Page 180 of 397 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Dead Like Me is one my all time faves.
    I knew you had commented on this show and looked in the TV shows thread looking for it and began to think I was losing my mind. Fortunately for me, I remembered Klonk replied once in the wrong thread so I figured I'd check this one.

I'm half-way into episode 3 of season 2 and so far I've laughed more times this season than in all of season 1. I liked the show and thought it humorous but just not actually funny... until now. I'm hoping they keep this up through the whole season.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Oops!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Last Thing He Wanted 2020

Netflix original.Set in 1984. Anne Hathaway stars as a veteran DC reporter who, thanks to her father, winds up involved in
    a story she is trying to break in El Salvador. Also stars Ben Affleck, William Dafoe, and Rosi Perez. In a word, this one was
    WEAK. Better ways to spend your time.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Finally got around to Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai (1954) on Kanopy.com .

Great film and worthy of all the praise .
    I saw it a number of years ago, when TCM showed a bunch of Kurosawa pictures all within a month (he must have been the star of the month or whatever). Dont' remember a whole lot about it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

But it'll never hold a candle to the brilliant Battle Beyond The Stars, which is of course an adaptation of both Seven Samurai and the earlier western remake The Magnificent Seven.

Oh, c'mon, you guys knew I was going to say that! I mean, how are you supposed to top Sybil Danning as Saint Exmin of the Valkyrie?!

MV5BNzc4YThjNTMtOGM2MC00YmZmLTk1ZTktMDc4OGVmZjM3MjcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM1MjQzNTk@._V1_.jpg

PBS had a special on the musician, Miles Davis this past week, if you missed it you can stream it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    PBS had a special on the musician, Miles Davis this past week, if you missed it you can stream it for a while.
    Watched the first half last night, then rest this morning. Good progrma. Of course, Stanley Crouch managed to squeeze his foot into his mouth again, but at least this time Carlos Santana spoke in Miles' defense (unless the Ken Burns' Jazz debacle, where Crouch's "there's nothing there" commentary was left unchallenged).

At Eternity's Gate is another film about the life of Vincent Van Gogh starring Willem Dafoe as Van Gogh. It was pretty good, but may be too slow for some. I've been laid up with a head cold so it being somewhat understated and slow paced worked for me. It's directed by Julian Schnabel who also directed The Diving Bell & The Butterfly. He's also a painter. Pretty worthwhile.

In the vein of Crawl , but instead of alligators , giant blind cave great white sharks. Titled 47 Meters Under , Unchained. See GBCGWS gobble up nubile highschoolers in bikinis , whilst trapped in an underwater Myan temple . Freekin awesome! People eaten that tradition story arcs spare ! And giant vortex underwater whirlpools throw in if the sharks aren't enough. A must see.

Watching a 50s, black and white sci- fi film on Svengoulie......The Monolith Monster.

Saw "Parasite" today. All I can say is wow. Amazing film and I certainly understand why it won best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw "Parasite" today. All I can say is wow. Amazing film and I certainly understand why it won best picture.
    I second that. And I urge people not to read the reviews or synopsis before watching. The less you know the more you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I second that. And I urge people not to read the reviews or synopsis before watching. The less you know the more you will enjoy it.
    Agree, I went into it just knowing the basic beginning story line, but nothing else. This is definitely a movie with plenty of twists and turns that are best not known ahead of time.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Once Upon A Time .... In Hollywood over the weekend, nicely shot, good dialogue, kinda slow developing, not sure I'd bother devoting 2 and a half hours to it again. Funny ending.

Also watched The Cloverfield Paradox over the weekend, silly scifi movie, quite enjoyable even if I could see the ending coming a mile off.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched Color Out Of Space, based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. Weird, crazy, and fun. Features an appearance by Tommy Chong.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Watched Girl on the Third Floor this weekend. What a complete waste of time. Stay away, very far away. Terrible movie!
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Watched the German film System Crasher on Netflix. Well, this wasn't the feel good movie of the year but that's what happens when my wife picks 'em. Benni, a nine-year-old foul-mouthed and violent abuse survivor bounces from caretaker to caretaker as the system struggles to keep up with her. This one will haunt me for quite a while, especially ending without resolution.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I went to The Invisible Man (2020) the other night.

This movie was WAY better than it should have been due to lead actress Elisabeth Moss carrying the whole shebang on her back.

It was also quite scary!
    Last edited by nosebone; 03-03-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Parasite It was done well, but really didn't care for the story that much.

Ford v Ferrari Of the Oscar nominated films this is the one I've liked best so far. Good performances and story.

At Eternity's Gate Another bio about Vincent van Gogh, slow, but I enjoyed it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Parasite It was done well, but really didn't care for the story that much.

I thought I was alone on this viewpoint. Didn't get the movie or the Academy Award for best picture.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought I was alone on this viewpoint. Didn't get the movie or the Academy Award for best picture.
    No, not really. The Academy is a weird animal in these modern times--tied up too much in political correctness among other things. Bong Joon Ho has made some pretty decent films, though I think the subject matter in nearly all of them fall into fantasy/ SF/ metaphor. I've not seen anything by him I find Oscar worthy however. I'd prefer a movie like The Graduate, The French Connection, Ordinary People, Deliverance, etc. to most modern films. There's far to many things that might be interesting on first viewing like Joker, or The Dark Knight, but I don't think they are high art by any means--they are popcorn fare.

First Love - a violent yet funny 2019 Japanese film about a boxer and a hooker caught in the middle of a drug war. Available with English dialog and/or subtitles. Very good.

Watched Bell Book & Candle this evening. Good 1958 film, starring Kim Novak as a witch who casts a spell on Jimmy Stewart. Elsa Lanchester and Jack Lemmon also play witches. Ernie Kovacks plays a writer who plans to write a book about witchcraft in Manhattan. Jack Lemmon's character plays bongos in a small jazz group that performs in a little club in a couple scenes, and the guitarist plays one appears to be a custom ordered Fender Stratocaster, with a solid finish (not sunburst, looks like it could be black or dark green or dark blue) and what looks like a gold pickguard (like David Gilmour's 0001 Strat). Anyway, very entertaining movie, enjoyed watching it.

^Thanks for the heads up. I own Bell Book & Candle and should watch it soon.

Color Out of Space--Based on a H P Lovecraft story. I was really looking forward to it, but didn't care for it very much. I'll probably watch the last half again, but disappointing. Tried to be like John Carpenter but failed.