Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It appears that someone has memorized every line in The Blues Brothers....
    Doesn't everyone? It's like Monty Python & The Holy Grail and Blazing Saddles, completely quote worthy movies.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Doesn't everyone? It's like Monty Python & The Holy Grail and Blazing Saddles, completely quote worthy movies.
    EVERY Python film, you BLASPHEMER!

Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

John Lee Hooker's super cool performance on Maxwell Street
    That, and Cab Calloway's performance, reignited their respective careers. Cab did a tour of big theaters, playing for a much younger audience than he had seen in decades.

Speaking of cocaine-fueled comedies like The Blues Brothers, another one with both Aykroyd and Belushi was Spielberg's 1941. When I saw it in the theater the first time I thought it was a bit too manic and over-the-top. At some point in the mid-90s I watched it one Thanksgiving afternoon with my dad (who was born in 1918 and grew up on screwball comedies). So I saw it through his eyes and I thought the old man was going to piss himself laughing at the over-the-top bits. Dad died a few years later and that movie retains a warm little corner in my heart.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    EVERY Python film, you BLASPHEMER!

Welease Wodney!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Speaking Of Cab Calloway:

http://dai.ly/x7h66c

Man what's the matter with that cat there?"
    "must be full of reefer"
    "full of reefer?!"
    "yea man"
    "you mean that cats high?!"
    "sailing"
    "sailing"
    "sailing lightly"
    "get away from here
    Man is that the reefer man?"
    "that's the reefer man"
    "I belive he's losing his mind"
    "I think he's lost his mind!"
    Oh have you ever met that funny reefer man reefer man
    have you ever met that funny reefer man reefer man
    If he said he swam to china, and he sell you south carolina
    then you know your talkn to that reefer man
    Have you ever met funny reefer man reefer man
    If he said he walks the ocean, any time he takes the notion
    then you know your talkn to reefer man.
    Have you ever met this funny reefer man reefer man
    oh baby baby baby reefer man reefer man
    If he trades you dimes for nickles
    and calls watermellons pickles
    then you know your talkn to that reefer man
    If he takes a sudden mania
    he'll want to give you pennsylvaina
    oh you know your talking to the reefer man
    If he said one sweet is funny
    because he won't sell me atlantic
    then you know your talkin to that reefer man
    Songwriters: Andy Razaf / J. Russel Robinson
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I agree with you, Hal..., that the combination of comedy and horror is very difficult to pull off. I'm not sure there are any other horror movies that have combined the two and really worked for me. Some might think the Evil Dead films, but the "humor" in those films was very annoying. I only saw the first two. As I recall there wasn't a lot of comedy in the first one (was there any?), but the second was really unwatchable.

For the most part only unintentional comedy works in horror films.

Whedon's Cabin in the Woods had some good meta humor once the plot started rolling. And of course there's always Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Whedon's Cabin in the Woods had some good meta humor once the plot started rolling. And of course there's always Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
    Those are movies that, IMO, aren't really meant to be taken seriously as horror. I guess I should have mentioned that. I mean, sure, Abbot & Costello could combine comedy and "horror," but they were really comedies. Sure the above mentioned films are more gory, but not really scary, as I recall. None of this means they can't work as comedy, or some kind of over-the-top combination, but it's not what I think of (and enjoy) as horror.

I agree w Holy Grail, but I'll go Animal House for a much more quote worthy comedy than Blues Bros, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Romero created the first flesh eating zombies flick.

I met George at a horror convention a couple years ago, and he was the sweetest most unassuming movie person I ever met.

Imagine you're a deer (deah) . You bend your little deahh head down to take a drink , and bamm , a zombie rips your throat out. Would you give a sh*t what kind of jacket it was wearing?
    Point: a zombie is a zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I agree w Holy Grail, but I'll go Animal House for a much more quote worthy comedy than Blues Bros, imo.
    Fat dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son.
    May I have ten thousand marbles please?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Fat dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son.
    May I have ten thousand marbles please?
    Thank you sir, may I have another?
    Christ, seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the f#@king Peace Corps.
    Mr. Blutarsky..... 0.0
    Flounder, you f#@ked up, you trusted us!
    My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
    Why is a Pledge Pin on your lapel!? (Neidermeyer spraying his "p's" in Flounder's face)

That movie came out the summer between HS grad and freshman year in college. We were quoting that film endlessly at rush parties in the summer etc ("I'm Eric Stratton, rush chairman. Damn glad to meet you"), and then when we got to college, toga parties were all the rage. Yeah, we thought we were so suave and hip.....
    I lived on a floor in the dorm freshman year where it was largely split up juniors and freshman in the same section (they did that on purpose). The juniors immediately pegged one poor schlub as "Flounder" and that name stuck throughout college, in addition to having to suffer through multiple "swirlies" at the hands of the upperclassmen.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-30-2018 at 09:09 PM.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Zombieland - Combines humour with horror quite effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Great movie
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yep, that is indeed another that does it successfully.

Wasn't there a Brit movie that combined Comedy & Horror? The Director had another hit close to the same time period. Light just went on. Shaun Of The Dead is the one I'm thinking about. Never saw it though, so maybe it doesn't fit?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Shawn Of The Dead is a fantastic comedy horror movie. The director was Edgar Wright & co-written by Simon Pegg. Their other movie is Hot Fuzz which is even better, parody of an American Cop movie set in a 'peaceful' English country village. One of my favorite movies. Pegg has also done The Worlds End & Paul which work less well for me. Pegg is probably best known now as Scotty in the Star Trek movies and as Benji Dunn in Mission Impossible. Wright went on to write & direct Scott Pilgrim & Baby Driver.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-30-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    Ian

Shawn Of The Dead is a fantastic comedy horror movie
    Arguably the best.

I watched a Netflix original with Forest Whittaker called How it Ends last night. Started off a fairly interesting apocalypse type film and then just fizzled out and went absolutely nowhere. Ridiculous abrupt ending too. Don't waste your time.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

The only reason I think AAWiL is better than TBB is because, as I said earlier, of the perfect blend of comedy & horror, which is really hard to pull off. Otherwise, TBB is such an excellent, modern screwball comedy. So many great moments in that movie.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. I love 'em both (as well as many of John Landis' other pictures).
    I can't explain why but this is my favorite moment in TBB:
    Dammit, I knew I forgot something. There's also, "Now hold on a minute, I haven't even heard these boys sing yet!" You get the feeling that Burton Mercer is on a completely different wavelength, vis-a-vis capturing The Blues Brothers, from Troopers Daniel and Mount.

And yes, I do, apparently, have the ability to recite virtually every line of The Blues Brothers. There's a few other movies I can do that with too, like Student Bodies, The Party, Sixteen Candles and National Lampoon's Vacation. Once you see a movie about 4 or 5 times, that stuff just sort of seeps into your brain.

And speaking of National Lampoon's Vacation, anyone ever notice that the one cousin, the girl, I can't remember her name, but anyone ever notice, she's got the cover of Thin Lizzy's Chinatown album hanging on her bedroom wall?
    I was never a fan of The Blues Brother's comedy/music.
    The comedy isn't that much different from any of the better films starring any of the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players. Foul Play, Seems Like Old Times, Meatballs, Fletch, Animal House, Trading Places, Spies Like Us, they're all cut from a similar cloth, in terms of the style of humor. Incidentally, I happen to all of those movies.

As for the music, well, if you don't dig urban blues, well ok. And sure, John Belushi wasn't the best blues singer, nor Aykroyd the best harp player, but the two of them loved blues and R&B music, and made a movie that was basically a love letter to the genre as a whole. I can maybe see not being into the original act that performed live and made Briefcase Full Of Blues (reputedly, at the time, the biggest selling blues record ever), but I think that's a separate thing from the movie. Briefcase Full Of Blues is a competently performed record, but nothing special, despite the pedigrees in the backup band. The movie, on the other hand, is something else altogether.

You've got some of the greatest R&B vocalists in that film, and Jake and Elwood's backup band is stocked with top flight musicians, including Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn, who were in Booker T & The MG's. Apart from making their own records, they backed just about everyone who recorded for Stax records, including Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, and Albert King. On Soul Man, when Sam Moore calls out "Play it, Steve!", he's talking to Steve Cropper, who'd just played one of the greatest guitar licks ever. Duck Dunne also played with Freddie King, Eric Clapton, and also played on sessions for the likes of Tom Petty, too.

Most of the rest of the guys in that band, other than Murph Dunne (who was more or less an actor who played keyboards, rather than a full time musician), have impressive resumes too. Prog related fact: Blue Lou Marini and Tom "Bones" Malone both played on Frank Zappa's In New York album.

For me, the movie drew me towards the blues. It really took me quite a few years to really get into the music, but it did give me a lot of great clues about where to go to when I was ready to start listening. And from the moment I first heard the play on music during the Palace Hotel Ballroom scene, you know, the music that they play as Cab Calloway is introducing Jake & Elwood, I loved that tune (turns it's actually two tunes: the organ thing playing as Cab is running through his spiel is Time Is Tight, a Booker T & The MG's instrumental from the soundtrack to a movie called Uptight, but when Jake & Elwood make their entrance and the horn section comes in, they're actually playing an Otis Redding tune called Can't Turn You Loose).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-30-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    TheLooney ; I disagree giving Romero the credit for zombie flicks. The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price features zombies and predates NOTLD by 4 years.
    Which actually came from a book titled I Am Legend - sound familiar? - but that's not me arguing just info. I won't argue that Romero came up with the original zombie idea but from that quote it seems he'd neither read the book nor seen the movie so he thinks he did. Romero just made them popular.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Most Vonnegut films suck. The one exception I know of is Mother Night, starring a surprisingly well-cast Nick Nolte. It captures the feel and mood of the book quite well.
    He's also in Breakfast of Champions but damned if I can remember anything about it and I'm sure I watched it sober.

I would think that Vonnegut would be hard to make work in a movie format. Maybe a mini-series or something to that effect but he's just so damned odd. I'd love to see someone try Galapagos or Cat's Cradle - free bag of ice nine with 6-pack(my favorite joke ever from Futurama)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yep, that is indeed another that does it successfully.
    I'd say that Gremlins did okay on that score, too. It was pretty dark and violent to just be called a kids' movie. And there was some grim comedy mixed in.

The second one, of course, was a completely different thing altogether. I love it, but it was pretty much just a cartoon.

Just caught the end of Inside Story - a making of show on A&E - about Jaws and now watching Scarface. Pretty cool. I knew of the problems in Jaws with the shark not working and wish I could have seen the whole show as it seems it was a nightmare, hugely over budget and everyone thought it was going to sink.

Same with Scarface. Problems abound and at the point I'm at here it's only just begun. Funny, the only time I ever watched this whole movie was the first time I did acid.

Love this stuff. One movie can be a helluva movie but the behind the scenes crapola is sometimes so much more crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

1)And yes, I do, apparently, have the ability to recite virtually every line of The Blues Brothers. There's a few other movies I can do that with too, like Student Bodies, The Party, Sixteen Candles and National Lampoon's Vacation. Once you see a movie about 4 or 5 times, that stuff just sort of seeps into your brain.

2)And speaking of National Lampoon's Vacation, anyone ever notice that the one cousin, the girl, I can't remember her name, but anyone ever notice, she's got the cover of Thin Lizzy's Chinatown album hanging on her bedroom wall?

3)You've got some of the greatest R&B vocalists in that film, and Jake and Elwood's backup band is stocked with top flight musicians, including Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn, who were in Booker T & The MG's. Apart from making their own records, they backed just about everyone who recorded for Stax records, including Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, and Albert King. On Soul Man, when Sam Moore calls out "Play it, Steve!", he's talking to Steve Cropper, who'd just played one of the greatest guitar licks ever. Duck Dunne also played with Freddie King, Eric Clapton, and also played on sessions for the likes of Tom Petty, too.

1) Sixteen Candles? What about Pretty in Pink? If I'm going to extensively quote from a Hughes pic, it would be Ferris Bueller.

2) That (the blonde cousin) is Jane Krakowski, who has been in a slew of TV shows and commercials over the years. Ally McBeal, 30 Rock. She is doing the Sonic commercials with the cute gal from The Office lately too.

3) Just so its clear, the great Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper ARE THE REAL Blues Brothers. That is where the movie in essence got its name. Belushi and Aykroyd were doing basically a Sam and Dave act, and Dunn and Cropper were the musicians on those tracks (ie Soul Man). They were known for all that great work they were doing at Stax as you mentioned, ie white guys playing on some of the greatest soul/R&B and blues ever and with Booker T of course. Belushi and Aykroyd kind of stole their schtick, but they went along for the gag.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-31-2018 at 01:22 AM.