Page 219 of 394 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I can never quite keep the two straight and I just discovered why: Eileen Brennan is in both. But Tim Curry is the best part of Clue.

I saw Murder by Death sometime in the last year or two and I recall enjoying it.

Can't recall how funny either was, tho.

Checking the list of streamable movies on TCM, MbD is there but Clue isn't.
    It's been a long time since I saw Clue. I don't remember enjoying it as much as Murder by Death, but the goofball humor of MbD really appealed to me (the same reason why "Airplane!" is one of my favorite comedies still ).

I noticed The Night of the Hunter is listed on TCM's streaming site. It stars Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish and was the only movie ever directed by Charlies Laughton.

If you've never seen, you should. I'm of the opinion it's one of the ten best movies ever made.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yeah, it's imprecise to compare Knives Out to the other two. Murder by Death has a few laugh out loud moments (Miss Marble smelling gas) but a lot of it hasn't aged well at all. Neil Simon's powers were waning, too many jokes are either too broad or just fall flat, and Sellers playing an Asian is just so ridiculous. I do like making Sam "Diamond" gay, Dick and Dora dead broke, etc. It needed more twists like that. Alec Guinness and Peter Falk were the best of that cast. Curry was the best thing in Clue but sheesh, the running from room to room got real old real fast. IMHO, the last ending was the best. "I'm going home. To my WIFE!" YMMV.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Professor and the Mad Man

On Netflix 2019

Mel Gibson as the professor, and Sean Penn as the madman. Set in the 1870s, it tells the story of William Murray (Gibson) tasked to come up with
    the first Oxford English dictionary. Penn is an ex American Army Colonel living in London. The atrocities from the war have started to gnaw at Penn's sanity.
    A delusion causes him to commit a crime , which then has him institutionalized. He eventually becomes an important contributor to the dictionary. This
    was quite interesting. Gibson and Penn were excellent. Definitely a recommended view.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Sometimes my day is going just fine, and then I remember that time that Hollywood thought we wanted to see John Travolta and Lily Tomlin in an erotic drama.

cd2.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I kind of liked Clue. But Murder by Death is a stone classic, and of course politically incorrect as all get-out.
    "I smell gas!"
    "I can't help it, dear, I'm very old..."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Ok. Wow. Murder By Death? Saw this as a double feature at the old "historic" Red Rock Theater. I forget the name of the other flick was but it was a send up of The Maltese Falcon. 1976, so there's a clue. Or is MBD a spoof of Maltese and my memory is faulty? I remember it as a double but maybe I'm wrong.

I was eight years old and totally loved MBD. There was no way I could really understand it but that movie is one I'm a gonna have to go back and watch. I'm so much more educated about who they were spoofing and all those details that I'll see it through vastly different eyes. Gods, that was 44 years ago.

Ok, after that blast from the past, '71 - way cool flick. A British soldier get's left behind after a riot during The Trouble's in Ireland. Lots of moving parts but not too hard to figure out.

Crikey, what a terrible time that was. A lot of carnage for little reason but this story is cool, actually, in a morbid sense. Nothing turns out really very well for anyone as it's still a cluster situation but it seems to portray the reality of what was going on at that time.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 01-16-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    But Murder by Death is a stone classic, and of course politically incorrect as all get-out.
    "I smell gas!"
    "I can't help it, dear, I'm very old..."
    A stone classic indeed! One that I always have to keep on when I stumble on it. Peter Sellers was a comic genius
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watched "Uncut Gems" the other night. Certainly a different role for Sandler, but I thought he did a pretty amazing job in it. The movie is kind of like watching a slow motion train wreck in progress at a pace that is relentlessly fast. I thought the whole thing was quite different and I dug it a lot.

Re watched The Nickel Ride (1974) tonight.

Excellent film noir starring Jason Miller, who played Father Karass in The Exorcist, as a low level gangster facing extinction in LA.

Also featuring the excellent Linda Haynes as his girlfriend, John Hillerman as the boss and Bo Hopkins as the Cadillac Cowboy baddie.

Worth checking out this under the radar gem.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Volver last night. Very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    We watched Volver last night. Very good movie.
    I've always wanted to see that movie.

But I'd rather see the Penelope Cruz biopic, Vulva.

I know, that's crass and sexist. But I find her sooooooooooooooo sexy.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've always wanted to see that movie.

But I'd rather see the Penelope Cruz biopic, Vulva.

I know, that's crass and sexist. But I find her sooooooooooooooo sexy.

Yeah, I wanted an outtake from Modern Family where Claire and Gloria resolved their attraction for each other but that ain't gonna happen either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, I wanted an outtake from Modern Family where Claire and Gloria resolved their attraction for each other but that ain't gonna happen either.
    I never got the impression either was attracted to the other. Unless I missed something.

