Page 212 of 399 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 9952

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I think the smoking/vaping warning would be for the benefit of the parents of a younger demographic than the crusty denizens of PE.

I wish this warning existed for my house: Warning, this film contains outdated notions of sexism and misogyny that will outrage the feminist in your house and you'll hear about it throughout the entire film. I tried to watch Support Your Local Gunfighter last night and yeah, certain aspects weren't playing well with my wife.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

People smoking in more recent movies & shows seems to me to have become a thing. There was quite a long period where you didn't see it or only rarely saw it. Now, it's become almost common, like maybe it's a backlash against the anti-smoking nazis. As a longtime smoker myself, I have gotten an attitude from some people. I've discussed this with other smokers and there was a period where we were made to feel like pariahs. That seems to have dissipated of late. Or maybe I'm just not aware of those kinds of people, now.

Anyway, I do get your point about it, especially when I see someone light up only to put the cigarette out a very short time later or, as in the case of a show like Russian Doll, it seems like Natasha Lyonne lights up every time she's on screen.

Back in the day, cigarette companies paid to have actors shown smoking. Perhaps the most famous scene was Paul Henreid lighting two cigarettes at once and giving one to Bette Davis in Now, Voyager:

That scene is so ripe for parody. What is especially odd about it is that Davis doesn't even inhale and she was a lifelong smoker, herself.

Anyway, the LA Times reported in 1994 that for only 20 movies made in the late '70s to early '80s, Brown & Williamson (Lucky Strike, Pall Mall, Kool, et al) paid nearly a million dollars to actors shown smoking.

Maybe we're seeing a resurgence of tobacco product placement?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The warnings on episodes of the original Twilight Zone on Netflix carry both the "Smoking" and "Fear" warnings. Sounds like my first marriage.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Anna Faris flick is What's Your Number? Nothing special about it. Watched a pretty good rom-com last night with Emilia Clarke, Last Christmas. More than your average rom-com.

Also watched Motherless Brooklyn, Ed Norton, Alec Baldwin and others. Cool flick, Norton's a gumshoe in the '50's with Tourettes. Speaking of smoking in flicks, lots of it in this one.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I loved Motherless Brooklyn.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm with Frank Zappa, I don't need to be reminded of course language, violence, and nudity everytime I watch the Sopranos. Drop it altogether, what does one expect with a series on the mafia.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony
    The Anna Faris flick is What's Your Number?
    Don't think I've seen it because my local library does not have it. Will not likely seek it out. But thanks for letting me know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    I think the smoking/vaping warning would be for the benefit of the parents of a younger demographic than the crusty denizens of PE.
    That seems likely. My own problem with smoking comes from the smoke itself, which I seem to be intolerant of. I have nothing against smokers, or tobacco. They have yet to make a movie that causes the viewer to smell the smoke on the movie screen. So I don't really care if the movie has a smoking advisory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Lie (2018), starring Mireille Enos, Peter Sarsgaard, and Joey King. Saw this on Prime. "When their teenaged daughter confesses to impulsively killing her best friend, two desperate parents cover up the horrific crime with a web of lies and deception."

Good movie. I watched it on a recommendation and just went along for the ride. Note: it didn't score well on RottenTomatoes or on IMdB.
    Yeah, I thought it was good too.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lucky Day - Crispen Glover. After being released from prison, a safecracker tries to save his family from a contract killer who is seeking revenge. I thought Crispen had an excellent role as the psychopath with stylized violence and a interesting story. I enjoyed the 1 hour and 48 minutes. Seven out of 10 flying knives and splattering blood.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-29-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Godfather II--rewatch

I watched The Towering Inferno yesterday which I hadn't seen it since it was released. Not a good movie.

I'd forgotten Mike Lookinland was in it. He played Bobby on The Brady Bunch.

I also couldn't help but think of lines and scenes from Mad Magazine's parody of it. My favorite, which popped to mind whenever Paul Newman and Steve McQueen were on screen together, was in this one scene in the parody: Newman & McQueen are staring at each other. One says, "why are you staring at me?" And the other says, "I'm trying to figure out whose eyes are bluer. Yours or mine."

I watched The Towering Inferno yesterday which I hadn't seen it since it was released. Not a good movie.

I also couldn't help but think of lines and scenes from Mad Magazine's parody of it. My favorite, which popped to mind whenever Paul Newman and Steve McQueen were on screen together, was in this one scene in the parody: Newman & McQueen are staring at each other. One says, "why are you staring at me?" And the other says, "I'm trying to figure out whose eyes are bluer. Yours or mine."
    I was totally into those disaster movies when I was a kid. Saw Towering Inferno twice in the theater when it came out. When I watch it today......yea.......it is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Godfather II--rewatch
    Always a good one. I never get tired of Godfather I & II.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was totally into those disaster movies when I was a kid. Saw Towering Inferno twice in the theater when it came out. When I watch it today......yea.......it is pretty bad.
    I still like em even if they're bad if only because it reminds me of how into em I was as a kid. Always allstar casts. If I remember correctly, I think OJ Simpson rescues a cat?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually found myself laughing a couple of times during it. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit it was when someone went out a window and fell to their death. To defend myself, if that's possible, the first time was when a guy was on fire and you saw the guy still burning on his way down. The second time was when Jennifer Jones, Fred Astaire's love interest in it, fell through one of the windows of the "scenic" elevator and hit something on the way down and bounced off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I still like em even if they're bad if only because it reminds me of how into em I was as a kid. Always allstar casts. If I remember correctly, I think OJ Simpson rescues a cat?
    In the Cracked magazine parody, "The Towering Infernal", OJ says, "Oh my! A helpless pussy cat. I'll save you boy. Wait. Why risk carrying you through the flames? Instead I'll toss you out the window. It's a known fact that cats always land feet first."

In the next panel it shows him tossing the cat out a window and he says, "...except when they're up 91 floors." And at the bottom in big letters is the word "SPLAT!"

In another series of mini-panels it shows Steve McQueen going up in an elevator. Behind him the panel reads "5", then "75", then "2017" and the last one reads "Heaven". McQueen says, "this is a tall building."

Watched Ron Howard's new film "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix tonight. Excellent. Highly recommended.

Just saw Peppermint on Netflix. A suburban woman loses her family to cartel violence and spends the next 5 years becoming
    a weapons and fighting bad ass. Vigilante justice comes in droves!

One of the best vigilante films I've seen. Jennifer Garner was born to play this role.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Underwater a truly awful alien type horror with no character development and hard to see action sequences. Set deep in the ocean on a mining vessel with crew trying to escape.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Underwater a truly awful alien type horror with no character development and hard to see action sequences. Set deep in the ocean on a mining vessel with crew trying to escape.
    Yeah I saw this too the other night. Pretty lame Alien wannabe.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah I saw this too the other night. Pretty lame Alien wannabe.
    I loved it, and the Lovecraftian overtones. A good popcorn monster movie IMO; didn't need to be deep (even though it did have some character depth) as that wasn't really the point. I saw it in the theater back in January.

Being a reader of H.P. Lovecraft, the final act of the movie left me quite pleasantly surprised. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet though.
    Last edited by aith01; 12-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Speaking of The Towering Inferno, I tried to watch Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson last night. I've seen some of his flicks and they can be okay at times, I like Rampage for a kaiju film. I liked it better than the last Kong Island film and Godzilla films. But Skyscraper was so fluffy in parts and cliched and unrealistic in other parts I couldn't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I tried to watch Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson last night.
    But he kept eating all the popcorn and talking during the whole movie?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The thing about that always stuck in my mind about The Towering Inferno was further proof you should never hire your in-laws to work for you.

As for as disaster movies go, I always liked Earthquake and The Poseidon Adventure. If memory serves, the latter is based on a book written by Paul Gallico. Does anyone know the name of the classic prog rock album that was based on one of Gallico's other works?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As for as disaster movies go, I always liked Earthquake and The Poseidon Adventure. If memory serves, the latter is based on a book written by Paul Gallico.
    Even as a kid I didn't like Earthquake. I dug the hell out of the Sensurround FX, tho.

Does anyone know the name of the classic prog rock album that was based on one of Gallico's other works?
    Yes [The Snow Goose] and I don't know how I know that because I've never heard the album. For that matter, I've never cared for Camel, either.