so. One thing that is most impressive about Hitchcook's movies is the cinematography, the camera angles are amazing.
    Forgive me for posting a list but here's what are often considered must sees, some of which you've seen, obviously:

The Lodger (1927) (considered Hitch's greatest silent movie, he considered it the first true Hitchcock film)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
    The 39 Steps (1935)
    The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    Rebecca (1940)
    Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    Suspicion (1941)
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    Lifeboat (1944)
    Notorious (1946) (considered one of Hitch's best)
    Rope (1948)
    Strangers on a Train (1951) (considered a classic, I thought the carousel scene at the end required too much suspension of disbelief; it was also the inspiration for the Danny DeVito/Billy Crystal comedy Throw Momma from the Train)
    Dial M for Murder (1954)
    Rear Window (1954)
    The Trouble with Harry (1955)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) (my issue with it: Doris Day sings "Que Sera, Sera" in it too many times)
    Vertigo (1958) (often considered Hitch's best... tho not by me)
    North by Northwest (1959)
    Psycho (1960)
    The Birds (1963)

I'm of the opinion that Hitch reached his peak that started with Dial M for Murder (1954) and finished with The Birds (1963). There is a movie during that period that kinda falls flat: The Wrong Man (1956). It stars Henry Fonda and Vera Miles so it should have been really good. It's not. After The Birds, his movies are pretty mediocre, with the exception of Frenzy, which is pretty good.

I just discovered on TCM's streaming website what is considered by some to be Peter Sellers' funniest movie: The Party.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone watched Army of the Dead on HBO? Any good? Are the undead fast or (as they should be) slow?

Forgive me for posting a list but here's what are often considered must sees, some of which you've seen, obviously:

The Lodger (1927) (considered Hitch's greatest silent movie, he considered it the first true Hitchcock film)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
    The 39 Steps (1935)
    The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    Rebecca (1940)
    Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    Suspicion (1941)
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    Lifeboat (1944)
    Notorious (1946) (considered one of Hitch's best)
    Rope (1948)
    Strangers on a Train (1951) (considered a classic, I thought the carousel scene at the end required too much suspension of disbelief; it was also the inspiration for the Danny DeVito/Billy Crystal comedy Throw Momma from the Train)
    Dial M for Murder (1954)
    Rear Window (1954)
    The Trouble with Harry (1955)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) (my issue with it: Doris Day sings "Que Sera, Sera" in it too many times)
    Vertigo (1958) (often considered Hitch's best... tho not by me)
    North by Northwest (1959)
    Psycho (1960)
    The Birds (1963)

I'm of the opinion that Hitch reached his peak that started with Dial M for Murder (1954) and finished with The Birds (1963). There is a movie during that period that kinda falls flat: The Wrong Man (1956). It stars Henry Fonda and Vera Miles so it should have been really good. It's not. After The Birds, his movies are pretty mediocre, with the exception of Frenzy, which is pretty good.
    That's a major list Hal. There is a lot I have not yet seen. Looking forward to exploring.

Greg

I just discovered on TCM's streaming website what is considered by some to be Peter Sellers' funniest movie: The Party.
    Ohhh, that's one of my favourites!

"Hey, close the door, man!"

Throw Momma From The Train is essentially a remake of Strangers On A Train, but played for laughs. And the best part is, they even acknowledge inside the movie, by having DeVito's character go see Strangers On A Train, which essentially sets the film's plot in motion.

Talking about Brian DiPalma, I really liked Body Double a lot. That's essentially a mashup of Rear Window and Vertigo. Also liked Sisters, that was a good one. Can't remember which of his other movies I've seen (other than Carrie, which I wasn't enamored with as other people seem to be).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Throw Momma From The Train is essentially a remake of Strangers On A Train, but played for laughs. And the best part is, they even acknowledge inside the movie, by having DeVito's character go see Strangers On A Train, which essentially sets the film's plot in motion.

Talking about Brian DiPalma, I really liked Body Double a lot. That's essentially a mashup of Rear Window and Vertigo. Also liked Sisters, that was a good one. Can't remember which of his other movies I've seen (other than Carrie, which I wasn't enamored with as other people seem to be).
    There was also an DiPalma movie with a young John Travolta called Blow Out. I liked it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone watched Army of the Dead on HBO? Any good? Are the undead fast or (as they should be) slow?
    Yes. It was alright, if predictable. And the undead are fast and not mindless.

Some fast , some slow. Its ok , if you like zombies watch it.

That's a major list Hal. There is a lot I have not yet seen. Looking forward to exploring.
    Greg
    Looking for a completely different movie, today, I discovered a few of them on HBO Max's TCM hub:
    The Lodger
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (the '34 version)
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Sabotage (1936)
    Foreign Correspondent

I didn't list Sabotage before because I wouldn't consider it a must see. Still a decent movie, tho. Plus, it stars Sylvia Sidney, so that's a huge plus.

Ms Sidney:

If she seems vaguely familiar, it's because she co-starred in a couple of well known movies in her golden years: Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks!. She also played Mr Carlson's mother in the pilot episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

There was also an DiPalma movie with a young John Travolta called Blow Out. I liked it at the time.
    I never did see Blow Out, but it's one I've always been curious about. I kinda had a thing for Nancy Allen, pre-RoboCop. Looking at De Palma's filmography on Wikipedia, I realize I've seen actually a few of his other movies:

Phantom Of The Paradise: I know a lot of people consider this a classic, but to me it's just a great big mess. The best thing about is Jessica Harper, and in particular the ballad she sings (and if I remember correctly, that's really her singing). Paul Williams is a fine songwriter, for a particular style of music, which isn't rock n roll (isn't Winslow's big musical supposed to be a "rock n roll cantata"?). Also, I can't get with Paul Williams somehow seducing Jessica Harper. Yeah, I know, he's "under contract", so he has supernatural powers or whatever, but it still went beyond the limits of "suspension of disbelief" if you ask me.

The Fury: Saw this a long LONG time ago, like decades ago, and I remember very little except, I think, a scene where an amusement park is sobotaged by someone with telekinetic powers, killing a sheik and his body guards or something like that.

Raising Cain: This was a pretty good one, with Jon Lithgow playing a man with multiple personalities.

re: Sylvia Sydney,

If she seems vaguely familiar, it's because she co-starred in a couple of well known movies in her golden years: Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks!. She also played Mr Carlson's mother in the pilot episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
    She was Juno, the Maitland's case worker with the smoking habit, and the slit throat (every time she took a hit off her cigarette, you'd see smoke pouring out of her neck). Love the scene with the high school football team

Football player: I don't think we survived that crash, Coach.
    Juno: You think?! And STOP CALLING ME COACH! He survived the crash!

She won a Saturn Award for that one.

In Mars Attacks, wasn't she the old lady who liked listening to Slim Whitman records, which...oh geez, I think I need a spoiler warning here, OK

SPOILER WARNING

OK, so it's while the kid is rescuing his grandmother that we find out the Martians can't deal with the sound of Slim Whitman's yodeling, which causes their heads to explode.

She was also in the second Omen movie and Raid On Entebbe.

I posted about it a few days ago. Both fast and slow zombies and also "alpha" zombies who have some level of intelligence. It is rather long, but I enjoyed it for the most part as a different take on the zombie genre. There are some plot holes, and things like that, but overall I enjoyed it.