Page 175 of 397 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    In general, I think it makes a huge difference to a movie on the big screen with big sound. Why else spend $40 bucks on a movie and popcorn (best served in a theater) and drinks.
    I agree, it depends on the movie, but I still enjoy the theater experience. In fact I have seen more movies in a theater in the last 3 months than probably the whole last year, just because there have been so many really good ones out. A movie like "1917" will be a totally different experience on tv I think.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You really don't believe a movie about giant monsters is best seen on a big screen? Or a movie like 1917? I don't agree with that, but hey whatever floats your boat. Some films (like those) are light on story, heavy on the experience and/or spectacle -- which is okay, I don't want every film to be the same.
    Dont forget home viewing has changed drastically, now you can have a 70 plus size 4K TV and a surround system. So you can almost duplicate the experience at home.

With 1917, the notion of the spectacle and the camerawork alone is not enough to make me want to see it on the big screen. From all various reports and reviews i have seen thats pretty much all it has going for it. So I am happy to wait for a home viewing.

Big screen 1917 puts you in the battlefield.

It's worth the trip imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Dont forget home viewing has changed drastically, now you can have a 70 plus size 4K TV and a surround system. So you can almost duplicate the experience at home.

With 1917, the notion of the spectacle and the camerawork alone is not enough to make me want to see it on the big screen. From all various reports and reviews i have seen thats pretty much all it has going for it. So I am happy to wait for a home viewing.
    It sounds like you and I go to the movies for different reasons. Which is fine.

This is where I'm at. No desire to go to a theater anymore. It's just as thrilling with the system I have and not worth the $$
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watched that new Halloween movie from last year. First half dragged a bit, really just reiterating stuff that we saw in the original two movies. But the back half was pretty good.

You really don't believe a movie about giant monsters is best seen on a big screen? Or a movie like 1917? I don't agree with that, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    Giant monsters and blockbuster summer movies, Avengers, etc. I can generally pass on, for the most part. I saw that last Mad Max film at the movies, and I didn't care for it as it was too loud and cold. That's the downside of the theater experience. I really have to pick the best time to go to avoid crowds, cell phones, rude people, etc. I did see Blade Runner 2049 that way at a late feature and it was worth it. It all depends. The 1917 may be a good film to see that way. As I've aged that stuff has become less important to me...

I find it interesting all the negative comments from various folks about going to the theater. Maybe it is different where I live, but our theaters are all great. They have big reclining chairs, serve beer, good popcorn, great sound systems, and never super crowded. I have a nice TV at home, and enjoy watching movies on it, but I also still really enjoy the theater experience, especially with the number of great films that came out this year. Different strokes I guess…….

With 1917, the notion of the spectacle and the camerawork alone is not enough to make me want to see it on the big screen. From all various reports and reviews i have seen thats pretty much all it has going for it. .
    I thought it was great, and deserved the Golden Globe best picture that it won. Almost all of the reviews that I have read have been positive too.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I find it interesting all the negative comments from various folks about going to the theater. Maybe it is different where I live, but our theaters are all great. They have big reclining chairs, serve beer, good popcorn, great sound systems, and never super crowded. I have a nice TV at home, and enjoy watching movies on it, but I also still really enjoy the theater experience, especially with the number of great films that came out this year. Different strokes I guess…….
    For me, there is no comparison between a 70 inch screen and a 7000 inch one.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

For me, there is no comparison between a 70 inch screen and a 7000 inch one.
    We have two beautiful art cinemas near us with full bars & great food.

They play a lot of classics also like Jaws, Chinatown, Planet of the Apes etc.

Its a nice night out for movie geeks like us!

My theater choices are pretty dismal and we've always got to consider what to do with a couple of fragile dogs that don't do well when left at home. We hardly ever see a movie in the theater any more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

None of these theaters have pause buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    None of these theaters have pause buttons.
    tru dat
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone
    We have two beautiful art cinemas near us with full bars & great food.
    I have never in my life been to a movie theater that serves drinks other than soft, or food other than candy and popcorn and petrified hot dogs. We have an older, cheap theater, and a newer, overpriced theater. Same everywhere I've been in the West. Big cities have more theaters, but none have had bars or food to brag about.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have never in my life been to a movie theater that serves drinks other than soft, or food other than candy and popcorn and petrified hot dogs. We have an older, cheap theater, and a newer, overpriced theater. Same everywhere I've been in the West. Big cities have more theaters, but none have had bars or food to brag about.
    Sorry, I didn't meant to brag

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I didn't take it personal. I think they do things differently in different parts of the country, and the world. Serving good food and drinks is a good idea, if they're going to charge you an arm and a leg anyway.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

We have at least two theaters here where I live (in Alabama, not exactly the most metropolitan place) that serve food and adult beverages. Some of it's pretty good actually.

Personally, I love going to the movies. The whole experience is exciting, plus there's the popcorn and the big immersive screen and sound system. My brother and I go together to see every Star Wars and Marvel movie in a theater whenever they come out.

I don't make enough money to afford to put a home theater room in my condominium, so watching movies on my couch at home doesn't even begin to compare to the theater experience. There isn't anyone in my circle of family/friends/acquaintances who has a setup like that either. If you have a home setup that outdoes the big theaters, well, hats off to you.

I'm well aware of how home viewing has changed. But I'm sorry, a 70+ inch TV and surround sound doesn't even come close to duplicating the theater experience at home for me. YMMV.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The theater I go to has the reclining seats with tons of foot room. Love it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Same here. There are multiple theaters in town that have reclining seats now, so it seems to be catching on.

I went to one of those on my last trip to Westchester, NY... unbelievable with the wide, electric recliners that go all the way to bed position
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm well aware of how home viewing has changed. But I'm sorry, a 70+ inch TV and surround sound doesn't even come close to duplicating the theater experience at home for me. YMMV.
    ...but you just said you don't have a home theater in your condo. Don't knock it until you've tried it man! You can get a nice home theater setup for good prices nowadays and the experience is quite intimate, hair-raising and just as thrilling as in the theater...not to mention there are NO distractions.

The theaters by me all have comfy reclining chairs, great sound, decent food and (some) beer which is all well and good and a shit ton of fun with groups of friends...still not worth the ridiculous prices. Not by a long shot.

Green Room

Punk band gets a gig at a neo nazi bar where they witness something they shouldn't and wind up having to fight for survival. I'd heard about this so decided to give it a whirl last night. It was very violent and actually pretty exhilarating! Similar exhilaration as something like Assault on Precinct 13 off the top of my head. Seen it before ending, but I thought this was pretty fun. Patrick Stewart has an interesting role slightly different than the Star Trek guy

Klonk is just pissed that the last time he went to the theater he got kicked for for sitting in the recliner in just his underwear.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence