Page 198 of 394 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 4,926 to 4,950 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Kentucky Fried Movie (1978)

Could NOT get away with this anymore! One of the original satire films. Directed by John Landis
    I'm not sure what you mean by "original satire films" since satirical films had been around for decades by then.

But yeah, there's stuff in that movie they probably wouldn't let you do now.

"You'll be scared SHITLESS by That's Armageddon!"

Don't forget: Big Jim Slade!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Could NOT get away with this anymore! One of the original satire films. Directed by John Landis
    And written by the same guys who made Airplane! and Police Squad! Yeah, there are a lot of things in it that are offensive.

I saw KFM at the drive-in when it was first released, part of a double feature with The Groove Tube.

My favorite bits are "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble" (the chick getting plowed in the shower kills me), the commercial for the board game "Scot Free", the commercial for United Appeal for the Dead (Henry Gibson at his deadpan best), and "Eyewitness News" (with the young couple making out on the couch). Of course, the movie "A Fistful of Yen" is pretty good, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

That also makes me think of The Groove Tube, Ken Shapiro's project.

There is a sketch where he plays a TV clown and he asks the children to send the adults out of the room for a 'special time' kind of thing. Then he takes off his clown wig and nose and proceeds to read from a dirty novel.

Definitely would not get away with that today.

It's not The Craw , it's The Craw!!

God bless John Landis. I still love Schlock It started the careers not only of Landis but of creature makeup wiz Rick Baker (who designed and built the Schlock costume, plus work for Planet of the Apes (2001), Men in Black, "Thriller", How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Hellboy...

...oh, and the original Star Wars trilogy.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    It's not The Craw , it's The Craw!!
    Sorry about that, Chief.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    That also makes me think of The Groove Tube, Ken Shapiro's project.

There is a sketch where he plays a TV clown and he asks the children to send the adults out of the room for a 'special time' kind of thing. Then he takes off his clown wig and nose and proceeds to read from a dirty novel.

Definitely would not get away with that today.
    Forgot about this one!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All of the stuff in the last couple pages of wistful nostalgia are in just about every episode of Family Guy and the other SM cartoons, and all over the dial if you're looking. I figured using 'dial' is more appropriate to this discussion.

I wish I could remember KFM but that was 32 years ago and I was ten. Wasn't there an interview in there where the microphone went into the goldfish bowl? I seem to remember that being funny but at ten years old I doubt I got any of that movie.

Ad Astra - Really boring. It did nothing, it went nowhere. Maybe I missed the point but there seemed to be none.

Dr. Sleep - Good up until the end, which sucked. They tried to play the books and the Kubrick version of The Shining together and it didn't quite work. Ok, but not quite there.

Long Shot - Seth Rogan, Charlize Theron - ok, but had a great line:

"What's your favorite sex position?:

"It's too complicated to explain".

Yeah, I wanna know what that position is. Like what was it that Jane Lynch did in A Mighty Wind that the other actresses wouldn't do. Saw one in the new Perry Mason that was well, uncomfortable, to say the least but don't think it fits the bill.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Finally saw Joker last night. I didn't have any desire to see it when it was released and especially after some of the hype. It did not sound like the kind of movie I would like.

All I'll say is this: Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar was well deserved as was Hildur Guđnadóttir's for Best Original Score. I still need to see Parasite, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and a few others to judge, but my gut feeling is Joker got robbed for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Ready or Not

Grace just married into a mega wealthy family that made its fortunes mostly in the game industry. Family tradition states that at midnight of the wedding day, the new family member
    must play a game with the entire family that they pick from a deck of cards. Poor Grace. She picked Hide and Seek, which happens to be the worst card of all. Can she stay alive until
    dawn to win?

This was very entertaining. Lots of suspense, violence, horror, and comedy. Highly recommended!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Ready or Not was a great flick. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Flukt (Escape). Scandinavian film from 2012. English subtitles. Set in Medieval times, but not dealing with any specifically historical issues, this film involves the reaction of a teenage girl to an attack on her family, and the events that follow from that. I usually post when a film is worth watching, and this one is riveting. Gripping emotional content, beautifully filmed, and well acted. I'm a fan of movies of this time period, but the time is mostly incidental. A fairly short movie, but as I said, gripping. A must see.

8 out of 10 carved toys.

The Old Guard

Netflix original. Andy (Charlize Theron) leads a group of five who are all immortal(ish). All are very advanced killing machines who pick their battles
    to extend justice to the deserved. Nile is a young African American marine who just gruesomely found out that she too can not be killed. Andy and
    her group are attached to her through their dreams, and set out to find her and explain what is happening to her.

Very entertaining action movie! Charlize is excellent, as is most of the cast Definitely worth seeing.

Alita: Battle Angel--taken from the manga/ anime. About a young cyborg woman. Amazing what they can do with computers these days. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Alita: Battle Angel--taken from the manga/ anime. About a young cyborg woman. Amazing what they can do with computers these days. I enjoyed it.

The Lodge (2020)

New horror flick streaming on Hulu, similar in vibe and atmosphere to the much superior Hereditary (2018)

Enjoy the dread!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I forgot to mention that Flukt is on Amazon Prime.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I forgot to mention that Flukt is on Amazon Prime.
    I'lll check it out to see if we have it up here in the great while north.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Finally saw Joker last night. I didn't have any desire to see it when it was released and especially after some of the hype. It did not sound like the kind of movie I would like.

All I'll say is this: Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar was well deserved as was Hildur Guđnadóttir's for Best Original Score. I still need to see Parasite, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and a few others to judge, but my gut feeling is Joker got robbed for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay.
    This is one of the few years that I saw all of the nominated films and they were all really really good. If i remember correctly "Parasite" won. I have no issue with it as that was another outstanding film. I have said this here before, but 2019 was really one of the best years for theatrical releases in a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This is one of the few years that I saw all of the nominated films and they were all really really good. If i remember correctly "Parasite" won. I have no issue with it as that was another outstanding film. I have said this here before, but 2019 was really one of the best years for theatrical releases in a long long time.
    I remember you saying that.

What I liked about Joker so much was the pacing and tone and the lack of excessive, over the top violence; it reminded me a lot of the excellent Drive (2011 movie with Ryan Gosling) in that sense.

Both are sort of like neo Taxi Drivers, another excellent movie.

A couple of movies on Prime.

Vivarium (2020). Sci-fi movie with Jesse Eisenberg. Interesting premise. Good acting. Not as good as I hoped. B

7500 (2020). "When terrorists try to seize control of a Berlin to Paris flight, a soft-spoken young American co-pilot (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) struggles to save the lives of the passengers and crew while forging a surprising connection with one of the hijackers." Gordon-Levitt does his usual excellent job but the movie wasn't all that. I'll give it a B+ rather than a B due to my interest in aviation.