Page 176 of 397 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Klonk is just pissed that the last time he went to the theater he got kicked for for sitting in the recliner in just his underwear.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have never in my life been to a movie theater that serves drinks other than soft, or food other than candy and popcorn and petrified hot dogs. We have an older, cheap theater, and a newer, overpriced theater. Same everywhere I've been in the West. Big cities have more theaters, but none have had bars or food to brag about.
    I live in a small Midwestern city. We had a theater open about 10 years ago called Alamo Draft house that had about 30 different taps and a full food menu. Once they opened all of the other theaters in town started doing the same thing fairly quickly. The big reclining chairs are more recent, just in the past few years, but all 3 of the theaters in my town now have them.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I went to one of those on my last trip to Westchester, NY... unbelievable with the wide, electric recliners that go all the way to bed position
    The only problem with the reclining seats is after drinking a 24 oz Two Hearted Ale and finishing my popcorn it is sometimes hard to stay awake. I actually dozed off in a crucial part of "Knives Out" a few weeks ago, and then had no clue what was going on the rest of the movie. Getting old sucks.........

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...but you just said you don't have a home theater in your condo. Don't knock it until you've tried it man! You can get a nice home theater setup for good prices nowadays and the experience is quite intimate, hair-raising and just as thrilling as in the theater...not to mention there are NO distractions.

The theaters by me all have comfy reclining chairs, great sound, decent food and (some) beer which is all well and good and a shit ton of fun with groups of friends...still not worth the ridiculous prices. Not by a long shot.
    I wasn't knocking it, home theaters are nice don't get me wrong. Just saying that it doesn't compare or even come close to the theater experience for me. I've been in someone else's home theater to watch a movie once or twice, and I liked it. That was down in Florida though, and they don't live there anymore.

When it comes to some movies, watching at home is the only real option. I do it plenty. To me, there's something special about going to the movie theater. Especially with friends or an enthusiastic audience. The energy can make for a really enjoyable time that can't be replicated anywhere else IMO. It can get expensive though, and I avoid seeing anything in 3D nowadays -- Avatar and Tron: Legacy were the only movies I felt really benefited from the 3D treatment, especially the latter since it already looked like a videogame.

Klonk is just pissed that the last time he went to the theater he got kicked for for sitting in the recliner in just his underwear.

it felt like home...I just thought I was doing what anyone would do!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The only problem with the reclining seats is after drinking a 24 oz Two Hearted Ale and finishing my popcorn it is sometimes hard to stay awake. I actually dozed off in a crucial part of "Knives Out" a few weeks ago, and then had no clue what was going on the rest of the movie. Getting old sucks.........
    I'm sorry Steve, but that's funny!

This is where I'm at. No desire to go to a theater anymore. It's just as thrilling with the system I have and not worth the $$
    Dont get me wrong, I still go to the cinema and try and watch the big movies on an IMAX screen, but it's just that from everything I have seen and read about this movie there is not enough to entice me to a cinema viewing.

Anyway, spectacle, great camerawork etc is usually ok for a one-off viewing, but such movies rarely bear repeat viewing.

That supports the notion of that old misnomer about people being so bored by movies they say it put them to sleep.

You dont sleep because you are bored, you sleep because you are tired. You may not know you are tired, you may not even feel tired...but sit in a dark cinema with comfy seats for a couple of hours and it's very easy to nod off.

The proof of that is you fall asleep even if you are enjoying a movie...its not just bad movies that 'put you to sleep'.

it felt like home...I just thought I was doing what anyone would do!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    That supports the notion of that old misnomer about people being so bored by movies they say it put them to sleep.

You dont sleep because you are bored, you sleep because you are tired. You may not know you are tired, you may not even feel tired...but sit in a dark cinema with comfy seats for a couple of hours and it's very easy to nod off.

The proof of that is you fall asleep even if you are enjoying a movie...its not just bad movies that 'put you to sleep'.
    While that's all scientifically true, I'd say it's more about a way to express ones dislike of a movie than actually falling asleep.

You don't sleep because you are bored, you sleep because you are tired. You may not know you are tired, you may not even feel tired...but sit in a dark cinema with comfy seats for a couple of hours and it's very easy to nod off.
    From the scientific journal, Nature:

Virtually all living organisms with a nervous system, ranging from worms to humans, exhibit sleep or sleep-like behaviour as a neurological function. Sleep regulation is conceptualised by the popular “two-process” model that posits homoeostatic and circadian drives control sleep...

Sleep/wake behaviour, however, is also influenced by cognitive and emotional factors. Humans often defy sleepiness and stay awake when attention is necessary, but also experience an inescapable desire to sleep during boring situations. The mechanisms by which motivational stimuli interact with sleep/wake behaviour are not accounted for by the two-process model and the brain mechanisms governing the regulation of sleep by cognitive and emotional factors are largely unknown. (Slow-wave sleep is controlled by a subset of nucleus accumbens core neurons in mice)

If you'd rather not read the academic paper - written by research doctors - you can read the synopses of it from one of these publications:

Science Daily: Why do we fall asleep when bored?
    Asian Scientist Magazine: Why Boredom Makes You Sleepy
    Daily Mail: Why we fall asleep when we are bored

This explains why I've felt excited to see a movie only to discover it was boring and then fell asleep.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All I know is "Knives Out' was a very good movie in my opinion, but.......I dozed off at the point where the will was read. In a whodunnit mystery movie that was not a wise move.

All I know is "Knives Out' was a very good movie in my opinion, but.......I dozed off at the point where the will was read. In a whodunnit mystery movie that was not a wise move.
    Yeah, that was not a good time to fall asleep.

Very good movie too.

I don't remember seeing this one mentioned, Serenity. The 2019 one not the early 2000's Firefly movie. This one stars Matthew McConaughey , Anne Hathaway , Dianne Lane. It flopped in theater release, and generally not viewed favorably. This I found out after renting from Netflix. Its an odd movie , but one I really liked. Off beat deliberate paced movie , ostensibly about a charter fishing captain living in hiding in some carribian island obsessed with catching his "Moby Dick" tuna and drinking himself to death. His ex wife tracks him down offering 10 million to kill her new and abusive husband. Up to this plot point its an odd , moody crime pic. Then it tacks a hard left and twists off the movie map. I won't spoil the twist(s) but they surprised me. One could say dirivative of other flics but I was into it. McConaughey has made some adventurous role choices since his rom-com days , my reason for checking this one out. Anyone liking Twilight Zoney stuff might well like this one. No hints , nothing I can think of wouldn't blow the trick. I go 8 of 10 easy. Way over IMBD's rating. But screw them

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    6 Underground. Popcorn caper flick on Netflix with Ryan Reynolds and the most insane opening 15 minutes I think I've ever witnessed. A little bit of a hot mess as I had a hard time with the time jumps, but worth a peek, if only for that glorious opening. Reynolds is at his Deadpool best with a slew of memorable one-liners. Fun ride!

8 out of 10 magnetized henchmen.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    6 Underground. Popcorn caper flick on Netflix with Ryan Reynolds and the most insane opening 15 minutes I think I've ever witnessed. A little bit of a hot mess as I had a hard time with the time jumps, but worth a peek, if only for that glorious opening. Reynolds is at his Deadpool best with a slew of memorable one-liners. Fun ride!

8 out of 10 magnetized henchmen.
    The action in this was so damn good I didn't even care what it was about . Eye candy in 4K HDR

Sweetheart

Indie creature flick set on a small tropical island where a woman is found washed ashore. Not a bad little flick here. Short, fairly thrilling once it gets going and pretty cool creature. Nothing spectacular here folks, but if you want a late night, monster thrill that will hold your interest (well kept me interested at least and we know that aint saying much ) for about 80-90 mins, I'd say "why not?"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Under The Silver Lake - a noir-style mystery/conspiracy that takes place in modern-day Los Angeles. Very fun, weird, and intriguing story. My only complaint is it drags a bit in places; editing was not the strong point. But definitely worth watching.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Watching....The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, starring Don Knotts....... Even Otis the drunk from the Andy Griffith Show is in this movie.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Linda Ronstadt: The Sound Of My Voice, last night. Very good documentary about the life of the great singer currently suffering from Parkinsons.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching....The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, starring Don Knotts....... Even Otis the drunk from the Andy Griffith Show is in this movie.
    That is one of my ex's favorite movies.

When I was a kid, our grade school would show a movie once a month after school and every year at Halloween they'd show that movie. I always liked it. They'd also show The Incredible Mr. Limpet, another Don Knotts movie. I liked that one too. Not sure I could sit through either one of them now, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

"And they used Bon Ami!"

The Ghost and Mr Chicken holds up pretty well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Incredible Mr. Limpet
    Funny movie. I wish I were a fish. I've seen it many times.

Finished the Netflix series Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez last night.

I knew very little about Aaron Hernandez before watching this except he killed someone and got caught.

There's a helluva lot more to the story ...., definitely worth watching if you're a true crime fan.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Finished the Netflix series Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez last night.

I knew very little about Aaron Hernandez before watching this except he killed someone and got caught.

There's a helluva lot more to the story ...., definitely worth watching if you're a true crime fan.
    I just finished it the other day. Yup, a lot more too it than I realized as well.