Page 165 of 397 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

^ I've seen the trailer and intended to seek it out. I wasn't aware of the limited release, so I'll have to prioritize it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I've seen the trailer and intended to seek it out. I wasn't aware of the limited release, so I'll have to prioritize it.
    Here is an article as to why the theatrical release is so limited: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...inema-near-you

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here is an article as to why the theatrical release is so limited: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...inema-near-you
    I'd have to side in with the theaters on that one.

Yup, I totally get where they are coming from, but the downside is we are going to have to drive 90 minutes to see it in a theater. As mentioned, we were planning to visit some friends of ours who are also into seeing the film anyway, so it will all work out, but it would be nice to be able to see it locally. Anyway.....I am pretty geeked for it. I pretty much love all things Scorsese, and this cast has many of my favorite actors. I have also read the book it is based on. Frank Shareen, basically wrote his autobiography on his death bed, and claims to have been involved in the death (and disposal) of Jimmy Hoffa among other high profile cases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Versus Bracket
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

We just saw "Jojo Rabbit", a fantastic film. It's funny and goofy and sad and touching and the performance by Roman Griffin Davis as 10-year-old Nazi wannabe Jojo is tremendous. This is one I'll see again.

Another more practical reason is that a 3 hour movie means less screenings per day, maybe 3 at most whereas with a 90 min or 2 hour movie they can get 5 screenings in.

Less screenings less profit, less food and drink sold.

And Scorcese movies dont attract the sort of clientele that like to stuff their faces with food anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

And Scorcese movies dont attract the sort of clientele that like to stuff their faces with food anyway.
    That seems like a strange statement. I plan on getting some popcorn and a beer. I agree regarding your comment on a 3 hour movie as that could be a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That seems like a strange statement. I plan on getting some popcorn and a beer. I agree regarding your comment on a 3 hour movie as that could be a deterrent.
    Not saying people dont buy food at all, butvhis movies are not what I would call popcorn movies.

I find that when I go to see blockbusters, comedies, superhero and generally family orientated movies people consume vast amounts of food in the cinema...in fact so much so that half of it ends up on the floor afterwards.

I am not a big eater in the cinema personally, at most I will have a bottle of water and maybe a bag of sweets.

Not saying people dont buy food at all, butvhis movies are not what I would call popcorn movies.

I find that when I go to see blockbusters, comedies, superhero and generally family orientated movies people consume vast amounts of food in the cinema...in fact so much so that half of it ends up on the floor afterwards.

I am not a big eater in the cinema personally, at most I will have a bottle of water and maybe a bag of sweets.
    Cool, that makes sense. I still pretty much always get popcorn at a theater. Part of the ritual for me regardless of what I am seeing

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Popcorn is half the fun of the movie experience.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Unfortunately 90% of mine is gone by the time the movie actually starts.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Maybe it's a cultural divide thing but popcorn on the cinema is not quite a tradition over here...its sold but it tends to be stuff like pick n mix, nachos, bags of sweets etc that are more popular.

Plus...we never got into the hot butter thing either...many is the time when working in a cinema i had bitter complaints from US tourists about no hot butter. It was considered almost sacrilegious...

Maybe it's a cultural divide thing but popcorn on the cinema is not quite a tradition over here...its sold but it tends to be stuff like pick n mix, nachos, bags of sweets etc that are more popular.

Plus...we never got into the hot butter thing either...many is the time when working in a cinema i had bitter complaints from US tourists about no hot butter. It was considered almost sacrilegious...
    and it's not even really butter; it's just melted Crisco
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Crisco? You lucky bastard. Around here we get lightly-flavored Pennzoil.

I never really got into popcorn though. My gums are a little loose around my teeth and I always get those little shell bits caught under them. Painful. Bigly!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I used to do the popcorn and soda pop thing when I went to moves when I was a kid. But I don't anymore. I'm always worried I'll have to get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the movie. That actually happened during one of the Lord Of THe Rings movies, but it was because I was going through this thing of drinking whatever amount of water it is the experts say your'e supposed to drink every day, and that made it necessary for me to visit the urinal about 2/3's of the way into the movie.

I'm not all that crazy about popcorn anyway.

I'm reminded of the scene in It Came From Hollywood where Cheech and CHong at are the snack bar, and Chong is basically ordering one of everythign. He finally asks for popcorn, the lady gets the container for it and he says "No, that's the baby size, I want the daddy size", she comes back with what's basically a bucket, nad he says, "You got anything bigger than that?". Then later, when he sits down next to Cheech in the theater, he has what appears to be a plastic garbage can full popcorn and other treats.

No insult intended but of many reasons I rarly attend theater movies is the ever present din of hundreds of hamsters nibbling on the corn. My feet sticking to the floor isn't to cool either.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    No insult intended but of many reasons I rarly attend theater movies is the ever present din of hundreds of hamsters nibbling on the corn. My feet sticking to the floor isn't to cool either.
    I retired in August and have started going to the theaters again, but now on weekday afternoons. It's the best. Nearly empty auditoriums, no one yakking, no phones glowing, no lines. I've been to more movies in the last three months than I had in the previous fifteen years and had forgotten how different the experience can be. I still enjoy watching at home, but there's something about the big screen that is special. Now that I can avoid all the distractions/annoyances it's much easier to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I retired in August and have started going to the theaters again, but now on weekday afternoons. It's the best. Nearly empty auditoriums, no one yakking, no phones glowing, no lines. I've been to more movies in the last three months than I had in the previous fifteen years and had forgotten how different the experience can be. I still enjoy watching at home, but there's something about the big screen that is special. Now that I can avoid all the distractions/annoyances it's much easier to enjoy.
    My first job was in a movie theater and I saw a ton of movies, some of them so many times I couldn't count, like Alien, Apocalypse Now (I tried to never miss the scene with the Playboy Bunnies), Breaking Away, The Empire Strikes Back, Urban Cowboy, Halloween, Caddyshack, An American Werewolf in London, and, unfortunately, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again.

There's something to be said for seeing a popular movie with a lot of people in the theater, especially when you know what's coming. There's something satisfying about a crowd's reaction to John Travolta kicking Scott Glenn's ass in Urban Cowboy or hearing all the girls scream during Halloween.

OTOH, I saw An American Werewolf in London during the week, right after school when the theater was empty. I sat in the second or third row and was . OMG, that was one of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

I saw Angel Heart in a packed theater uptown in NYC and during the scene when Lisa Bonet gets naked, some dude yelled in a disappointed voice, "oh, Lisa no, no." Half the audience broke out in laughter.

Then people started getting rude. Not sure when it started but the first time I noticed it was during Major League (my girlfriend at the time wanted to see it). There was some young woman, who'd obviously already seen it, telling her boyfriend all about it - as we were watching it! She'd say things like, "here comes a good part" or "wait 'til you see what so and so does." How fucking annoying.

The same GF and I went to see Imagine, the documentary about John Lennon. The theater was relatively empty and we got seats with no one around us. About 10 minutes after it started, two girls and a guy, all teenagers, sat in the seats directly behind us. The two girls started talking. I turned my head and said, "do you mind? Thank you!" The guy said, "I wasn't talking." My GF leaned over a minute or two later and told me they were throwing popcorn in her hair. We got up and moved. I really regret not complaining to the manager that time.

Those were aberrations, tho, and I never had a problem until the movie Contact. You may remember that it was released about 6 months after Carl Sagan died. Three women sitting over in the left side section talked through three quarters of it (we were sitting in the middle section and 5-10 rows in front of them; that's how loud they were). I noticed at one point they finally shut up. After the movie ended, but before the credits began rolling, there was an intertitle that read, "For Carl". One of the women said loud enough for everyone to hear, "for Carl? Who's Carl?" To this day I can't see that movie without thinking of that bitch.

But my worst experience was when I saw The Fellowship of the Ring. The theater was packed. About 15 minutes, or more, after the movie started, an elderly couple walked in and sat in the row behind us, a couple seats down. About 10 or 15 minutes after that, I noticed the horrid, rotten egg smell of flatulence. My wife at the time whispered to me, "oh my God, that wasn't you, was it?" I said, "no, I think it might be one of the Asian girls sitting next to me." About 10 minutes after it subsided, it happened again and continued happening about every 10 minutes, or so it seemed. About three quarters of the way into the movie, the elderly couple got up. The husband went down and sat in a row near the exit as his wife walked out. The whole time they were gone we were odor free. When she walked back into the theater, he got up and they sat behind us again. It started up again about 15 minutes later. After the movie was over, my ex commented on it and I said in a voice loud enough for the elderly couple to hear, "what the fuck is wrong with people!? You don't pass gas in public!"

The straw that broke the camel's back was a young couple in front of us talking through The Sixth Sense. The really bad part was, after we shushed them a time or two, my ex finally kicked the seat of one of the people in front of us and told them to shut up, which they did... for about five minutes. A few minutes after that we left. I complained to the manager and fortunately we got our money back.

I've rarely gone to the theater since.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Crisco? You lucky bastard. Around here we get lightly-flavored Pennzoil.
    Pennzoil?!? Ah, what I wouldn't give to get Pennzoil. When I was a lad, we had to SCRAPE the used car oil off the garage floor with a butter knife.

Curious....where do you live?

In the U.S. movies and popcorn are definitely a tradition. The theaters around me all have dispensers where you can put as much butter flavored oil (not sure what it really is) as you want on your popcorn. It has got to be horrible for you, but I do it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I used to do the popcorn and soda pop thing when I went to moves when I was a kid. But I don't anymore. I'm always worried I'll have to get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the movie. That actually happened during one of the Lord Of THe Rings movies, but it was because I was going through this thing of drinking whatever amount of water it is the experts say your'e supposed to drink every day, and that made it necessary for me to visit the urinal about 2/3's of the way into the movie.

s.
    All of the theaters here now serve beer. Since it is Southwest Michigan, they sell good micro-brew beer too. I have gotten to where I almost always get a 24oz Bell's Two Hearted (or something similar) with my popcorn, but yea having to pee before the film is over can sometimes be a problem. "The Irishman" is 3 hours and 20 minutes, so I may skip the beer for this one as my old bladder can't hold out that long.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Pennzoil?!? Ah, what I wouldn't give to get Pennzoil. When I was a lad, we had to SCRAPE the used car oil off the garage floor with a butter knife.
    If you were lucky!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You had a butter knife?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.