Page 169 of 394 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Rewatched Taxi Driver the other night, still a good movie, but this time around had a bit of trouble with the ending being a bit unrealistic due to De Niro's vigilantism, and somehow being treated as a hero at the end.
    Re the ending...different times, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Re the ending...different times, I guess...
    Yup.

Watching the HBO series, Chernobyl. It's pretty interesting. Makes me wonder how things are over in that area now.

Watching the HBO series, Chernobyl. It's pretty interesting. Makes me wonder how things are over in that area now.
    The 8-legged cows love it.

Watched the original Pink Panther movie last night. I always find it amusing that it was supposed to be David Niven's movie, as it were, he has top billing and everything, but Peter Sellers sort of hijacked the picture away. It's a very good movie, though not my favorite of the Pink Panther movies. One thing I never noticed before is this business about him playing the violin: I don't think that's mentioned in any of the subsequent movies, is it? That seems like a gag they used just the once. And one wonders how a police inspector can afford a Stradivarius. Or is he just using "Stradivarius" as a generic word for "violin"?

Anyway, good picture, fun as always, looking forward to watching the other pictures that TCM ran last night and this morning.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The 8-legged cows love it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yup.

Chernobyl was great! As for the area, access is still restricted. I saw a documentary about it but can't remember where or the name of it. I'm thinking it was on PBS.

But that reminds me. There's a low budget horror film about some people (filmmakers?) in the Chernobyl area. I think I saw it on Netflix. Or maybe not. It was somewhat forgettable, iirc.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    There's a low budget horror film about some people (filmmakers?) in the Chernobyl area. I think I saw it on Netflix. Or maybe not. It was somewhat forgettable, iirc.
    Chernobyl Diaries
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Yup.

You can find drone footage on Youtube of flyovers of the area. It is interesting to watch, especially the abandoned amusement park.

Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain - with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. I can see why somone would hate this movie. Same director as the stellar Requim for a Dream. The fountain's story sounds straightforward, a modern-day scientist, Tommy is struggling with mortality, desperately searching for the medical breakthrough that will save the life of his cancer-stricken wife, Izzi. I watched the Fountain with my wife tonight, a sureal romantic movie. I loved every second. Total fantasy with an excellent sound track. Again, I can see how someone might view this as a hot mess but it just clicked and work for both me and my wife.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^^ Aronofsky is hit or miss with me, although mostly hit (I absolutely love Requiem, Black Swan, Pi, and thought The Fountain was quite intriguing). I was less impressed with The Wrestler and I downright hated Mother! which was a drag, since I really expected to love that one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Aronofsky is hit or miss with me, although mostly hit (I absolutely love Requiem, Black Swan, Pi, and thought The Fountain was quite intriguing). I was less impressed with The Wrestler and I downright hated Mother! which was a drag, since I really expected to love that one.
    I missed The Wrestler and Mother and will likely try to avoid them. I've seen Requim, as noted, and Black Swan. He is a very creative thinker/director, I know he wrote the screenplay for The Fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I missed The Wrestler and Mother and will likely try to avoid them. I've seen Requim, as noted, and Black Swan. He is a very creative thinker/director, I know he wrote the screenplay for The Fountain.
    Have you seen Pi? That's his first film, you might like that one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I loved "The Wrestler". I have known a few guys in the wrestling biz and thought it was a very real portrayal. Mickey Roarke is fantastic in that film.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Wrestler was an excellent movie, one of Mickey's best roles, very gritty but really good.

Plus

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Have you seen Pi? That's his first film, you might like that one.
    No, missed that one. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    You can find drone footage on Youtube of flyovers of the area. It is interesting to watch, especially the abandoned amusement park.
    I do a search for it on YT, thanks.

The Babushkas of Chernobly--I think someone alluded to this, but I found it on one of the Roku Channels, maybe Tubi, but it's a documentary about some of the women that stayed behind after the disaster, and how they live their lives presently. I found it interesting in a lot of ways.

^ Are the glow in the dark babooshkas considered a fashion statement?

Ayyy, ayyy - Babushka, babushka, babushka, ya-ya!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm watching a British movie called.....The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll.....whilst stoned. .

Saw "Knives Out" this evening. An old fashioned who dunnit, with a great cast.

Not sure if this belongs here or the B&W thread. Maybe I'll do both.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Finished watchign A Shot In The Dark last night. Great, great picture. But I knew that going in. Can't wait to watch the last three pictures later.

Night Comes On--sort of a downer film about a down and out and homeless young African American woman who gets let out of jail and wants retribution for her mother's death.

Annihilation - well, that was different. Way, way different. I knew the premise of the book so I knew there was going to be some strangeness but this was disturbing (but a good thing).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Couple of streamers on Amazon; The Fanatic stars John Travolta as a big fan of a movie star. I may have posted this before, but it's worth seeing if you're on Amazon Prime.
    Last edited by hippypants; 12-23-2019 at 12:43 AM.