Page 22 of 397 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Big Lebowski is another one I've never seen. I think I started watching it, late one night, and fell asleep. That's the bowling movie isn't it, the one where Jeff Bridges head gets shoved in a toilet? I need to see more Coen Bros. pictures in general. I loved both Raising Arizona and Fargo. But I don't think I've seen anything else they've done.
    The Coen brothers have three kinds of movies: comedies, crime, and character studies, some of which take a bizarre turn in the third act. I'm of the opinion their crime movies are the best.

As a Coen Bros. devotee, here's how I would break them down:
    1984 - Blood Simple. Their best movie. If you like dramatic irony you'll love this; it's dripping with it. Frances McDormand's first movie. M. Emmet Walsh steals the movie as a slimy PI.
    1987 - Raising Arizona. Great comedy. But you already know that.
    1990 - Miller's Crossing. A great mobster movie (my favorite). Gabriel Byrne is excellent in it. Albert Finney's shoot out in the street is iconic... and funny.
    1991 - Barton Fink. Not an easy movie to like as it's one of their character studies that takes a bizarre turn. Can't say I'm a fan. Still, John Turturro & John Goodman are both excellent in it.
    1994 - The Hudsucker Proxy. A light comedy w/Tim Robbins, Paul Newman, & Jennifer Jason Leigh.
    1996 - Fargo. A great movie with some of that Coen Bros humor (i.e. Steve Buscemi's argument with the parking lot attendant).
    1998 - The Big Lebowski. Not a fan. Many love it, tho.
    2000 - O Brother, Where Art Thou? For quite a while, this was my favorite Coen film. A retelling of the Homer classic, The Odyssey (or so I've read), it's a comedy, mostly... sorta... whatever. Lots of old time folk/country music in it, which is actually a good thing in this case; and I say that because I normally hate that kind of music. Such an entertaining movie. This should be next on your list.
    2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There. Found it quite slow in the beginning and consequently fell asleep. Still feel I need to finish it. It's also in B&W.
    2003 - Intolerable Cruelty. An underrated gem of a little comedy.
    2004 - The Ladykillers. Another comedy but nothing special.
    2007 - No Country for Old Men. Good crime movie. Great? You be the judge.
    2008 - Burn After Reading. Another comedy. I think most people liked it more than I did.
    2009 - A Serious Man. It's another of their character studies. It's kind of an odd movie and there's really nothing particularly special about it but I really liked it. I seem to recall a lot of Jewish humor in it. And, yeah, it takes a bit of an odd turn at the end but nothing like Barton Fink.
    2010 - True Grit. Supposedly, much more faithful to the novel. Jeff Bridges really is great in it. It has a different tone than the '69 version w/John Wayne but I didn't think it improved on it. Good movie.
    2013 - Inside Llewyn Davis. Another character study but without the odd turn. It's about a struggling Jewish folk singer in early '60s Greenwich Village. It's not bad but it isn't particularly great either, other than Oscar Isaac's performance. Some humor but not as much or as funny as A Serious Man.
    2016 - Hail, Caesar! Progeezer really liked this movie. I must have missed something.

I have to say, tho, that all of their movies are worth at least one viewing. Even when the movie isn't that good, it's still better than most movies, which are all dreck in comparison.

Incidentally, the only other filmmaker I'd say that about is Stanley Kubrick, fwiw.

Course, there was also King Kong, but maybe the less said about that, the better.
    Saw it when it was first released and liked it... then. I still don't think it's a bad movie, aside from Jessica Lange's mediocre acting. Bridges' acting and Lange's wet, see-thru blouse are the highlights.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Man Who Wasn't There starts out a bit slow, but it's well worth it as the plot moves along. Homage to the noir films of the 40s/50s.

Still haven't seen A Serious Man and some of the other more recent ones.

I haven't seen a few of these, like The Man Who Wasn't There, Llewyn, and Hail Caesar. But this bit is freaking hilarious.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You have to wonder why they did The Ladykillers, the original with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers was perfect.

I loved Hail Caesar.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You have to wonder why they did The Ladykillers, the original with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers was perfect.
    Hey, they foolishly tried a remake of "Psycho." Stupidity has no limits.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It really tied the room together.

There are so many things to laugh at I can't even fathom people who don't think it's funny. The black cab driver who insists on playing The Eagles in his cab (who the Dude hates). The flamboyant purple dressed The Jesus who licks the bowling ball before he throws. The funeral home guy trying to explain they have to buy "our most modest receptacle" to put the ashes in. The Nihilists ordering pancakes and pigs in a blanket in thick German accents. Bunny telling the Dude that she'll bl%* him for $1000 but Lebowski's assistant Brandt (Seymour Hoffman) has to pay $100 to watch. And the proper, formal and stiff way that Brandt carries out his duties for the Big L is completely hilarious. The private detective following the Dude around searching for Bunny, who shows a picture of the Knutsen Family Farm in Morehead, Minn, which is a desolate treeless completely flat winter landscape, and he says "the parents thought this photo would make her homesick" (if you grew up in the Upper Midwest, you immediately laugh at that). Walter struggling to pin down little Larry on his homework, after yelling out admiration to the creator of the TV series Branded who's in an Iron Lung.....it goes on and on.

The key to Lebowski is not trying to decipher a rational plot as much as just enjoying how the Coens are just telling a wacky bizarre off center story w crazy interesting characters. If you demand logic and rational linear filmmaking, the Coens will frustrate you.
    But I get that humor is very personal. I love Python, Albert Brooks, early Woody Allen, and a lot of dark humor type flicks. I'm a big David Lynch and Kubrick fan. I think Dr. Strangelove is still the funniest movie ever made.
    Spot on. Such movies are never about plot, and in this case it's all about the characters and the dialogue. I never really understand people who can't see what the intention is in such movies, and learn to just go with it...rather than spending the movie wondering when the plot is going to kick in.

And honestly...it's not that difficult to do a little bit of research on a movie before you watch It to get an idea of what you are in for.

And for the jesus sake...can we please bury this ridiculous 'I'll never get that 2 hours of my life back' nonsense...it became old even before it started. Newsflash dude...you never get ANY of your life back.. good, bad, wasted, indifferent.. whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Newsflash dude...you never get ANY of your life back.. good, bad, wasted, indifferent.. whatever.
    Don't you get an hour back when Daylight Savings begins each year?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hey, they foolishly tried a remake of "Psycho." Stupidity has no limits.
    What movie was a remake of Psycho that they did?

The remake was called Psycho. One very quick click to Wikipedia gets your answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_(1998_film)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The remake was called Psycho. One very quick click to Wikipedia gets your answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_(1998_film)
    That was not a Coen Bros film. One quick click would have told you that. Hence, my question.

Psycho Killer
    Qu'est-ce que c'est
    Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better
    Run run run run run run run away oh oh oh
    Psycho Killer
    Qu'est-ce que c'est
    Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far…
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-07-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Only to lose it six months later.

In 1998, they made a version with Anne Heche. I never saw it, but it's my understanding that they simply did a scene-by-scene remake for the sake of appealing to audiences who refuse to watch B&W movies.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Gus Van Zant directed the Psycho remake
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

In 1998, they made a version with Anne Heche. I never saw it, but it's my understanding that they simply did a scene-by-scene remake for the sake of appealing to audiences who refuse to watch B&W movies.
    _________
    Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    You have to wonder why they [The Coen Bros]did The Ladykillers, the original with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers was perfect.

Hey, [they] foolishly tried a remake of "Psycho." Stupidity has no limits.

I know of and have seen the Psycho remake. The reason I asked the question is because the post you were responding to was specifically referencing the Coen Bros re the remake of The Ladykillers, and after a series of posts about films the Coen Bros made, and you used the word "they" re Psycho. I didn't know whether there was some obscure Coen B film I didn't know about that was a Psycho "remake"; or whether you thought the Coen Bros did that 98 Psycho color remake. Obviously just some confusion re English usage, notwithstanding the wiseass remark per usual from Gruno.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-06-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Nothing is too pedantic for PE.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nothing is too pedantic for PE.
    You had better define nothing or else face the wrath!

You had better define nothing or else face the wrath!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

proggaz be gettin cranky
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

_________
    Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    You have to wonder why they [The Coen Bros]did The Ladykillers, the original with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers was perfect.

I know of and have seen the Psycho remake. The reason I asked the question is because the post you were responding to was specifically referencing the Coen Bros re the remake of The Ladykillers, and after a series of posts about films the Coen Bros made, and you used the word "they" re Psycho. I didn't know whether there was some obscure Coen B film I didn't know about that was a Psycho "remake"; or whether you thought the Coen Bros did that 98 Psycho color remake. Obviously just some confusion re English usage, notwithstanding the wiseass remark per usual from Gruno.
    Oops. Yes, you are correct. It was bad wording on my part. I used "they" in the general sense. But, I was in the wrong context of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    proggaz be gettin cranky
    Blowin' by cranky and heading towards curmudgeonly. Next stop, "Get your fucking ass off my lawn!"

Let's shimmy on over to post-apocalyptic shall we? Great! So I found a hidden gem on Netflix starring Guy Pearce and I thought it was great! It's called The Rover This is slow, dreary movie so it won't be everyone's cup o tea, but man was I captured. it's set in Australia 10 years after economic collapse. Some dude gets a drink at a bar and gets his car stolen by 3 other dudes and the dude in the bar whos car got stolen spends the rest of the movie going after the 3 dudes who stole his car Clearly I'm not the best movie reviewer, but if you like some great, dreary scenery, awesome acting by Pearce and the Robert Pattinson (Twilight) and a slow, dirty, uneasy ride...check it out! I thought it was well done and I really liked the ending.

I think this would satisfy the nosebone's and Lou's in here.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Those were all taken at their first and only practice session, because they never actually got around to writing any songs. It ended with them all throwing their hands up and proclaiming, "Forget it, I'll do it myself."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    All The Money In The World - Mark Wahlberg, Christopher Plummer and Michelle Williams. Director Ridley Scott. The infamous story of kidnappers demanding $17 Million from billionaire J. Paul Getty in exchange for his grandson's release. A totally captivating story - excellent acting - with a special nod to Michelle Williams for her underpaid role and nuanced role. All the actors were excellent. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    All The Money In The World - Mark Wahlberg, Christopher Plummer and Michelle Williams. Director Ridley Scott. The infamous story of kidnappers demanding $17 Million from billionaire J. Paul Getty in exchange for his grandson's release. A totally captivating story - excellent acting - with a special nod to Michelle Williams for her underpaid role and nuanced role. All the actors were excellent. Highly recommended.
    Still waiting to make the time for that one, it's on the DVR. I think because I recently watched this exact story in the series Trust (with Donald Sutherland as Getty), I've been focusing on other things. Plummer is always outstanding, so I am looking forward to it once I get to it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Supposedley...but since time is a man made construct anyway even thats debatable.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...