Page 217 of 397 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I didn't expect the year to end with Patricia Arquette liking and commenting on one of my social media posts, but then 2020 has no rules. But I must say, as a huge True Romance fan, it made me a little bit tingly in the swimsuit area.

I don't go on Twitter very much at all; doesn't really appeal to me. She's one of the few I follow, however.

Have you ever seen Bette Midler's feed? She's often hilarious.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Lord Of War last night. Nicholas Cage plays an international gunrunner, and provides amusing narration to the film. Pretty good. I had not heard of the 2005 movie until I recently found the DVD at a thrift store.

PALM SPRINGS

I noticed this after reading Richard Roeper's 2020 Best Movies list.

It looked pretty obviously like Groundhog Day but with a friend/twist set at a Wedding. And while that is kind of the movie in a nutshell, Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti were still very good in it.

A lighter Scifi Dramedy that doesn't take itself too seriously was a pleasant diversion the other night. If you have access to HULU, it's probably worth your time (and it's only 87 minutes).

"The Trial of the Chicago 7" on Netflix. I really liked it, especially Frank Langella's performance as the judge. Sasha Baron Cohen is hilarious as Abbie Hoffman, but the best for me was Jeremy Strong, who is fantastic as Kendall Roy on HBO's Succession. In that show, he is a corporate, slicked-back, ruthless, silver-spoon little rich boy. But his turn as Jerry Rubin in "Chicago 7" is, obviously, a complete 180 and he plays it convincingly. I like Aaron Sorkin's work for the most part, especially the HBO show "The Newsroom", and this is unmistakable Sorkin. Since I was only 12 in 1968, I knew little about the trial and, depending on how much is "true" and how much is dramatic license, this film was an eye-opener for me, and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Since I was only 12 in 1968, I knew little about the trial and, depending on how much is "true" and how much is dramatic license, this film was an eye-opener for me, and very well done.
    Sorkin took quite a few liberties with the chronology and truth. But, yeah, it's still good.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    "The Trial of the Chicago 7" on Netflix. I really liked it, especially Frank Langella's performance as the judge. Sasha Baron Cohen is hilarious as Abbie Hoffman, but the best for me was Jeremy Strong, who is fantastic as Kendall Roy on HBO's Succession. In that show, he is a corporate, slicked-back, ruthless, silver-spoon little rich boy. But his turn as Jerry Rubin in "Chicago 7" is, obviously, a complete 180 and he plays it convincingly. I like Aaron Sorkin's work for the most part, especially the HBO show "The Newsroom", and this is unmistakable Sorkin. Since I was only 12 in 1968, I knew little about the trial and, depending on how much is "true" and how much is dramatic license, this film was an eye-opener for me, and very well done.
    This one is on my list to watch.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell last night. It was we done and the acting was excellent. Sam Rockwell and Katy Bates were great in their roles. The movie really set up Jewell as a sympathetic character. I really like movies directed by Clint Eastwood.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't expect the year to end with Patricia Arquette liking and commenting on one of my social media posts, but then 2020 has no rules. But I must say, as a huge True Romance fan, it made me a little bit tingly in the swimsuit area.
    Plus, she and Peter Gabriel were an item, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What? I never heard that. When did this happen? And how long?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That was Rosanna Arquette.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That makes me feel better.

The Hunt

Bought a used copy of this, as it was consistently mentioned as one of the best horror films of 2020. It did not disappoint!
    A group of liberal elitists (yes, liberal) have ordinary people from around the country drugged, kidnapped, and flown out
    to Arkansas where they are then hunted by said elitists. The star is a woman who is part of the 15 being hunted. She seems
    to have a knack at survival. Excellent action, and pretty violent. Betty Gilpin is outstanding as the aforementioned lead.
    Completely unflappable, and adorable with her southern drawl. Hillary Swank also stars as the elitist leader. Highly recommended!

Ravage on Prime

Annabelle Dexter-Jones stars as a nature photographer out on her own in the forests of Tennessee. Unfortunately for her, she witnesses a murder,
    and is on the run from red neck locals. Captured and assaulted, she finally escapes and must put all of her survival skill knowledge to work if
    she is going to make it out alive. Brutal and intense for a low budget movie. Not rated highly on IMDB, but I thought it was quite good.

Truth or Dare 2013 on Prime

Another low budget winner. Truth or Dare is the YouTube series by six attention whores who like to stage the end of the dares with fake violence. Shortly after mocking
    their "biggest fan" at a live event, they find themselves isolated and hostage by him. He wants to be of the Truth or Daredevils, like them. Only he wants to play for real.
    He then makes them play the game, but with his rules. Most of the players have reprehensible secrets about them that are revealed during the game. It is also over the top
    graphic and violent. No Oscars here, but it succeeds at what it tries to do. Not for the sqeamish!

