Page 20 of 394 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All my son wants to do is watch movies on Filmstruck. Today we finished The Last Picture Show then watched Scanners and Casablanca.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    All my son wants to do is watch movies on Filmstruck. Today we finished The Last Picture Show then watched Scanners and Casablanca.
    I still wish I knew how they made Louis Del Grande's head explode. I mean, obviously his actual head didn't really explode, but I've never been able to suss out how they did that.

Side note: there's a car chase that ends with a car crashing into a record shop. Among debris in the record shop are some copies of Fripp's Exposure!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I still wish I knew how they made Louis Del Grande's head explode. I mean, obviously his actual head didn't really explode, but I've never been able to suss out how they did that.

Side note: there's a car chase that ends with a car crashing into a record shop. Among debris in the record shop are some copies of Fripp's Exposure!
    It was a latex head filled with fake blood, and they exploded it by shooting it from behind with a shotgun off camera.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Just watched Locke on Netflix last night. Starring Tom Hardy, the movie consists solely of 90 minutes of Tom Hardy driving and talking via bluetooth to various family and co-workers on a night where his life is literally falling apart. Riveting. Hardy is the only character you see. And the cinematography, with how they capture the reflections of lights at night, is incredible.

The 12th Man (2017). During WWII, a group of twelve Norwegians, trained by the British, try to enter Norway to sabotage various German military sites. Eleven of the men are captured or killed before they even get started. The twelfth tries to make his way from the west coast of Norway to neutral Sweden, helped along the way by his fellow countrymen. It's a Norwegian movie so, yes, there are subtitles.

For some reason, it reminded me a lot of Dunkirk but with less action. I can't explain why but I liked this better; altho I'm probably the only one who did. Scores on RottenTomatoes: 85% & 54%. IMDB: 7.4/10. I'd give it an 8, even if it is a bit predictable. There is one scene that is difficult to watch and the lead actor's body transformation is startling (think Christian Bale in The Machinist).

Unsane (2018). A young woman named Sawyer, who'd been previously traumatized by a stalker and is on meds because of it and occasionally hallucinates, sees a therapist. After filling out paperwork and insurance forms, she finds herself "committed".

I watched this primarily because it was directed by Steven Soderbergh, who actually used an iPhone to shoot the movie. It's good even if it doesn't entirely dispense with the cliches. What helps is that you're not sure if Sawyer is completely sane. And what really helps in the third act is that Sawyer isn't an idiot. Claire Foy (The Crown) is great in the lead. It also stars Amy Irving, Jay Pharoah (SNL), and Joshua Leonard (The Blair Witch Project). Between the movie being an indie, the length (98 minutes), and Soderbergh's direction, it felt to me like an R-rated, B-movie horror flick you'd see in the late '70s, before the slasher craze, except that it's better than that. RT scores: 80% & 57%. IMDB: 6.5. I'd give it a 7.5.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Speaking of Claire Foy we just watched an earlier film of hers: Wreckers (2011)

A married couple moves back to its childhood village to start a family, but a surprise visit from the husband's brother ignites sibling rivalry and exposes lies embedded in the couple's relationship.
    A subdued and lush film, with uncomfortable silences. It did not go the way I thought it would and despite one plot thread that did not get resolved at all, I couldn't get the film out of my head.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watching The Princess Bride with my kids, who have never seen it. So many great lines.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm watching The Owl And The Pussycat. Sheezuz, Barbara rocks in this film. I honestly don't give 2 shits about her singing but damn she's hot in this flick. She is a good actress.

^ She was a spectacular voice, Vic. Her accolades were earned. Every one.

This^^^ And she can still sing her ass off at my age!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching The Owl And The Pussycat. Sheezuz, Barbara rocks in this film. I honestly don't give 2 shits about her singing but damn she's hot in this flick. She is a good actress.
    I thought I was the only one. I saw What's Up, Doc when it first came out and I was infatuated with her for quite awhile after that. She had an ornery, playful sexuality in that movie I just loved. It's still my favorite role (and movie) of hers.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Mr. Creosote is only funny because of John Cleese, you guys do know that, right?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ She was a spectacular voice, Vic. Her accolades were earned. Every one.
    I should have said I don't really care for her music. Yes, her voice is spectacular. Now, otoh, what a body on her (back then). And I kinda like her shnozzola too. To me she was very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Mr. Creosote is only funny because of John Cleese, you guys do know that, right?
    And the absurdity of it all, which is a major part of Python humor.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mr. Creosote is only funny because of John Cleese...
    No, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    No, it isn't.
    Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That was never five minutes just then!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    That was never five minutes just then!
    Nor was there an argument.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saw two low budget horror films on Netflix last night..
    Ghost House
    Young couple travels to Thailand for a vacation. Throughout the country, they see a lot of little birdhouse sized houses
    that the locals call ghost houses. They light incense and candles in them to keep the ghost who might be there happy.
    The female half of the couple is a camera freak and becomes obsessed with shooting these little houses. Through no fault of her own, she
    pisses off one of the ghosts, and the terror begins. Pretty good for what it was.

Bedeviled

Its the coolest new A I app that the kids have to have. It seemingly knows everything about you. The Bedeviler ( who the app calls himself)
    is helpful and amusing at first. In a short time, he becomes rather malevolent and uses the users biggest fears against him/her in an effort
    to frighten them to death. Interesting take on the teens in trouble genre of horror.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Watched Dreamscape last night. I was thinking it has been quite a few years since I last saw it, which I suppose could be interpreted as being true, but once I started thinking aobut it, I remember commenting in the old IMDB board for that movie, so it still must have been relatively recent that I last saw it.

Anyhow, great movie, possibly the best picture, conventionally speaking, that Dennis Quaid was ever in (I'd still rate Jaws 3 above this one, but that's due to my own warped perception of certain matters, in the same way that I enjoy watching a lot of those of Golan/Globus productions from the same era). It's certainly the best movie Kate Capshaw was ever in (she's good looking, but she's no Bess Armstrong), and it continued Max Von Sydow's then current trend of picking just plain weird movies to be in (well, weird for a guy who used to work with Ingmar Bergman, and who once played Jesus Christ), following the mighty Flash Gordon and the underrated by hilarious Strange Brew (in the latter, Sydow utters the classic line, "What in the stink can they be doing in there?!", and is also introduced to the audience, as he's coming out of the john). Christopher Plummer and David Patrick "WARRIORS! COME OUT TO PLA-AY!" Kelly are also in it.

For those who've never seen it, basic plot synopsis, a psychic (who's recently been making big money predicting horse race results), gets pulled into an experimental program where people are being inserted into the dreams of others. The doctor doing the experiments intends to use it for therapeutic purposes, but the government sleaze overseer wants to use the psychics as assassins. Good movie, well worth seeing it, if you've never done so.

Funny thing is, watching it this time, I thought there was some similarities to A Nightmare On Elm Street, vis-a-vs the whole thing of entering another person's dreams for the purpose of murdering them. Also, in one scene, David Patrick Kelly (oh, c'mon, if you recognize the above quote, you know he's going to be one of the antagonists in this picture) grows blades on the end of his fingertips (kinda similar to the gloves worn by Freddie Kruger) for the purposes of killing someone. Curious...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched Dreamscape last night. I was thinking it has been quite a few years since I last saw it, which I suppose could be interpreted as being true, but once I started thinking aobut it, I remember commenting in the old IMDB board for that movie, so it still must have been relatively recent that I last saw it.

Anyhow, great movie, possibly the best picture, conventionally speaking, that Dennis Quaid was ever in (I'd still rate Jaws 3 above this one, but that's due to my own warped perception of certain matters, in the same way that I enjoy watching a lot of those of Golan/Globus productions from the same era). It's certainly the best movie Kate Capshaw was ever in (she's good looking, but she's no Bess Armstrong), and it continued Max Von Sydow's then current trend of picking just plain weird movies to be in (well, weird for a guy who used to work with Ingmar Bergman, and who once played Jesus Christ), following the mighty Flash Gordon and the underrated by hilarious Strange Brew (in the latter, Sydow utters the classic line, "What in the stink can they be doing in there?!", and is also introduced to the audience, as he's coming out of the john). Christopher Plummer and David Patrick "WARRIORS! COME OUT TO PLA-AY!" Kelly are also in it.

For those who've never seen it, basic plot synopsis, a psychic (who's recently been making big money predicting horse race results), gets pulled into an experimental program where people are being inserted into the dreams of others. The doctor doing the experiments intends to use it for therapeutic purposes, but the government sleaze overseer wants to use the psychics as assassins. Good movie, well worth seeing it, if you've never done so.

Funny thing is, watching it this time, I thought there was some similarities to A Nightmare On Elm Street, vis-a-vs the whole thing of entering another person's dreams for the purpose of murdering them. Also, in one scene, David Patrick Kelly (oh, c'mon, if you recognize the above quote, you know he's going to be one of the antagonists in this picture) grows blades on the end of his fingertips (kinda similar to the gloves worn by Freddie Kruger) for the purposes of killing someone. Curious...
    48 hours ; Murphy tells David Patrick ," I bet that really hurt Luther" , right after he opens a car door into him. For whatever reason that's the scene in 48 Hours most memorable to me. Patrick also was a baddie in a Swatzaneger film , was he ever a good guy?
    Quaid was in a good flic I think American Flyer , bike racing ,townies vs college snobs. He was very young . He could have made better role choices for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Quaid was in a good flic I think American Flyer , bike racing ,townies vs college snobs. He was very young . He could have made better role choices for sure.
    I think you're thinking of Breaking Away, which is a very good flick.

American Flyer was Kevin Costner
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

D Quaid I thought was very good in The Right Stuff as Gordon Cooper, probably played it a bit over the top, but I think that may be his best role. Decent in Day After Tomorrow, Innerspace. Also in a bunch of sports movies (ala Costner), and he did play Jerry Lee Lewis in his bio. He's been in a lot of movies which tried to be blockbusters but end up being 2nd tier type movies, and relies too much on that good ol boy aww shucks grin to carry him.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Innerspace.
    That was kind of a lame movie. Bad knock off of Fantastic Voyage, played for laughs, and starring Martin Short, who I generally don't like.

SO you guys name a lot of movies that Quaid were in, in terms of film making, yeah, I suppose The Right Stuff or something like that would have to be a 'good movie" but in terms of entertainment, or any of them really better than Dreamscape or Jaws 3?!