Page 196 of 394 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP Ian Holm.
    ^ Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Watched the Coen brothers' Hail, Caesar! last night. While (IMO of course) not their best by a long shot, it had some very funny moments. Josh Brolin is great as the earnest studio "fixer", and George Clooney's rather understated performance is perfect, as he doesn't completely steal the show as is often the case. The scenes where the 'communist' writers are talking amongst themselves, trying to convince the Clooney character of the rightness of their position are hilarious. And befitting a movie about Hollywood, pretty much every lined actor is someone you say "where have I seen him/her before?" about. At just 1' 45", it was a nice way to spend a work night "at" the movies.
    Saw that one in the theater when it came out. Not a classic Coen film, but a good one.

The "No Dames" bit in Hail, Caesar was an inspired musical scene. Not as good as the ones in O Brother, but still pretty freaking funny.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The "No Dames" bit in Hail, Caesar was an inspired musical scene. Not as good as the ones in O Brother, but still pretty freaking funny.
    "Hey! This place looks open!"

As far as comedic dance numbers go, right up there with "The French Mistake".
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Knives Out (2019).

Acclaimed writer and director Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Star Wars: The Last Jedi) pays tribute to mystery mastermind Agatha Christie in KNIVES OUT, a fun, modern-day murder mystery where everyone is a suspect. When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death. With an all-star ensemble cast including Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette, Don Johnson, and Michael Shannon, KNIVES OUT is a witty and stylish whodunit guaranteed to keep audiences guessing until the very end. (RottenTomatoes)

I made a mental note to see this when it was first released. I noticed recently that it was on Amazon Prime and finally watched it last night. It's not what I expected. I expected some sort of a classic mystery where the detective is shown questioning suspects and going through the process of determining the killer with a big reveal at the end. I also expected this to be a comedy, but not something silly like Murder by Death or Clue, something more literate like Gosford Park or something by the Coens.

The cons:
    • It's not entirely what you'd expect. In fact, the comment "[a] whodunit guaranteed to keep audiences guessing until the very end", while true, is not what you think it means because long before the denouement... I think to say any more would be a spoiler.
    • Daniel Craig's accent. He sounds like he's from the Carolinas or Louisiana. He actually does an admirable job at it. The problem is I know he's English and to hear him speak, repeatedly yanked me out of the immersion in the story. A bad choice by the director, imo.
    • It felt like it took a little too long to draw me in.

The pros:
    • Literally, everything else.

By the time I finished it, I thought, "that was a good movie." And the ending was pretty much perfect, I thought.

On RottenTomatoes, 97% of critics and 92% of the audience liked it. On IMdB its score is 7.9. That's way too low, imo.

As mentioned in the synopsis, Johnson also wrote and directed Brick (starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Looper (starring Bruce Willis and Gordon-Levitt). If you haven't seen either, do.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

• Daniel Craig's accent. He sounds like he's from the Carolinas or Louisiana. He actually does an admirable job at it. The problem is I know he's English and to hear him speak, repeatedly yanked me out of the immersion in the story. A bad choice by the director, imo.
    That struck me as well, but my biggest problem is that every time his character's name was mentioned, Benoit Blanc, I kept thinking of John Leguizamo in "Carlito's Way" playing Benny Blanco from the Bronx.

I wondered if any has watched Tales from the Loop' is a TV series based on the sci-fi artwork of Swede Simon Stålenhag.
    Placing robots in rural landscapes, he creates spine-chillingly eerie images – 'like Polaroids from a childhood we never had in the future', one critic wrote. The series premieres in the UK and the US today, on Amazon Prime Video.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I wondered if any has watched Tales from the Loop' is a TV series based on the sci-fi artwork of Swede Simon Stålenhag.
    Placing robots in rural landscapes, he creates spine-chillingly eerie images – 'like Polaroids from a childhood we never had in the future', one critic wrote. The series premieres in the UK and the US today, on Amazon Prime Video.

I'vew got it in my "watch list" on Amazon Prime. It looks like it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I wondered if any has watched Tales from the Loop... The series premieres in the UK and the US today, on Amazon Prime Video.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'vew got it in my "watch list" on Amazon Prime. It looks like it would be good.
    It premiered April 3. I think I watched only half the episodes. I loved the idea of it and really wanted to like it but found it tepid at best and boring at worst.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We baled on it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This looks quirky and in this world, I need some quirky.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    It premiered April 3. I think I watched only half the episodes. I loved the idea of it and really wanted to like it but found it tepid at best and boring at worst.
    Sorry to hear it. I'm like that with a lot of series and TV stuff. Some can sustain my interest (X-Files, Twilight Zone, Breaking Bad, etc.) but a lot of doesn't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^

Korean comedy: My Sassy Girl (2001)

Pretty funny and (to me) unique twist on the romantic-comedy style. Boy befriends abusive girl, played for laughs. Very good acting by Tae-Hyun Cha and the beautiful Ji-Hyun Jun. During a time when Hollywood seems to have put a corona-hold on making new movies, my library has been obtaining some very entertaining foreign films to fill the void. This one was new to me.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Knives Out. Whodunit reminisent of old Agatha Chrysty adaptations with ensemble cast of known actors. Nostalgic enough for me to be entertaining. Well done , I figured out the murderer early on. More suspension of disbelief at the end than Id like but over all satisfying. There was mention above of a dislike of Daniel Craig's southern accent. I wasnt bothered , I thought he was pretty good. He did southern in Logan Lucky, a Nascar hiest film. That one was pretty good to.

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Just got the Bluray.

This one never gets old, and the Jerry Goldsmith score keeps getting better!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - An Iranian vampire spaghetti western. Brilliant!

Special features on the DVD include the director interviewed by Roger Corman.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Just got the Bluray.

In my top 10.
    I have the Goldsmith soundtrack cd. Need a listen.

Just got the Bluray.

I loved all of the "Apes" movies back in the day, but the first one was by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
    This one was a pleasant surprise.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Pulse (2001) - Japanese horror movie about ghosts inhabiting the internet and invading the human world. Not played for big jump scares, but for a continuous creepiness and dread, at which it succeeds. I liked it.

revisited Almost Famous (2000).

It does hold up, although it's a little long per the last 3rd of the movie seems to drag a bit.

The biggest reason I watched this is a lot of cast and cameos. Jimmy Fallon, Jay Baruchel, Eric Stonestreet, Rainn Wilson and many others I honestly had no idea were in this when I 1st saw it almost 20 years ago.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 06-29-2020 at 11:26 PM.

To Live and Die in LA (1985)

An 80s crime noir by William Friedkin rewatch, most notable for an excellent early Willem Dafoe role and a pretty amazing car chase.

Wang Chung provided the catchy title track, but should have left the rest of the soundtrack to someone else.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

To Live and Die in LA (1985)

An 80s crime noir by William Friedkin rewatch, most notable for an excellent early Willem Dafoe role and a pretty amazing car chase.

Wang Chung provided the catchy title track, but should have left the rest of the soundtrack to someone else.
    A great car chase, and one of the few that actually has plot going on at the same time, rather than just an excuse foe an action sequence.

I actually really like the soundtrack, its typically 80s in its use of synths and electronic drums, but very effective I thought.