Page 213 of 397 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I made a cake as a child with The Towering Inferno on top. Used a red licorice for the cable between buildings, I think.

Baby God on HBO - Fertility doc gone rouge here in Las Vegas. Hundreds of children he has. Only a few minutes in but one guy was born in 1949 so this craziness was going on for a long time.

This came to light right around the time I left here for parts unknown so I missed this story. I've seen this story on SVU and to date more than two dozen docs have been accused of secretly impregnating women.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Speaking of The Towering Inferno, I tried to watch Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson last night. I've seen some of his flicks and they can be okay at times, I like Rampage for a kaiju film. I liked it better than the last Kong Island film and Godzilla films. But Skyscraper was so fluffy in parts and cliched and unrealistic in other parts I couldn't finish it.
    Pretty much how I felt.

What made Rampage work for me was tge relationship between Johnson and the gorilla. The CGI was very well done and you believed in the character, and Johnson made you believe he was real.

Plus Jeffrey Dean Morgan as a six gun toting Texan CIA agent was the iicing on the cake.

New directors re-boot of Godfather Part III coming. This could be interesting: https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/1/21...chael-corleone

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    New directors re-boot of Godfather Part III coming. This could be interesting: https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/1/21...chael-corleone
    Thanks for the heads-up! I've never borne this film the animus that many have; it's flawed, for sure, but with some good scenes nonetheless. Doesn't sound like this new cut adds much to the legacy, but at the least it'll be a good excuse to watch the first two again in preparation. Like I ever need an excuse to watch those
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

We Bought A Zoo - This brings me to a topic, little girls. Far too much fun. I think if I had been a father with girls I would have been a good father to them. Just so damned cute and so damned funny. The "everyone thinks you're a dick" line is priceless.

A very good flick based upon real life.

The Jonah Hill flick, The Sitter IIRC, has another cool little girl. And the two daughters in that Martin Starr flick I mentioned months ago.

Anyway, good movie. Worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I've never borne this film the animus that many have; it's flawed, for sure, but with some good scenes nonetheless. Doesn't sound like this new cut adds much to the legacy, but at the least it'll be a good excuse to watch the first two again in preparation. Like I ever need an excuse to watch those
    I happened upon an interview with Copolla on TV yesterday which is the only reason I knew about. He seems to think that the new cut is more how he envisioned the film.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Underwater a truly awful alien type horror with no character development and hard to see action sequences. Set deep in the ocean on a mining vessel with crew trying to escape.
    "Under water, no one can hear you snore"
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Pretty much how I felt.

What made Rampage work for me was tge relationship between Johnson and the gorilla. The CGI was very well done and you believed in the character, and Johnson made you believe he was real.

Plus Jeffrey Dean Morgan as a six gun toting Texan CIA agent was the iicing on the cake.
    Oh no, that's based on the old video game, isn't it? It kind of looks like fun.

Watched Ron Howard's new film "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix tonight. Excellent. Highly recommended.
    I loved it. A little sappy at the end, but JD Vance's story is overall very moving. Amy Adams' performance is just a marvel and the great Glenn Close is nearly unrecognizable as the Kool-smoking "hillbilly" Mamaw who keeps the disfunctional family together throughout.

Taken 2, like the first action film with Liam Neeson, about like the first one, but an okay action film.

A Decade Under the Influence--doc on 70s films. Interviews with many directors, actors, etc. I picked up a copy at Dollar Tree for a buck.

Untamed Heart
    filmed in my hometown in the early 90's, I'd never seen this before. The story is a little contrived, but overall with Marisa Tomei and Christian Slater both being quite good, it works pretty well overall. I do wish they would have given more background on Adam's heart condition, but the director probably wanted to leave some mystery.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Unhinged - Russell Crowe as a troubled man whose road rage takes him off the deep end.

Words On Bathroom Walls - Charlie Plummer as a high school boy battling schizophrenia.

These recent arrivals at the library, though filmed pre-plague, were new to me. They may not win any awards (or they might-what do I know?), but they get the spellbound seal of approval as movies I was able to stay awake all the way through.

^ High praise indeed.

I enjoyed Unhinged. Nothing particularly new and there are a lot of contrivances that you need to look past to enjoy it. But it was very well made acted and tense.

Crowe was extremely menacing in this. His extra weight and the unkempt beard certainly made you believe in the character.

I went to the theater a couple months back to see Unhinged and I was the only one there.

I liked it, Crowe was great!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I went to the theater a couple months back to see Unhinged and I was the only one there.

I liked it, Crowe was great!
    I have been wondering about that one as it is On Demand now. I will have to check it out.

Watched Ron Howard's new film "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix tonight. Excellent. Highly recommended.
    Thanks for the recommendation. In general, I like the products that Netflix makes. I enjoy watching many of their series. Some of them do not suit me on the subject, but this is taste. I'm not saying that they are bad, but not for me. Not all films can be liked equally.

Best extra scenes in the credits or after. Some of the best were The Cannonball Run, IIRC, Dom DeLouis laughing his ass off. The Avengers, had that cool scene about shwarma(SP?)

200 Cigarettes was also cool with the Elvis Costello cameo. Always cool to see the actors lose it trying to do such silly things.

My favorite after-the-movie scenes have to be the outtakes they put with the credits in Being There.

Within the MCU (which is the poster child for credits stuff), yeah, the shwarma bit is cool, but my favorite is the one at the end of the first Iron Man movie: Mr. SHIELD tells Tony in the film that he's going off to investigate something mysterious in the desert, which every Marvel fan will assume is the Hulk, and the afterscene just shows Mjolnir there in the desert.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The 21 Jump Street and its sequels have crazy funny outakes at the end of these movies.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Don't know about that Marvel stuff, just bits and pieces I've seen of that but didn't remember the outtakes from Being There, heck I barely remember the movie as I was very young when it came out. I was like ten years old and but I did get the romance scene, which I thought was funny. I did get what sex was about but still didn't really get the (sorry) in's and out's of it, just that it happened.

My mom decided to explain the birds and the bees to me and a friend, after a viewing of Animal House. My sis was a little bit tipsy and said sure, take the kids to see it. Was that before or after Being There? Hmmm, when did I figure that stuff out...I always knew I liked girls but when did that other stuff come into the picture?

Doesn't matter just odd thoughts from the past.

Re watched The French Connection (1971) last night.

There was a deleted scene in the special features where the French hitman goes berserk on a prostitute.

A well done dark scene that would have made you loathe him even more.

Watched Midway on cable. Not bad at all considering its a Roland Emerich movie.
    Even accounting for Hollywood excess , those guys had balls. The Greatest Generation indeed.

Breakdown. Cracking conspiracy thriller with Kurt Russell and J T Walsh. Russell's wife is kidnapped in the California desert, and it looks like the locals may be responsible.

There are nods to The Hitcher, Race With The Devil and The Vanishing here.

This is a movie that was never released on blu ray, so I was happy to find it on apple TV in 4K for just a few pounds.

Yeah, I think Breakdown often gets overlooked as a suspenseful movie, and from Kurt Russell.

Punch-Drunk Love--one of Adam Sandler's better films. A quirky, romantic comedy.