Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I watched My Octopus Teacher yesterday. It scored 100% & 94% on RottenTomatoes. While good, I wasn't enamored with it as most people seem to be. It also scored an 8.4 on IMDb, which I think is more accurate, if a touch high.

In the mood for something mindless, stupid, and fun, I also watched Thunder Force last night. That's the superhero movie with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer on Netflix. What I expected was something along the likes of the Ghostbusters reboot or Bridesmaids or Wine Country, movies with female leads that aren't bad, per se, but aren't really funny, either.

It's strange. I like Melissa McCarthy but I don't think she's ever made me laugh before. Not in Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids, or Ghostbusters. And I'm certain I saw Identity Thief but I remember nothing about it, which for me usually means it wasn't any good. But what I discovered about Thunder Force was that I thought it was actually funny, albeit, in a mindless, silly way - and in spite of myself. MM made me laugh. I also thought Jason Bateman was funny. As you'd expect, Octavia Spencer was the straight woman in it.

So to compare, on IMDb Wine Country scored a 5.4, Ghostbusters a 6.6, Bridesmaids a 6.8, and Thunder Force a 4.3. Ouch. Funny thing is, I got more laughs from it than the other three combined. <shrugs>
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

Check out The Strange Ones (2017) if you like smart Indie dread laden mystery/thrillers.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I watched My Octopus Teacher yesterday. It scored 100% & 94% on RottenTomatoes. While good, I wasn't enamored with it as most people seem to be. It also scored an 8.4 on IMDb, which I think is more accurate, if a touch high.

In the mood for something mindless, stupid, and fun, I also watched Thunder Force last night. That's the superhero movie with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer on Netflix. What I expected was something along the likes of the Ghostbusters reboot or Bridesmaids or Wine Country, movies with female leads that aren't bad, per se, but aren't really funny, either.

It's strange. I like Melissa McCarthy but I don't think she's ever made me laugh before. Not in Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids, or Ghostbusters. And I'm certain I saw Identity Thief but I remember nothing about it, which for me usually means it wasn't any good. But what I discovered about Thunder Force was that I thought it was actually funny, albeit, in a mindless, silly way - and in spite of myself. MM made me laugh. I also thought Jason Bateman was funny. As you'd expect, Octavia Spencer was the straight woman in it.

So to compare, on IMDb Wine Country scored a 5.4, Ghostbusters a 6.6, Bridesmaids a 6.8, and Thunder Force a 4.3. Ouch. Funny thing is, I got more laughs from it than the other three combined. <shrugs>
    If you like MM I highly recommend Heat, with her and Sandra Bullock. For me that's one of her funniest roles.

A nice analysis of the movies Melissa McCarthy chooses to make:

https://slate.com/culture/2021/04/th...ne-movies.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Glove Box (Der goldene Handschuh, original title)--German film, sort of thought of as horror although I really didn't feel much tension or suspense while watching. It was mostly a bleak and gross experience for me. I'd give it three stars maybe.

I still find the best thing Melissa McCarthy did or at least was in was Gilmore Girls.

I'm dropping this here for no other reason than it gives me a good chuckle when I think of the line that follows...

cd1.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    If you like MM I highly recommend Heat, with her and Sandra Bullock. For me that's one of her funniest roles.
    I did see that. I just forgot about it. I don't remember much of it but I remember liking it, for the most part. I also seem to recall feeling Sandra Bullock was wasted in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A nice analysis of the movies Melissa McCarthy chooses to make:
    I agree with the author regarding Thunder Force: that there are a lot of scenes and bits that should be funny but aren't. I just found myself laughing at MM a lot and I rarely laugh out loud at comedies, even when I find them really amusing.

Something from that article I found really interesting: "In dark times for comedies—the genre’s share of domestic box office has dropped by more than two-thirds in the past 20 years..."

That doesn't surprise me because the vast majority of comedies I've seen that have been released in the past 20+ years were unfunny. I don't know if it's a case of having seen it all before or if it's because the comedic sensibility of Gen X and Millennial writers/directors isn't all that funny to begin with... or a combination of the two.

I remember looking forward to the Tina Fey - Steve Carell movie and finding it tepid. The same for the Fey - Amy Poehler movies. Where are all the good comedies?
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

^ Comedy in real life situations mops the floor with movies/tv.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

You ever see a movie where the dialog is all in a language you don't speak, no subtitles, yet, you more or less are able to figure out what's going on? OK, now imagine seeing such a picture as that, then seeing it dubbed over in a language you do speak...and it actually made more sense when you didn't know what everyone was saying?

Such as is the case with a picture that was first presented to me as The Shark's Cave. From 1978, the plot's kinda difficult to summarize. A missing diver (played by Dominican born Andres Garcia, who I'm told was a movie star in the Spanish speaking world during the 70's) is found on the beach, after his disappearance several months earlier. It turns out he had been hired by Arthur Kennedy (who I gather actually had a huge career in Hollywood in the 40's and 50's, but where I remember him from is Fantastic Voyage) to recover an apparently extremely valuable box that went down in a plane crash in the ocean. Besides that bit of information, I'm not sure I can really tell you what's happening.

The movie sort of plays like someone thought "Gee, I wonder if we could play off both the Jaws phenomenon and everyone's interest in the Bermuda Triangle and put it all into one picture". And indeed, the movie's Spanish title translates as "Bermuda: The Bottomless Pit" (or Bermuda: The Damned Pit, is the title given on Youtube).

So anyway, the movie's plot is weird. It's hard to tell which bits are supposed to happening in "the present" and which bits are "flashbacks". But as I said, the Bermuda Triangle thing plays into it, apparently, this is why the plane crashed that set the whole thing in motion. Then a yacht goes to sea, and the passengers suddenly, in the middle of the night just decide to jump off the ship, out in the open sea.

Kind of a strange movie, definitely nothing that would make Orson Welles lose sleep, if he was still alive to do so, but I enjoyed it, if for no other reason all the scuba scenes (which I guess most people would say were way too long), and Janet Agren is kinda hot. Oh, and we never do find out what's in that box, and we only get the vaguest of explanation for what the yotz is going on in the first frelling place.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've seen a lot of movies that weren't in English, and have no subtitles. It turns out once you have a few spy movies or sunken treasure heist pictures under your belt, it becomes surprisingly easy to suss out what's happening in one, even without understanding the dialog. I mean, it's not like you're dealing with Shakespeare, or Fellini or Bergman, or anything else where the dialog actually means anything.

I don't know why but that reminded me of What's Up Tiger Lily?

I saw it way back in my late teens and thought it was funny at first but also thought it couldn't sustain the humor throughout the whole movie.

Has anyone seen it as a grown up? What did you think?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A Call To Spy (2019). After France falls to the Nazis ,two women seek to support the war effort by spying for a secret agency under Churchill. Based on a true story. This is well told story of the heroic actions of everyday people during the second world war. I'd give it a 7.2 out of 10. Not bad at all for a couple of hours.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I don't know why but that reminded me of What's Up Tiger Lily?

I saw it way back in my late teens and thought it was funny at first but also thought it couldn't sustain the humor throughout the whole movie.

Has anyone seen it as a grown up? What did you think?
    Isn't that the one where they took some foreign me, and dubbed over comedy dialog, written, I think, by Woody Allen? I've never actually seen it, but you remind me of Dyna-Man, which was short lived series that aired on the USA Network's old Night Flight block of late night programming, where they took episodes of the Japanese Super Sentai series (essentially, the same show the Power Rangers franchise came from), and dubbed comedy dialog and a rock music soundtrack onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Isn't that the one where they took some foreign [movie], and dubbed over comedy dialog, written, I think, by Woody Allen?
    Yep. It was written and directed by Allen. The original Japanese movie was International Secret Police: Key of Keys. It was supposed to be a one hour TV show but, according to Wikipedia, "during post-production, [it] was expanded without his permission to include additional scenes from International Secret Police: A Barrel of Gunpowder (third film in the series), and musical numbers by the band The Lovin' Spoonful."

This was the impetus for Allen getting creative control over his projects. He also distanced himself from it. Can't say I blame him.

Graphic, serial killer type movie

Tonight we watched The Father. WOW. Just wow. As great as the writing and direction is, this one is all about the stunning performances by the cast. Anthony Hopkins is mesmerizing (I always do find him so). Incredibly moving and gripping film that puts you right smack dab in the mind of an elderly dementia patient.

Outstanding.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tonight we watched The Father. WOW. Just wow. As great as the writing and direction is, this one is all about the stunning performances by the cast. Anthony Hopkins is mesmerizing (I always do find him so). Incredibly moving and gripping film that puts you right smack dab in the mind of an elderly dementia patient.

Outstanding.
    Anothony Hopkins is such a fine actor. I saw this on pay for view and will have to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Anothony Hopkins is such a fine actor. I saw this on pay for view and will have to check it out!
    I'm always transfixed by him. When he's on the screen, I can barely focus on anyone else, he has such a commanding presence.

I'm pumped to see it!

Outstanding.
    On my list to see.

I'm always transfixed by him. When he's on the screen, I can barely focus on anyone else, he has such a commanding presence.
    I agree he has a commanding presence. He was great in the showy role of Hannibal Lector, of course, but he was absolutely perfect in The Elephant Man. I also think the movie The World's Fastest Indian wouldn't have been half as good if he hadn't been the lead in it. I think his best role, tho, was in Shadowlands, a movie that left me speechless, due in no small part to his performance.

I agree he has a commanding presence. He was great in the showy role of Hannibal Lector, of course, but he was absolutely perfect in The Elephant Man. I also think the movie The World's Fastest Indian wouldn't have been half as good if he hadn't been the lead in it. I think his best role, tho, was in Shadowlands, a movie that left me speechless, due in no small part to his performance.
    ...and don't forget his stellar performance in Remains Of A Day. It has such an incredibly slow pace (and I thought initially boring), then BAMM, riviting emotion and superb acting.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ...and don't forget his stellar performance in Remains Of A Day. It has such an incredibly slow pace (and I thought initially boring), then BAMM, riviting emotion and superb acting.
    The Remains Of The Day and Howard's End were both brilliant IMO. One of my favourite Hopkins performances was in Titus, but as so many are not Shakespeare lovers, it gets overlooked.

Saw the new film "Voyagers" at the theater yesterday. Pretty much "Lord Of The Flies" set on a space ship. It was a decent enough film, but nothing spectacular.

I just watched Mortal Kombat on HBO Max.All I can say is it's bloody,Violent mindless fun.