Did you ever watch How I Met Your Mother? One of the things I loved about that show was how Lily would occasionally make sexual comments about Robin, indicating Lily was bi or bi-curious.

Walk Of Shame - Elizabeth Banks, James Marsders

A rom-com that's more Adventures In Babysitting. She gets into some pretty damned funny situations. Lawrence Gilliard Jr., D'Angelo Barksdale from The Wire and his two gang buddies were a delight. I quite enjoyed this movie and had some LOL moments. The Empire commercial nod especially made me laugh as I hear that all the time from Mom's tv. That's sort of an inside joke that only I probably know.

Worth the price of admission.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Walk Of Shame - Elizabeth Banks, James Marsders

A rom-com that's more Adventures In Babysitting. She gets into some pretty damned funny situations. Lawrence Gilliard Jr., D'Angelo Barksdale from The Wire and his two gang buddies were a delight. I quite enjoyed this movie and had some LOL moments. The Empire commercial nod especially made me laugh as I hear that all the time from Mom's tv. That's sort of an inside joke that only I probably know.

Worth the price of admission.
    I got the Empire commercial reference to. Funny movie. I really liked it.

I was watching an interview with former gangster Michael Franchisee on YouTube last night and he was asked his opinion on what the most accurate gangster movie was. His answer was the 1996 HBO film “Gotti”, so I decided to watch it last night. I don’t remember ever seeing this one before and it was very good. Arman Asante played Gotti and Anthony Quinn played Neal Delaroche. It is a great little gangster film if you have never seen it.

Watched one I'd never heard of called Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead. A Norwegian Zom Com (in English) featuring zombie nazis, dismemberment, gory deaths, and laughs. Nice to see nazi zombies as the bad guys again, rather than just typical everyday right wing Congressmen. Wife and I enjoyed it even though we never had the chance to see the first Dead Snow movie.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched one I'd never heard of called Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead. A Norwegian Zom Com (in English) featuring zombie nazis, dismemberment, gory deaths, and laughs. Nice to see nazi zombies as the bad guys again, rather than just typical everyday right wing Congressmen. Wife and I enjoyed it even though we never had the chance to see the first Dead Snow movie.
    Both are stupid good fun!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Watched Papillon last night, partly to see the late Gregory Sierra, but mostly because I had forgotten much of that great film.

Later in the night, Faults (2014) was on TV. I had wanted to see that since I saw The Art of Self Defense (2019) by the same director, Riley Stearns. I would recommend both to anyone who likes oddball, but interesting and dark, comedy dramas. Faults (w/Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is not about earthquakes. It is about cults and deprogramming cultists. The Art of Self Defense (w/Jesse Eisenberg) is about the dark side of self-defense instruction.

What about old films? I like black and white cinema. It is very sweet and without any vulgarity or vulgarity. Most of all I enjoy watching old movies with a projector. The feeling of old open-air cinemas is created. And at home, creating such an atmosphere, as it turned out, is very simple. I bought myself a ViewSonic 1080p Short Throw Projector and am very pleased because my room is small and I want to look at a large picture. This projector allows you to broadcast a large diagonal image at a short distance. Basically, my projector is not alone capable of this. Here are the parameters of projectors from different manufacturers for every taste and price.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    What about old films? I like black and white cinema. It is very sweet and without any vulgarity or vulgarity. Most of all I enjoy watching old movies with a projector. The feeling of old open-air cinemas is created. And at home, creating such an atmosphere, as it turned out, is very simple. I bought myself a ViewSonic 1080p Short Throw Projector and am very pleased because my room is small and I want to look at a large picture. This projector allows you to broadcast a large diagonal image at a short distance. Basically, my projector is not alone capable of this. Here are the parameters of projectors from different manufacturers for every taste and price.
    Check out Best BW Movies thread on this page.

My GF and I watched Enola Holmes the other night. Very enjoyable. Millie Bobbie Brown is a treasure. The story was good, the acting was excellent, and the costuming and sets were perfect. Hope they make another one.

Also watched 12 Angry Men with my daughter over the weekend, which neither of us had ever seen. Very impressive on so many levels. A great job by Lumet to give it a more claustrophobic feel as the film progressed. Great performances by a great cast.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Also watched 12 Angry Men with my daughter over the weekend, which neither of us had ever seen. Very impressive on so many levels. A great job by Lumet to give it a more claustrophobic feel as the film progressed. Great performances by a great cast.
    A classic, and the first of two occasions where Lee J. Cobb's character would later be played by George C. Scott (The Exorcist III being the other). Cobb was a great actor, not mentioned as often as he should be.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A classic, and the first of two occasions where Lee J. Cobb's character would later be played by George C. Scott (The Exorcist III being the other). Cobb was a great actor, not mentioned as often as he should be.
    I'm not the cinemaphile that many here are, so I'm not a familiar with Cobb's work, but he was so good in this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally