Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #4651
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Insomina (2002) starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank. This is a crime drama shot in Alaska (I think actually British Columbia but I'm not sure). The filming of the nature was excellent. The movie is a crime thriller and is very well acted. Robin Williams was an underated dramatic actor.
    I would also recommend the original from 1007 with Stellan Skaarsgard. Apart from changing the location from Norway to Alaska and therefore making the language English instead of Norwegian and Swedish, he pretty much kept the plot the same.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  2. #4652
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Coogan's Bluff with Eastwood

    The Film Is Not Yet Rated--a doc on who rates the movies, and how. Pretty decent.

    X-Men: Apocalypse--I had to be in the mood for this extravaganza but pretty good.

    Coogan's Bluff was the inspiration for the TV series McCloud, with Dennis Weaver. I guess when compared to other Siegel/Eastwood collaborations its not one of the better ones, but its still very watchable.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  3. #4653
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    No I have not. On your recomendation I added to Netflix DVD cue. Thanks.
    If you enjoyed JoJo Rabbit, I think you will love it. It's got some great humor, some poignant moments, and is a really sweet story overall. Sam Neill and Julian Dennison are terrific in it and have a great dynamic.

    Wilderpeople, Thor: Ragnarok, and JoJo Rabbit have cemented Taika Waititi as one of my favorite recent filmmakers.

  4. #4654
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Insomina (2002) starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank. This is a crime drama shot in Alaska (I think actually British Columbia but I'm not sure). The filming of the nature was excellent. The movie is a crime thriller and is very well acted. Robin Williams was an underated dramatic actor.
    Another great one with Robin Williams is One Hour Photo. Absolutely creepy and very uncomfortable. The filmmaker really channels Kubrick with his cinematography.

  5. #4655
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Another great one with Robin Williams is One Hour Photo. Absolutely creepy and very uncomfortable. The filmmaker really channels Kubrick with his cinematography.
    Agree, he was great in that one too.

  6. #4656
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    If you enjoyed JoJo Rabbit, I think you will love it. It's got some great humor, some poignant moments, and is a really sweet story overall. Sam Neill and Julian Dennison are terrific in it and have a great dynamic.

    Wilderpeople, Thor: Ragnarok, and JoJo Rabbit have cemented Taika Waititi as one of my favorite recent filmmakers.
    I thought his voice performance as Korg in Thor Ragnarok was hilarious.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  7. #4657
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,156
    Almost done with Netflix Tiger King (2020)

    Imagine being in a dirty Jacuzzi with 10 chain smoking white trash gay men on meth for five hours.
    Last edited by nosebone; 04-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  8. #4658
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Almost done with Netflix Tiger King (2020)

    Imagine being in a dirty Jacuzzi with 10 chain smoking white trash gay men on meth for five hours.
    I watched the first episode only so far. Is it worth continuing?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  9. #4659
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I watched the first episode only so far. Is it worth continuing?
    It works for the quarantine, but I don't find the story as compelling as its promoted.

    Plus its really dragged out, but like a really well done reality show.

    One episode of Forensic Files is far more fascinating, but YMMV
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  10. #4660
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,994
    ^ Oak Island dragged out?
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-08-2020 at 07:37 PM.

  11. #4661
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Almost done with Netflix Tiger King (2020)

    Imagine being in a dirty Jacuzzi with 10 chain smoking white trash gay men on meth for five hours.
    I just finished it today. What a out there bunch of folks. There appears to be plenty of material for a sequel.

  12. #4662
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes, I loved this one. The humor was only surpassed by the emotion. Quite a lot of depth to some of the characters who at first seem to just be shallow comic relief, but are much more than that. Funny and heartbreaking. Taika Waititi is not just a great writer, but also a very talented director. Some of the techniques he uses in this movie are so subtle that you don't realize what he's doing until after the fact.

    Wonderful movie.

    Have you seen Hunt For the Wilderpeople?
    Received and watched Hunt For The Wilderpeople. I agree with your's and others positive comments on this one. Very much enjoyed. Previous to the recommendation , also ignorant of Taika Waititi, I dismissed Hunt as a most likely syrupy kiddy movie. Glad I didn't miss it.

  13. #4663
    Watched , Motherless Brooklyn. This was Edward Nortons ( directed and written for screen ,starred ) period mystery flic from last year. Also , R Cannavale , Alec Baldwin , Willham Defoe , Bruce Willis. Set in 50's or maybe early 60's judging by cars , this had a great look in recreating that time in NY. The plot is good , acting and directing excellent. Baldwin is a standout. An exploration of power , and corruption , this movie reminds me of Chinatown in many ways. The movie flopped upon release , unfortunate and undeserved IMO. I don't think its ad campaingn did it any favors, highlighting Norton's charactors Tourettes outbursts in trailers might have been off-putting to movie goers. This movie has so much to offer , I'm sure a more alluring 60 seconds to promote it was possible. In any case , well worth your time.

  14. #4664
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,297
    Saw the latest Star Wars. Totally enjoyable popcorn movie. In this case, Kettle cooked chips.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  15. #4665
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,036
    We watched "It Part II" last night. To be honest I did not think it was very good and it seemed overly long. I did not think the first "It" film was great, but I enjoyed it for the most part. The 2nd one, not so much......

  16. #4666
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    910
    I did not really care for "Coogan's Bluff" although it is years since I have seen it.

    It's a good one if you like Don Siegel and that sleazy NY scene.

    Uncut Gems--meh, not the type movie I enjoy. YMMV.

  17. #4667
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,475
    I liked Motherless Brooklyn. I didn't see any of the ads for the movie, nor was I aware that it had flopped at the box office. The DVD just looked like something I would enjoy. Glad I watched it. I almost didn't recognize Leslie Mann in her role as Julia Minna.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

  18. #4668
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,609
    I mentioned this movie before, but I just watched it a second time to see if it was really that good or just the moment... it is really that good, despite the English dubbed dialog which I normally hate.

    Man, if any of you guys know of any movies as twisty as this one, I wanna know cause this is my kinda mind-bending story!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6908274/?ref_=tt_sims_tt
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  19. #4669
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I watched the first episode only so far. Is it worth continuing?
    I'm up to episode 4. I really didn't want to watch this because I hate when trash like this becomes glorified, but I did anyway and now have to finish . It's so bizarre that this world and these people exist. But it is a true crime show and I do like that sort of thing so there ya go. Give it another episode and see, Lou.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  20. #4670
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm up to episode 4. I really didn't want to watch this because I hate when trash like this becomes glorified, but I did anyway and now have to finish . It's so bizarre that this world and these people exist. But it is a true crime show and I do like that sort of thing so there ya go. Give it another episode and see, Lou.
    Ok....but just for you.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  21. #4671
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    337
    Making Waves, a documentary on the evolution of sound design and sound editing in cinema. Excellent. Features Walter Murch and Ben Burtt. It has another glimpse at the excellent soundtrack to George Lucas's best movie THX-1138. Awesome. Really gives you a feel of how complex the total sound design aspect of a movie is. I was a film major and I have forgotten how much there goes on behind the scenes for a clean soundtrack in a movie.

    EDIT: I forgot to mention that it is on Amazon Prime
    Last edited by Painter; 04-14-2020 at 05:18 AM.

  22. #4672
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Making Waves, a documentary on the evolution of sound design and sound editing in cinema. Excellent. Features Walter Murch and Ben Burtt. It has another glimpse at the excellent soundtrack to George Lucas's best movie THX-1138. Awesome. Really gives you a feel of how complex the total sound design aspect of a movie is. I was a film major and I have forgotten how much there goes on behind the scenes for a clean soundtrack in a movie.
    I'll have to look for that, sounds like exactly the ticket for me.

  23. #4673
    Making Waves sounds cool. I'd dig it, I'm sure.

    Just heard something that I don't know if it's true. Stupid radio guys were talking about Austin Powers, the first one, and how it didn't become popular until after it was in theaters. I looked at the wiki page and it cost 16.5 and made 67, I think, worldwide, so that's not bad but not great.

    Is that true? I don't have a clue.

    ETA: Damn sport's radio doesn't have anything to talk about so they were debating whether Jaws holds up. I just saw it a few months ago and loved it but I was eight when it came out and the girl behind me threw her popcorn bucket on the folks behind her when Jaws came out in the chum scene.

    I may be biased. The music really does help it even if it's John Williams.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 04-14-2020 at 01:53 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

    HODOR!

  24. #4674
    Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    465
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

  25. #4675
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Making Waves sounds cool. I'd dig it, I'm sure.

    Just heard something that I don't know if it's true. Stupid radio guys were talking about Austin Powers, the first one, and how it didn't become popular until after it was in theaters. I looked at the wiki page and it cost 16.5 and made 67, I think, worldwide, so that's not bad but not great.

    Is that true? I don't have a clue.
    The problem is, as you have movies that make bigger and bigger box office returns, the studios have adjusted their expectations accordingly. At one time, a 300% return on the film's cost would be considered impressive by Hollywood. Now, not so much. It's like the line in one of the Pink Floyd books, where it's mentioned that Stateside, Animals "only made it number 2" on the charts.

    Also, in the case of Austin Powers, it's star, Mike Myers, had previously made Wayne's World, which as I recall was a pretty big movie (to the point that it theoretically rescued Queen from Stateside obscurity). So it's probably akin the story that Wendy Wilson told about how the second Wilson Phillips album was deemed by a flop by the label, even though it sold 3,000,000 units, because their first album had shifted 10,000,000 units.

    ETA: Damn sport's radio doesn't have anything to talk about so they were debating whether Jaws holds up. I just saw it a few months ago and loved it but I was eight when it came out and the girl behind me threw her popcorn bucket on the folks behind her when Jaws came out in the chum scene.

    I may be biased. The music really does help it even if it's John Williams.
    What made Jaws a great movie was the fact that Bruce, the mechanical shark, didn't work. Spielberg basically had to reshape the movie because he couldn't show the shark for the first 4/5's of the film because the prop packed up and they couldn't get it to work. So he focused more on the relationships between the people and such. John Williams had to come up with a score that would sort of "announce" the shark's presence when it was supposed to appear. I think it was suggested that he had to go "Hitchcock" instead of doing whatever it was he had originally planned.

    The thing in Jaws that I remember, from when I saw it on TV the first time, was the scene where the dead fisherman's head pops through the whole in the boat, while Richard Dreyfus was examining it. I remember that gave me a "shock" as it were. And I remember the bit where the two kids almost got themselves killed by the Coast Guard with their prank. Most of the rest of the movie I remember more from later viewings when I was much older.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •