Page 177 of 397 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Kirk Douglas gone... what a career he had! I have enjoyed every movie I've seen with him in it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Kirk Douglas gone... what a career he had! I have enjoyed every movie I've seen with him in it
    I think Douglas was the last big name of Hollywood's Golden Age.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Recommendation:

Motherless Brooklyn - 1950s New York noir-style murder mystery featuring actor/director Edward Norton as an amateur PI with Tourette's and OCD and a great memory.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Finally saw Tarrentino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I liked it. DiCaprio and Pitt were very good. The 60's vibe was good. The film wanders before getting to the point. Not terrible , kinda not focused. Overall I thought it worked. Cool finalie .

Saw "The Gentlemen" at the theater this evening. Great movie, especially if you like Guy Richie's style that he used in some of his early films. Hugh Grant is almost unrecognizable in a role totally different from what he usually plays.

Watched Annie Hall a couple days ago. It was the first time I've seen it all the way through, though I'm sure I've seen portions of it in the past, as I recall a lot of the gags in the first couple acts, e.g. the business about the Aryan record store clerk who tried selling Woody some Wagner records, the business where he's carrying on about the Kennedy assassination, etc. For some reason, I also remember the dual analysts sequence, where Woody says "We hardly ever have sex" and Diane Keaton says "We're having sex ALL THE TIME" and they both say "about three times a week", but that seems to be much later in the movie than I remember it occurring.

I also love the bit where he's wondering what happened to the kids he went to school with, and each kid stands up says what they're doing now. The one girl says "I'm into leather". I wonder if that girl actually knew what that line meant, or if it was one of those "Trust us, the adults will think it's hilarious, and you will too when you're grown up" things.

Good movie.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched Annie Hall a couple days ago. It was the first time I've seen it all the way through,

blah blah cut to fit into this timeslot,
    Get out of my head Mr. Geek. Just the other day, somehow in my minds travels, I was thinking of Woody and how I'd never seen any of his films. Not even Tiger Lily. Why he even popped into me head, I don't know. Kind of irrelevant these days.

Someday I'll get to Woody.

Moving along.

Murder on the Orient Express - 2017 - Kenneth Branagh

It's Branagh, so it's gold. He's got the balls to get everyone to play in his films and he's conquered Shakespeare so he's got that but he's actually a really good director. All the clues you see, yet don't see, frakking great. Pulling off Poirot actually seemed easy for him as Poirot is way too much fun.

Free State of Jones - Matthew McConaughey

Loved it. I'm a sucker for Civil War era stuff and this was really good. Mostly factually correct except scholars debate whether the people there thought he was helping or not. The flash forwards to his relatives in the '40's really gave the story some impact.

Stupid racism.

Anyway....moving on....

Silver Lake - 2018 - Martin Starr - twenty years removed from Freaks and Geeks, he's matured. Big time. He's wonderful in this role.

There's nothing in this movie that will excite you. No superheros acting to a green screen, no big car chases or shoot 'em ups.

Just people, trying to live their lives and trying, in their middle ages, to figure out who they are as a person, and how to make that work in the real world. The two young daughters in this film are priceless.

A very sweet movie. I highly recommend this one. The ending is worth it.

It made me feel happy and I don't ever get that from movies.

I wish I could use the right words to describe this movie.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Get out of my head Mr. Geek. Just the other day, somehow in my minds travels, I was thinking of Woody and how I'd never seen any of his films. Not even Tiger Lily. Why he even popped into me head, I don't know. Kind of irrelevant these days.

Someday I'll get to Woody.
    Most of his movies I've never seen either. I'm mainly a fan of his early, sort of zanier pictures, notably Take The Money And Run, Bananas, Sleeper and Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex (But Were Afraid To Ask). Of those, Bananas is my favorite. One of the absolute funniest movies I've ever seen in my life, and it never gets old, either.

I have Stardust Memories on VHS, recorded off the A&E or USA channel back in the 80's, I don't think I've always watched it many times, but enough that I could see it was obviously inspired by Fellini's 8 1/2 when I saw that picture some years later (I eventually read that working title of Stardust Memories was 4, because Woody considered himself not even half the filmmaker that Fellini was). I also remember seeing Purple Rose Of Cairo on cable TV back in the 80's, and I also watched Sweet And Lowdown some years back (how could I resist a movie about a jazz guitarist obsessed with Django Reinhardt?). They're all good pictures, but those early pictures I still think are the best.

Most of his movies I've never seen either. I'm mainly a fan of his early, sort of zanier pictures, notably Take The Money And Run, Bananas, Sleeper and Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex (But Were Afraid To Ask). Of those, Bananas is my favorite. One of the absolute funniest movies I've ever seen in my life, and it never gets old, either.

I have Stardust Memories on VHS, recorded off the A&E or USA channel back in the 80's, I don't think I've always watched it many times, but enough that I could see it was obviously inspired by Fellini's 8 1/2 when I saw that picture some years later (I eventually read that working title of Stardust Memories was 4, because Woody considered himself not even half the filmmaker that Fellini was). I also remember seeing Purple Rose Of Cairo on cable TV back in the 80's, and I also watched Sweet And Lowdown some years back (how could I resist a movie about a jazz guitarist obsessed with Django Reinhardt?). They're all good pictures, but those early pictures I still think are the best.
    I watched Bananas again recently too...still very funny even now. There are just so too many great moments to choose from...the conversation about giving and receiving...the huge sandwich order for the rebels...the office exercise machine...the snakebite scene...the whole rebel training camp scene itself.

I need to watch Take The Money and Run again, because thats another one of his most consistently funny movies for me.

I think Purple Rose of Cairo is close to perfection. Love Broadway Danny Rose too.

Of his later more serious movies, I really liked Crimes and Misdemeanours.

But it was Radio Days for me where I started to see the cracks. It made the mistake of constantly telling the audience that the next sequence is the funniest thing ever etc...and it wasnt.

After that is where I started to lose him.

The last of his movies I watched all the way through was Whatever Works. The pairing of him and Larry David I thought would be something...but like a lot of his later movies it was all very slight and mildly amusing.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

A bit surprised to see no mention of the Oscars last night on this thread. Personally, I think 2019 was one of the strongest years Hollywood had had in a long time. I probably went to the theater more this past few months than I have the last few years, just because there were so many really top-quality movies out. Unfortunately, the one that won best picture is one of the few nominated that I have not seen. I plan to check it out on demand when I get time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    A bit surprised to see no mention of the Oscars last night on this thread. Personally, I think 2019 was one of the strongest years Hollywood had had in a long time. I probably went to the theater more this past few months than I have the last few years, just because there were so many really top-quality movies out. Unfortunately, the one that won best picture is one of the few nominated that I have not seen. I plan to check it out on demand when I get time.
    I saw all the noms this year and enjoyed most them to some extent.

A very diverse selection with Parasite being the first foreign language movie to win best picture.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was my favorite movie of the year and I'm glad Brad Pitt got best supporting for it!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I watched Bananas again recently too...still very funny even now. There are just so too many great moments to choose from...the conversation about giving and receiving...the huge sandwich order for the rebels...the office exercise machine...the snakebite scene...the whole rebel training camp scene itself.
    Howard Cosell's play-by-play commentary on the assassination of El Presidente, the court room sequence (particularly J Edgar Hoover), the book store scene ("Hey, Howard, how much is a copy of Orgasm?"), the scene where they try to kidnap the ambassador, etc.
    I need to watch Take The Money and Run again, because thats another one of his most consistently funny movies for me.
    I love the bit where they attempt to rob the bank gets preempted by another gang's robbery.

Howard Cosell's play-by-play commentary on the assassination of El Presidente, the court room sequence (particularly J Edgar Hoover), the book store scene ("Hey, Howard, how much is a copy of Orgasm?"), the scene where they try to kidnap the ambassador, etc.

I love the bit where they attempt to rob the bank gets preempted by another gang's robbery.
    "I am pointing a gub at you, apt natural"
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Sleeper is the one that still breaks me up every time. Note-perfect slapstick.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Allen is one of those artists whose behavior is more than a little problematic (see Ronan Farrow for details) but the early work stands on its own and 2011's Midnight in Paris was a fine film.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    "I am pointing a gub at you, apt natural"
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit. I love the way the teller calls all these other people over, to see if they can read the note. Never mind the fact that a guy is trying to rob the bank, we have to decipher this note first.

Also love it when he breaks out of prison, and he goes out to the street, and there's a queue of taxis there. Also his final arrest at the end of the movie. Also the chain gang making a break for it.

Sleeper is the one that still breaks me up every time. Note-perfect slapstick.[/QUOTE]

Love the party scene with the orb with Woody disguised as the robot, or when Diane Keaton hides him in the Orgasmatron. Also, the scene where the historian shows him the footage of Howard Cosell and puts forth his theory that Cosell was used to punish who had committed particularly heinous crimes, and Woody just says "That's exactly right!".

When Sleeper played in Germany, the scene where he starts up the 200 year old Volkswagen (whihc, I understand wouldn't work in real life because gasoline breaks down over time), they dubbed in a bit of his character smugly saying "Und lauft und lauft und lauft und lauft" (translation: "It runs and runs and runs and runs") which was Volkswagen's slogan at the time.

Ya know, another funny thing about Woody Allen is he's also a clarinet player. Back in the 90's, I used to hang out a record store where a Dixieland CD that he played on. We were debating if it could be the same Woody Allen. At the time I wasn't sure, but hten later I was watching probably Bananas for the umpteenth and realized there was a lot of Dixieland music in that picture, so I figured it must have been. The other night, after TCM ran Annie Hall (they actually showed it twice, a week apart), Ben Mankiewicz pointed out that Woody skipped that year's Oscars (for which Annie Hall had several nominations, some of which it actually won) because he had a standing gig playing clarinet every Tuesday night or whatever it was at a club in NYC. He then noted that Woody usually didn't do those kind of things anyway.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-11-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm watching Super 8 right now. So far, very entertaining. Not related, but it reminds me to Stranger Things (kids cast, that it).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm watching Super 8 right now. So far, very entertaining. Not related, but it reminds me to Stranger Things (kids cast, that it).
    Both of them owe a bit to things like The Goonies, although Stranger Things has more Stephen King influences I think.

Loved Super 8, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Both of them owe a bit to things like The Goonies, although Stranger Things has more Stephen King influences I think.

Loved Super 8, btw.
    Big fan of those as well. Nostalgic with good thrills, but I'm a sucker for the 80's vibe because it's when I grew up so I'll always be drawn to these types of things. I can't get enough of those 80's synth soundtracks and never 'skip intro' when watching Stranger Things
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Big fan of those as well. Nostalgic with good thrills, but I'm a sucker for the 80's vibe because it's when I grew up so I'll always be drawn to these types of things. I can't get enough of those 80's synth soundtracks and never 'skip intro' when watching Stranger Things
    Same here! I never skip that Stranger Things intro.

It Follows is another great synthy 80s horror throwback.
    Last edited by nosebone; 02-12-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

so, I was thinking about films with Kirk Douglas and my favorites...
    one of his early films where he plays a mob boss Out Of The Past is great. Also Seven Days In May is a great one

anyone else have any other favorites?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

There Was A Crooked Man.

so, I was thinking about films with Kirk Douglas and my favorites...
    one of his early films where he plays a mob boss Out Of The Past is great. Also Seven Days In May is a great one

The Vikings for sure
    The Bad And The Beautiful
    The War Wagon
    Sparticus is great but to long
    Two Weeks In Another Town
    Young Man With A horn , Doris Day is smoking
    Gunfight At The Ok Corral