Klonk, methinks you have much to like here!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I watched Wonder Woman 1984 and wow, the Suck Fairy visited that production. Plot holes galore and one of the villains was so ludicrous I couldn't stand most of his scenes. And hell, that was an actor I liked. Utterly joyless as well, which makes me think the ever-grim DC suck fairy Zack Snyder had his fingers in this. Gadot is glorious and there's a cameo by Lynda Carter in the credits that is precious, but that's it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought it was dreadful, the happy ending was ridiculous, 50% of the people wouldn't have given up their wish and damn the consequences. The villain was awful, we needed more of Cheetah.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Truth or Dare 2013 on Prime

Another low budget winner. Truth or Dare is the YouTube series by six attention whores who like to stage the end of the dares with fake violence. Shortly after mocking
    their "biggest fan" at a live event, they find themselves isolated and hostage by him. He wants to be of the Truth or Daredevils, like them. Only he wants to play for real.
    He then makes them play the game, but with his rules. Most of the players have reprehensible secrets about them that are revealed during the game. It is also over the top
    graphic and violent. No Oscars here, but it succeeds at what it tries to do. Not for the sqeamish!

Klonk, methinks you have much to like here!
    Goin' on the list thanks! Hey man I wanted to ask you...have you seen the Beware Of Darkness doc on 80's horror films yet? It's tremendous and if you haven't seen it I'd definitely check it out. I just got part 2 today.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Weird, I really liked Wonder Woman 1984. Nothing joyless about it at all, IMO it was even further removed from the influence of Zack Snyder than the first movie was. I think maybe WW84 was too sweet at heart for some of us more jaded souls, but that's one reason why I appreciated it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Goin' on the list thanks! Hey man I wanted to ask you...have you seen the Beware Of Darkness doc on 80's horror films yet? It's tremendous and if you haven't seen it I'd definitely check it out. I just got part 2 today.
    I have not. Where do I find it? By the way, I think all 3 of the films I listed are perfect for you.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Lord Of War last night. Nicholas Cage plays an international gunrunner, and provides amusing narration to the film. Pretty good. I had not heard of the 2005 movie until I recently found the DVD at a thrift store.
    I love the remark he makes about the Kalishinakov being Russia's most popular export, along with vodka and depressing writers. "One thing's for sure, nobody's driving their cars". I also love the bit where the African guy who wanted "the weapon of Rambo", and Nic asks him from which movie. Then when the guy from the ATF shows up, Nic's like, "I assume this isn't about alcohol or tobacco?"

I had the hots for her for awhile, when I was a teenager, after seeing Nightmare On Elm Street III (as well as a B-movie called Pretty Smart), then again when she was on Medium.

And yes, it was her older sister Rosanna (the same one who was apparently also the inspiration for a certain Toto song) who had the fling with The Slipperman.

Interesting rock music ties within that family: Rosanna's connection to Toto and Gabriel, Patricia was in the Dokken Dream Warriors video, Alexis was in The Tubes' She's A Beauty video (before she transitioned, she's the boy that Fee Waybill pulls out of the crowd for the ride), and their (now former) sister in law started her career Dancing In The Dark, with The Boss (well, not in the dark, ya know, they were on a fully lit stage...but ya know, ya know what I mean).

And I still can't believe their grandfather was Charley Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I have not. Where do I find it? By the way, I think all 3 of the films I listed are perfect for you.
    You can watch the first one on Prime. It's over 4 hours long so it will keep you busy for a while . It's really awesome man and a must see if you're a fan of this time period of horror.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

She also wrote liner notes in one of the Anthony Phillips Geese & The Ghost reissues. Seems she was a pretty big Genesis fan in her youth.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought a Amazon Fire Stick for a reasonble price. Watched a 1973 Genesis concert with surround sound on Youtube (1 hour). Now watching the cartoon for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I'm going to keep exploring but I also stream Prime and there is lots to watch there.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    She also wrote liner notes in one of the Anthony Phillips Geese & The Ghost reissues. Seems she was a pretty big Genesis fan in her youth.
    That's right, she is a huge fan of The Geese And The Ghost and talks of it in glowing terms.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought a Amazon Fire Stick for a reasonable price.
    I did too... sorta. Actually, I returned a Xmas gift that was nearly the same price as the Stick; I just had to pay the sales tax ($1.71). I'm really liking it. It's not perfect but it suits my needs very well.

Two things:
    1. There's an app ("Fire TV app") you can add to your phone to enable you to use it as a remote for the Stick. It has some things the remote doesn't, the best of which is a button that pulls up all the apps you have loaded on the Stick, so switching from one to the other is a snap and it doesn't require exiting out of one to open another. That came in really handy for me as I was switching back & forth between 5 different news channels recently.

2. Don't turn off your TV without first hitting the home button on the Stick remote (or the phone app). I like falling asleep to music. So I set the timers on my TV & stereo to shut off after 30 minutes so they're not on all night. The problem I've discovered is that when I turn the TV on the next morning, there's no sound from the Stick, requiring me to restart it. It's a design flaw. One of the problems with the phone app is that you can't turn the Stick on from it. It has to be on for your phone to connect. I consider that a design flaw, as well. Oh well.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    If you hold the Home button, all your installed apps will show up.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."