Page 166 of 394 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I used to be somewhat pleased with one of our local theater options but the glam has faded. It's a small town theater and community owned. $5 admission and the popcorn prices start at $1. Pretty good, right. But they got a desperately needed digital sound system a few years ago. The old was a murky and not very loud. The new one has a bad mix with the dialog getting drowned out by the background music. Plus, because this is community owned, the emphasis is on family movies. Yeah, not my cup of tea. So we don't go anymore. The other local option is a small multiplex about forty miles away where the theaters are shoddy but the prices are ghastly. So we stream movies at home or watch HBO.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

House of 1,000 Corpses by Rob Zombie last night. Oh boy! Grungy, disturbed, terrible dialogue, Satanic shit.....loved it!

^ Yeah, that's the prequel to The Devil's Rejects, which is better, imo.

Ok...another shameless namedrop...Joss Whedon came into my place of work in London this week. Security and privacy issues preclude me from elaborating, but I at least got to say hello.

The Keep.

I have watched this a few times over the years. I am partial to Michael Manns movies and this was certainly a disappointment when I first saw it, but I know there were all sorts of production problems with the movie.

I saw it last night on netflix and was curious to see how it looked and sounded...pretty much as bad as it usually does, as it turns out.

And it's never really had a proper release, a scant few cinema showings when it was released in the cinema, very brief video and laser disc release, and never officially on dvd or blu ray.

And the various versions i have seen over the years have also been poor quality. Pan and scan, poor pic and sound, atrocious editing that looks like it was clearly not condoned by Mann himself. It's a mess.

And yet...there is something
    about it. Maybe it's the possibility of what it might have been. There is ambition there, an attempt to do something different. The look of the movie is unusual...the setting, the village, the Keep itself all look great.

The central creature is also clearly underwhelming, obviously another ambitious concept that they could not realise.

And from what I have read in interviews with Mann himself, it does not sound like he feels compelled to go back and remaster or restore it. I dont know what footage etc is in the archives that could be restored, or even if anyone considers its worth spending money restoring the basic film elements themselves.

But i have always that somewhere in that whole mess could be a decent and original movie. But doubtful we will ever see it.

Eli A Netflix original.
    Eli is a young boy who has developed a medical condition where he must live in a sterile environment. Which means the bubble at home and the astronaut looking suit
    when he leaves the bubble. His parents are desperate to find a cure. They find a doctor who uses unconventional methods but guarantees success, so they take him there.
    This is adequately suspenseful and has an ending I did not expect. Recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Eli
    This is adequately suspenseful and has an ending I did not expect.
    He grows up to be an erratic NFL quarterback?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He grows up to be an erratic NFL quarterback?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The Keep.
    When I was a kid, I used to watch this show on Nickelodeon called Lights! Camera Action! It was hosted by Leonard Nimoy, and they basically showed the "making of" featurettes that studios used to produce for their "big" movies that were about to come out, and Nimoy would do an introduction to each film, maybe reveal some trivia, and interview guests, and such.

Anyway, I remember one of the movies that covered on the show was The Keep. Really cool piece, with interviews Mann, some of the cast members, and all the usual behind the scenes stuff. I remember thinkign, "This looks like it's gonna be a cool movie", and was anxious to see it either on release or at least, on HBO. Then nothing. I'm sure that episode aired several times, and one kept thinking, "When are we gonna get to see this picture?". Over the years, one occasionally heard talk of the film, particularly once I got online and fell in with a Tangerine Dream fan group. But I never actually saw the movie until circa 2012, when I downloaded a version, sourced from a European TV broadcast, I believe, from Cinemaggedon. A good picture, but I always heard of stories about how things didn't go as planned with the making of the film. The guy who was doing the special effects passed 3/4's of the way through the making of the film, and then the studio pulled it's funding for the film, so Mann was never able to finish the film the way he had envisioned.

I remember another movie I saw featured on Lights! Camera! Action! that didn't get a proper release was a great animated picture (which, now that I think about it, I've probably talked about before) called Rock & Rule. Again, I thought "This looks like a cool movie", and was anxious to see it. I didn't have to wait quite as long as with The Keep, I think I ended up renting it on VHS in the mid or late 80's, but that was another picture I wish I could have seen in a theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The Keep.

I have watched this a few times over the years. I am partial to Michael Manns movies and this was certainly a disappointment when I first saw it, but I know there were all sorts of production problems with the movie.

I saw it last night on netflix and was curious to see how it looked and sounded...pretty much as bad as it usually does, as it turns out.

And it's never really had a proper release, a scant few cinema showings when it was released in the cinema, very brief video and laser disc release, and never officially on dvd or blu ray.

And the various versions i have seen over the years have also been poor quality. Pan and scan, poor pic and sound, atrocious editing that looks like it was clearly not condoned by Mann himself. It's a mess.

And yet...there is something
    about it. Maybe it's the possibility of what it might have been. There is ambition there, an attempt to do something different. The look of the movie is unusual...the setting, the village, the Keep itself all look great.

The central creature is also clearly underwhelming, obviously another ambitious concept that they could not realise.

And from what I have read in interviews with Mann himself, it does not sound like he feels compelled to go back and remaster or restore it. I dont know what footage etc is in the archives that could be restored, or even if anyone considers its worth spending money restoring the basic film elements themselves.

But i have always that somewhere in that whole mess could be a decent and original movie. But doubtful we will ever see it.
    It really is horrible. But I love the books. Actually, I read the first one every few years.

Saw The Irishman last night and I think it lives up to the hype. Watching DeNiro, Pacino, and Pesci interact through the whole film is like watching a master class on acting. These 3 guys may be getting up there in age, but they are still amazing actors. I would guess that all 3 of them will get Oscar nominations. The supporting cast is all great too with Stephen Graham, and Ray Ramano especially standing out. The film is very long. Towards the end I kind of thought they could have sped things up a bit, but that is a minor criticism. The film tells Frank Sheehan’s story as he told it back before he died in real life. How true everything is, can be debated, but it makes a great story. I can’t imagine that any fans of Scorsese, DeNiro, Pesci or Pacino would not enjoy this movie.

Buchanan Rides Alone--western directed by Budd Boetticher and starring Randolph Scott. Pretty good western, although there's an episode in the middle of the film that's a bit far fetched. Still I enjoy a good western.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Buchanan Rides Alone--western directed by Budd Boetticher and starring Randolph Scott. Pretty good western, although there's an episode in the middle of the film that's a bit far fetched. Still I enjoy a good western.
    A very good western. Have you seen the other Boetticher / Scott westerns? I think Theres 5. Four are excellent , one is not as good but still a cut above most.

Crown Vic (2019)

A hardened veteran and his academy fresh partner defend an LA night in this above average cop thriller.

Reminded me of 1988s Colors starring Robert Duvall and Sean Penn.

Recommended..., on Amazon Prime video
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For anyone who cares to know, they're showing the Pink Panther moves in TCM on Friday. By that, I mean, the REAL Pink Panther movies, no imposters pretending to be Clouseau, and neither of those movies Blake Edwards threw together after Peter Sellers went home. In other words, five of the funniest movies ever made. OK, well, four and two thirds of the funniest movies, Revenge Of The Pink Panther kinda falls apart about during the last reel. But still, the first 2/3's makes up for it.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yep, PP, A Shot in the Dark, PP Returns, and Strikes Again are laugh-out-loud classics.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Does your dog bite?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Does your dog bite?
    One word: Oktoberfest!

"It'll be a shooting gallery!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's amazing with that brilliant comedic talent that Peter was such a tortured soul in real life. I definitely love his acting/comedy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's amazing with that brilliant comedic talent that Peter was such a tortured soul in real life. I definitely love his acting/comedy.
    That seems to be the case of a lot of comedy performers. A lot of them seem to be struggling with depression and other issues. See: Robin Williams.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    "The pheeyone is arringing."
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Speaking of The Irishman, Robert DeNiro was on Stephen Colbert's show Monday night. I watched it last night and discovered The Irishman is being shown on Netflix, too!

I'll probably watch it tomorrow since there's usually nothing good on TV on Thanksgiving.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Speaking of The Irishman, Robert DeNiro was on Stephen Colbert's show Monday night. I watched it last night and discovered The Irishman is being shown on Netflix, too!
    It started airing today. I'm so excited! But I'm not watching it until Sunday because the wife wants to see it too. Can't wait though!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I'll probably watch it tomorrow since there's usually nothing good on TV on Thanksgiving.
    Not sure if you saw some of the earlier posts in this thread, but "The Irishman" is a Netflix film totally financed by them. It was just given a limited theatrical release so that it could be considered for The Oscars (I think it will get many nominations). I was not aware that it was coming to Netflix so quickly, but apparently it started today.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure if you saw some of the earlier posts in this thread, but "The Irishman" is a Netflix film totally financed by them. It was just given a limited theatrical release so that it could be considered for The Oscars (I think it will get many nominations).
    I knew the movie had been mentioned before, I just couldn't remember any of the details.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe