Page 185 of 397 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    1917 - Sam Mendes is such a thought-provoking director. This movie grabs in you in quickly - the first five minutes and the pace continues for 2 hours. I was going to say how realistic it was but given that it's based on true story this helps explain its authenticity. I have a 2 day streaming rental and plan on returning to it tonight. I think this is the type of movie that would keep revealing itself on repeated viewings.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Being There for the fist time in many years and noted that the acting credits included Oteil Burbridge.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Being There for the fist time in many years and noted that the acting credits included Oteil Burbridge.
    Yep, the future Allman Brothers Band bassist is one of the members of the street gang Chance meets when he first steps out of the house at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yep, the future Allman Brothers Band bassist is one of the members of the street gang Chance meets when he first steps out of the house at the beginning.
    That scene is one of my favorites in the movie. And the out-take shown at the end of the film of Sellers trying to deliver the message to Raphael without cracking up is priceless.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    That scene is one of my favorites in the movie. And the out-take shown at the end of the film of Sellers trying to deliver the message to Raphael without cracking up is priceless.
    Sellers got really upset about that outtake being used. I guess he felt it was bad filmmaking, in that it ruined the suspension of disbelief or whatever.

I only saw it the one time, a few years ago, I think on TCM. The scene that stuck out in my mind was the one where Shirley MacLaine is...well, if you've seen the movie, I'm sure you know the bit I'm talking about, where she grossly misinterprets his "I like to watch" comment, and she's doing that, he's watching TV, completely oblivious to what's going on in the bed immediately behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always found it interesting that the best King based films have very little to do with the horror genre that he is best known for.
    It is interesting, and I think it demonstrates that King is more than "just a horror writer". Sometimes he likes to go for the low-hanging fruit with regard to the central conceit of a story (i.e. horror), but he is a master at writing characters and making them come to life even in the most outlandish situations. "The Mist" is one of my favorite short stories (or novellas) in how it throws together a bunch of regular folks as they face down Lovecraftian horrors just outside the glass doors and windows of a grocery store -- while also having to contend with some people inside the store who are perhaps even worse than the monsters in the mist.

But then he writes stories like Dolores Claiborne, or The Shawshank Redemption, that have nothing to do with the horror genre -- and they're great stories. If the ending of The Shawshank Redemption doesn't get you at least choked up a little, I don't know what else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It is interesting, and I think it demonstrates that King is more than "just a horror writer". Sometimes he likes to go for the low-hanging fruit with regard to the central conceit of a story (i.e. horror), but he is a master at writing characters and making them come to life even in the most outlandish situations. "The Mist" is one of my favorite short stories (or novellas) in how it throws together a bunch of regular folks as they face down Lovecraftian horrors just outside the glass doors and windows of a grocery store -- while also having to contend with some people inside the store who are perhaps even worse than the monsters in the mist.

But then he writes stories like Dolores Claiborne, or The Shawshank Redemption, that have nothing to do with the horror genre -- and they're great stories. If the ending of The Shawshank Redemption doesn't get you at least choked up a little, I don't know what else to say.
    I also am a fan of "The Mist". That one was made into a series, but I never saw it and don't remember what network or service it was on. I had a guy that I work with that really liked it, but I did not have whatever service it was on.

I finally took the plunge and am trying Disney+ for a month. My wife has always bemoaned the fact that she didn't get to see many of the classic Disney movies back in the 60s. It was basically because her mother was a narcissistic cunt but there you go. So anyway I set it up on the Firestick and tonight we tried out Lovebug (which neither of us had seen for a long, long time). Wow, someone really cleaned up the video on this. It looked quite sharp.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We also went with the D+ bundle. Looks like a fairly good deal (though I could live without the ESPN part).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

So, I'm finally exploring the options on Amazon Prime. I've found they've got The Outer Limits (both the original series and the 90's revival), One Step Beyond (!), Babylon 5, Chuck, Dead Like Me and The Rockford Files! Looks like I got a lot to keep me busy if I can't make up my mind what music to listen to!

Pretty sure that Babylon 5 is no longer available on Prime and definitely off Netflix.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    1917 - Sam Mendes is such a thought-provoking director. This movie grabs in you in quickly - the first five minutes and the pace continues for 2 hours. I was going to say how realistic it was but given that it's based on true story this helps explain its authenticity. I have a 2 day streaming rental and plan on returning to it tonight. I think this is the type of movie that would keep revealing itself on repeated viewings.
    Excellent film, saw in the Theater a while ago (obviously). Amazing technique of super-long, travelling, continuous shots with so much going on and so much ground covered it is remarkable. They did these long single takes highly choreographed, so the necessary multiple takes were very time-consuming and expensive. Amazing craftsmanship in my book, AFIK there's never been anything quite like this done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Pretty sure that Babylon 5 is no longer available on Prime and definitely off Netflix.
    It came up on the search on Prime.

Edit: I see what you mean. It's listed, but when you go to the page that lets you pick which episode to watch, each one is "unavailable". That's weird. Why would you bother have the show listed, if it's actually "unavailable"?!

Well, at least they've got Farscape, that seems to be available, so I've added it to the watch list.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Parasite over the weekend, pretty good movie, though I didn't really find anyone likable in the movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Watched The Platform this weekend. Not sure if it's been discussed yet but I really enjoyed it. It is a Spanish horror movie about a vertical prison where each floor houses two prisoners. I won't give away how many floors there are, but it is in the hundreds. Each day a gourmet meal is prepared and is put on a platform that then descends down to each floor through an approximate 10ft by 4ft rectangle in the floor. It stops at each level for a few minutes and every thirty days the prisoners change floors. A very interesting premise that is very well done. I won't give too much more away about it, but any horror fan should watch this. It is streaming on Netflix right now. The only things I didn't like was the ending and that they chose to use English overdubs instead of subtitles. Not quite as bad as the old martial arts movies, but noticeable at times. And some of the voices didn't seem to fit the characters. But that's a minor complaint.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    The only things I didn't like was the ending and that they chose to use English overdubs instead of subtitles. Not quite as bad as the old martial arts movies, but noticeable at times. And some of the voices didn't seem to fit the characters. But that's a minor complaint.
    You know there's a setting for audio and subtitles, right? For example, the audio choices for The Platform are German, English, European Spanish [Original], French, and Italian. The subtitle choices are English, European Spanish, German, French, and Simplified Chinese.

In fact, there are quite a few movies and series on Netflix that are foreign language. For instance, Dark is German, The Rain is Danish, and The Valhalla Murders is Icelandic.

Glad you enjoyed the movie. I didn't.
    Last edited by Hal...; 03-30-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Watched The Platform this weekend. Not sure if it's been discussed yet but I really enjoyed it. It is a Spanish horror movie about a vertical prison where each floor houses two prisoners. I won't give away how many floors there are, but it is in the hundreds. Each day a gourmet meal is prepared and is put on a platform that then descends down to each floor through an approximate 10ft by 4ft rectangle in the floor. It stops at each level for a few minutes and every thirty days the prisoners change floors. A very interesting premise that is very well done. I won't give too much more away about it, but any horror fan should watch this. It is streaming on Netflix right now. The only things I didn't like was the ending and that they chose to use English overdubs instead of subtitles. Not quite as bad as the old martial arts movies, but noticeable at times. And some of the voices didn't seem to fit the characters. But that's a minor complaint.
    Sounds a bit like Cube

Last night we were both fascinated and repulsed by the documentary Generation Wealth on Amazon Prime. Warning, some content is strictly adult.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...on-wealth-2018

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Parasite over the weekend, pretty good movie, though I didn't really find anyone likable in the movie.
    Woo hoo, look at me. Got my old mouse working. I'd swear I'd changed the batteries but maybe not as it ain't sending me to every page I'd rather not be on. Sort of like Arthur Dent's quest for tea. He get's something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Loved this movie. Sure, no one is worth rooting for but the stairs, always going up or down, in society.....I just loved the look. Was it worthy of best picture I don't know as I haven't seen them all.

The twist in the middle was so great. Sent the picture into a whole 'nother universe.

Watched Slaughterhouse Rulz. That was ok, had some nice bits. Puzzle was really good, about a girl who enters a jigsaw puzzle contest with a guy who she has an affair with.

Still have a load of movies to go through.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The Secret Of NIMH: Watched this last night and this afternoon. I thought I had seen this when I was a kid, on HBO or whatever, but watching it now, not much of it rang any bells. Anyway, a very good movie, much better than any of the garbage Disney's been squeezing out for the last 30 or so years.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Severed Ways: The Norse Discovery Of America (2007) - In 1007 AD, two Norsemen are stranded along the coast of North America after their expedition is attacked. This is the story of their survival, struggles, and journey to rejoin their countrymen. The movie is very slow paced and that may put off some viewers accustomed to modern stories that are nonstop action. The country they travel through, filmed in Newfoundland, Maine and Vermont, is beautiful, forested, and wild. The soundtrack, which AFAIK has not been assembled as an album, is incredible, featuring primarily instrumental passages from Black Metal (Burzum, Dimmu Borgir), Hard Rock/Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Queens of the Stone Age), Ambient (Eno), and Progressive (Popol Vuh) musics.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Watched 1917 tonight. Loved it. Spellbinding cinematography and story, acting and score to match. Very well done. Thought about my grandpa a lot while watching, and other relatives on both sides of my family who served in that dreadful conflict (several of whom rest in the fields of Flanders).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Secret Of NIMH: Watched this last night and this afternoon. I thought I had seen this when I was a kid, on HBO or whatever, but watching it now, not much of it rang any bells. Anyway, a very good movie, much better than any of the garbage Disney's been squeezing out for the last 30 or so years.
    My oldest daughters favorite movie when young. She watched it over and over , and would cry when the end credits rolled , grabbing the TV screen in an effort to stop the credits moving up the screen , crying and saying "mouse movie , mouse movie " over and over. I recently gave her a DVD of TSON and she now watches with her own 2 small daughters.

Watched the Spanish drama/thriller The Occupant on Netflix last night.

Not bad.

It involves an obsessed sociopath and his merciless plan to destroy a family.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone