Page 210 of 394 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's funny, for all the amazing movies, l like his role in The Untouchables the most. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Watching and re-watching some horror movies:
    Halloween: H20
    Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Burial Ground--cheesy Italian zombie
    Zigsaw
    Sinister
    Don't Look Now
    tonight: Hausu
    Last edited by hippypants; 10-31-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    R.I.P. Sean Connery.
    Aw fuck.
    RIP James.
    My favorite non Bond , The Anderson Tapes. Killer score to.

I never thought much of Sean Connery one way or the other until I saw him in The Hill, a very good movie in which he was excellent. He was also very good in The Untouchables and The Hunt for Red October. I also liked his bit part in Time Bandits.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

65 Greatest Horror Movies of the 21st Century--Rolling Stone

I thought Cabin Fever and Hostel were missing and better than some listed.

Goldfinger--re-watch still fun and great. cable

Zatoichi series--pretty great if you like samurai films. Some episodes on Youtube.

The Beast Must Die--British horror film, a little cheesy and dated, but an okay watch, it's on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

I am surprised at how many of those films I have not seen. I have some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Watched John Carpenter's The Thing recently. It still kicks ass and has some of the best FX ever, whether real or CGI. The paranoia is so true to life and it's got the great "You gotta be fucking kidding me" line with that creepy spider head. .
    Yeah, the spider head deal was cool. That movie some great "scare" moments. I've gotta get the DVD out and watch it again.

Those kinds of lists are always going to be problematic.

For instance, I would rate the following much higher:
    Don't Breathe (#65) Not a scary type of horror movie, but a very good movie nonetheless and should be top 20; one of the best acted movies on the list.
    Sinister (#64) One that seems to be overlooked by a lot of people; top 20 for me.
    [Rec] (#58) A top 15 movie, for sure; the American remake was almost as good.
    Paranormal Activity (#53) Belongs in the top 10, imo; lots of goose bump moments.
    The Ring (#49) Seriously?? This is top 10 material, for sure; hell, even the American remake is really good.
    Cloverfield (#40) Top 10 for me.
    Drag Me to Hell (#30) It has some really gross moments but it deserves to be ranked higher.
    The Others (#25) Definitely top 10.
    A Quiet Place (#20) Top 15, easily.
    The Witch (#10) My favorite movie on the list, but I wouldn't say it's the best horror movie on the list. I'd still bump up the ranking a bit, tho.

Others I would rank lower:
    Dawn of the Dead (#55) Meh.
    American Psycho (#52) Blah.
    Revenge (#50)
    Mandy (#47) Not sure how this made the list.
    Antichrist (#38) I really wanted to like this movie, too.
    Midsommar (#34) I would have left this off the list entirely; so disappointing. Ari Aster's Hereditary is so much better.
    Us (#18) Wow. I did not find a single thing about this scary. A very well-made movie that I found tepid.
    Annihilation (#15) 15th? No way.
    Under the Skin (#14) A really good movie but not a great horror movie, imo.
    The Descent (#13) This ranking makes me question the credibility of the authors.
    Shaun of the Dead (#12) A good movie but it's a comedy; there's nothing horrifying about it. I wouldn't have even put it on the list.
    The Cabin in the Woods (#8) No way this is top 10.
    The Conjuring (#7) What? This was average, imo. The sequel The Conjuring 2, however, was sooo much better. In fact, I'd put it top 10.
    The Babadook (#5) A good horror movie that I'm not sure deserves a top 10 spot.
    Let the Right One In (#4) I've tried watching this 3x and I can't recall if I ever finished it.
    Get Out (#1) No fucking way. Somewhere between 11 and 20 is more deserving.

Thoughts on others:
    Session 9 (#48) Was really good... up to a point. I recall being disappointed with the ending. Still worth a look.
    It Follows (#19) 19th seems a little low to me.
    Hereditary (#3) Is definitely a top 10 movie but #3?
    28 Days Later (#2) 2nd is definitely too high, even if it is a really good movie.

One I think that should be on the list is The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Lots of good goose bump moments.

Another is Hush, which would be in my top 15.

And then there's Edmond, which is like a cross between the 1993 Michael Douglas movie, Falling Down, and American Psycho. It stars William H Macy as a bit of a milquetoast who decides to change his life and ends up losing his shit. It's not scary in the least but there are moments that are really disturbing and horrifying.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Those kinds of lists are always going to be problematic.

For sure, because everybody is different and different thing unnerve and frighten us. My list would be ordered differently too, and I would have left off some of the titles, and included Hostel, which was one of the better horror films for me, along with Cabin Fever.

I'm not too much for things like:
    Under the Skin--too arty, and obtuse (although I liked Mandy, go figure).
    The Others, also was just a slow burn for me, although done well.
    Sinister, although a slow burn, done pretty well. But not something I'd revisit, which is a good litmus test for me how I feel about films I enjoyed best.

I didn't care for It Follows at all. I agree about Shaun of the Dead, huh, really? An okay film though I guess.
    I enjoyed Midsommar over Hereditary. I sort of figured out how Hereditary was going to end.

I didn't care for Cabin in the Woods either--just too much, craziness? Plus I could kind of tell where it was going.
    I hated Cloverfield just for the way it was shot, that hand-held crap makes me nauseous.
    Never cared for The Decent either.

I really liked: American Psycho, Don't Breathe, The Babadook, I Saw the Devil (serial killer, not on list?), Annihilation, The Conjuring, The Witch, Saw, Crawl (not on the list), Upgrade (I guess you could say that's SF), The House of the Devil (not on list), A Quiet Place, The Void (not on list), It remake Chapter One, The Chaser (Korean, serial killer, which I think passes as horror) and some of the others. Was Kill List on there? I thought it was okay. I'm glad they did not include Parasite--didn't they say that was horror?

For me if there's no tension or suspense there, there's not much horror even though it might be supernatural, or whatever.

The Others, also was just a slow burn for me, although done well.
    What I liked about The Others so much is that it didn't knock you over the head with the stuff they usually knock you over the head with. It also had a nice haunted house atmosphere. The only problem with that movie is once you've seen it, it won't have nearly the same impact.

Sinister, although a slow burn, done pretty well. But not something I'd revisit, which is a good litmus test for me how I feel about films I enjoyed best.
    I recall having an issue with the ending but I really liked it up to that point.

I didn't care for It Follows at all.
    Huh. I did. But then, like so many movies on this list, the ending doesn't quite live up to the build up.

I enjoyed Midsommar over Hereditary.
    Really. I thought Midsommar was like a 21st century remake of The Wicker Man, which I didn't care for at all. And I thought it was way too long.

I really liked: ...The Conjuring...
    Did you see Conjuring 2? I watched them back to back and I thought C2 was better.

I'm glad they did not include Parasite--didn't they say that was horror?
    Ditto. It won the Oscar for Best Picture and when I finally saw it, I didn't think it was that good.

For me if there's no tension or suspense there, there's not much horror even though it might be supernatural, or whatever.
    Yep. I'm mostly in agreement. Which brings me back to The Others and Midsommar. I thought TO had a lot more tension than the latter.

I just remembered another movie they left off the list and for good reason: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003). The best thing about that movie was Jessica Biel's ass.

Was Kill List on that horror list?

Alongside Hereditary and It Follows , my three favorite horrors from the last ten years.

I saw Let Him Go (2020) starring Kevin Costner and Diane Lane last night

I liked it, its a tense but slow and languid Western that takes place in the early 60s.

The two leads were fantastic.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Jessica Biel's ass That's always a positive.

I can't remember Kill List being on the list. I'll look at the list again shortly.
    Last edited by hippypants; 11-10-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Jessica Biel's ass That's always a positive.

When I first watched that movie and I saw the shot of her from the back as she walked away from the camera, I rewound a few seconds and re-watched that shot in slow motion a few times. Goddamn, that woman has an amazing body.

Um, which incredible movie are we talking about and was she sans pants?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Um, which incredible movie are we talking about and was she sans pants?
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And, no, she was not sans pants. Trust me, tho, she knows how to fill out a pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And, no, she was not sans pants. Trust me, tho, she knows how to fill out a pair of jeans.
    The white tank top did not suck either!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Jessica Biel or no, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a movie that really did not need to be remade, and especially not by Michael Bay. As they used to do it in those old analogy problems:

Michael Bay : Tobe Hooper :: Gus van Zandt : Alfred Hitchcock.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Did you see Conjuring 2? Just looked over at Netflix, I guess I haven't seen it so added it. Thanks.

Kill List was on their list. The Road, though maybe not thought of as horror per se, I enjoyed.

I added a few things: Trouble Every Day, Tigers Are Not Afraid.

I saw Swallow not long back and didn't know what to think about it. It's slow, and not typically horror, like many of these new horror films or what they regard as horror. I first thought it was going to be body horror, which it kind of is, and I had a hard time with the main character having such a charmed life, yet displeased with it personally. After it was over I thought better about the movie, but overall for me not that great.

Goodnight Mommy was interesting, although I can't quite put my finger on why...

Crimson Peak was too--sort of more arthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The white tank top did not suck either!
    No, it did not.

The Road, though maybe not thought of as horror per se, I enjoyed.
    I haven't seen the movie but the book had me seriously contemplating suicide, it was that depressing.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

We watched the documentary My Octopus Teacher on Netflix. What a gorgeous and moving film. Maybe too moving because my wife wept for the last five minutes. She's a softie when it comes to animals.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I haven't seen the movie but the book had me seriously contemplating suicide, it was that depressing.
    The movie is the same way, but those type things don't bother me. I tend to enjoy (for whatever reason) dystopian movies.

Watched Audie Murphy in To Hell And Back, about his time in WWII. My dad used to talk about Murphy, and after watching the film I see why, but they also did the same route into Italy: Casablanca, Sicily, Italy, etc.

I watched the premier of the Showtime series, Moonbase 8 with Fred Armisen, Tim Heidecker and John C. Reilly. Who couldn't stand a laugh these days, and I did a few times. About astronauts training in the desert to go to the moon.

The Upside--Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston and others. A man with disabilities gets a new aid to help him with his daily affairs. Again I enjoyed it.

The First Cow--Northern frontier life in the 19th century. Parts of this film were filmed too dark, and it was slow, but overall I liked it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

The Upside--Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston and others. A man with disabilities gets a new aid to help him with his daily affairs. Again I enjoyed it.
    I recall liking this too. I never see Bryan Cranston in other movies. I'm I missing out on anything? He's a superb actor.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)