Page 218 of 397 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    If you hold the Home button, all your installed apps will show up.
    I tried it and you're right. But it takes 3 button presses to get to the app screen and then numerous button presses to choose the app I want. The issue isn't that I'm lazy or impatient; the issue is wearing out the remote faster. With the phone app, however, it's 1 to get to the app screen and one for the app.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Irishman - powerful movie, but at 3 1/2 hours, long as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    We watched that one in three or four segments, as though it was a mini-series. Worked out really well and no fatigue.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Wanting to surprise myself with a new movie I knew nothing about, I chose to start watching the dvd at 9:00 pm, expecting it would be over around 11:00. I guess it's one of those times where I should have read the IMDB synopsis just to learn the movie's length. Oh, well. It's not like I had anywhere to go during Covid stay-at-home. I can watch it again, in segments, or with coffee.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I tried it and you're right. But it takes 3 button presses to get to the app screen and then numerous button presses to choose the app I want. The issue isn't that I'm lazy or impatient; the issue is wearing out the remote faster. With the phone app, however, it's 1 to get to the app screen and one for the app.
    You can also pair the Free Stick with Alexa for voice commands. I have one in my bedroom but Google AI in the den. Alexa is far superior but I don't feel like moving it from my bedroom.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    We saw it in a theater. It was a long one, but I enjoyed it. I had a beer with the movie and by the end I had pee really bad!

Saw Soul. Very nice (assuming you have the heart for Pixar: if you didn't like UP, I don't want to hear about it ). Very definitely not a kiddie film.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw Soul. Very nice (assuming you have the heart for Pixar: if you didn't like UP, I don't want to hear about it ). Very definitely not a kiddie film.
    I've heard really good things about Soul. I'd like to see it.

UP is probably my favorite Pixar movie overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I also liked Up. I'de watch Soul.

Ma Raynie's Black Bottom. Chadwick Bosemans last movie, an adaptation of August Wilson novel.

Story concerns Ma Raynie, a popular Chicago blues singer and her band. It focuses on tensions within the group, with Bosemans character wanting to change things, but its very much Ma's band and she calls the shots.

Boseman is excellent, as is Viola Davis as Ma.

I guess its an ensemble piece and the action takes place mainly in one location, but I found it powerful and compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Ma Raynie's Black Bottom. Chadwick Bosemans last movie, an adaptation of August Wilson novel.

Story concerns Ma Raynie, a popular Chicago blues singer and her band. It focuses on tensions within the group, with Bosemans character wanting to change things, but its very much Ma's band and she calls the shots.

I guess its an ensemble piece and the action takes place mainly in one location, but I found it powerful and compelling.
    That one is next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

Watched it tonight and agree with your assessment. A lot of movie sites I see are predicting both Boseman and Davis for Oscar nominations. They were both great in the film.

Regarding it being an ensemble piece apparently it is an adaptation of a stage play.

Watched WW84 in 2 instalments on MAX finishing last night. I found it padded and boring compared to first one. Overlong sequences of flying , flying in fireworks , smiling , assorted other subjects that could have been presented with greater economy. Villian is lame. Ending is lame. Its not a total bomb , but it was boring.

Looks like Netflix is going to release at least one new movie every week for 2021: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...?ocid=msedgdhp

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watched WW84 in 2 instalments on MAX finishing last night. [...] Villian is lame.
    I beg to differ. Pedro Pascal was a very good, even relatable villain. His performance was the best in the whole film.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I beg to differ. Pedro Pascal was a very good, even relatable villain. His performance was the best in the whole film.
    Agree to disagree.

Not sure if these movies were covered here previously but I just watched them on HBO Max.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019). On RottenTomatoes, it scored a 43% w/critics and an 83% w/audience. It also scored 6/10 on IMdB.

Kong: Skull Island (2017). On RT, it scored 75%/69% and on IMdB, 6.6/10.

I don't expect much from a popcorn movie but I do expect to be entertained and hope stupidity and/or faulty logic will be at a minimum. Godzilla failed at everything. I could point out the problems with it but I don't want to waste my time so all I'll is this: that movie sucked; its only redeeming quality was that Aisha Hinds was in it. Hell, I liked the '98 version better. My biggest complaint: when you spend the beaucoup bucks for all the CGI, it would be nice to at least actually see the fucking CGI. The only conclusion I can come to, given how dark and/or obscured the CGI was, is that they didn't spend that much on it afterall.

After watching Godzilla I didn't expect much from Kong. I should point out, for anyone who hasn't seen it, that this is a re-imagined version that takes place at the end of the Vietnam war, and ties into Legendary Pictures' "MonsterVerse", with Godzilla, et al. The first in the series is 2014's Godzilla which, supposedly, was pretty good. Kong is the second in the series and Godzilla KotM is the third. I also read that the fourth will be Godzilla vs Kong, set to be released this May.

Anyway, the original King Kong is a classic, of course. The remakes, while entertaining, have their pros & cons. The '05 version scores better than the '76 version - and there are a lot of goods things about it, Jack Black notwithstanding - but I'd give the edge to the '76 movie. The '17 Kong wasn't perfect, of course. The subplot stolen from Moby Dick with Samuel L Jackson as Capt Ahab was unnecessary, I thought. Overall, tho, I thought the movie was a lot better than the remakes. At least, that was my feeling coming away from it. FYI, the audience scores on RT for the '76, '05, and '17 versions were 31%, 50%, and 69%, respectively.

The '17 Kong wasn't perfect, of course. The subplot stolen from Moby Dick with Samuel L Jackson as Capt Ahab was unnecessary, I thought. Overall, tho, I thought the movie was a lot better than the remakes. At least, that was my feeling coming away from it. FYI, the audience scores on RT for the '76, '05, and '17 versions were 31%, 50%, and 69%, respectively.

I could barely watch Kong Island. There was too much stupidity to go around for me. Hey there's a giant ape, let's fly right into him with our puny helicopter... I thought the two legged monsters were silly looking too. Over both those two movies I preferred Dwayne Johnson's Rampage.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Tenet last night, hellish confusing but enjoyable need to surf the web for a plot explanation.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Tenet last night, hellish confusing but enjoyable need to surf the web for a plot explanation.
    I have been thinking about checking that one out.

Last night on TCM we watched the double feature of Murder by Death and Clue. Despite both taking a hack at a genre that is ripe for a great parody, they fail. I didn't expect something as brilliant as Mel Brooks' works but damn, it shouldn't be that hard to take classic mystery tropes and turn them on their ear. I guess I'll just rewatch Knives Out.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Last night on TCM we watched the double feature of Murder by Death and Clue. Despite both taking a hack at a genre that is ripe for a great parody, they fail. I didn't expect something as brilliant as Mel Brooks' works but damn, it shouldn't be that hard to take classic mystery tropes and turn them on their ear. I guess I'll just rewatch Knives Out.
    "Murder by Death" is funny, I don't know what you're talking about.

Since it's by Rian Johnson, Knives Out is an upending of the whodunnit genre and its tropes, to the point where it almost becomes something else (and it's brilliant). Murder by Death was an intentionally silly parody movie, a sendup of those old mystery stories. They're completely different films with completely different objectives. I'd never compare the two.

I can never quite keep the two straight and I just discovered why: Eileen Brennan is in both. But Tim Curry is the best part of Clue.

I saw Murder by Death sometime in the last year or two and I recall enjoying it.

Can't recall how funny either was, tho.

Checking the list of streamable movies on TCM, MbD is there but Clue isn't.