Page 173 of 397 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    This was also a great way to test out my new LG OLED C9! 4K/HDR is glorious on this thing!

The Monster

Saw this a while back, but it's short and I was in the mood for a quick creature flick fix It's quite good! Practical effects too! Mother and daughter with issues go out on a drive, break down on a woods road and the fun begins! I thought it was really well done and definitely scratched an itch. If you like creature flicks, definitely give this a look.
    I did like this. Thought it was a lot of fun.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Without checking my notes, I think this is the model I wanted to buy over the holidays, but the bastards never discounted it worth speaking of. I'm probably just going to spring for the 2020 model when it comes out.
    Traditionaly TV sales are agressivly discounted just before the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Traditionaly TV sales are agressivly discounted just before the Super Bowl.
    I will keep an eye out.Thanks.

Sliver

Never saw this back then, so I thought I'd catch it on Netflix. Man, there is some really bad acting in this!
    Sharon Stone's body made it tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Without checking my notes, I think this is the model I wanted to buy over the holidays, but the bastards never discounted it worth speaking of. I'm probably just going to spring for the 2020 model when it comes out.
    Costco sale now;
    LG C9 4K UHD OLED
    55" 1450
    65" 2050
    77"4950
    Good prices?

Costco sale now;
    LG C9 4K UHD OLED
    55" 1450
    65" 2050
    77"4950
    Good prices?
    Slightly better than what they were around the holidays.

I read some reviews comparing the CX (think C10) to the C9 and the reviews for the newer model were very favorable. It should drop April or late March.

Then there's microLED, which I hadn't heard of, but may be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sliver

Never saw this back then, so I thought I'd catch it on Netflix. Man, there is some really bad acting in this!
    Sharon Stone's body made it tolerable.
    I saw it sometime in the 90's, I think. It was an ok movie. Aapparently, that's another picture where the studio excised "final cut" privileges, and totally wrecked the film.

Somebody should mention that the Oscar noms are out.

OK, I mentioned it.

Move along, nothing to see here...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I gotta learn to finish my coffee before I read anything online. I read that as 'Oscar moms.'
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Somebody should mention that the Oscar noms are out.

OK, I mentioned it.

Move along, nothing to see here...
    I respectfully disagree. Hollywood made a comeback this year. For me 2019, especially towards the end of the year, has been the best year in movies that I can remember in a long time. There have been some really strong films that have come out this fall / winter and I have probably gone to the theater more in the past few months than I have in the past few years. I have seen quite a few of the films with nominations this year, which has not been the case the last few years either. There are a lot of great films and performances on the Oscar list this time around which is a nice change of pace.

Costco sale now;
    LG C9 4K UHD OLED
    55" 1450
    65" 2050
    77"4950
    Good prices?
    I bought my 55" C9 in October for $1600.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Hollywood made a comeback this year. For me 2019, especially towards the end of the year, has been the best year in movies that I can remember in a long time. There have been some really strong films that have come out this fall / winter and I have probably gone to the theater more in the past few months than I have in the past few years. I have seen quite a few of the films with nominations this year, which has not been the case the last few years either. There are a lot of great films and performances on the Oscar list this time around which is a nice change of pace.
    I am at the stage that awards are completely meaningless to me as far as movies go.

No amount of awards are going to persuade me to watch a movie that does not interest me or appeal to me on some level.

Conversely, if a movie I want to see and end up liking recieves no awards or nominations, and even if its critically slated and does no box office...it matters nothing to me if I have personally enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I am at the stage that awards are completely meaningless to me as far as movies go.

No amount of awards are going to persuade me to watch a movie that does not interest me or appeal to me on some level.

Conversely, if a movie I want to see and end up liking recieves no awards or nominations, and even if its critically slated and does no box office...it matters nothing to me if I have personally enjoyed it.
    +1

I agree. That said , I enjoy checking in on the award show.

I watch award shows through my wife's perception and it has changed my enthusiasm for these shows. She's there to trash or praise the dresses and her commentary (aided by a couple cocktails) is entertaining. "Oh honey, who the hell told you that looked good on you." Back when we lived in a large metropolitan area she'd have friends over for supper and the Academy Awards. Ever been in a room where several women are yelling at once "What the FUCK are you wearing?!" And then the dissection begins.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I watch award shows through my wife's perception and it has changed my enthusiasm for these shows. She's there to trash or praise the dresses and her commentary (aided by a couple cocktails) is entertaining. "Oh honey, who the hell told you that looked good on you."
    Wow, I could have written exactly that!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Academy Awards

2019 - "Green Book"
    2018 - "The Shape of Water"
    2017 - "Moonlight"
    2016 - "Spotlight"
    2015 - "Birdman"
    2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
    2013 - "Argo"
    2012 - "The Artist"
    2011 - "The King's Speech"
    2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
    2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
    2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
    2007 - "The Departed"
    2006 - "Crash"
    2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
    2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
    2003 - "Chicago"
    2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
    2001 - "Gladiator"
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I watch award shows through my wife's perception and it has changed my enthusiasm for these shows. She's there to trash or praise the dresses and her commentary (aided by a couple cocktails) is entertaining. "Oh honey, who the hell told you that looked good on you." Back when we lived in a large metropolitan area she'd have friends over for supper and the Academy Awards. Ever been in a room where several women are yelling at once "What the FUCK are you wearing?!" And then the dissection begins.
    Well that's another thing for me...I find the awards shows themselves to be interminable.

There was time about 25 years or so back I would watch the Oscar's live with a bunch of friends for the whole night.

But the concept of ogling actors, stars, celebrities etc to see what they are wearing, how they are behaving, what they want to say etc is lost on me now.

The best I can say is that if a movie I like gets recognised, or a performance i have enjoyed gets an award I think 'that's nice'. But that's as far as it goes.

Well that's another thing for me...I find the awards shows themselves to be interminable.

There was time about 25 years or so back I would watch the Oscar's live with a bunch of friends for the whole night.

But the concept of ogling actors, stars, celebrities etc to see what they are wearing, how they are behaving, what they want to say etc is lost on me now.

The best I can say is that if a movie I like gets recognised, or a performance i have enjoyed gets an award I think 'that's nice'. But that's as far as it goes.
    bout sums it up for me too...

and I have a degree in Filmmaking
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't have an ounce of desire to ever watch another Oscar's. Especially now without a host. At least when there was a host there was potential for some off the cuff laughs. The stuffiness and preachiness of it all gives me stomach cramps. Besides, most of the movies I watch are far, far away from the red carpet
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I saw "1917" today. Spectacular film making. Presented as (ostensibly) a single follow shot throughout the entire film, it works to perfection. I literally could not take my eyes off the screen. One would be wise to be sure you're settled in at the start, because it draws you in and does not allow your attention to flag until the end. The cast is unknown to me, except for brief cameos by Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth and Richard Madden, but the two central actors are wonderful. Sam Mendes has made one of the best films in recent memory. I loved it and will probably see it again to focus on the many period details included that make the production work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I saw "1917" today. Spectacular film making. Presented as (ostensibly) a single follow shot throughout the entire film, it works to perfection. I literally could not take my eyes off the screen. One would be wise to be sure you're settled in at the start, because it draws you in and does not allow your attention to flag until the end. The cast is unknown to me, except for brief cameos by Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth and Richard Madden, but the two central actors are wonderful. Sam Mendes has made one of the best films in recent memory. I loved it and will probably see it again to focus on the many period details included that make the production work so well.
    Saw it a week ago...I really enjoyed it too! I thought the cinematography and soundtrack combination, really kept your undivided attention. It also had a few faults..but what movie doesn't?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Seeing it Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

I totally get that, but my point is that this year there are actually some great films that are nominated. 2019 has been the best year in new releases in a long time.