Page 19 of 394 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My favorite bit in The Meaning of Life is the finishing school with Cleese and his wife providing a sex education lesson. But, the part before she enters the room when he's teaching about foreplay.
    And since we've been on the subject recently - you'll note that his wife is played by Patricia Quinn who was Magenta in Rocky Horror!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And since we've been on the subject recently - you'll note that his wife is played by Patricia Quinn who was Magenta in Rocky Horror!
    That's Lady Patricia to you, sir! Seriously, she's a Lady, in the proper sense, back in the 90's she married Sir Robert Stephens. I think Wikipedia gives her full name as "Patricia Quinn, Lady Stephens".

I guess it's been awhile since i've seen The Meaning Of Life in it's entirety, because I'd totally forgotten that (or more probably, didn't know it in the first place). But I also had forgotten (or more likely, didn't know in the first place) that she was in Dragonfire, which was actually one of my favorites of the late 80's Doctor Who stories.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Me too. Oftentimes the ‘story behind the story’ is the best part.

“Hearts of Darkness” is a feature length making-of about the disastrous production of “Apocalypse Now.” “Burden Of Dreams” is about the incredible difficulties encountered making “Fitzcarraldo.” “Lost Soul” is about the unbelievable twists and turns making “The Island of Dr. Moreau.”
    I'd completely forgot that there was a 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau movie, and have never seen it. Richard Stanley, the first director, directed the film of Marillion's "Brave" (which I didn't like. His film "Hardware" was pretty lame too. Now I'll have to check out this docu, and probably the movie itself, which I'm guessing isn't good. I love the book, but the movies never really do it justice. The old b&w "Island of Lost Souls" is at least atmospheric - I should see it again, really, can't remember it too well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: The Meaning Of Life,

My favorite bit is still the dinner party, particularly that loooooong pause after one of th eguests how it is tha tall of them are dying at th esame time. It's almost like Death had expected his authority to be challenged on the matter, and had to think of an answer.

"The salmon mousse!"
    And then as they're leaving, one of the women says, "I didn't even eat the mousse."

As for Mr. Creosote, actually, my favorite bit is the fish seeing him come in, "HOLY SHIT! It's Mr. Creosote!" and they all take cover, like they know what's coming.
    Those fish were awesome. One of the best bits in the movie. And I love their enthusiasm after seeing the bizarre Find the Fish skit.

But ya know what? My favorite Monty Python thing is still The Spanish Inquisition, particularly when they start "torturing" the old lady by jabbing at her with a pillow.
    Mine is this, six minutes of cannibalism:

That last line is absolutely brilliant: "Look, tell you what. We'll eat her. If you feel a bit guilty about it afterwards, we can dig a grave and you can throw up in it."

BTW, the audience booing and then rushing the actors at the end was staged. It was because the BBC censors wasn't going to allow them to air the skits. Having the audience show their disapproval was the compromise.

My other favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    OMG. I always wondered why I recognized her.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The old b&w "Island of Lost Souls" is at least atmospheric - I should see it again, really, can't remember it too well.
    Yes, you should. TCM will be showing it during their Halloween fest. It's on October 28 at 8:00 pm EST.

Charles Laughton is great in that, which should be no surprise, since he was terrific in just about any role.

That scene at the end when he gets attacked is pretty intense. Especially for 1932. Fun movie.

If anyone noticed, I can't really comment on new movies, since I have been to the theater, maybe, once in the last ten years. Now, you wanna talk old flicks, then I'm in.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If anyone noticed, I can't really comment on new movies, since I have been to the theater, maybe, once in the last ten years. Now, you wanna talk old flicks, then I'm in.

I definitely hadn't noticed. I only go to the movie theater once or twice a year, but I see newer movies via Blu Ray, DVD, Netflix, etc.

They have this new thing now.

You can rent, or buy, movies and play them at home on your TV. I shit you not.

They have this new thing now.

You can rent, or buy, movies and play them at home on your TV. I shit you not.
    Did it ever occur to you that I have little to no interest in most of them, wise ass?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I haven't been to the theater much in the last 20 or so years either. In that context, I've seen:

The Lord Of The Rings
    trilogy (saw the midnight premiere of the third movie, sitting next to a guy who get chuckling, like a single staccato "heh!" in the most inappropriate times)
    Freebird: The Movie (Skynyrd documentary/concert film)
    Fantasia 2000 (sitting in front of a man who kept talking to his two little kids during the film, like it never occurred to him that other people didn't play to listen to talk incessantly)
    The Grateful Dead Movie (I believe the first of the annual "A Night Out With The Dead" or whatever Fathom Events calls their annual thing of showing a Grateful Dead related program, for one night only)

Oh, and there was that Yes documentary from about 15 or so years ago, the one narrated by Roger Daltrey, another "one night only" thing, after the documentary they showed the supposedly live acoustic performance.

One issue is, most the theaters around me have closed. During the 80's and early 90's, there were four or five movie theaters within walking distance of our house (well, if you consider a mile and a half to be "walking distance"). Besides that, there were another two or three theaters that were within about an hour's bus ride from here.

The Cedar Center theater closed circa 2000 (about 7 years later, they finally torn and rebuilt that entire side of the street). The theater at Severance Center closed about 3 years (I think Severance Center is circling the drain, in general). I think the Center Mayfield (the last real, authentic, non-shopping mall type theater in the area) closed in the late 90's, and the building was re-purposed for a long time (for awhile, part of it was a Blockbuster, and I think another part was a day care center) but that entire block got torn down a year or two ago. I'm not sure if that theater on Coventry and Euclid Heights Blvd still operates as a theater, but they at least still have the big marquee out front. And Randall Park Mall closed down a number of years ago (I believe there's talk that location is going to be turned into a Amazon Store), and I think at least the theater at Southgate USA also closed, if not the entire shopping plaza.

That basically leaves only a handful of real options:

1. the Cedar Lee Theater, which only shows indie films, documentaries, "art house" pictures, foreign films, etc (I used to work in a restaurant in the same block, and whenever a new John Waters, Michael Moore, or Werner Herzog picture came out, we were guaranteed to be inundated on Friday night with idiots who'd walk into a packed house and say "Our movie starts in 20 minutes, can you put a rush on our food?!". Assholes!)

2. the Richmond and Eastgate malls, which are each about an hour away on the bus, longer if I were to go on Saturday or Sunday (I'd have to take at least two buses to go to either).

3. Going all the way down to Tower City, which is in the heart of downtown Cleveland. Though it's actually further away than either Richmond or Eastgate, the traveling might actually take less time, given that I live one street over from the 32 bus line, which will take me right to the University Circle rail station, and I can ride the rail the rest of the way, taking about the same amount of time as going to Richmond or Eastgate.

But to tell you the truth, a lot of movies just don't look "good enough" for me to spend 10 bucks on. And even when something comes along that I'm interested in seeing, I don't have anyone to go to the movies with anymore, and I just don't enjoy going by myself. And from the last few times I was in a theater, I get the feeling that movie audiences are just a lot ruder than I used to be.

Anymore, I wait for stuff to either come on one of the premium channels (we have the full Showtime/The Movie Channel package, plus the Starz/Encore package, and we also get IFC, which last time I checked, still showed movies uncensored, though they do stick commercials in them now, and I think also they leave out the closing credits...actually, the premium channels are doing that now too).

Did it ever occur to you that I have little to no interest in most of them, wise ass?
    Well, ya sorta walked into this one.

I see new movies in a theater several times a year, but that is about it. There are certain movies that I want to have the full big screen premium sound experience. BladeRunner 2049, The Revenant, Fury, Dunkirk, the Star Wars movies for example. And I don't mind going to movies alone sometimes, I am pretty picky about the type of screen and theater I want to be in, there is a premium mega screen with all the latest sound system bells and whistles near me, and seeing something like BladeRunner on it was amazing. I try to pick times when the theater is not busy like later at night on a weekday so it minimizes teen/20 something crowd gabbing and gives some cushion between seats etc. (nothing worse than being sandwiched between people gabbing throughout the movie, checking their phone constantly, or hacking up a lung every few minutes). But I also like to see classic older movies once in awhile in a very cool preserved historic old theater that shows retrospectives and will sometimes screen epics like Lawrence of Arabia, Strangelove or Hitchcock movies etc., even though I have them on DVD/blu ray, to get that theater experience.

Our theater choices are limited because we live in West Bumbuck, so we rarely see anything outside the home any more. I finally saw Dunkirk on HBO a couple weeks ago and found it riveting. Whatever was lost converting the film to our screen was compensated by getting the sound right and having subtitles for those English accents. I thought it was an extraordinary piece of work, one of Nolan's best.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Well, ya sorta walked into this one.
    Not really. Unless, by that you mean, I merely commented, since some people can't refrain from being a wise ass.

Not really. Unless, by that you mean, I merely commented, since some people can't refrain from being a wise ass.
    By saying this:

...it leaves the reader with the conclusion that the only way to catch a new movie is going to see it at the movie theater.

Look, it's no big deal.

Well, obviously you don't.

But seriously -- how do you know? Arguing from ignorance is never a strength position.

Arguing from ignorance is never a strength position.
    To be fair, without this, PE would be a very lonely and boring place.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Which is why I get so excited when I "discover" a new to me classic era film. They're out there still.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    "There's the high lob, Lou's going up for it, and...slam dunk!! Oh my god, he brought the backboard down!" <the crowd goes wild>

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But damn, I am sick of the senior avenger genre.
    Angry Patriarch Films presents...
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree with you, Hal..., that the combination of comedy and horror is very difficult to pull off. I'm not sure there are any other horror movies that have combined the two and really worked for me. Some might think the Evil Dead films, but the "humor" in those films was very annoying. I only saw the first two. As I recall there wasn't a lot of comedy in the first one (was there any?), but the second was really unwatchable.

For the most part only unintentional comedy works in horror films.
    I got a real kick out of Evil Dead 2.

Shaun of the Dead is a stone cold classic.

If anyone missed What We Do in the Shadows, it is well worth your time to remedy this.

Last edited by notallwhowander; 08-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    By saying this:

...it leaves the reader with the conclusion that the only way to catch a new movie is going to see it at the movie theater.

Look, it's no big deal.
    I agree. It's no big deal. It's a bit of a leap, but, whatever. I didn't think I was inferring anything, except that I don't find many newer movies interesting enough to see.

Well, obviously you don't.

But seriously -- how do you know? Arguing from ignorance is never a strength position.
    What the hell are you talking about?! The ignorance, my friend, is all yours. You know nothing about me. I am well aware of what movies come out. I see all the hype ad nauseam and have teenage and young adult daughters. I don't live in a fucking cave. I simply haven't found many recent movies interesting enough to go out of my way to see. I'm not into most of what makes many of today's movies sell tickets. And I don't rent or stream movies.

So stick your eye roll go yell at some kids to get off your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Which is why I get so excited when I "discover" a new to me classic era film. They're out there still.
    Yeah, very true. There's a lot of stuff I skipped during the first 30 or so years of my life, simply because they weren't in a genre that i was interested in. So in the last 15-20 yeras, I've tried to remedy that as much as I can, by keeping my eye on the schedules at TCM and other channels that carry that sort of stuff. You wouldn't believe how many Alfred Hitchcock movies I've seen for the first time in the last couple years, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, very true. There's a lot of stuff I skipped during the first 30 or so years of my life, simply because they weren't in a genre that i was interested in. So in the last 15-20 yeras, I've tried to remedy that as much as I can, by keeping my eye on the schedules at TCM and other channels that carry that sort of stuff. You wouldn't believe how many Alfred Hitchcock movies I've seen for the first time in the last couple years, for instance.
    Agreed.

Unfortunately, more than half of all the movies made before 1955 are lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    If anyone missed What We Do in the Shadows, it is well worth your time to remedy this.

This movie is hilarious!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak