Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #426
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,237
    Cmon...no love for Doctor Detroit? Spies Like Us?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  2. #427
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Neighbours in the theater. It's hard to recall all the details from thirty years ago but there is a scene where Belushi's face is covered in a black substance or mud or something that I laughed so hard I was crying. It has to be one of the best belly laughs I have had at the movies. That five minutes was actually worth the price of admissions. For the rest, I can't remember the plot.
    I remember the plot, pretty well, and a few individual moments. But that one doesn't ring a bell.

    The hardest I've ever laughed in a movie was during the scene with Mr Cresote, the enormously fat guy, in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  3. #428
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I remember the plot, pretty well, and a few individual moments. But that one doesn't ring a bell.

    The hardest I've ever laughed in a movie was during the scene with Mr Cresote, the enormously fat guy, in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
    I thought it was mud but I know he was in a dark room or basement and surprised someone. It might have been the drugs (lol) clouding my memory.

    The Meaning of Life was hilarious and the scene with the fat guy where the waiter says, "try one more pieces" and the fat guy responds, "fuck off" was very funny.

  4. #429
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought it was mud but I know he was in a dark room or basement and surprised someone. It might have been the drugs (lol) clouding my memory.

    The Meaning of Life was hilarious and the scene with the fat guy where the waiter says, "try one more pieces" and the fat guy responds, "fuck off" was very funny.
    And what will you be having today Mr Creasote?

    I'll have the lot.

  5. #430
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Neighbours in the theater. It's hard to recall all the details from thirty years ago but there is a scene where Belushi's face is covered in a black substance or mud or something that I laughed so hard I was crying. It has to be one of the best belly laughs I have had at the movies. That five minutes was actually worth the price of admissions. For the rest, I can't remember the plot.

    The plot was really nothing more than Belushi (Earl) this time playing the straight man to the wacky Aykroyd as Aykroyd and his sexy wife (Cathy Moriarity) move in next door in a quiet suburban cul de sac. Aykroyd does all kinds of goofy and bizarre things and Moriarity keeps coming on to the staid, straight laced Earl. At one point Earl accidently sinks Aykroyd's car into a swampy pond behind their houses, and Earl is all muddy and washes himself off down in his basement etc (the scene you're thinking of). It's bizarre and off beat enough that it is still worth a viewing every now and then, but its one of those movies that never seems to be shown on any of the movie channels (I have an old DVD).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-01-2018 at 03:44 PM.

  6. #431
    Neighbors?

    "Put the coffee powder back in the coffee cup!"

    I've seen it a few times over the years. It's a decent picture, for my tastes, though, maybe a step down from most of Belushi's other pictures. I saw a documentary on him on TV quite a few years back, where they were interviewing his brother Jim, and they got up to talking about Neighbors, and Jim says he talked to John on the phone at the time they were making it, and he says John said "Everything's going great, apart from the fact that the script isn't ready, the cast is all wrong, and the director doesn't know what he's doing". Apparently, John wanted the director fired and replaced by either himself, Aykroyd or John Landis.

    But like I said, I thought it came out alright. I love the scene of Aykroyd cooking while Hello I Love You by The Doors plays. And as the above quote suggests, I also liked the coffee cup scene.

    Belushi apparently wanted to have songs by the punk band Fear in Neighbors, but the studio pull rank because thought Fear were "inappropriate". According to Wikipedia, Bruce Robb , and Steve Cropper, produced the Fear songs, but apparently, the tapes went missing at some point. According to Robb, they recorded four songs before they realized each band member was using a different setlist. Ironically, neither Robb nor Cropper could tell!

  7. #432
    I think "White Zombie" was the first zombie movie (1932).
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  8. #433
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think "White Zombie" was the first zombie movie (1932).
    Voodoo IIRC.

  9. #434
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Voodoo IIRC.
    Oh, you're just referring to the flesh-eating variety.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  10. #435
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The plot was really nothing more than Belushi (Earl) this time playing the straight man to the wacky Aykroyd as Aykroyd and his sexy wife (Cathy Moriarity) move in next door in a quiet suburban cul de sac. Aykroyd does all kinds of goofy and bizarre things and Moriarity keeps coming on to the staid, straight laced Earl. At one point Earl accidently sinks Aykroyd's car into a swampy pond behind their houses, and Earl is all muddy and washes himself off down in his basement etc (the scene you're thinking of). It's bizarre and off beat enough that it is still worth a viewing every now and then, but its one of those movies that never seems to be shown on any of the movie channels (I have an old DVD).
    I'm glad there was a scene with the mud and washing himself in the basement. It was so hilarious! Loved that scene.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-02-2018 at 12:14 PM.

  11. #436
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,786
    The Equalizer II - Denzel Washington. This was a straight ahead action thriller of the vigilante type. I took my girlfriend to see it tonight and she's not really into violence in movies but she really liked it too. Non-stop action and Denzel rocked.

  12. #437
    Lucky Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Schenectady NY USA
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Cmon...no love for Doctor Detroit? Spies Like Us?
    Klonk, shh...

    ...harboring a soft spot for Coneheads, here...

    ...scene with Sinbad and Beldar's other cabby buddy in the hospital, Primat having the baby...

    ...the narfling of the garthak...

    ...McKean and Spade as INS...

    To me, Coneheads - quietly unsung.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

  13. #438
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Klonk, shh...

    ...harboring a soft spot for Coneheads, here...

    ...scene with Sinbad and Beldar's other cabby buddy in the hospital, Primat having the baby...

    ...the narfling of the garthak...

    ...McKean and Spade as INS...

    To me, Coneheads - quietly unsung.
    There were certain bits in Coneheads I liked. NARFLE THE GARFLEK!!!!!!!
    "I FIND YOU UNACCEPTABLE! IF I DID NOT FEAR INCARCERATION BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES, I'D SUPPLY SUFFICIENT PRESSURE TO YOUR FOREHEAD AS TO MAKE IT IMPLODE!"

    As for Spies Like Us, I can't get over the Russians blasting Soul Finger on a boombox, in the middle of the wilderness, while guarding the missile. Didn't BB King have a cameo in that one?

  14. #439
    Lucky Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Schenectady NY USA
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There were certain bits in Coneheads I liked. NARFLE THE GARFLEK!!!!!!!
    "I FIND YOU UNACCEPTABLE! IF I DID NOT FEAR INCARCERATION BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES, I'D SUPPLY SUFFICIENT PRESSURE TO YOUR FOREHEAD AS TO MAKE IT IMPLODE!"
    Chris, glad you weighed in, here. Saw you somewhere, sometime recently expressing your displeasure, bordering on outright distaste, lol for Chris Farley.

    He had a smallish role in this movie as the mechanic/love interest for the young Miss Conehead. (Yep.)

    He calls Beldar "Mr. CONhead."

    "Ok, Mr. Conhead..."...the perfect mechanic to customer degree of condescension...

    Beldar tells him, "It is as though you have grasped me by the snarglies..."

    Farley was a treasure in his time. He tried to make us laugh, and perhaps yes, too hard. With me, he succeeded. His little turn in Coneheads was memorable.

    Can't help it, the whole movie oozes this goofy benevolence I found adorable, irresistible.

    Even (I know.) David Spade.

    Two enthusiastic heads up.

    ("We are from France..."

    )
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

  15. #440
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Ghost Stories (2017)

    British gallows Hammer house style horror anthology with a twist.

    Not bad..., on Amazon
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  16. #441
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Chris, glad you weighed in, here. Saw you somewhere, sometime recently expressing your displeasure, bordering on outright distaste, lol for Chris Farley.

    He had a smallish role in this movie as the mechanic/love interest for the young Miss Conehead. (Yep.)
    Yeah, I was thinking about after that post last night..."Wait a minute, that's Chris Farley that Beldar is threatening to kill". Yeah, so I guess that's the one time Chris Farley didn't annoy me.

    Like I said, there were certain bits I liked, but I'm more a fan of the SNL Coneheads skits. There was a great one where they get visited by, I think, a census taker. When he asks where they're from, and Beldar says "We're from...France", the guy says he's bicycled through France four times, but never came across a town called Remulak.

    I can't remember if it's the same one but there was also one when Richard Dreyfus guest hosted, circa Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, where he reprises his role in the movie. He's building the mountain in his living room, and when the news report about Devil's Tower comes on, he looks at the TV screen, like he does in the movie, for a moment, then says "Naaaaaah!". But when Beldar's commercial for his driving school comes on, he becomes transfixed. "This means something!" SO he travels to the Conehead residence and ends up being abducted by them as they travel back to Remulak.

    There was one that I've never seen, but I've heard of it's existence, from one of the times Frank Zappa was on the show, where he joined in the skit. If I remember correctly, he was supposed to plug whatever his latest album was, but it was one of the records Warners put out as a result of the whole Lather debacle, I think either Sleep Dirt or Studio Tan. Frank was supposed to do a straight plug by holding up the record, saying it's title, etc. But Frank being who he was, and him being unhappy with the way his relationship with Warners ended, he made some sarcastic comment about the record being a rip off, apparently.

    As a side note, another of my favorite Dan Aykroyd skits was one where he plays a radio DJ, operating both FM and AM stations at the same time. On the FM station, he's talking really slowly, saying things like "If you were at the Grateful Dead concert last night, you'll know just about how I'm feeling right now", and playing Black Sabbath, among other things. On the AM station, he talks real hyper, and plays Tony Orlando & Dawn.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.

  17. #442
    Saw Incredibles 2 over the weekend. Honestly, I think it's a better film than the first, showing some serious character development. Nothing startlingly original, but a good, solid story with lots of action and funny bits.

    And way better than 90% or so of the canned superhero® product that Marvel and DC are pushing these days.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  18. #443
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw Incredibles 2 over the weekend. Honestly, I think it's a better film than the first, showing some serious character development. Nothing startlingly original, but a good, solid story with lots of action and funny bits.
    I agree.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And way better than 90% or so of the canned superhero® product that Marvel and DC are pushing these days.
    This I do not agree with. They're completely different things really.

  19. #444
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    To me, Coneheads - quietly unsung.
    I agree. Totally underrated, fun movie. Jane Curtin deserves some love in that as well.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  20. #445
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Meaning of Life was hilarious and the scene with the fat guy where the waiter says, "try one more pieces" and the fat guy responds, "fuck off" was very funny.
    What got me laughing initially was when he threw up all over the menu and the maitre d' (John Cleese) wipes it off and shakes it off his hand. But when he threw up on the cleaning woman's back... that's when I lost it. I cannot stress how much I hate gross and toilet humor. But the reason the Mr Creosote scene was so funny was how obviously fake it was.

    But the bit that still makes me laugh all these years is Carol Cleveland talking about her period (starting ~3:54):



    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Equalizer II - Denzel Washington. This was a straight ahead action thriller of the vigilante type. I took my girlfriend to see it tonight and she's not really into violence in movies but she really liked it too. Non-stop action and Denzel rocked.
    I just watched the first one last night based on my brother's recommendation, which I'm usually leery of. I really liked it. Is the second one as good as the first?

    For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's based on the old TV show with Edward Woodward. It's kind of like Jason Bourne meets John Wick but with a much lower death count.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  21. #446
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What got me laughing initially was when he threw up all over the menu and the maitre d' (John Cleese) wipes it off and shakes it off his hand. But when he threw up on the cleaning woman's back... that's when I lost it. I cannot stress how much I hate gross and toilet humor. But the reason the Mr Creosote scene was so funny was how obviously fake it was.

    But the bit that still makes me laugh all these years is Carol Cleveland talking about her period (starting ~3:54):




    I just watched the first one last night based on my brother's recommendation, which I'm usually leery of. I really liked it. Is the second one as good as the first?

    For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's based on the old TV show with Edward Woodward. It's kind of like Jason Bourne meets John Wick but with a much lower death count.
    That clip is still really funny! Only Monty Python can pull something like that off.

    For the Equalizer II - I really enjoyed the first one. The second has a totally different story, straddled between Turkey, Belgium, and Boston. The character development is pretty good and Denzel's righteous indignation is impressive, especially at his age pulling off some really well choreographed action scenes. Started at an action level 10/10 and continues that way throughout. The move passed by quickly.

  22. #447
    re: The Meaning Of Life,

    My favorite bit is still the dinner party, particularly that loooooong pause after one of th eguests how it is tha tall of them are dying at th esame time. It's almost like Death had expected his authority to be challenged on the matter, and had to think of an answer.

    "The salmon mousse!"

    As for Mr. Creosote, actually, my favorite bit is the fish seeing him come in, "HOLY SHIT! It's Mr. Creosote!" and they all take cover, like they know what's coming.

    The short film that kicks off The Meaning Of Life, with the accountants turned pirates, that was great.

    But ya know what? My favorite Monty Python thing is still The Spanish Inquisition, particularly when they start "torturing" the old lady by jabbing at her with a pillow. And then of course, there's Terry Gilliam's animations, I almost died laughing a few times watching those.

    Talking about Jane Curtin, you know what the first thing I remember seeing her in, before I ever really saw much of the classic SNL? Kate & Allie! I watched that sitcom, it was a good show, and I was somehow surprised when I realized she had been on SNL back in the 70's. I don't know why I was surprised, I guess my teenaged mind didn't quite grasp the idea that a sitcom star could also skit comedy, or whatever.

  23. #448
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,240
    Finally got to see The Conjuring, that was recommended as a good horror film in this thread a few pages back. Well done!
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  24. #449
    My favorite bit in The Meaning of Life is the finishing school with Cleese and his wife providing a sex education lesson. But, the part before she enters the room when he's teaching about foreplay.



    "What's wrong with a little kiss?"
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  25. #450
    Yep, that whole sketch is one of Python's absolute best, starting with the whole Cleese elaborate confusing instructions about bringing a note, getting a haircut, putting your clothes on the lower peg etc, and Wymer's reply re foreplay never fails to make me guffaw out loud:


    HUMPHREY: Ahh, well, as we all know all about foreplay, no doubt you can tell me what the purpose of foreplay is,... Biggs.

    BIGGS: Uhm-- Don't know. Sorry, sir.

    HUMPHREY: Carter.

    CARTER: Ah. Uhh, was it taking your clothes off, sir?

    HUMPHREY: Well, and-- and after that?

    WYMER: Ooh. Putting them on the lower peg, sir?

    PUPILS: [chuckling]

    -----
    The "schoolboys" lack of attention, boredom and goofing around while his wife is disrobing is pure comic genius.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •