Page 179 of 397 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Got a library card?

Love movies?

Then get Kanopy on your smart TV now!

Lots of classics, foreign films & Criterions!

https://www.kanopy.com/
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Got a library card?

Love movies?

Then get Kanopy on your smart TV now!

Lots of classics, foreign films & Criterions!

https://www.kanopy.com/
    SIGNED UP!

luv me sum 1940-1960 Noir
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Horse Girl

Netflix original. Always adorable Alison Brie (GLOW) stars as an awkward gal who works at a craft shop. This, plus horses and reruns
    of a bad supernatural crime show is pretty much her life. Her vivid dreams start creeping into her reality and begin to seriously mess
    with her head. This movie is not what I expected. Almost didn't watch it due to the lame trailer. Pleasantly surprised and quite entertained
    by this film. Brie nails her performance. She plays the weird and misfit characters so well. Highly recommended.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The Foreigner

On Netflix. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan star in this. Chan is the owner of a restaurant in London, who immigrated there 14 years previous, with
    his wife and two daughters. During his exile from China, his wife and one daughter are killed by Thai pirates.In London, his remaining daughter is killed
    in a terrorist bombing, which was claimed by a group calling themselves the New IRA. Chan tries to get names of the responsible person(s), which leads him to
    contacting Brosnan, who is a high ranking Irish official.Chaos ensues. Chan is uncharacteristically dark and reserved here. This is a very good revenge movie.
    I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah that was a fun movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We finally saw Parasite. At times it's hilarious but damn, that third act got DARK. I was unable to predict which way it was going to turn and that's a good thing. But yeah, DARK.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The Foreigner

On Netflix. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan star in this. Chan is the owner of a restaurant in London, who immigrated there 14 years previous, with
    his wife and two daughters. During his exile from China, his wife and one daughter are killed by Thai pirates.In London, his remaining daughter is killed
    in a terrorist bombing, which was claimed by a group calling themselves the New IRA. Chan tries to get names of the responsible person(s), which leads him to
    contacting Brosnan, who is a high ranking Irish official.Chaos ensues. Chan is uncharacteristically dark and reserved here. This is a very good revenge movie.
    I enjoyed it immensely.
    A surprisingly good little thriller.

Good to see Chan doing something a little more realistic. For a while he was still trying to do his stunt filled stuff but was clearly getting too old for it.

And worse still, the stunt doubles and wire assisted acrobatics were beginning to look obvious.

The Front: 1977 picture starring Woody Allen (in a rare instance where he is only an actor, not writer or director) as a bar cashier who agrees to put his name on scripts written by a friend who has been blacklisted in the 50's. The film's writer and director and several of the other actors were actually blacklisted during the McCarthyism era. Interesting picture, I thought. I had never heard of before it showed on TCM a couple weeks ago, but I'm glad I gave it a look see. This was Zero Mostel's second to last film (his very last film was an animated picture called Watership Down, which came out after he went home).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-21-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We finally saw Parasite. At times it's hilarious but damn, that third act got DARK. I was unable to predict which way it was going to turn and that's a good thing. But yeah, DARK.
    Yeah, that was a pretty wild ride, eh? Of course the situation they are in is going to go south or else there's no reason to make the film but the way it went I doubt anyone saw that coming. Lots of stairs, going up, coming down, loads of symbolism in that. The "rock of prosperity", loved that. Sure, a rock is going to make you rich lol.

This one stuck with me. Been thinking a lot about it.

They are looking to make a short series, sort of like a longer movie but not a full ten episodes or however many. I believe it was HBO he was talking to. Would be cool to do the same story, a little longer, but told from a different perspective. Also might make it American, they aren't really sure so it may not even ever get made. We'll see.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Front: 1977 picture starring Woody Allen (in a rare instance where he is only not an actor, not writer or director) as a bar cashier who agrees to put his name on scripts written by a friend who has been blacklisted in the 50's. The film's writer and director and several of the other actors were actually blacklisted during the McCarthyism era. Interesting picture, I thought. I had never heard of before it showed on TCM a couple weeks ago, but I'm glad I gave it a look see. This was Zero Mostel's second to last film (his very last film was an animated picture called Watership Down, which came out after he went home).
    A great little movie, one of Allen's rare straight roles. And a last line to die for...

Alison
    On Prime.
    I thought this was a movie, but turns out it was more like an hour long real life crime show. In 1994, Alison
    was abducted in her car at knife point. She was taken to a remote location where she was raped by her two
    abductors and then assaulted by knife. Her throat was cut from ear to ear and she was stabbed so many times in
    the abdomen that she was disemboweled. She was left for dead at that spot. Miraculously, she was eventually
    able to get to her feet and make it to the road where she collapsed in the middle of. This is a story of one of the
    most violent attacks on a person I can remember. It's also a story about the strength and will to live of one exceptional
    young woman. The story is narrated by the real Alison herself. A fascinating and very disturbing story.

And now I am watching......

The Mummy's Curse.....

On Svengoolie......

The Keep. 1983, Michael Mann. Not a review as such, more of a heads up to say that there is finally a much better version of this movie now available on DVD.

Yes, I know many like me would have preferred at least a blu ray, maybe 4K restoration with extras, deleted scenes and interviews detailing the troubled production history. But given the obscurity of the movie and the unwillingness of either Mann himself or Paramount to revisit it, I think thats unlikely now.

What we do get here is the best looking and sounding version of the movie we have had so far. Even though its on DVD, it is for once in the original 2:35:1 aspect ratio anamorphic. Sound is 2 channel Dolby Stereo, as per the original release.

The only extra is a trailer and there are no subtitles but it is chaptered.

For once its possible to really appreciate the set design and production values, which stand out more so on this version.

This DVD is an Australian release via a company called Viavision, but it will play on all regions.

After so many years of dodgy pan and scan, grainy videos, DVD's and countless bootlegs and unofficial versions, this is a welcome treat.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Good Liar - Helen Mirren & Ian McKellen in top form, knew a twist was coming from the start but didn't work it out before the reveal, really well done.

6 Undergound, the other extreme, very very silly with superb action sequences spoilt a bit whenever they tried to do character development that came off naff.

Both good as long as you realize what you are getting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Good Liar - Helen Mirren & Ian McKellen in top form, knew a twist was coming from the start but didn't work it out before the reveal, really well done.
    Really looking forward to this one, I love both actors.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My Sunday double feature:

The Wicker Man (1973). Considering what I was watching next, I thought I'd give this one another go as I didn't care for it the first time I saw it ~25 years ago. Time made no difference. It's still a two star movie.

Midsommar (2019). This got an 83% on RottenTomatoes and 72% on IMDb and Metacritic. CinemaScore, an audience poll company, said it scored a C+. Wow. I'd give this at least a B. Tightened up a little and I would've given it a solid B+... maybe even an A-. Good movie.

Inland Empire. I thought this movie was totally incomprehensible the first time I saw it. Now I think it's only 90% incomprehensible. If I watch it every year until I die, I might understand it by then... but I doubt it. I don't think this is up to par for David Lynch, but I do appreciate it. Laura Dern's performance is worth the price of admission. Seriously. How she didn't get an Oscar nomination is still a mystery to me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We finally saw the modern western Hell or High Water last night. I remember some of you praising it when it came out. That was one helluva film: it was a character study with elements of heist films and westerns with long periods of tranquility and some epic violence, with a strong commentary regarding the harsh economic situation in the American West. Boy, I've seen every bit of that play out around these parts most of my life. Truly exemplary work by the lead actors.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Crawl--not a ground breaking horror movie, but fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    My Sunday double feature:

The Wicker Man (1973). Considering what I was watching next, I thought I'd give this one another go as I didn't care for it the first time I saw it ~25 years ago. Time made no difference. It's still a two star movie.

Midsommar (2019). This got an 83% on RottenTomatoes and 72% on IMDb and Metacritic. CinemaScore, an audience poll company, said it scored a C+. Wow. I'd give this at least a B. Tightened up a little and I would've given it a solid B+... maybe even an A-. Good movie.

Inland Empire. I thought this movie was totally incomprehensible the first time I saw it. Now I think it's only 90% incomprehensible. If I watch it every year until I die, I might understand it by then... but I doubt it. I don't think this is up to par for David Lynch, but I do appreciate it. Laura Dern's performance is worth the price of admission. Seriously. How she didn't get an Oscar nomination is still a mystery to me.
    Have to agree about The Wicker Man. Never saw it as a classic movie at all. It underwhelmed me on first watch, and I still feel the same after seeing it 2 or 3 times over the years.

The best I can say is that it is different, it didnt follow the standard horror movie tropes of the time. And the final scene is a bit disturbing to watch.

Heres a good one that slipped under my radar. 2019's Last Christmas directed by Paul Feig with Emma Thompson amoung others. I think I got the dvd from Netflix based on a trailer on another dvd. It was marketed as a RomCom , I must have thought it appealing in some manner. Watched with the wife , not expecting more than a few chuckles and a familiar plot. It surprised me. Well directed and written, a comedy for sure but not traveling the well worn path of the traditional genre. Fun but deeper than one would expect. A twist in the end that caught me , didn't see it coming. Not really a Christmas movie despite the title. I'm happy to have stumbled into this one.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We finally saw the modern western Hell or High Water last night. I remember some of you praising it when it came out. That was one helluva film: it was a character study with elements of heist films and westerns with long periods of tranquility and some epic violence, with a strong commentary regarding the harsh economic situation in the American West. Boy, I've seen every bit of that play out around these parts most of my life. Truly exemplary work by the lead actors.
    And, it gets even better upon repeated viewings...the mark of a modern day classic in my opinion. The best movie from the last decade for me by a very long shot.
    Last edited by Paulie; 02-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I think the Wicker Man ages well. That unexpected ending was jarring. Also, Britt Ekland's body double dancing was um...entertaining.

Finally got around to Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai (1954) on Kanopy.com .

Great film and worthy of all the praise .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yeah, I love The Wicker Man. Enough to have purchased the deluxe DVD in the wooden box.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    And, it gets even better upon repeated viewings...the mark of a modern day classic in my opinion. The best movie from the last decade for me by a very long shot.
    It would certainly be one of my movies of the decade as well. It is that good.